Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

This four (4)episode collection is the best way to get the following episodes on one,
single, close-captioned, Stereo, 220 minute DVD.

They are:
*==> LATE NIGHT --- Steve Allan; Jack Parr; Johnny Carson; Merv Griffin & Dick Cavett

*==> SITCOMS --- I LOVE LUCY; HONEYMOONERS; THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW; DICK VAN DYKE SHOW,
and many others.

*==> GAME SHOWS --- Radio through television.

*==> VARIETY SHOWS --- Ed Sullivan; Milton Berle; Sid Caesar; Carol Burnett; Smothers
Brothers and Laugh-in, among others.

AN excellent show, and highly recommended is the companion title, Season TWO
on October 31, 2008
As a child of the 60's, growing up watching television, I found this DVD to be very entertaining and informative. Lot's of trivia in this progam. I would recommend it to anyone under 50 for a better understanding of what good television was, and the people who made it.
on January 25, 2013
You'll love this because who doesn't love to sit back and think, "yeah - I remember that!"??? And of course, in true PBS style, it's fantastically interesting with outstanding footage, killer interviews, and lots of neat facts. While we watched it we were constantly on our phones looking up the stars (are they still alive? when did they die? etc.) - so our experience was practically interactive. Love it. :) Will be using this in my mass media class - who knew classroom materials could be such a guilty pleasure!
on December 15, 2013
This is not history for me, rather many of these programs were what I watched when I was a kid. There are four roughly one hour programs. There is a narrative line for each program. There are many excerpts. Given the age of the programs and how they were preserved the image quality is excellent. It was great to relive many of these and the DVD will prove interesting for those with an interest in televison history.
on October 23, 2013
Yes, I have been around long enough to see many of these show from the beginning, or at least early reruns. These compilation descriptions of the early years of tv is a great historical time line of the growth and creative genious explaining the series of today. It also gives you a trip down memory lane of your favorite actors when they were at their best or just starting out. Giving you floods of memories or introductions to actors or tv shows you have only heard about.
on March 15, 2011
Purchased this title for its reference to Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Enjoyed it immensely and the other material was just icing on the cake. Well worth it.
on January 21, 2013
This series is great. You get a look in to how this started and the ones his allows it. The history is great and so are the the interviews.
on June 9, 2016
I first saw this on PBS and bought it as a gift for my sister. Great comic clips of the Masters of Comedy in TV. The "Pioneers"
on July 6, 2013
This is a very interesting look at the early days of television. A good look back at some of your favorite shows.
on April 10, 2008
I wasted a lot of time when I was young watching re-runs of these shows. I felt, watching this DVD, like I was looking through an old family photo album.

This DVD explains a lot of stuff I could never have figured out on my own. "Family secrets", explained 30 years later.

These actors, shown in color and black & white clips, never seem to get any older. Their faces are so familiar. It's kind of freaky to realize that none of them have the slightest idea who I am.