5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect....
I've looked at a lot of changers and none of them have as many well-implemented features for such a great price.
Published on August 8, 2000 by Jim Heale

3.0 out of 5 stars RANDOM PLAY: like the capacity but not the wait
Recently, my 20 yr old Pioneer PD-M6 bit the dust, so I went shopping for another Pioneer CD player and found this 300 disc player.

PROS: This holds all of my CD collection and then some.

Multi-programming capability, although I haven't had the opportunity to use them because I don't have the time to wait for the CD player to confirm my choices...
Published on October 4, 2006 by James A. Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect...., August 8, 2000
This review is from: Pioneer PD-F1009 301-Disc CD-File Changer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The main feature I like which puts this above Sony is the ability to search and store data on CDs not only by Title, but also by Artist. Although it is a huge pain to go through and create all the artist/title information - it's easier to find the CD you want in the end. I create CD Text duplicates of all my CDs and load them into this changer (the originals stay in their cases so they can be taken on trips, etc.). I then have the ability to see every song, artist, and album title. CDText is a Godsend!
The only thing bad about this product is the un-ergonomic and un-usable completely black remote control brick. You can solve this problem by using a Universal Remote which I assume most serious audiophiles will want to use anyway. I still give the changer 5 stars because I don't believe the bad remote is that big of a deal for most people.
I use the optical digital output and I'm impressed with the sound. The Changer itself is quiet and quick. I purchased a 5 year warranty because I don't trust mechanical devices, but after 18 months I've had not one problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great device for the price, February 25, 2001
Allan Rousselle (Somewhere along I-90, USA) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying that I am using the PD-F1007, which has the headphone jack that the Amazon review notes as missing from the 1009. I don't know why Amazon carries the 1009 and not the 1007, given that this appears to be the only difference, but all else seems to be in order.
As an audiophile who used to work in radio, I've amassed quite a collection of CDs, so being able to have a few hundred of them in the player at a time is great. You can also specify groups of CDs by categories; I found this handy this past Christmas when we loaded up our collection of holiday CDs and grouped them. Then, if we felt like listening to holiday music, we'd play that group on "random"; and if we were tired of the holiday cheer, we'd choose another group from which to play songs at random.
The machine is easy enough to learn how to use, and the sound quality is fine. The mechanism itself is quieter than the typical 6-CD cartridge-based changes that Pioneer and JVC make (I've never used the Sony 300 disc player), and I've found it quite suitable for playing soft background music at parties we've hosted, even with the constant CD shuffling that random play requires.
I've always been happy with the quality of Pioneer's CD-players, my previous one (a 6-changer) offering 8 years of excellent service. For the price, I don't see how you can go wrong with this player. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real workhorse. (Review updated), April 29, 2000
... ... It'll take you one full evening to get 301 CD's into it. But this isthe machine for me as I have close to 800 CD's now. The 6 discchangers just weren't cutting it. I did notice a diference in thesound quality but I think you can overcome that with digital optical cable or using a good monster cable. The big advantage with the player is the Random feature. Hey man, with 300 CD's this is DAYS worth music. We're talking not hearing the same tune twice in a week or weekend. The hell with commercial radio! I've got my own station with this player. It also has some good programming functions and I like the CD Text. My only concer is that the unit can stand up to consistent use. The last CD jukebox I bought was Sony 25CD which was in 1991. It never worked out of the box and I've been with 6Cd Onkyo since then. But alas, my collection has grown far beyond the capabilities of 6 gun changer. If you're looking for something that can handle a chunk of your large collection then this is the PD-f1009 is for you.

10/06/04:
I was going over some of my old reviews and found this one. I mentioned in the original review above I was concerned about this player's consistent usage. Well I am happy to report I have had absolutely no problems with this CD player! I would in fact buy another and daisy chain it with this one were I not using Windows XP's media features to "rip" my CD collection to a hard drive. Still I'm extremely happy with this product and commend Pioneer for its price and durability.

5.0 out of 5 stars USUAL GREAT PIONEER QUALITY, March 9, 2005
Ignoring the obviously non-objective reviews, some of which seem to have been written by people who have absolutely no experience with this unit, I chose the Pioneer over the Sony for two reasons: My four current Pioneer audio components have operated for 13 years without any failure whatsoever; and the Sony reviews, even after discounting the questionable ones, point to the possibility of complications and equipment failure.

I've waited 3 months after purchase to write this review so I could present it with some authority, and I couldn't be happier with my changer. The Pioneer is easy to use and load, changes quickly, smoothly and quietly, and has some nice program options. I find the remote to be just the right size for the job, and while it would be nice if it was lighted, I only have trouble reading it in very low light.

Having this changer has put the fun back into CD listening. The 6-disc magazine was state-of-the-art when it came out, but the years went by and I got lazy. I play CDs a lot more now that I can lie on my sofa, push a button or two, and listen to any disc in my entire collection. And all of the jewel cases are now in boxes in the attic, making lots of room for other stuff.

This is a great machine, and I suggest you not be scared off of buying one by "reviews" that barely make sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars More reliable than some might think., April 11, 2000
By A Customer
Unlike the last reviewer, I have had good luck with this changer; so far it has been trouble-free. So much so in fact that I purchased a second. The sound quality is quite good if you use the digital output and a receiver with a good A/D converter (mine is a Denon). I have an older NEC single player I still use that was top of the line a few years back (the thing weighs 35lbs and has separate digital and analog section power supplies - it is not a cheapy) and it was difficult to distinguish a difference with the Pioneer's sound quality using the optical digital outputs. Access time is quick, usually less than 8 or 10 seconds and the changer is relatively quiet and reliable. There is an Elite version of this changer that costs twice as much - it apparently has a better A/D converter. Save the money and buy this if you have a digital input on a good receiver; you won't notice a significant improvement in sound quality. A couple minor drawbacks: The remote is small and has no illuminated buttons and there is no keyboard data entry ability as on the higher-priced Sony units (which cost about a hundred dollars more). If you plan on using a slave unit, there is no digital input to the master - you have to use the analog outputs from the slave into the master, with poorer sound resulting. All in all, a good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product in the 300 CD Changer Class, April 26, 2000
I have seen/used the Sony 300 CD Changer and I have used the Pioneer 300 CD Changer and the Sony does not come close.
The Pioneer changes discs fast , user-friendly remote/jog dial and good sound quality when played through the Digital output.
I would definitely recommend the Pioneer PDF1009 for anyone considering a 300 CD Player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent changer, but wish the CDText support was better, February 5, 2006
Mitch Haile (San Jose, CA and Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've owned this changer for about 6 months. My main fear of buying a large jukebox such as this was whether it would work: Reviews on Amazon and elsewhere of Sony and JVC carousel changes seemed to indicate that failure rates were high.

I was very excited about the CDText feature: With so many CDs in the changer, an on-screen display of the CD titles without manually entering them seemed like a good feature. Unfortunately, the changer only seems to support the 'title' field. I wrote some scripts for Linux to munge the title field to include the artist, but since most of my music is in iTunes (and not on a Linux machine) I eventually quit bothering with CDText altogether (it would be nice if iTunes supported CDText) and just burning the CDs from iTunes.

My solution is that I have a print out listing of the CD slot locations. Not elegant, but it works well.

Another concern I had when buying this changer was whether it would work with CD-Rs. After reading reviews of other brands that claimed the changers were scratching CDs, I knew I was not going to put my original CDs into the changer.

I can happily report this changer works fine with CD-Rs. I've never had a store-bought CD in this changer.

I have an optical cable from the changer to my receiver; the sound is wonderful. Other reviews have mentioned hollow sound from this changer when using the analog connection, and I'm inclined to agree. Use an optical cable if possible. Regardless, it sounds as good as my other two 5 disc changers if not better (they are not high end gear, though).

Other reviews have complained the changer is slow: For me, the only place where I feel it is "slow" is when detecting that no disc is loaded into a slot. Actually changing out one disc for another seems rather fast, though of course there is a delay (but it's probably not desirable for the changer to be throwing discs around quickly afterall). Speed is not really a problem for me with this changer.

Construction is solid and the remote is well laid out and compact. This is my only Pioneer component, but I am very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars RANDOM PLAY: like the capacity but not the wait, October 4, 2006

PROS: This holds all of my CD collection and then some.

CONS: My old 6CD magazine player never made me wait more than 4-5 seconds to play its next track when in RANDOM mode. However, this 300 disc player has made me wait more than 30 seconds between tracks.

Also, when I connected the CD player - cassette recorder synchro cables between the two units, it disabled the CD player's remote. I haven't tried to record anything yet, but am discouraged by the extremely small remote for the receiver that requires a magnifying glass to read and is a "phat phinger" accident waiting to happen.

This makes it very difficult to interact with the Pioneer system without a lot of effort.

Ease of Use=2 Features=3 (historical)Quality=4

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Workhorse, March 24, 2007
H. M. Smith (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have installed 2 of these in a double ice surface arena, the home of a very busy skating school. I can say that this product under the kind of stress it receives daily is nothing short of stellar in performance and all round reliability. After 5+ years of service, these machines are showing their age a bit more each day, so they are being replaced with 2 more identical. One of the most important features in my application was loading time. We need it FAST. The Pioneer PD-F1009 is very quick from load to play, considering all the decisions it has to make from the time it is told to do something! At the opposite end of the speed spectrum is the Sony 300 disc player.

The Pioneer PD-F1009 is very, very good value for it's price and I would be surprised if one wouldn't give 15+ years of problem free service in a home application.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOM, February 24, 2006
Previously loyal customer of Sony, unfortunately, Sony service is the worst in the industry. The Pioneer PD-F1009 has worked perfectly, easy to set-up and no glitches with respect to play.

I would highly recommend that no one purchase the multi-disc Sony products, their laser reader is flawed and they refuse to be honest and return the product. It took 20 plus phone calls to get the Sony company to take back their defective product.

Rate and Discover Movies