Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2-Way Speaker (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 17, 2012
I got this speaker on sale for $59 at Best Buy and wanted to write a review on it even though it was not purchased from Amazon. I like, most of you, do a lot of research on items before I purchase them. I recently went from using a YSP-800 Digital Sound Projector back to a 5.1 speaker system. I have several speakers in the house including three different center speakers. After hooking up all of my old speakers again I discovered that the sound was not quite as good as I wanted. I started researching speaker systems for home theater to upgrade to. I was pretty much resigned to thinking that I would have to spend over $400 to get a decent but not perfect sounding system. Then I came across multiple reviews on these Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones. One great review is good but there were multiple ones that I could find from professionals as well as buyers at Amazon and other online retailers. I decided that I wanted to buy a 5 speaker set of these and since I already have a Subwoofer I am going to buy them individually. I have never been happy with my center channel speakers so I decided this was a good first purchase and it was only $59.

I can easily say that even only having this speaker for a short time that the sound quality is better then any center channel I have owned. Dialogue sounds natural, clear, and full with all types of voices. In the centers I have owned or heard some voices sound better then others but there is always a boxey unnatural sound to them. Of course the biggest problem with centers is that I miss bits of dialogue frequently. Sometimes this is the fault of the audio mix on the source material but often is related to poor center channel performance. I think part of the problem is that a lot of center speakers do not do good with mid-range frequencies. This speaker uses technology with more crossover circuits in it which allows for better separation between frequency ranges so you get a lot more clarity. It is a big reason why these get great reviews and sound so good for the money.

Center speakers do a lot more then just drive dialogue. When music and sound effects are in the center they sound very good and make me wish for the tower speakers for my next purchase. The size of this speaker plays a big part in getting the natural dynamic range that puts them ahead of budget priced center speakers. Speaking of the size, this speaker is nearly 8 inches high and about 19 inches wide. It is the largest center speaker I have ever seen and you should make sure you measure the space you are going to put it in. I was fortunate because it just fits in my entertainment center cabinet under my TV, which I measured before I bought it.

Now that I have had a chance to hear one of these for myself I am excited about getting the matching SP-FS51-LR towers for my fronts and then the SP-BS21-LR for the rears. Hard to beat them at these price points and quality. I could spend a lot more money and not get nearly as good of a result.
on September 23, 2011
These speakers sound excellent. I've read some reviews complaining about the way they look. I like the way they look. Some have said they are too big, but they are fine in a bigger room and that probably contributes to the good sound. I would recommend them for a bigger room. I have them setup on a surround sound system and I am very happy with them.
66 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2012
just got out of the box took only 2 days to arrive(thanks!) quality construction heavy mdf dual ported center has the feel of a much more expensive speaker. I immediately fired up "gladiator" and its sounds full with plenty of mids and lower base. Well done Pioneer Team in particular to the much heralded A. Jones- i'm impressed.
on February 21, 2015
I recently upgraded our home entertainment system from a Pioneer VSX 815 to a Pioneer VSX 80 Elite. When I bought the first system I also bought six Sony 130 watt speakers all the way around except the center speaker. I had an old Optimus center speaker from Radio shack. I never have been happy with the center speaker so I decided to get a new one and decided on this speaker. The old one sounded just like TV speakers but this speaker sounds like a system speaker like the rest on my speakers. I like it so much that I have purchased the matching floor standing speakers and am currently waiting their arrival. Being a guitar player for over 28 years playing in bands here and there, I have learned how to really listen to sound. This speaker really brings them to life and I can't wait to get the floor speakers. Highly recommend this speaker and it looks fantastic. Don't throw away your stands taped to the Styrofoam.
on October 15, 2012
I bought this center channel speaker and I am very happy with the sound. I can now clearly hear speech in my movies. The connectors are high quality and the wood feels very solid and the grain finish is very good too. It looks like real solid wood because the surface has 3d texture in its grain. This is a true black with subtle wood grain (not dark brown or dark blue). Make sure you have space if this under or over your TV otherwise you will be needing a new TV stand like me.

I am an PhD. level engineer and buy a lot of professional level audio and video equipment and I am very happy with this purchase.
on March 6, 2015
This is a monster center speaker and has some power to it. Make sure you have the space for it. I ended up placing it behind my flatscreen facing towards the ceiling. Sounds pretty amazing like that. Probably would sound better facing out toward viewing area, but it works for me. All that matters....right?
on January 7, 2015
One thing about this speaker that you need to know.... Awesomeness !!!

The sound quality, construction of these speakers are fantastic. love the shape and style of em'.
Also have the Pioneer SP-FS51 Towers for front left and right SP-BS21 in the rears.... these speakers sound incredible
Nice work Pioneer.. glad I was able to find another one to fill my rear center spot...
on February 1, 2013
Got this speaker to go with the rest of my pioneer speakers and this bad boy is MASSIVE!!! I read the speks on the size and didn't think it was that big of a deal but then when I got it, WOW.

The sound that comes out is very very clean and clear, not muffled.
I've owned the ENERGY TAKE and I can tell you from experiance it sounds a lot better.

The look of the speaker is outstanding, It matches perfect with my tv stand and so do the rest of the pioneer set. I wish there were some way I could post a picture so I can brag a little bit lol.

The ony problem is (if this is even concidered a problem) that its a very big speaker. It wasn't so much of a problem for me cause it was just an excuse to mount my tv on my wall, LOL. WIFE APPROVED.

I bought it used for a pretty good deal and came in original packaging with out even a scratch on it. Looked brand new but shipping took 27 days but well worth the wait. That's what u get when u live in Hawaii I guess.

Over all, would recommend %100 if you got the space, goes perfect with the rest of the pioneer sp-pk21bs 5.0

P.S. the wall mount was also from amazon and was $25, well with over $100.
on November 17, 2012
I am very pleased with the purchase of the (center)Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2 Way-Speaker. It was a necessary addition to complete the 5.1 Pioneer home entertainment set up, price was excellent, so I was delighted to now have a complete system to enjoy.
on September 22, 2012
This speaker is great in it's roll as a center channel.Voices are clear & crisp. Place this speaker(if possible) 2feet from the wall and the bass will be amazing. What makes this speaker so good is that you can stand it on end to use it as a front speaker as well( you need 2 for proper front duties.) This is the most bang for your buck speaker you can get. Give them a listen & enjoy. And yes I own it.

See 1 answered question