5.0 out of 5 stars Best for the Bucks
Published on May 17, 2012 by Raymond R. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money
I think the speaker is a bargain. 70% of 5 channel sound comes from the center channel. It's better than the one I had ( a cheap little Sony toy speaker) , but I have heard much better. Had I the money, and watched much more tv, I would have spent much more money.
Published 24 months ago by Waldo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for the Bucks, May 17, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2-Way Speaker (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I got this speaker on sale for $59 at Best Buy and wanted to write a review on it even though it was not purchased from Amazon. I like, most of you, do a lot of research on items before I purchase them. I recently went from using a YSP-800 Digital Sound Projector back to a 5.1 speaker system. I have several speakers in the house including three different center speakers. After hooking up all of my old speakers again I discovered that the sound was not quite as good as I wanted. I started researching speaker systems for home theater to upgrade to. I was pretty much resigned to thinking that I would have to spend over $400 to get a decent but not perfect sounding system. Then I came across multiple reviews on these Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones. One great review is good but there were multiple ones that I could find from professionals as well as buyers at Amazon and other online retailers. I decided that I wanted to buy a 5 speaker set of these and since I already have a Subwoofer I am going to buy them individually. I have never been happy with my center channel speakers so I decided this was a good first purchase and it was only $59.

I can easily say that even only having this speaker for a short time that the sound quality is better then any center channel I have owned. Dialogue sounds natural, clear, and full with all types of voices. In the centers I have owned or heard some voices sound better then others but there is always a boxey unnatural sound to them. Of course the biggest problem with centers is that I miss bits of dialogue frequently. Sometimes this is the fault of the audio mix on the source material but often is related to poor center channel performance. I think part of the problem is that a lot of center speakers do not do good with mid-range frequencies. This speaker uses technology with more crossover circuits in it which allows for better separation between frequency ranges so you get a lot more clarity. It is a big reason why these get great reviews and sound so good for the money.

Center speakers do a lot more then just drive dialogue. When music and sound effects are in the center they sound very good and make me wish for the tower speakers for my next purchase. The size of this speaker plays a big part in getting the natural dynamic range that puts them ahead of budget priced center speakers. Speaking of the size, this speaker is nearly 8 inches high and about 19 inches wide. It is the largest center speaker I have ever seen and you should make sure you measure the space you are going to put it in. I was fortunate because it just fits in my entertainment center cabinet under my TV, which I measured before I bought it.

Now that I have had a chance to hear one of these for myself I am excited about getting the matching SP-FS51-LR towers for my fronts and then the SP-BS21-LR for the rears. Hard to beat them at these price points and quality. I could spend a lot more money and not get nearly as good of a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, September 23, 2011
These speakers sound excellent. I've read some reviews complaining about the way they look. I like the way they look. Some have said they are too big, but they are fine in a bigger room and that probably contributes to the good sound. I would recommend them for a bigger room. I have them setup on a surround sound system and I am very happy with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value center channel, February 10, 2012
just got out of the box took only 2 days to arrive(thanks!) quality construction heavy mdf dual ported center has the feel of a much more expensive speaker. I immediately fired up "gladiator" and its sounds full with plenty of mids and lower base. Well done Pioneer Team in particular to the much heralded A. Jones- i'm impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on an excellent speaker, March 11, 2012
Recently got the SP-C21 center channel speaker along with the Pioneer SP-FS51 (main left & right), SP-BS21 (surrounds) and a non Pioneer Subwoofer. What an excellent home theater set up. I used them at my home to watch a movie and was able to hear the dialog completely and better than before, and I wasn't using a dinky HTIP center before.

This a a large center channel, but that is one of the reasons it sounds do good. Bigger center, and speakers, will in generally perform better than smaller ones. The C21 is about 1.5 inches or so wider than my other center speaker, and that one not exactly small (15.75 inches). But it does a better job... so I will make room.

I originally got this (and the companion set)as a good and fairly budget minded setup to place somewhere else. Now I'm planning to set these up in my main home theater. As the FS51s are no longer on sale and I think the Center is a better speaker than the BS21 surrounds, while costing about the same, I ended up ordering five of the center channels to set up in a 5.1 system for my original application. I think it will perform about as good as having the FS51 up front and will sound really good for the price. One of the best thing about this pioneer line of speakers is that they sound good with both music and home theater (movies) use, that not common with systems in this price range.

If you get this Center speaker I would highly recommended getting wither the matching BS51s, BS41s, BS21s or another pair of C21s, as it important that the three front speakers match tonally.

In conclusion: Two thumbs up

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice speaker / Better Alternatives, February 4, 2012
DanMan (Kenosha, WI) - See all my reviews
I bought this speaker from Best Buy because I had gotten a few gift cards for Best Buy as a Christmas gift. If you have a crappy HTIB center channel and are in the market for an upgrade, this speaker will not disappoint.

I upgraded from a Denon speaker that was absolutly horrible. Voices in movies and TV were much, much clearer on this speaker versus my previous one.

It has two 5.25" woofers that say they are capable of going down to 55Hz but I would still recommend setting crossover to 80Hz. It didn't seem to reproduce anything lower than that very effectively. The bass distorted a little bit below 80HZ at loud volumes playing music.

This speaker is pretty big and heavy so make sure your mount (if you are using a mount rather than a table or something) can handle a big 20 pound speaker. Picture two bookself speakers laid on their side with their tops touching. That's about how big this speaker is.

There is one speaker in particular that I would recommend over this one. It's the Cerwin-Vega VE-5C. It's only 15 or 20 bucks more and like all the other Cerwin-Vega equipment; Some of the best out there if you don't have deep enough pockets several hundred on a center speaker.

Don't get me wrong though. This speaker is still impressive considering it's only 70 bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Center/Fronts, September 22, 2012
This speaker is great in it's roll as a center channel.Voices are clear & crisp. Place this speaker(if possible) 2feet from the wall and the bass will be amazing. What makes this speaker so good is that you can stand it on end to use it as a front speaker as well( you need 2 for proper front duties.) This is the most bang for your buck speaker you can get. Give them a listen & enjoy. And yes I own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pump It Up, February 17, 2013
The speakers work great as our center speaker. We have them in the front of the room and it really complements the sub and 2 large surround sound speakers we have in the back of the living room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound quality, but MASSIVE!!!, February 1, 2013
Got this speaker to go with the rest of my pioneer speakers and this bad boy is MASSIVE!!! I read the speks on the size and didn't think it was that big of a deal but then when I got it, WOW.

The sound that comes out is very very clean and clear, not muffled.
I've owned the ENERGY TAKE and I can tell you from experiance it sounds a lot better.

The look of the speaker is outstanding, It matches perfect with my tv stand and so do the rest of the pioneer set. I wish there were some way I could post a picture so I can brag a little bit lol.

The ony problem is (if this is even concidered a problem) that its a very big speaker. It wasn't so much of a problem for me cause it was just an excuse to mount my tv on my wall, LOL. WIFE APPROVED.

I bought it used for a pretty good deal and came in original packaging with out even a scratch on it. Looked brand new but shipping took 27 days but well worth the wait. That's what u get when u live in Hawaii I guess.

Over all, would recommend %100 if you got the space, goes perfect with the rest of the pioneer sp-pk21bs 5.0

P.S. the wall mount was also from amazon and was $25, well with over $100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2 Way-Speaker, November 17, 2012
William Rauscher (Westminster, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with the purchase of the (center)Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2 Way-Speaker. It was a necessary addition to complete the 5.1 Pioneer home entertainment set up, price was excellent, so I was delighted to now have a complete system to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ recomended, August 17, 2012
Great sound, great design, i have tried it for 1 month so far, so good. I would recomend this product to anyone that wants great sound with low price. Better sound than Bose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›