Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on August 8, 2013
The amazon summary of this product is very detailed and highlights all of the great features you will get with this product. Sound quality is very good. The automatic calibration of my speaker setup was very accurate and took just a couple of minutes. AirPlay is fantastic. The other reviewers criticism of zone two is spot on (seriously why allow for a zone two if it will only play analogue sources when the entire point of this receiver is its almost entirely digital connectivity). However, as i have no need to play two sources from this receiver in two different areas at the same time, the ability to set up A and B speakers allows me the ability to enjoy this receiver both in my living room and on the deck (did i mention AirPlay)

For all the greatness this receiver allows there are several glaring problems.

On screen menus: seriously in 2013 pioneer can do better than the text based on screen menu setup and open up many more options on this receivers menu system.

Android/iOS app: the app on this receiver is just sad. No really sad and inexcusable. Very few people are going to buy this receiver based on the app. But there is no excuse for pioneer to have given such a horrible on screen setup and menu system and a horrible app. The 2013 control app is beautiful and only available in the next model up (1123k). There is no reason this app would not work well with the 1023k other than pioneer clearly sees this as a selling point for the 1123k. Shame on you pioneer.

Display: it is very difficult to see either in the receiver display or the television what the receiver is outputting. Is it Dolby digital, pcm, stereo?

Ps3: if you route your ps3 through this you will notice that bluray movies take a decidedly pink hue. You will have to go into your ps3 hdmi output settings for BD and set it to RBG, this will fix the issue.

Selective amp: it would be awesome if this receiver allowed me to bi-amp my front speakers and connect a B set. I am still waiting for an av manufacturer to really nail a selective amp feature that intelligently amps your speakers based on your activity, not a menu setting.

Updates: on a network connected stereo, why does the manufacturer still make me go to their website and download the update to a USB drive, plug that in to the receiver go through a menu system all to update the software. This is 2013 and this receiver is Internet connected. Why does it not allow for automatic updates, or at the very least let me select update on a menu and the receiver do the rest.

None of the criticisms are about the real functionality or abilities of this receiver and that is what is so sad. This would easily be a 5 star receiver, instead pioneer seems not to have taken much interest in truly making this receiver truly user friendly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
I got this on a sale on Woot after reading some reviews here. I thought I'd return the favor and put in my two cents. In short, I agree with the other reviews here that say it's a great receiver with some slight flaws, and honestly, they are pretty nitpicky. I'd give it 4.5 stars but Amazon only lets you do whole number ratings. On to the review.

For starters, the most important thing for me isn't some control app, fancy-pants DSP or Zone 2 capability. It's all about the sound quality and the ability to drive my 5.1 system while being able to handle HDMI and other inputs as needed. And for that, this receiver is excellent, no question. I couldn't believe my ears when I plugged in my headphones to the front jack and listened to some lossless stuff coming from my computer. It was simply amazing! No noise, no distortion, just pure audio. I also really, really like Pure Direct mode, which disables all DSP and delivers the truest signal to the speakers. This receiver has no problem powering my Polk system and getting it as loud as I could want it with no distortion. So on the audio front, I couldn't be happier.

Now, I'm not an iPhone guy, but my S4 will connect to the HomeSpot Bluetooth thing (on Amazon for like 25 bones) perfectly and with no issues. No need to buy the $80 one for the Pioneer. Connecting the receiver to my router was a breeze and also works very well for streaming audio, though I find myself not really having too much of a need for it as I can just play stuff from my phone. I haven't even had any use for the app either so I can't really comment on that. I don't think that should be a primary or even secondary consideration when it comes to purchasing this device. On another note, I found the setup to be painless. I don't know what the other reviewer was talking about when it comes to being frustrated over getting it up and running. It was pretty much plug-and-play.

I could end the review here and sum it all up and restate why it's a great receiver and blah blah blah but I want to be thorough so I'll list a few things that annoy me slightly.

For one, the remote is a little annoying. There are waaaay more buttons than there need to be. Two, I feel that having Airplay but not Bluetooth and then charging 80 bucks for the Pioneer Bluetooth receiver is pretty weak. Not everyone has an iDevice and it's not like adding the Bluetooth would break the bank. Three, I would have liked to have a dedicated phono input for my turntable, but phono amps are pretty cheap (the Behringer one I bought is around 25 bucks on Amazon and it works great). Four, navigating a USB device with the on-screen menu is a total joke. I have some 192/24 stuff on a jump drive, and I plugged it into the front USB jack only to find that navigating it was overly cumbersome. If Pioneer would have spent more than 15 minutes writing the code to handle it I think it would be great. In fact, the menu in general is needlessly annoying. It's not like I interact with the whole menu on a daily basis so I don't think too much about it, but it's definitely poorly done and could have been made better with minimal effort. Like one reviewer said, this is 2013. It's like come on, Pioneer. Get with the times, man.

Apart from the aforementioned flaws and drawbacks, this is a great receiver. If you find it for a steal (i.e. < $500) you should get one, even if it won't be your primary box. The sound quality is incredible and definitely stands up to the Pioneer mark. The newer codecs are great for Blu-ray, for example, and the support for higher sample rate sources is superb. At this price point, I'd go with this over an Onkyo as this has some great new features and the network-ready aspect is pretty sweet. Go grab one!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2013
First one quit working after a month and second one screwing up after 7 months. They say it's a firmware problem and they don't have a fix but it's not defective, only inconvenient so they won't replace it. It is certainly inconvenient that the power can't be turned on via the remote, particularly since it randomly powers off frequently. I won't buy pioneer anything again if this is how they treat me. It is just as convenient for me to spend my money on another brand.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love the unit. Everything is working as expected. The only complain I have is Zone 2. Zone 2 source can only be an analog audio source. Plus it seems, the only way you can turn on Zone 2 is using the button on the receiver. So if you are looking for a 7.1 channel system then it is a great unit, otherwise save your money and buy VSX-823-K.
on July 6, 2014
When I think Pioneer, I think a quality product. I've been using Pioneer receivers for years and have no found problems with them.... Until I bought this one.

Bought this over a year ago, out of the box, it was complicated. No instructions. Except a piece of paper pointing to a link to read the Manual online via PDF file. But, figure I give it a chance. Built in Pandora, Net Radio and use of 7.1 surround, 4k Ultra HD. I was thinking of the future!

Shame this receiver didn't last as long. After 11 months. I got a blinking red HDMI light, receiver was non-responsive. It was literally just a 300 dollar brick. I felt cheated. Pioneer really lost a loyal customer, warranty is crap and you must find a independent service provider to have this repaired. If you are looking for quality, you won't find it with this.

I'll be looking into other brands from now on, unfortunately.
on March 2, 2014
Got mine from woot at about $250. But I am going to sell it.
I have about a half hour till the store opens up and I can go get real HDMI switching amp. So I thought I would vent here a little.

Problem 1)
HDMI switching is pretty damn s***ty...
All cables and hardware are what was in use prior to getting this amp. That setup had no issues with HDMI except from being a bit convoluted - hence wanting an HDMI switching amp
* Repeatedly saw strange color gamut on one input.Had to cycle power on the amp to fix.
* Panasonic 3D Display, and Panasonic 3D Blu-ray do not see each other through this amp - so will not play 3D from Blu-Ray.
* Xbox one HDMI is not recognized - static, or black screen. Tried multiple cables and two separate inputs on the Pioneer. (Works fine when direct to display.)
* Acer Aspire REVO (Nvidia ION / Win 7) - and when switched through the Amp - exhibits bad overscan. I would think that a digita; resolution of 1920 x 1080 would pass without issue through the amp and onto the screen. Nope. Had to remote into the REVO with teamviewer and poke around in Nvidia control panel to correct the issue. (I hope this is not indicative of all HDMI switching amplifiers.)
Problem 2)
Firmware update is a whiny bitch: After trying 4 different flash drives - the unit refuses to see the update file. I was hoping a firmware update would fix the issue(s) above. Some of the USB keys I tried are older cheap Chinese 'promo' crap @ 128 Megs in size, formatted in FAT32. You'd think the Pioneer would be happy with them, seeing as they are likely from the same family. Nope.

So I am giving up on this turd, and will will get another brand.

Problem 3)
WTF is the point of (1), Uno, single, solitary, component input, coupled with a component monitor out? Seems stupid. But that's my fault for buying on impulse.

I was happy with my Old Pioneer - recognizing it as a pretty good value. Shame, this unit destroyed that perception.

Edit: So.. went to bricks and mortar place (sniff, sniff, love you Amazon but I gotta time crunch....The Oscars tonight) Yamaha VX-575 (or such)amp....
The first test (Damned hard to pass) = 3D from pannny player to panny TV through amp = GOOOOAAAAALLLLLL!!!! Everything else was just butter.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I guess I'm getting old, as I remember when these had a bunch of analog stereo RCA inputs, plus a special one for a phonograph. There might be a gimmicky DSP for audio effects, but that was about it. Likewise if there were four or more speaker jacks, they were additional "zones" as well as simulated "surround" (pre Dolby Pro-Logic).

Now it's a whole new ball game, as this is one feature rich beast. It has a lot of what used to be there, but that's old news. Bluetooth, apps, HDMI out the wazzoo, and network play. It's a bit overwhelming, but it all just works. Automated calibration is so awesome (way better than using a tape measurer and a calibrated ear), and it just sounds good. The app, as noted in another review is lacking, and the whole industry has usability challenges that languish, as no one has really knocked that out of the park. If you like gadgets, or have a familiarity with modern receivers, you'll love this. Otherwise it may just be too much.

I paired this with a BIC America FH-56 Surround Sound Bar with BIC Acoustech PL-200, and the results are awesome!
on October 25, 2013
This receiver was easy to set up, easy to use, and sounds great! The signal pass-through when it is turned off works just fine, so we can just use the TV speakers while we watch the news. I paired it with Energy Take 5 Classic speakers. Sports, TV shows, and music sound great! I haven't tried a movie yet.
on December 22, 2014
It was a big step up from my Denon 5.5, I lived the connectivity and app until I used it for a month. I started seeing glitches in the system and the unit kept overheating. Finally 5 months later it went into what I learned was protection mode, which basically kills it till you do a hard reset. Since Pioneer is too cheap to send a paper user guide I had to wait three days tull I heard back from the tech line via email on how to reset. When I switched back to te Denon 5.5 I realized it was an actually superior system. Sad. Just sad. Good intention by Pioneer but terrible execution. I am scared to set it back up, scared to try and install the firmware updates via jump drive (really??? It's 2014 Pioneer), and to continue to use the app. Overall I am sad i had to learn what a bunch of junk Pioneer is making first hand. Now it's time to find a real piece of equipment. I need a unit with a solid zone2 that atually plays what you want ( 1023 only plays analog sources), syncs with a usable app, doesn't over heat, and sounds good. Any recommendations?
on November 21, 2013
I purchased this receiver from another website for $299 so I got a little better deal than what Amazon is advertising. I have had it hooked up now for about 2 weeks and everything still works (as far as I know). I have the satellite speakers from the Logitech Z-5500 series hooked up and a 12in Acoustic Audio subwoofer. For having a cheaper set of speakers and sub this receiver kicks out great sound. Hooking everything up to the receiver itself was simple and easy. Calibration through the MCACC took no time and did a pretty good job. The only thing that is bothersome is that if you have a "smart tv" some of the auto switching may not work properly occasionally and if you use any apps through your TV it may not be compatible with the receiver and not allow audio to be put through (mostly Samsung smart TVs). I only use about 6 buttons on the remote of the 100 on it but its nice to have some of the capabilities it does have. Another thing that is pretty annoying is that they only give you a simple instructions on paper. If you want a more in depth manual its a CD you have to put into a CPU.

Overall wonderful upgrade from what I had. Budget receiver with great sound and options. Not recommended for a high end set up