5.0 out of 5 stars Recycle These Cartridges For Pennies
Published 17 months ago by James M. Harper

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it's doing its job...
I think the filter is doing its job (obviously I haven't tested the water). Most of the "floaties" seem to get cleaned out. Except for the cat hair which collects on the edge of the bowl.
Published on September 25, 2010 by Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars Recycle These Cartridges For Pennies, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Pet Replacement Filters for Ceramic and Stainless Steel Fountains, 3-Pack (Misc.)
Save Money and Keep Our Planet Green. Here's how to do it. Each of these little v-shaped filter cartridges is actually two plastic halves that snap together. Simply use a sharp kitchen knife to wedge between the two halves and work around the outside until the two halves come apart. Inside you will find two thin outer felt filters with a bunch of black rocks (activated charcoal) sandwiched in between. Keep the two felt filters but throw away the activated charcoal. Place the two felt filters and the two outer plastic halves in a bowl and soak in water with a splash of bleach added. Allow to soak for two hours. This kills all bacteria and mold that may have accumulated and helps clean the filter. Completely and throroughly rinse with water until no bleach smell. Allow to dry. Next go to Amazon, Wally World or your favorite pet supply store. In the fish and aquarium supply department you will find bulk activated charcoal for sale. You will recognize the black rocks and its cheap in loose bulk form. Next, just reassemble the filters with the felt on each side and pour the charcoal in one side, high enough to keep the felt pressed against the walls of the filter. Your done! I do this with about 6 filters at a time to save time and it allows me to change out my filters more frequently for cleaner water. Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Filters water? Check!, May 23, 2011
M.T. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
What can I say? These filters do their job - they keep the water clean!

We don't even change them as much as we probably should. The directions say to change them every 2-4 weeks. We have 2 cats and change them every 4-6 weeks. We could probably extend them even longer too, but decided not to push it.

To extend the life of the filters, we run them under cold water every week (when we clean the fountain).

The Amazon price is pretty good too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Clean Fresh Water ALWAYS, November 2, 2010
Dennis J. Miller (Willits, California) - See all my reviews
These filters do just what they say they do, and they do it well. I have two cats and they drink a LOT more water now that we have filtered, "active" water for them. Someone suggested these could be purchased cheaper at the "Doctors Foster and Smith" website. I went to that website and searched for "pet fountain filters" and got a dozen or so hits -- all pet fountains - no filters. I tried three times and clicked through all the products - no joy. So, I'm back at Amazon where I know I can get the filters at a reasonable price. If you have pets you know how much healthier and happier they are when they drink plenty of water. The ceramic pet fountain and these fountain filters will ensure they drink all they need, and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Bought the Water Fountain Cat Bowl Too, July 16, 2010
Richard D. Fox (Phoenix, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
I love it! My cats all love it! I had a problem with the cord, I phoned the manufacturer and without question or hesitation they sent me a new cord.

It is true, my two kittens, a year old in September, love the fountain, their favorite toy. So, they do indeed drink a lot more water, litter box will attest to that. And the two older ones, over fifteen years old also seem to spend more time interacting with the fountain and also seem to be drinking more water.

I am sure that will translate into less Veterinarian bills, since they are all drinking a lot more water, they surely will all be much healthier.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it's doing its job..., September 25, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my Petco fountain, June 27, 2012
I have a large Petco ceramic fountain for my cat and was really perplexed why Petco didn't carry the filters in stock at the store.

After hopping onto Amazon, I found these alternate brand filters and the reviews said they fit Petco fountains. I am happy to report that not only do they fit exactly and are cheaper, I have not had a single problem with them at all.

They are perfect! And with the subscribe option and/or free super saver shipping, I can stock up for half a year easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO INEXPENSIVE AND AWESOME, July 14, 2011
Padma (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I used all caps because I feel strongly about this item. When I bought the fountain I sorta hesitated because I thought it would be a such a pain and money pit to keep buying filters, but it turns out they are inexpensive through amazon and so easy to purchase that it is worth it for my little badass cat. I'm happy about these filters and pioneer pets!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Pay More, But You Get More, October 28, 2011
I had a PetMate FreshFlow fountain for several years, but after the company switched to a cheaper filter, it rendered the entire fountain useless. I had to clean the thing every other day. The Pioneer Pet teardrop fountain and its filters are more expensive, but is far superior in quality. The greatest feature is the filters. This hard case packed with an excellent charcoal filter keeps the water fresh and flowing cleanly for a month at a time. The upfront expense might be greater, but it is worth it to find a filter than actually does its job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thankful for the filter options, not eco-friendly at all, April 30, 2013
Sweet n' Sassy Shopper (Wherever The Wind Takes Me) - See all my reviews
The filters work great, however there is ALOT of plastic waste. I wouldn't have purchased this fountain had I realized that the filter(plastic and all) is tossed instead of replacing only the inside. Talk about leaving a carbon fingerprint! The manufacturer could surely come up with an option to fill the plastic casing back up instead of using a new one each time and adding so much to the landfills...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, December 26, 2012
As stated in my previous reviews, I have a dog that is a complete slob. That's why I needed something that would filter the water because otherwise he would go straight for the tolilet. He still does if I don't replace the filter every two to three weeks. The last time I cleaned out the fountain and replaced the filter, I found pine needles in the filter. Pine needles! I swear he doesn't eat pine cones or anything of that nature. I'm at a loss at how he managed to get pine needles in his water bowl. It's not like it's outside or near a door. The only thing I can think of is he purposely hid pine needles in his mouth and spit them in the bowl just to make my life interesting. Seeing as that is a highly unlikely scenario, I think it's just going to be one of life's unsolved mysteries. Anyway, these things are great for filtering out slobber, chunks of food, dirt and of course pine needles. Just be sure to replace them when the water doesn't flow like it normally does or it doesn't filter as well as it should. Depending on how much of a slob your dog or cat are, will determine how often you have to change it. Some can go longer between changes then others. Also, make sure you clean the bowl and motor at the same time. Stuff builds up when it stops filtering and it only makes sense to clean it while you already have it apart. Ther is a you tube video on how to clean the motor. Very easy once you have figured it out. It's not rocket science. I hope this helps.