5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, quiet, and easy to clean fountain
Published on March 22, 2010 by MsChemie

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than most
I recently ordered one of these ceramic water fountains and really like it. It is easy to assemble, its quiet, my two cats immediately went for it. It definitely stays cleaner than Drinkwell.

Published on July 9, 2010 by Marva Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, quiet, and easy to clean fountain, March 22, 2010
MsChemie (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer Pet 6022 Ceramic Drinking Fountain, Raindrop Design (Misc.)
This is the first time I've bought a fountain for my cat, and I've done quite a bit of research on them. Though there isnt much information about this fountain online compared to the drinkwell and petmate fountains, I went for this one after seeing what the insides of the other fountains looked like. I wanted to write this review in amazon so others can get a bit more information so they can make an informed choice.

The main advantages that this fountain has over others are:
1. It's CERAMIC. No scratches in the plastic leading to bacteria. No allergies to the plastic, which some cats get.
2. QUIET PUMP. The pump is absolutely silent. There are three settings on the pump and the first one gives no sounds whatsoever. I have it set on the second setting to get the sound of trickling water. The pump is still quet.
3. EASY TO CLEAN. This was the main reason I got this one. The Drinkwell and petmate fountains requires disassembly and cleaning with special brushes. This fountain is only THREE PARTS. The top part where the water flows down, the main bowl, and the pump. Since it's ceramic, I basically set it at the hottest water setting to scrub it down and sanitize. No special brushes, no bleeding knuckles.
4. NO LEAKS. Just because of the way this fountain is designed (top ceramic dish sits on top of the main bowl), there is no way it can possibly leak. Unless you crack the ceramic dishes, of course!
5. It's pretty.

The only thing I wonder about the other fountains is whether or not my cat would like the waterfall-type fountains. My cat seems to like to drink out of the part where the water comes out of the pump more than out of the bowl. Nevertheless, he gets fresh water and seems to enjoy it.

So far, I'm satisfied with the fountain, and my cat seems to like it, too. As for the pump, I'll have to see how long it lasts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, July 9, 2010

The only drawbacks to this fountain is that it does have to be refilled almost daily and you really have to watch that the top portion is placed correctly on the bowl otherwise, the water will go all over the floor. My cats are bad about putting their paw in the bowl and moving the top piece thus draining the bowl on the floor. So, I would not keep this connected if I were going out of town overnight and not able to check the bowl.

I really love the ceramic though. Its great, and not as harsh as the plastic fountains. This is a major step in the right direction, but could use a few improvements in design to keep that top piece from moving just slightly to where the water spills all over the floor.

This is an addendum to my original review of this product. I've had it a while now and the only drawback to this fountain is the top portion. I have had more water spills all over the floor and the bowl empty because my two cats put their paws in the bowl and move the top piece. When moved every so slightly, it allows the water to go everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative to plastic Pet Fountains, January 1, 2011
Let me first start with the fact that pet fountains in general are much healthier for your pets than standing water. If you are like me and don't change out your pets water daily, fountains are a must since they help constantly filter water and minimize bacteria and mold from the water. Plus, I hate the taste of tap water, why shouldn't I expect my cats to also find it less than desirable.

I have owned several different types of pet fountains pretty much since they came out over 10 years ago. And anyone who owns pet fountains knows one of the biggest pains is cleaning them. The major two leaders in the market the Drinkwell and Petmate Fresh Flow seem to dominate the market making finding filters easy. They are great, personally I found the Petmate's quieter than the Drinkwell, that and the cats seem to prefer drinking the water pouring down the slope design of the Petmate than the water tricking down the spout of the Drinkwell. The Drinkwell also didn't last as long as my two Petmates (both the large and regular size still work after some 3-5 year respectively). I also own the Hagen CatIt Fresh & Clear, which has water trickling down the sides of a dome bubble, which one of my cats loves. (Don't recommend attaching the side food bowl to the CatIt, it increase the amount of food that ended up in the water than just leaving it unattached and setting it a few inches off to the side).

So you are probably wondering why I recently ordered the Pioneer Pet Fountain when I own three other usable fountains. The answer is maintenance. The plastic water fountains must be cleaned completely by hand. They cannot be put in the dishwasher, because dishwashing detergent (doesn't matter the kind) leaves a residue on plastic, which is porous, that can be unhealthy for pets after extended use and cause water to taste like the cleaning product. Plus it is very difficult to get water scale build-up off of plastic. Yes, the water in pet fountains constantly is being recirculated, but if you think about your bathtub or toilet which gets fresh water there still builds up a ring at the top of the water level. Well I've found our water has the same problem with the pet water filter. And attempting to get it off the plastic can be difficult since again detergents you might normally use to help will leave a residue. So, I bought (received as a present from my wish list) this Ceramic Pet Fountain. Both the stainless steel variation and the ceramic one can safely be put in the dishwasher and are safe enough to run sanitizing option without concern to the plastic breakdown or melting near the heating unit. Thus making cleaning the unit easier. However, I must note that you will still need to clean the pump and pump housing by hand since they are plastic, but a small fist size item is much easier to clean than the whole unit.

--------------------------------------------------------
Pros
--------------------------------------------------------
* Easier to clean

* Heavy so it makes it much harder to tip over

* Cleaner design, allows pets who want to drink from moving water to do so without having stretch neck the water standing water reservoir (think of it from a cat's view rather than a larger dog)

* Fresh constantly filtered water for pets, without having to change out the water daily

* Ceramic one is black and there is a stainless steel one which may match someone's kitchen appliance themes (yes I realize some people care about this kind of stuff).

--------------------------------------------------------
Cons
--------------------------------------------------------
* Reminds me of a small toilet bowl with a cover for water to run down (sounds exactly like one when you hit the two ceramic pieces together)

* Much louder than the Petmate, about the same loudness of the trickling water as the Drinkwell (can be irritating to some people if their fountain is anywhere near their main living areas listening to water dripping constantly, it will be peaceful to others)

* In my opinion I would not find it suitable for medium or large dogs, the fountain only holds about 36 ounces of water, and if your dog doesn't like drinking the bubbling water the area to drink from the other water is only about 6-7 inches wide. So your larger dog would constantly be licking the top piece as they drank.

* No reservoir add-on available. Unlike the Petmate, you cannot just simply slide on an attachment which holds more water.

* The ceramic one is black, which can make it difficult for people to see the water level to know if they put too much water in, or need to add water (easier to listen to the sound of the water).

* Still have to wash some of the pieces (pump and pump housing) by hand so not completely dishwasher safe

* Same as any pet water filter, the cost of the filters can add up. And unlike fish filters you cannot just add carbon and fiber to a snap together unit. I suppose one could try, but the filter housings in this unit are fused together.

* The ceramic unit will be much easier to break if you drop it while cleaning it (Trust me I've dropped the others a few times when hands have gotten wet)

* Unlike the Petmate variation, there is no adjustment to how fast the water is pumped (ie. Bubbles on the top). There is only one speed which is fast, this has caused one of my cats to have a harder time adjusting to the unit (he's the one that loved the PetIt which has a slower and quieter trickling over the dome than any of the units I've tried)

--------------------------------------------------------

While I've only owned it for a short time over all I'm happy with the unit so far despite the cons I've listed above. I just wanted to be honest to the shortcomings, since I know they can be big issues for some people. And as we know companies are far less likely to mention them. Wouldn't you rather know what some people have experienced before spending over $40. I hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish AND practical, March 15, 2010
I bought two of these fountains after one of my cats developed a painful UTI. I wanted to encourage the cats to drink more water to avoid those kinds of health problems, and they both started drinking from it almost immediately. My two small dogs took a bit longer to get used to it but they still prefer to drink out of their regular water bowls. I don't mind though because the fountains are primarily for the cats.

These ceramic fountains are so much better than the plastic water fountains, both aesthetically (no ugly logos or institutional colours) and from a health standpoint. Plastic will harbour all sorts of bacteria but ceramic won't. It's a very simple, stylish design and is so easy to clean unlike some of the plastic fountains.

They are just like a very pleasant indoor water feature but with a practical function. The pump is virtually silent unless you let the water run low (which is, obviously, not recommended) and on a medium setting you get a nice tinkling sound of water flowing. If you don't want to hear the water running then you can set the pump to minimum flow and you won't hear it at all.

Overall, I think that it is a quality product and definitely money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars see my cat drinking from it in live action!, October 14, 2010
emily159 (Sugar Land, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:31 Mins

Here's the video I just made of my cat drinking from the fountain. It's been two weeks since mimi (my cat) started drinking from the fountain. However, this is my first time catching him drinking from the top. So for those people who are unsure if their cats would drink from it, just wait a while and see! Don't worry and just relax! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fountain- the cats love it, March 19, 2010
Joy J. "Verona" (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I've used one of the plastic pet fountains for several years now, and while it worked fine, it was a huge pain to clean. Since this one is dishwasher safe, the only thing I have to clean by hand is the motor, which means that it will actually get cleaned before it starts to look gross.

Both of my cats drink from it. One was a little wary of it for a few days, but warmed up to it.

The style of the fountain is very nice- you could almost display it like you would any other decorative fountain (I say almost because the plastic housing for the motor is white and is very obvious when you look in the bowl part) The shiny black finish also shows dust/hair a bit more than I'd like.

I'm very happy with this fountain. I've already run it through the dishwasher once and had no problems with it. I gave away my plastic fountain and am glad to see it go!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ... needs work, March 21, 2010
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Very pleasing beautiful design, but fairly useless for me because the bowl is fairly small and there is no ability to attach a refill container and my two cats could empty this bowl over the weekend. A less important but still interesting fact is that a little water splashes out occasionally. Last but not least, this ceramic is made in China and I do not trust ceramic products that are not made in the USA. I think I will return it and buy a Glacier Point. It's a little more money, but it has refill ability and is made in the USA.

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 months for this price?!, August 25, 2010
The pump in my fountain quit working in 6 months and there does not appear to be any way to purchase a replacement. I cannot afford to buy a new fountain every 6 months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, April 9, 2010
I was looking for a ceramic fountain to help my cat get rid of her chin acne. It worked. The fountain is easy to put together. You can hear when it needs to be refilled and it is easy to take apart and clean. It's relatively quiet. The only part that I wish it had was a design aspect where the water actual 'drips' or 'falls' like the design of the plastic fountains; my cats really liked that, but they use this one just as much too.

4.0 out of 5 stars My senior kitty likes it, March 19, 2010
Used to have a decorative tabletop fountain that she'd adopted as her drinking fountain - needed to find something nice-looking that had a filter and this works nicely. Heavy enough that she can't nudge it off the table, and a snap to clean. Only negative: the filters are not that easy to find and at $13 for a 3-pack and only 2-week recommended life it can add up, but hey, it's less than vet bills for contaminated water. Plus it looks good. Recommended.

Pioneer Pet 6022 Ceramic Drinking Fountain, Raindrop Design