5.0 out of 5 stars Great dock and Airplay/Bluetooth speaker
Published 22 months ago by Sam

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems again
I have to downgrade this product back to terrible.
After Pioneer changed out the main computer board the unit work fine for a few months. Now it is acting up again. Trying to play any music from my NAS drive is pointless. The unit will play the first song of the album and then freeze up. Even having a USB drive on my router causes the same issues.
Shoddy...
Published on January 21, 2012 by Charlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems again, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer X-SMC4-K AirPlay Bluetooth Music System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have to downgrade this product back to terrible.
Shoddy electronics is all I can say. It plays internet radio well still and does wifi well but for the other network features this thing is garbage/
I subsequently bought a Tivoli network radio and this is 10x better than this Pioneer piece of junk.

This deserves zero stars.

Pioneer stopped making these units which is a benefit to music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dock and Airplay/Bluetooth speaker, December 11, 2012
Sam "samgho" (Madison, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I already have a Samsung DA-E750, and wanted something similar for our summer house, but did not want to spend another $600. When I saw the Pioneer on Amazon at the amazingly low price, I immediately went ahead and ordered it. There were only a couple of reviews on Amazon, and a few other reviews here and there, mostly negative. However for the throw-away price I really did not see any down side, if nothing else I would just use it as an iPod dock.

When the Pioneer unit showed up, the first thing that I was impressed by was the overall sleek look which blended great with the rest of our AV system (including a Pioneer Elite Kuro flatscreen). I had no problem with either hooking it up to the WiFi network or connecting to my iPhone through Bluetooth. I have also had no problems playing music through AirPlay and in fact it has been better than my Samsung with less dropouts. The sound has been perfectly O'K and in keeping with my expectations for a dock (although I agree the Samsung sound is better, I am not sure it makes that much difference listening to compressed mp3's). But one feature that I love about the Pioneer is the display, and the fact that it shows cover art and track name/info over AirPlay (and also BT). I stream the music from an upstairs office and hence being able to see the track info downstairs is great. I have tested out all the features and as of yet have not run into any of the issues raised by other reviewers. All in all, I could not be happier with this purchase. However I have had it for three weeks so I am not commenting on reliability but given that Elite music players have a 5 year warranty when bought from authorized dealers, I can't believe that they are constructed poorly. I would suggest that if you are reasonably tech-savvy, go for this player, it is an absolute steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you choose the right controller, January 22, 2013
Konstantin Erman (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I was trying to solve a task of streaming music from my Windows Home Server to my new Pioneer Music Tap Elite (which serves as DLNA Renderer) and control it all from one of iOS devices I currently have plenty around the house.

Serving DLNA from Windows is not a problem these days. Although Windows 7 built in DLNA support is definitely quirky and not convenient (I disabled it after all) there are plenty of third party DLNA Servers many of which are free. My two favorites are Serviio and Plex Media Server.

The task of controlling the playback from iPod appeared to be much more tricky. There are many applications in the Apple AppStore which claim that they can perform as DLNA Controllers, but unfortunately MOST of them barely work and some are way better than the others. I’ve spent significant amount of time (and not so much money) trying lots of those applications and want to share my results to save people some efforts.

The winner is AudioRemote by Sony (free!). It is the only one DLNA controller which was working reliably and conveniently. The only minor problem with it – there is significant delay (a few seconds may be) between sending the command and executing it by the device. This is especially inconvenient for volume control – very hard to control volume when you cannot immediately hear how it reacts.

Another solution which appeared to be convenient is Plex Media Server on PC and Plex media app on iOS device. It is not really DLNA controller, but it supports AirPlay, so net result is basically the same.

Now the list of apps which did not work for me:

8player (paid) – cannot pause (or stop) playback.
MediaPilot – generally works, but not so convenient.
Controller – almost Ok, but again – cannot STOP music!
Media Link Player ($5 and iPhone only) – not convenient.
media:connect – plain unusable for me.
FusionStream – does not see Pioneer as a Renderer.
RemoteMedia – crashes Pioneer!
ControlApp (from Pioneer itself) – not compatible with this Pioneer model.
Remote (from Apple) – did not work for me. It could not play properly shared iTunes library through AirPlay.
RN Remote – works only with ReadyNAS;
Woon – cannot use renderers other than itself.
Proxy – does not seem to be relevant.
PlugPlayer – did not work.

There were more, but I don’t remember the outcome, other than it was negative.
Hope this save people some energy.

Konstantin

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer X-SMC4-K, December 13, 2012
I received the product very fast. It is great looking and does everything and more. The setup took only 5 min. I am amazed that some users complain it is complicated. It works well with AirPlay and Apple iTunes (Pandora, etc). It does connect to Apple or non Apple products via Bluetooth. Sound quality is excellent with the extra features turned on. The unit will connect to a DLNA server, and will play music well. It also shows up as a renderer for remote play. You can use dock to charge iPod or iPhone and play music. The Internet radio is great feature too. There are many stations to select from. It also work as an alarm clock. If that is not enough, you can play music from the USB port. For the price, you just can't find anything like this. 5 star product. Note: you need to have a decent Internet speed and WiFi or Ethernet to connect it

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead In Under a Year, December 4, 2013
I bought this item in March of 2013. It is now December of 2013 and the product will no longer even turn on. When I first bought, everything seemed to work well. Slowly through it's short life, it performed worse and worse. I used it mainly to listen to internet radio without problem for the first three months. Then it would begin to drop the station and I would have to either switch function or turn off/on for it to reconnect. Eventually it got so bad that I would have to do this once or twice an hour.

What a terrible product. I also have a Pioneer receiver and it works like a champ for 5+ years.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't know how anyone can like this product, January 3, 2014
Thank god for returns and Amazon Prime. This product, while nicely presented as you open it, fails in the following areas:

1. It takes over 60 seconds to turn on, and another 30 seconds to get a wifi-signal.
2. It crashes. I experienced white screen of death and reboots
3. The digital clock is so not designed to go with this radio. It looks like something that was left over from the 1980's LED clock era.
4. The LCD display is way too small.
5. The software for browsing stations or music is horrible to use. You could spend hours moving up and down long lists only to accidentally press the wrong button and have to start all over.
6. When I looked at the photo, I thought it had a CD on the top, but its just a weird panel that looks like a CD slot.

I think these are enough to make you look elsewhere. I just ordered the Sony CMT-BT60 with hopes that it is better. It is more money, but I am willing to pay it at this point.

4.0 out of 5 stars One bargain yields a very specific value to one customer, November 6, 2013
russell (lancaster, pa United States) - See all my reviews
Here's the deal. I managed, somehow, to get this radio for $13.54. Yes, that's right. It had been on my wish list for more than a year after having one of these radios in a hotel room I stayed in. I loved the radio in the hotel but I wasn't enthusiastic about the price. I also read through a lot of the other reviews about this radio having some hinky software and whatnot. I use for several things. I use the internet radio function which works wonderfully, about 90% of the time. Sometimes, infrequently, the station will appear but it's "stuck" on one song and there is no audio. I have not found a workaround for this. I simply choose another station and get on with my life. The media player doesn't work with Mac OS X so, no go there. I use a USB stick with some stuff on it and I love being able to Airplay stuff to it from my phone and my pad. The other functions, I just do no use. The fidelity is good. The remote works. But for me, the real "value" here was the ridiculous price I was able to pay. If I had paid $100 or more I would be very unsatisfied with this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, sounds good, easy to setup, April 16, 2013
Pretty much exactly what I had hoped for. Bought this as a refurb at a very good price and it arrived sealed, as promised, and in brand new condition.

Unit looks great, the display is neat and the clock (with option to not have the clock) is actually handy.

AirPlay setup was easy - you use the remote and the small display screen to enter your WiFi network and password. Once it on your network, your iPhone's airplay logo appears. You select it instead of the default option (your phone), and a few seconds later, you're playing music from your phone. It's that easy. My router (an older Netgear) doesn't have a WPS button, but I hear that's even easier for setup.

The unit has two power modes - one "normal" where it's full off when it's off (maybe a few watts for standby - I'm not sure), and another "quick startup" where your phone can awaken the unit. The manual states that this mode uses almost as much power as just leaving it on. I wanted to keep my unit out of the way (mounted on a high shelf in the room), so I'm opting for the quick startup, but if you don't mind hitting the power button to use it, then you can save some energy. It does take about 20-30 seconds to fully startup from "normal" mode, and about 3 for "quick startup". At least you get a choice as to what works best for you.

Sound quality is good. Not stellar, but not bad. Anyone just looking for a stereo for the home that they're not going to rock out to or try to DJ a party with should be pleased. It loses some fidelity as volume gets extra high. At lower volumes, it sounds good.

I've had a few drops while listening to music from my iPhone, but not alot and not too frequently, maybe 3 in the last 5 hours of use. It could also be my older router, or the fact that my battery was low on my iPhone 5. FYI - AirPlay doesn't seem to really take too much battery power.

All in all, I'm pleased with the product, especially at the refurb price (<$100 with shipping). Might even get a second one for another room - from what I understand you can operate more than one at once, and they sync perfectly from AirPlay. Hopefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product,, December 25, 2012
Excellent product, does what it says. Got only one drawback, it takes over a minute to boot up from the time power is turned on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated but very cool, December 4, 2012
I consider myself to be fairly techno savvy. I just wanted to use this like someone might use an old radio 25 years ago. The sound more than adequate. The features extensive almost exhaustive. I was using a Bowers & Wilkins mini. This Pioneer far less expensive and about 500% superior in all ways.

The B & W is now in my bathroom!

Highly recommended and so affordable you cannot lose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›