4.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver and afforable
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

After setting up the unit and running it's automatic calibration it really sounded pretty good for movies and video games!

Published 6 months ago by Timothy R. Bearup

4.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver and afforable, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Elite SC-71 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I just bought the SC-71 after spending a week checking out last year models such as SC-61 and SC-63. I have 7.1 Onkyo TX-SR876 for a few years and it's time for upgrade. The Onkyo has 140 watts per channel but its running hot and lacking of HDMI, Pandora, etc. I went to Best Buy and checked out SC-61, SC-63 because they were on clearance for $750 and $830. Best Buy has the new SC-71 hook up in their Magnolia theater and I was blown away by the sound when comparing to my old Onkyo. Pioneer did a great job with the new Elite receivers and their prices are lowered. The SC-71 is around $1k retail; however, I bought it on Ebay for around $800, cheaper than the old SC-63.

The SC-71 is lighter and smaller when comparing to my monster Onkyo that weighs almost 50 pounds. Set up was a easy and I spent about 1 hour to complete the set up including full MACCC. This receiver is loud and bright plus it matches my speakers. I'm a happy camper.

My home theater set up:

Panasonic 65" ST30 plasma
Pioneer SC-71 7.2 receiver (new)
Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player
HTPC
Def Tech BP7001SC (2)
Def Tech CLR2002 center
Def Tech BP2X surrounds (4)
Def Tech Super Cube 1 (1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Receiver, January 27, 2014
M. Reid (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm somewhat surprised to read some of the other reviews of this receiver, and even more surprised at the prices it sells for. In my opinion, the Pioneer SC-71 is one of the best values in the Home Theater market. And, while it's apparently true that Pioneer won't honor the warranty on Internet purchases of their receivers, I couldn't pass up on the savings. I wanted to purchase from Best Bye, but as they refused to price-match the SC-71, the difference in prices was too great to ignore.

Anyway -- if you think you should be able to plug in your receiver, connect the wires and components, adjust the bass and treble, and be done with it -- you're probably looking at the wrong receiver. Some of the critics of this receiver are critical of the complicated setup, and it's true, this receiver takes some time to understand, master, and optimize the settings. If you aren't willing to put some time and effort into it, you're right -- this receiver probably isn't for you. However, I can promise that if you put a little time into it, maybe even download the user manual before the unit arrives and read through most of it, you will be rewarded with a great receiver that will likely last you a very long time. This receiver is capable of performing everything I want my receiver to do -- and then some!

Late last year, I installed a Panasonic plasma ST60 in another room, and after several trials settled on a DVDO Air3 wireless transmitter to get the signal to this TV. My previous receiver would supply the signal, but only if I kept the receiver performing the same function in the other room. For example: to watch Tivo on the "remote" TV, I had to watch Tivo on the transmitting TV. Not any more. Now, I can listen to music on one, and watch Tivo on the other. As far as I'm concerned, that's worth the price of the upgrade alone!

Setting up your equipment sounds complicated, but it's not as bad as it sounds. The MCACC system is very similar to Audyssey used on other brands. If you don't like the results, you can tweak or override on manual settings. Again, not something you will probably know to do instinctively, but if you read the manual, you will figure it all out.

The only negative I have about Pioneer receivers is the need to purchase separately a Wifi and bluetooth adapter. I wish these were included in the box. If I had paid full price, I'd be more bothered by it, but since the price on Amazon was so low, I could purchase the adapters and insurance for less than the unit costs in the brick and mortar stores. Pandora and Spotify are now native on the receiver (with latest firmware upgrade), but with the Wifi adapter and bluetooth, you can stream essentially anything to this device and expect it to sound great. This is a big receiver, with big power. If you're willing to invest a little time learning how it works, you'll be happy with this receiver.

I highly recommend the SC-71 receiver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the receiver but now I need a new TV, October 3, 2013
I got my receiver in the mail last week and couldn't wait to hook it up. It was replacing an older Elite that didn't have 1080 pass through. Hooking it up was easy because everything can plug into it with HDMI and I only have to run one HDMI to the TV. Fired it up and low and behold, my TV wouldn't recognize it. My TV is only about 4 years old and it will not let me switch to any input that doesn't have something plugged into it. Because it doesn't detect the receiver, it wont let me switch to that input. So I had to run another cable from the DVR to the TV again and another audio cable to the receiver from the DVR. In order fro me to enjoy ALL the Elite has to offer, I'm going to have to buy another TV. To be fair, I would have to say it's more my TV's fault then the receivers but I would have liked to have seen some kind of warning of these kinds of issues like "may not be compatible with TV's over 4 years old". Other then that, it looks and sounds fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp & detailed sound., December 3, 2013
My wife and I went to best buyy looking to pick up one of the 3 receivers (Denon x4000, Yamaha 1030 and Marantz 6007) out of those 3 receivers Yamaha 1030 was the best. As we were about to leave the store my wife asks me about pioneer and that for the heck of it she wants to compare it to yamaha. I asked store associate to turn that receiver on for us not expecting much from it. OMG were we pleasantly surprised/shocked by it. Both yamaha and Pioneer sounded good during speech and big explosion scenes. What separated the two were the small back round detail. With Pioneer you could hear more of foot steps, fire burning in the back round. All the receivers were tested playing Avatar movie and music from my wife's ipod.

1.0 out of 5 stars Many interface/settings issues, "AMP ERR" on day 30, no warranty, January 4, 2014

Music was a bit different, though. Stereo sounded fine, but the "EXT STEREO, which should send a stereo signal to all speakers equally seemed to emphasize the center and fronts and left the surrounds and rears almost silent. Turning off MCACC made the volumes closer, but still the rear speakers were very quiet, and I was never able to get them where I wanted them, even using a separate profile that mode. It was very disappointing, as I had used similar modes on other receivers from Yamaha and Onkyo and they did exactly what I expected and wanted with just a push of a button. The mode also was not selectable if the source was sending a stereo signal over HDMI in a format identified as multichannel. For example, my computer was set to 7.1 channel output and I wanted to play some music (stereo), but I could not choose "EXT STEREO" because the receiver saw a 7.1 channel format. This had worked fine with an Onkyo receiver I had previously used.

Overall, I felt my use resulted in too much switching between settings (having to change the calibration profile every time I changed listening modes). 6 calibration profiles made that a lot easier, but it was still annoying.

HDMI switching was fine, though I could not find a way to access HDMI #6-8 directly. They could not be assigned to another input, and the remote only had a button to cycle through HDMI 4-8. An android app to control the receiver proved to be a much better remote control. The App may be the best part of this receiver, and if you have a compatible model, I would recommend you try it.

Video conversion was something I never used because I only used 1080p sources on a 1080p television. I would have eventually used some older sources, but the receiver failed before I could try them. The options for video conversion were very limited, however.

The power off/HDMI pass through worked fine.

Then on day 30 the display read "AMP ERR" and the unit could not be turned on again. Pioneer customer service helped me reset the receiver by telling me to hold "Zone 2 on/off + Tune down" with all of the speakers disconnected, and then reconnecting the speakers one at a time to find which speaker was causing the problem. The receiver powered up normally without speakers and with all 7 speakers for another week, but then the error occurred again. I then got the error with no speakers connected, indicating it was a problem with the unit.

Pioneer then refused to provide any further service because I had purchased an "Elite" receiver through an online retailer. (Fun fact: there are no authorized online retailers for Pioneer Elite products!)

So anyone considering this receiver for its strength in movies and video games, be aware that there is no included warranty and that the square trade warranty is a really good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, September 9, 2013
R. K. Pepe "Pepe" (Connecticut, Florida, Texas) - See all my reviews
Get this unit NOW! This is the one. D-3 amplification. Incredible 7.2 surround experience. God help me - I have become that which I mocked in earlier days of my life- an audiophile. I did not think I could not get a better sound from my system (for the buck that is) from my Pioneer vsx 53. But I bit the bullet on this unit and was well rewarded with a much improved sound that I thought impossible. I listen to 5.1 surround DVD-Audio and SACD and DTS music almost exclusively but even CDS as putrid as they are a source are vastly improved and can be enjoyed in amazing surround sound (NEO10 etc).

Any review less than 5 is a matter of knob and feature preference friends.

One more thing I still own and operate the 3 other Pioneer receivers I have bought in the last 30 years NEVER a problem. That is why I am still a loyal customer.

Tested with Emerson Lake and Palmer's DVD-Audio of Brain Salad Surgery via OPPO 103, Klipsh ICONS F /r/c/ front sw/ Mirage 15" rear SW, Mirage omni -stats (R surround & L surround) Epson 3020 projector to 108 inch screen,

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, however, very complex, January 27, 2014
Let me first say I am very pleased with this receiver. The sound is awesome and the interface with my Mac Book, iPhone and iPad is quite impressive.
On the down side - the electronic manual is not written for the average person. I am pretty good with manuals and I struggled with this one. The remote is not very well thought out but the interface with the iPhone and iPad more than makes up for it.
My thoughts -
This receiver is not a plug and play. It is a sophisticated piece of electronics and does require programing of all the input and output functions. Once you figure out how to program I think you will love the results.
Note - I have connected the receiver via ethernet to my router providing a wireless interface with my Mac Book computer, iPad and iPhone. With this I cannot find any reason to add the bluetooth adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound Quality and Features for Reasonable Price, January 8, 2014
Scott N. Mohler (Daniel Island, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
I replaced an older Pioneer Elite receiver (which cost about 50% more at the time) for this one, so that I could switch from component/composite to HDMI connections. The sound improvement is astonishing! The auto MAACL feature works amazingly well--balancing the surround sound output from my 5.1 speaker system without me having to tweak a thing. For the true audiophile, there are precision controls that allow you to create the exact listening experience you want. But be warned--you will probably need to refer to the extensive PDF manual to figure out how to take full advantage of this receiver's capabilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing receiver, terrible remote control., April 25, 2014
The power and clarity of this receiver is unbelievable. I would have given it five stars except the remote control is a cheap piece of junk. All the buttons on the remote are the same size and are labeled with tiny text that can barely be seen during the day and impossible to see at night. This receiver can be setup using a personal computer over your existing home network. I wasn't impressed with the software provided by Pioneer. At one point during setup an alert popped up on the monitor telling me I had reversed the polarity on one of my speakers, wrong. False alarm. I checked all the connections on the speaker and the receiver and I did not reverse the polarity. Obviously a software problem. This is the only receiver I have ever owned that I can increase the volume to ridiculously high levels without experiencing any audible distortion or clipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT UNIT, April 21, 2014
GREAT UNIT VERY EASY SET UP AND INSTALLATION WITH THE CD ALSO HAS ALL
THE CINEMATIC OPTIONS LIKE DOLBY, DTS AND MANY MORE

Pioneer Elite SC-71 (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
$1,100.00 $820.00