5.0 out of 5 stars A Steal at This Price Range
The CNET editors hit it right on the money by wholeheartedly recommending these speakers in their reviews. I picked up a pair of these speakers locally since I did find them a tad cheaper but, due to the lack of online reviews, felt like I could put in my two cents.

Published on December 17, 2011 by neo_styles

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the treble?
I purchased these speakers because of all the great reviews (and good price) - but the first thing that I noticed when I started using them is that there was a noticeable lack of treble. I cranked up the highs on my equalizer, but still very little treble. I eventually replaced the tweeters with a pair from my 25 year old Advent speakers. This change finally made the...
Published 20 months ago by BrianH

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steal at This Price Range, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR 80-Watts RMS 2-Way Speakers (Pair) (Electronics)

For starters, these speakers do appear large if you're used to the more lifestyle-oriented systems or HTIB-type satellites, but if you're used to having a proper bookshelf-type speaker, the size will not be intimidating. My wife and I are using this in a 2.0-channel setup in our 15x10' bedroom and they do not overwhelm the space. Build quality is superb and, if you hadn't told me that there were faux wood, I wouldn't be able to know the difference. They do succeed quite well at the "knock test." Binding post construction is solid and, upon initial inspection, I have a feeling that as long as I care for these speakers, they can last well into 20-30 years.

Even at low volumes, sound quality is very good and not obtrusive. We wanted something that could produce extremely good quality sound without drowning out the rest of the members in our house and these do just the trick. Keep in mind that these speakers are not as sensitive as most, so they will require a little extra volume before they show their true potential. Once you do, however, they really do shine. Midbass is very accurate and the bass is never overwhelming. All I've heard so far is a very clean, warm sound. The BS21s are never in-your-face or bright; rather, they are inviting and encourage you to sit down and simply listen.

What surprises me most about them is how well they are at handling music and home theater simultaneously. I don't find myself having to tamper with the DSP features in my VSX-1021-K when switching between formats at all. Matter of fact, I've since disabled all DSP on my receiver and now just listen to everything as it was originally intended without fear that I'm missing out on any details.

In short, my wife and I are very satisfied with the BS-21s and would highly recommend them to anyone. Period. Matter of fact, if you're still on Amazon looking for a HTIB, spare yourself the hassle and order two pairs of these and the matching center as well as the SW-8 sub. Even if you spend an extra couple hundred, the payback in sound quality will more than make up the difference in cost.

P.S. If you're curious as to how they sound, I know Best Buy carries these on the main floor and any rep who is halfway concerned about making sales should be able to let you take these into the Magnolia room and give them a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick little speakers!, June 17, 2012
Keep an eye out and you can find these for as low as $50 during online sales.

These are very nice little speakers. I didn't think so at first - then a week into using them they just started coming to life. I'm glad I gave them a chance. Sensitivity is a little low, so you'll have to give them a little more power to get them to pop. I'm driving them using a Samsung HW-D7000 Reciever, and I have to turn it up above 50% to get them to really sing.

The depth of sound I hear on these speakers is awesome. I listen to a variety of music, including a lot of movie soundtracks. Almost every track I listen to has a part in it, that when played through these speakers catches my attention and blows me away every time. The high end is rolled back so as not to be ear-piercing, but clean and present enough that you notice it. Acoustic guitar and stringed instruments sound phenomenal. Give these guys a sub to fill-in the bottom end and you won't be disappointed. Clarity is unparalled at this price range.

If you find these speakers on a deal - BUY THEM. Build quality is great - sound quality is great. I plan on picking up the Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt Center and Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Loudspeakers to complete the set for my home theater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Speakers for the Value and in General, June 12, 2012
The Pioneer SP-BS21 speakers are a wonderful deal in budget-price home theater speakers. I use the larger brother SP-BS41 speakers as the mains with the SP-C21 center, and four SP-BS21's to complete the 7.1 set up. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-k. While the entire line, including the SP-BS21's, can struggle at higher volumes, the speakers all present a very warm, accurate, and easy-to-listen-to sound with a great sound stage. I would not call the SP-BS21 lacking in bass, but the cabinet and driver sizes do limit their sound as one might expect. At the top end, the tweeter is excellent, although it does fall short of the producing the top of the spectrum. Despite any flaws, however, I regularly shop home theater speakers and have been unable to locate a better value in home theater speakers. Of course there are better products, but in this price range I believe the entire Pioneer line to be the best, especially when viewed in comparison to the Polk Monitor line, which appears to be the closest competitor. To show I am not biased against Polk, my sub is a Polk PSW505 that I have loved for years, and I use other Polk speakers throughout my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy good!!! Worth the extra $ over ENERGY TAKE!!!, January 9, 2013
I have been looking for speakers for my 5.1 surround sound. I've been doing research for over 2 months now (I know, a little obsessive) and have came to the conclusion that these were the speakers I wanted.

The sub I use is a velodyne vx-11, a killer 10inch sub.
My reciever is a yamaha rx-v473

Sounds easy enough, but I was wrong. Since people act like Hawaii is on mars, no one wants to ship these speakers to me. So after trying and trying I gave up on these speakers and had to move on to my next choice ENERGY TAKE 5.0.

I'm sure all of you have already read all the reviews on the energy take and it's all true, they are really good speakers. When I hooked them up to my reciever and played some music and watched a few movies they sounded super good and I thought they were pretty darn good, but for some reason I kept checking amazon for deals on the sp-pk21bs speakers

FINALLY!!!!! I came across 2 pairs(4) of these speakers with FREE shipping!!! I had to get them to see what the hype is all about and to see if they are as good as advertised and to see how much better they are then the energy takes.

HOLY SNAP!!!!!! Hooked up only one pair of these in a 2.1 set up to listen to some music, I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! A lot better then the energy take!! The sound was super clean, clear, and crisp. Even if u turn the volume up loud, the sound seems to just get better.

I gave away my energy take classic because these are just so much better. Keep in mind they are HUGE speakers but they produce HUGE sound as well.

Bottom line, if you want clean, clear, crisp sound and you love listening to music or watching movies with the volume up( like me) then look no further. Well worth the price.

The hype is real!!

Excellent valua on top of that!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This speaker is AWESOME!!!, November 10, 2013
Joe (Philadelphia,Pa.) - See all my reviews
I have owned many speakers over the years but this is the best. I paired this with the Lepai 2020+ and a Sansa Clip Plus and the sound is tremendous. The Lapai amp WILL drive this speaker without distortion as long as you listen at a NORMAL listening level in a 10 by 18 ft room. There is great bass (especially if you tweak your equalizer) and the highs come out of the tweeter crisp. I would recommend this speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, Great Price, June 13, 2012
I think the title of my review says a lot. These are very good sounding speakers, much better sounding then their price tag. I have had a lot of budget priced speakers over the years and can say that these by far sound the best. The sound coming from them mimics a much higher priced speaker system both budget priced and high end. I have never had a $1,000 plus pair of speakers before so could not compare directly to how they would sound compared to this. Based on the reviews I have read from professionals who have there is not as many compromises in sound as you would expect.

The big difference with these is that the sensitivity is only 84db. Higher end systems, and a lot of budget priced ones have higher sensitivity. I have some Klipsch Quintets that are around 90db so they play louder at equal volume, but the sound is not as good. I have found I do not play these louder on my receivers volume level then I do other speakers I have owned. Volume is only good though if the speaker sounds clear and clean when you get there. The Klipsch's could be a little harsh with high notes and make you want to turn them down a bit. These speakers make you want to turn them up without the sound becoming distorted or harsh.

I have paired these with the center channel speaker from pioneer, SP-C21. The center speaker has 87db of sensitivity which you would think might require lowering the volume level. I have found the extra sensitivity for the center is a big plus for movies since a lot of sound comes from there. I have kept my center volume level at 0db on my receiver and it sounds great in tandem with these speakers. Once you have four of them, a subwoofer, and the center you will get a great sounding home theater system. I already have a Klipsch sub I use and it matches well so if you have a decent sub then there is no reason to buy the Pioneer one. I actually have my crossover set around 90 to 100hz but 100hz usually sounds better to me. This might seem high for the listed frequency range of the speakers but 100hz is actually recommended in the manual and seems to sound best. I think they would sound good down to 80hz but keeping it higher puts less of a load on the speakers and receiver. Since these speakers are less sensitive it helps to keep it higher so you can get that extra volume you might need without taxing the equipment.

As stated above these are outstanding speakers for the prices you can get them at. If you are looking to upgrade save your cash on higher priced systems and get these instead. I know I am going to be satisfied with them for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot be beaten for the price., October 7, 2013
I bought these speakers to run as PLIIz Height Speakers, mainly. I did some listening with them and compared to my Energy speakers and was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. I mainly watch movies and play games on my setup; I need clear audio for dialogue and these speakers did just fine. If I didn't have my Energy speakers, I'd have no problem switching to these Pioneers for mains. My only issue for these speakers would be that they seemed a little bass heavy at times. But when you compare the price, there is no comparison. You can't even build something to sound better than these puppies at the price you can buy them for.

Build quality is nice, the bindings did appear a little cheap, and there is no mounting hole in the rear. I thought these speakers were rather ugly from the pictures shown, but they actually look better in person. In the end I didn't mind the hard grill look, I think the pictures just make it look more bulkier than it really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, September 23, 2011
These speakers sound excellent. I've read some reviews complaining about the way they look. I like the way they look. Some have said they are too big, but they are fine in a bigger room and that probably contributes to the good sound. I would recommend them for a bigger room. I have them setup on a surround sound system and I am very happy with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, December 17, 2013
Compact speakers have great sound. Bass and treble response is excellent and they have a warm, not tinny tone. They look great on the bookshelf. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, clear sound, January 17, 2013
I have tested the at full power without distortion, thaey seem to be well designed.
I am using them as the front speakers of a 7.1 home theather setting, the sound is very good and everybody at home is happy.
Highly recommended

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR 80-Watts RMS 2-Way Speakers (Pair)
Used & New from: $88.88