4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for all levels - with some limitations
Published on July 30, 2012 by Robert Klaproth

3.0 out of 5 stars nice entry level controller
Pioneer does it again with this entry level controller. I got it as a back up/hold over till I can afford the more spendy pro-dj gear line. I've used it in the club a hand full of times along side the Pioneer 1000s, and it has functioned great.

Published 14 months ago by razorburns

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for all levels - with some limitations, July 30, 2012
Robert Klaproth (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
I have been a DJ for 10 years. i learned how to DJ on Denon 2100 dual CD players with a Pioneer DJM mixer, and later taught myself to DJ with vinyl. From there, it's been CDJ and DJM and I've never looked back - especially since this is the industry standard in the clubs and the products are built like tanks. But let's face it, with tank-quality products, comes tank heavy weight, and when I'm doing a mobile gig in someone's back yard or when someone asks me to DJ their birthday party, all that club-quality gear is just over kill. In addition, I really got tired of burning CD's all the time, so I made the switch. First, I got the Pioneer CDJ-200's, and used them with Virtual DJ Pro. While the CDJ200's are great little units, the latency was just killing me! Half the time I would push a button and it wouldn't immediately respond. The pitch slider wouldn't always stay in sync. Plus, I was still lugging 2 cd players and a mixer around, so I decided to take the plunge and this is my first real DJ controller.

Some people say this device is for beginners. I say, the only thing that makes this device a "beginner quality" device is the Virtual DJ LE software that comes with it. Do yourself a favor after you buy this thing (and are 100% certain you want to DJ on your laptop), and buy the pro version. With your license code, you get 50% off the Virtual DJ Pro software, and will have unlocked the full functionality. With that said, I will say that the majority of club DJ's I know use Serato and as of the time of this writing, this product is not compatible with Serato, only Virtual DJ and Traktor. So if you're a Serato kind of DJ, you will want to look else where.

I use a Mac, and installation of this product was a breeze. I hooked up the product to my laptop, plugged in a pair of powered speakers, and was jamming in no time. I did take the time to update Virtual DJ and update the firmware, which I highly recommend before getting started. This product is a lot of fun to use, and will take your DJ skills to the next level. You can do so many effects, samples, and other fun stuff that it makes DJing more fun for me again after doing it for 10 years. It has pretty much all the features that real CDJ players have (minus the CDs). The sound card quality, I haven't used this with a live gig, so I can't yet vouch for that, but it sounds good on my speakers at home. I heard they put a pretty good sound card in this thing.

So what don't I like about it? Well, for one, it doesn't work with every program, so if I want to switch to Serato I'm not going to be able to. Second, I wish it had real volume meters on it like the Pioneer mixers do, this product is intended to replace your mixer and your cd players to lighten your load as a mobile DJ, but without being able to see my volume levels when I'm mixing, I'm going to have to go back to the old school way of using my ear, which can be a bit difficult if you don't have an extra set of monitor speakers. Third, sometimes, I notice that the trim knobs don't stay in sync with the software, i.e. when you load the next track if you don't reset your trim on the board, your trim will be up but in Virtual DJ the trim is reset to 0. I am waiting on a response back from support on the trim issue. This could be a serious annoyance if your a DJ who prides yourself in sound quality. Lastly, the whole putting your laptop under it is pretty much worthless. It cuts off the bottom half of your screen so when you're scrolling through a list of tracks in virtual dj you can't see the bottom half of the list. In addition, you have zero access to the keyboard or track pad on your laptop so if you need to switch out of virtual dj and go to itunes or google or something while a song is playing, you're not able to. I recommend you use a wireless keyboard and mouse with your laptop, OR, get a quality laptop stand and put the DDJ Ergo UNDER your laptop rather then putting the DDJ ergo over the laptop. :)

Now if I could just find a backpack that fit the Ergo and my laptop together I'd be on cloud nine. Another thing that would be nice would be a booth monitor output and volume in case I do want to bring monitor speakers and monitor in between mixes, but I guess this is more for house parties and small scale gigs rather then ones where you need a booth monitor. :)

I think for the price, this product can't be beat. Think about it, 2 CDJ-350's will set you back at least 800-1000 bucks, then add another 400-600 bucks for your mixer, and you've got a lot of cash just to get started as a DJ. I'll come back and update this review after I do a few gigs with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for a new DJ, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
It looks great, functions great. Within minutes I was able to make all the crazy sounds and effects Justice make in their live album, which pleases me greatly.

Two tips: update the firmware (you get it from the Pioneer site), and start with the application called "djay" - it's simple, but you'll probably end up being a better DJ if you start with a simple program than something more complex and frustrating. I like the Virtual DJ program that comes with the device, but it's interface is way too complex for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Layout., September 6, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
I think this is an absolutely fantastic product for the price. I have previously owned Pioneer CDJs costing four times what the ergo does, but it has far better functionality.

It is called the Ergo for a good reason, it is exactly the right size, with all of the controls well spaced out and exactly where they should be. Being used to CDJs I much prefer the large jog wheels and traditional two decks and a mixer layout to many of the more cramped and fiddly DJ controllers that are out there.

The build quality is slightly plasticky compared to Pioneer's Pro DJ range, but it is well made and all of the controls work just as well as they do on the more expensive Pioneer models. Considering that this is a Pioneer product which works with Virtual DJ, Serato Intro or Traktor Pro it is hard to see how you could make a better purchase at this price point, or even for considerably more money.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth The money for what it is, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
I got my gear stolen and was able to get this quickly in a pinch. It really came through for me and had everything I needed to do some shows, while my big stuff was being reordered. Sure, the build quality is poor, but it functions well as a pioneer product and is really inexpensive. On top of that, they give you the LE version of Virtual DJ (A specific version made for this controller w/skin) and also allow you to save $150 if you want to upgrade to Virtual DJ Pro. It's a great back up to the DDJ SX or the CDJs and would be perfect for beginners. It's even great if you have a small gig or a party, not only because it's so lightweight, but sometimes too much gear is just overkill. I feel much more comfortable letting friends mess around on this during a party, than on my expensive equipment. For me, I kind of feel like this is similar to those $20 mirrored aviator sunglasses you can buy. They're not the Ray Bans but they're also not the dollar store special either. Because of that, it is probably the piece of gear that will come through for me time and time again, and always be there for me when I need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer DDJ ERGO V, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
This is exactly what I wanted...it is amazing.
It works as expected and the party start when I turn on my controller

3.0 out of 5 stars nice entry level controller, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)

It's a bit lighter weight than I'd prefer though build quality wise.... the sliders are not as smooth as I'm used to with Pioneer gear, the Jog wheel is not as precise, the knobs are not quite as solid.

But with that said, it IS well made, it DOES work very well and it IS very easy to use once set up.

I definitely would recommend this to a beginning dj or as a back up unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Controller!!!, January 4, 2013
I'm loving it!!!

Awesome layout, system, setup, interface and format.
With a good computer and amplifiers you can perfectly throw a party.

Its a compact and complete portable equipment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent controller for its size and needs, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
Works good with and quality gold plated connectors. Cross fader is way to light and small. Not impressed with software integration. I use Serato DJ INtro and it works however the light sensors on the controller do not show beat match, effect cue lights or volume light notifications with Serato. Biggest thing missing but important to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars DJ maker, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
This is a great mobile dj set. Has what you need to start out as a DJ and mix songs. It is small, does not weigh a lot. Perfect for a person who wants to start DJ-ing and also a person who already does. It has the basic DJ mixing features. It is mobile and a good size. I have enjoyed learning on it so much, all ages will like this. Was sent quickly from Amazon. A perfect gift for a future DJ or in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool design and great product, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V DJ Controller (Electronics)
Very nice piece of gear for new to mid level DJ's. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the higher end models such as CDJ 800, 1000, or 2000. But it get's the job done with style. The illuminated platters are really cool and help novice DJs with beat pulse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›