5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS RECIEVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on January 9, 2012 by me

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY - PIONEER WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY
Published 22 months ago by Jeremy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY - PIONEER WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer Elite VSX-51 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver (Electronics)
I was very excited to buy this ELITE receiver. Haven previously owned a Pioneer receiver I had no hesitation when I saw the price and features. I hooked up all the connections (TV, PS3, XBOX) and was impressed by the sound and functionality (Airplay). After a few weeks I started to notice a few issues with the performance. The unit would turn itself off randomly and towards the end an HDCP error would appear. I called Pioneer and they told me to take it to an authorized repair shop as it was still under warranty. While this was unfortunate I understand problems happen and took it in without being to upset. After a couple days in the repair shop they called to inform me Pioneer does not honor the warranty since it was bought online. Only at authorized sellers such as Best Buy (I wont even comment on Best Buy being honored over Amazon). I called Pioneer in hopes this was a simple mistake and was basically told I was SOL. Thankfully I was able to obtain a refund from Amazon even though the return period had passed. My review is more of caution. The unit worked great while it worked. Once I had an issue Pioneer wouldnt honor the warranty. Please keep this in mind before purchasing.

PS This is the first review I have ever written online. Pioneer made me that upset. I will never buy from them again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer VSX 51, August 21, 2012
Got this about 3 weeks ago, sounded great , everything was fine and all of a sudden no sound, waited over the weekend to call Pioneer, before calling I turned it on again and worked just fine, but didn't last too long sound went out again, called Pioneer and they said the receiver is bad, and since I bought it at Amazon they will not cover the warranty, fortunately its still under the Amazon 30 day policy so I am returning it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Experience, August 1, 2012
Pioneer Elite VSX-51 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V ReceiverI recieved this unit from Amazon and after only 60 days in use, it failed with no recourse with either Amazon or Pioneer for warranty work. Turns out that Pioneer does consider Amazon an authorized reseller of Pioneer products and therefore will not honor any warranty work. The failure did occur outside the 2 month return window so therefore Amazon will not accept the unit for return.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS RECIEVER!!!!!!!!!!!, January 9, 2012
I bought this receiver to replace my old Onkyo that finally finished breaking down. I bought a Denon, that I later returned when I realized that Zone 2 could not be played without taking over the main room's speakers. This meant that I could not enjoy music on the back patio with my adult friends while my kids and their friends watched a movie in the family room. Pioneer's receiver solved this problem and delivered far more. The audio quality is fantastic and the integration with Apple's Airplay is AWESOME!!! I love that I can be in another room and between the Apple Remote app and the Pioneer app I can intiate Airplay, control, volume, change settings on individual zones, etc. The set up was extremely simple and everything works seemlessly!!!

I have zero complaints. It does exactly what it says it will do and does it well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so elite!!!!, July 10, 2012
This receiver is high on features and low on quality. I should have known as soon as I took this unit out of the box that it was going to disappoint. I have never been a fan of Pioneer, but many people have told me that the Elite line is top quality stuff. The first thing I noticed was the cheap plastic knobs. Once I hooked up all of the speakers, I was less than impressed with the sound quality. My 8 year old Yahama has a much superior sound. I must say I loved the Airplay and all of the HDMI hook-ups, but after about 5 minutes the unit shut-off. I turned it back on and it work for about an hour and then it did the same thing. The next day I checked all of the speaker connections, but the unit would still turn itself off for no reason. I called Pioneer's customer service helpline and I was told by their rude customer service rep that I would need to take it in for service because the amp is bad. Needless to say, I am not going to repair a receiver that is less than a week old. I am returning the unit and doing what I should have done in the first place....buy a Yahama.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Warranty from Pioneer!!!!!!, November 28, 2012
Receiver sounded great but remote stopped working. Called Pioneer to get the issue fixed and was told the warranty was voided becuase I purchased their product online. Their customer service is horrible!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Amazon for taking responsibilty for Pioneers lack of customer service skills!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS RECEIVER, February 20, 2013
This is a great receiver, however to get the best use it needs to receive internet from a land line, not wifi. Once you do this, it works great!!! The airport that is used with itunes is fantastic!!. The app that they make for android or apple products is also a plus. The only downside is, if you want something with a little more power, you might wanna look for similar model with increased wattage. Other than that, for the money, it is a great receiver. PS, pioneer does not back warranty if you purchase through amazon, fyi.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, unit is sold as-is. No warranty., January 17, 2013
Be warned, Pioneer will not honor their warranty on any Elite product purchased online. Direct from Pioneer:

"Elite product is not to be purchased online.
You must buy direct from a Pioneer authorized dealer (brick and mortar store).

Your product would not be covered under the Pioneer limited warranty if
purchased online. Although some of the dealers do
carry their own warranties on products purchased under these types of
circumstances."

So you are basically buying this as-is. If something happens outside of the 30-day amazon return window, you have no recourse other than to pay for repairs yourself. And the extended warranty is useless because it does not take effect until the manufacturer's warranty runs out. So if it breaks after 30 days and you bought the square trade warranty, you have to wait the remainder of the two years to get it repaired. They don't care if Pioneer won't honor their warranty, they are not going to cover for Pioneer.

So my question is why would Pioneer make amazon.com an authorized dealer, and give them Elite products to sell if they don't want them to and then in turn not back their product. This is Pioneers fault, not amazon. Amazon actually cares about their customers and Pioneer does not. Bad business, bad policy Pioneer. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Pioneer, so I am going to try another brand that will stand behind their high end product. I understand why they have this policy, because they want it to be an Elite product line bought from Authorized dealers, so why give it to amazon.com to sell? Again, bad business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and performance, May 29, 2012
Can't complain. Works as advertised, great low price. Airplay works like a dream, it will even turn on your receiver if its off when you send it audio from your iOS device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit, June 3, 2012
RandyK (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
We were looking to upgrade our secondary TV setup in our family room where we do have surround sound, Blu-ray, and DirecTV. I just happened to have been in one of the store front retailers and they had a VSX-50 open box unit on sale. Our old unit didn't have HDMI connectors so I was running a combination of component and optical cables and really wanted to clean up the install and get closer to "state-of-the-art" sound and picture. Thought about buying it but decided to read reviews and check out pricing on Amazon. Turned out that I was able to get a brand new boxed VSX-51 for considerably less than the retailer wanted for a lower model that had been used for display. Kind of a no brainer. Maybe not the easiest unit to set up and I had some trouble using some my old HDMI cables but once it was fully up and running it's fantastic. High marks for the speaker setup process that really cleaned up a less than desirable speaker placement because of the room. We also bought the Bluetooth adapter so we could use our iPads with the system. It's right off our patio and it works like a charm to feed our favorite music over our outdoor speakers run by the new unit. That's a big bonus for us especially this time of year while we're outside so much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›