5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding receiver
Published 19 months ago by Buck Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer customer service very disappointing
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding receiver, June 3, 2013
This review is from: Pioneer VSX-823 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver (Electronics)
I owned the Pioneer VSX-917K years ago which I loved but then moved on to try Sony's STRDN-1030, Denon's AVR-1713, and Yamaha's RX-V473, all of which I did not like. I came back to Pioneer with this VSX-823K model and I absolutely love it. I love the design, the lack of superfluous and outdated outlets in the rear, it's two knob front styling, and it's ease of sound shaping with the MCACC device. It is undoubtedly an outstanding receiver which provides super home theater sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice A/V Reciever, August 6, 2013
I ordered this reciever and the Yamaha listed elsewhere. I really like this unit for its layout and dedicated HDMI channels which is a small thing but details count. Rather than HDMI 1, 2, 3, etc. it actually labels each for easy connections. Surround sound setup is a piece of cake as well using the supplied microphone pickup. The two control knobs give it a balanced look and it is a great improvement over my 12 year old Yahama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 27, 2013
Movies sound amazing, fill the room with sound. (Room Size 18' x 24') I have Energy 5.1 Home Theater Speakers and I love this system,Its not a high end system but if you like your movies loud and clear its more than enough for me setting.
Remote control is very basic but meets my needs. I can control the Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blue Ray Player, RNG200N Cable DVR, and Panasonic TC-P50V10 using the remote without any problem. However the wife hates it!
Network: I havent used yet.
Apple IPOD and IPAD connected flawlessly via USB,
Setup is very simple (Highly recommend downloading the Operators Manual)
I love the system and everyone who has listened to it cant believe the sound,

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the Airplay feature mostly... and mostly it works very well 4.5 stars really, January 2, 2014
Had been tracking quite a few low end receivers to replace my 5 year old Harmon Kardon POS (bought it at Fry's, I got ripped off, hated that thing) and this popped up as a Lightening Deal for 179 and figured well worth it for the Apple Airplay link if for nothing else.

Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) came up on lightening deal a few days later so jumped on that also.

Initial setup was simple and easy. Sound is clear and clean for me, seems like FM is a little less treble but not an issue. Does not have many surround options/features but that's a plus for me as I'd not spend the time anyway. Has a microphone to do the setup but I've not bothered with that yet. The 5.1 sounds fine enough for a movie on auto surround but I mostly bought this as a receiver so have not spent a lot of time working with that yet.

I use the Pioneer IPhone app to run the receiver such that I was throwing out the box yesterday and noticed I had not even put batteries in the remote yet. Once I figured out AirPlay (if you've not done it it's simple from the phone but took me a while to find it on the I-pad) it blew everyone away with how easy it was to pipe sound out of the system. My 12 year old just loves pushing her music over ours with her phone.

I've not had success yet with the internet radio, Pandora or the server operations. I can push from Media Player on the PC over the lan to the system but have yet to get those to work from the receiver as a 'pull'. I'll keep working on that but I see the receiver from my PC's just fine and can get to the receiver setup page but have yet to get those network features to work correctly.

Airplay works most of the time quite well but I've noticed that it can get choppy or even cutoff if we have a lot of wireless traffic from the other devices or my kid is streaming a movie. Might be bandwidth, might be device range but for the most part works great such that I use Airplay to stream Sirius or ITunes and hardly bother with anything else.

I used banana plugs (I had on last system) on the terminals and had no issues with wiring it up.

Ease of use for family is a huge plus, I'd give this five stars if the manual was a little more helpful (comes on a dvd) and helped me troubleshoot my network issues. Very happy with purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer customer service very disappointing, January 24, 2014
My receiver quit working after 4 months, and when i called customer service, they told me to bring it to a repair shop an hour away. Maybe I'm old fashioned! But I expect a quality brand to send a replacement and a return label. If your product is quality, then warranty replacements should be rare enough that you can suck up the cost on the occasional replacement. I expect products to last longer than 4 months, and i shouldn't suck up the cost and inconvenience because they made a defective product. Im also not really confident its going to be reliable after the repair. Im pretty disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this receiver less than 2 months ago. ..., August 20, 2014
I bought this receiver less than 2 months ago. The HDMI out function has already failed. The HDMI light just blinks. Ive tried new cables, different Monitors / televisions, and I get nothing. After Googling the error, I got many hits on this problem, some getting it years down the road, others within days.

ARC never worked, maybe this is part of the problem.

Now I have to go to warranty repair. After two months. My last receiver went 11 years and is still going. The only reason I decided to "Upgrade" was the lack of HDMI ports. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Receiver, November 2, 2013
I shopped for and tried at home, 2 Yamahas,a Sony, and a bunch of other brands like Bose... and this little jewel; sound quality, ease of use. strength of signal and specially bass, was not even close for the all others vs. this one. price was amazing too. I am "old school" sound quality type, and I did not think I can replace my $3000 amp that I have had since 1988 !!! because the new electronics just don't sound like they have a "soul" , but this receiver SURRRRE DOES..I would have still been happy if I had paid triple what I did for it... I Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Super Surprise On This Site, April 21, 2014
I choose this rating, because I received the Pioneer A/V Receiver on time and in excellent condition. I was also surprised when I opened the receiver's original box to find a brand new one and not a used one which was originally described on Amazon. I am extremely happy with my purchase. It works perfectly, and would recommend this site to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver for the price, February 20, 2014
This was a VSX-8231-K refurb from Amazon Warehouse purchased in Feb-2014. At $175 it has all the options and network connectivity I need, aside from being able to edit the input labels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little box, April 27, 2013
DCrane (Oakton, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
Sound is great, power is decent, and best of all, controllable via ethernet/telnet for automation. I've gone with Pioneers fairly consistently for the past 15 years, with forays into other manufacturers, but those always seem to end up with a relative who is more forgiving of odd quirks than I am. Solid little box, quite pleased.

Pioneer VSX-823 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver