Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on November 30, 2011
Got this player for 1 week now, replace my Sony ES series BD player.. This is a real quality player in both Video and Audio,,, I link this with a SC57 Elite AV receiver and a set of B&W 805s, the PQLS feature did made a difference. I 1st start with a loaner Oppo93, my wife and I can said BDP-53 is better. I am enjoying it with my Sony 3D projector with 120in screen !
44 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2012
I upgraded from my original Sony blu-ray player which was seemingly dog-tired all the time, taking minutes to load blu-rays and often having difficulty doing so. The BDP-53FD is significantly faster and has had no difficulty loading any of my Blu-ray, DVD, or CD discs, including DVD-Audio discs. The network streaming features are decent (Pandora, etc.) and I can control the device with my iPad along with my VSX-1121. Supports the full gamut of audio and video formats including the latest HD audio and 3D video formats. I have been very happy with the audio quality and the video quality is superb both for up-scaling DVDs and Blu-ray. No complaints here - a consistent performer.
on January 3, 2012
Purchased through ABT at a GREAT PRICE for Christmas. Paired with a Panasonic VT Series Plasma ... Picture is unreal! Pioneer is making their own player again and has hit a home run with the 52/53 FD series. Oppo has some serious competition at a much lower price ... Enjoy!
on August 15, 2012
The quality of the picture is excellent. I had some problems with the set-up. For some reason the sound default for the HDMI Out is PCM. It should be bitstream. The first two times I reset it to bitstream it went back to the original default after it was turned off and then back again the next time I wanted to use it. Finally it accepted the change to bitstream. I don't know why but I am glad it did for whatever reason. It also has an annoying habit of not responding to the "on" command from the remote, the on/off button on the player or the cable remote. I have learned that if you unplug the power cord and then plug it back in it will then respond to all three again. I hoped that when I updated the software that it would fix this since it must be affecting others before me but after the update it still does it. What a shame when in other respects it seems perfect.
on April 26, 2012
In my media room I am running a Sharp LC-70LE735U 3d display, a Pioneer SC1525K 3d reciever, a Bell 1080p 3d satellite reciever, all of which play through Paradigm reference Studio 100's in front and back, Paradigm reference center and 2 Paradigm reference Servo 15 subs.

The only thing missing was a good, no make that a great 3d Blu-ray player. I bought a Sony 3d blu-ray player, I bought a Panasonic 3d blu-ray player, I bought a Samsung 3d blu-ray player and they were all good but not great. Then an article on the new Pioneer BDP-53FD 3d blu-ray player caught my attention and a week later Amazon delivered the new Pioneer to my door.

Now please note that I am in this for the best quality video and audio, not for ease of streaming or netflix or vudo or whatever else I can get through the internet, so when I hooked up the BDP-53FD and slipped Fools Gold into the slot I actually jumped out of my leather chair and did a dance of joy.

When friends come over to watch a movie, or family gathers to enjoy a concert everyone of them experiences that "wow" factor only a system working in perfect harmony can produce. Even my friend with an Oppo 95 has admitted to just a hint of envy at the way the the Pioneer BDP-53FD has made my system complete.

So if you care about the quality of the picture and sound as much as I do then the Pioneer Elite BDP-53FD is a perfect fit. You may never want to leave your media room again.

Enjoy
Hollywood
British Columbia
04/26/2012
on May 3, 2012
I ordered this unit based on initial reviews and online research. My first unit arrived, and I integrated it into my home stereo system. Every disc I played (CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray) sounded and looked fantastic. I was thrilled. By the second day, I was not. The player refused to recognize any disc I put in. I upgraded the firmware; I unplugged and reset the unit. All to no avail. I returned the unit for a new one from the seller. The new unit arrived, and I then set it up. The new player worked flawlessly - for three weeks. Now, it is completely unresponsive - to the remote, to actually physically pressing the power button - everything except disconnection of the power cable. The seller has been great throughout all of this. I am returning the unit for a full refund. I will now be trying an Oppo BDP-93. I advise any and all to stay away from this player. I have a new Pioneer Elite SC-55, and it has worked flawlessly. I am not here to bash Pioneer, just this particular product. The only reason this is one star is that there is no way to award 0.
on September 18, 2013
Will not play Blu ray disk any longer. Version 3.18 (latest) firmware installed. Firmware disk was ordered from Pioneer but never received. Downloaded from Pioneer and installed via USB. It plays DVDs but no longer plays Blu rays. It went through a fading of sometimes it might play a Blu ray then stopped all together. I'm guessing the factory doesn't protect from ESD.
on May 4, 2014
I have this player and love the picture and sound which to me are the most important factors.

In order to make smoother use of all it's functions and have no problems with inconsistent response to remote/power button I just plug it into a small power bar and use it to turn the player of and on. As these newer blue ray players are more like computers than disc spinners I think it is easy for them to get confused with all the functionality.

ie: Disc spinner, USB Flash drive, HDD playback (fat & NTFS), 2 channel analog (with an excellent AKM 4480 DAC chip), optical and HDMI playback of BluRay, SACD & DVD-Audio, DVD, CD, POLS etc. etc.

In fact I'd get more confused than the BluRay player does if I hadn't been involved with hi-res and computer audio for so long ;)

They are created by humans after all, who have incorporated those many functions into the player (some of which have not been around for that long or at least not been implemented in the same unit at this price). I know Oppo has done much the same but they are not entirely glitch free either.

Cycling them helps a lot (as my cable PVR does on it own every night).
on February 18, 2016
Definitely recommend some kind of mouse- certain apps require swiping, which I never could figure out with the included remote. The remote itself is passable. Definitely a bonus, and helps to get you started, but at some point you'll want a better input device.
I also plugged in a 2TB hard drive via a usb caddy, and the Gbox read everything fine!
on February 18, 2012
The BDP-53FD is a perfect companion to the receive on both 2D & 3D with a big plus of playing my SACD's. Very sweet sounding combination.

No complaints.