Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Format: DVDChange
Price:$9.02 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
The Pirates of the Caribbean series has been enjoyable from the very beginning. With the incredible non-stop action and good acting. The third in the series is an epic of a movie running over two and a half hours long. If you have not watched the previous two in the series don't bother watching this movie until you have seen those.

The movie starts off with a rather grim intro. Just when you think a hero will get involved they don't. It seems as though the world is doing everything to get rid of pirates. As the journey begins we are then reintroduced to all the wonderful actors that have been involved in this series.

For the pirates to continue on they need their ultimate hero, Captain Jack Sparrow. Although this movie is filled with an all star cast that can't just rely on the heroic antics of Sparrow. I would have to say this movie is filled with action and a lot of violence although not a lot of gore. The movie probably would not be good for small children. So saying this movie is for families is probably a misnomer.

What sets this version apart from the DVD version is the beautiful picture quality and wonderful sound. I was totally impressed with the breath taking picture in this film. Watching it on a big screen t.v. makes it very worthwhile. The movie also comes with uncompressed sound which helps create a lifelike environment that you can only find in the theatres.

In the end I would have to say this movie is not for everyone. The action is non-stop and the violence is continuous. If you haven't watched the other two movies you probably shouldn't view this first since there are a lot of details in the story you wouldn't know otherwise. This is a great film that should be viewed by everyone who has enjoyed the series.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2007
The very end of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" was more like the end of a play's first act, after which the audience had to endure a nine month intermission. The second act--"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"--begins practically where the last film left off, in which Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) made an unexpected return after Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) was swallowed by the kraken. Not surprisingly, such a surprise ending got me all revved up for yet another round of swashbuckling fun, and I spent the year on pins and needles. If only this new film lived up to my expectations: while it is very entertaining, and while it is still worth recommending for sheer escapism, I'd be lying if I said that it matches the quality of the first two films.

Part of the problem is that everything about this film is simply too big. The number of new characters alone is quite distracting, especially since they all make important contributions to the story. The subplots are piled on top of each other, resulting in a film that's needlessly complicated and overly energized. I'd be hard pressed to give a decent synopsis, because in all honestly, I'm not sure I caught on to everything. From what I can gather, it seems that the instigator of this new story is Tia Dalma (Naomi Harris), the mysterious voodoo woman responsible for Barbossa's resurrection (which, in my opinion, was explained far too casually). Apparently, he's one of the nine pirate lords, and the time has come for them to join forces against the elusive (but undeniably evil) East India Trading Company, now under the control of the dastardly Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander).

But one of the lords--our beloved Captain Sparrow--remains lost, body and soul, in Davy Jones' Locker, meaning that Barbossa and regulars Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightly) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) have to sail to the ends of the earth to find him. I mean this literally; they eventually spill over a waterfall that would put Niagara Falls to shame. But it seems this is the only way to reach the Locker, which is like a pirate's version of purgatory. We actually get to see this otherworldly realm during one of the film's most baffling scenes; Sparrow is in a surrealistic desert landscape, commanding the Black Pearl crewed by hallucinogenic clones of himself. This scene was constructed with an unwelcome mixture of comedy and pure weirdness, and I simply didn't understand the purpose of it. Was there really no other way to represent purgatory?

By the time Barbossa and the others come to the rescue, Witty Jack has become Funny Jack, which completely works against his character as established in the first film. He was introduced as a flamboyant conniver, undeniably charming and full of biting wit. However, despite a well-developed sense of humor, he was never reduced to pure comedy relief. I can't say the same in terms of "At World's End"; Jack Sparrow has become the main source of the film's humor, ready with slews of one-liners, a seemingly incurable urge to argue, and snappy retorts. I distinctly remember an unnecessary moment with his Good/Bad conscience, classically represented by miniature clones atop his shoulders. Why I remember this, I don't know; it added absolutely nothing to the story, save for a couple of humorous lines.

And then there are the hordes of subplots, all of which prove that every character has at least three hidden agendas. For one thing, the relationship between Will and Elizabeth is suffering: Elizabeth is forced to come clean about her role in Jack's demise; Will is still obsessed with rescuing his father (Stellan Skarsgard) from an eternity of servitude on the Flying Dutchman. Jack and Will fight for the severed, still-beating heart of Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) because, in one way or another, they'll both benefit from it being stabbed. Davy Jones, now under the control of Beckett, is both frightened and excited at the prospect of reuniting with Calypso, the sea goddess who broke his heart (literally) before taking on human form (whose form, I dare not say). Captain Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fat)--one of the nine pirate lords--takes special interest in both Jack and Elizabeth. Tia Dalma's significance increases dramatically, albeit not in a way that's easily understood; by the time her true nature is revealed, one can't help but wonder what the point was.

Ultimately, it becomes an exhausting process of trying to figure out who's doing what to whom and why. Jack alone changes allegiances more times than I can remember, and each time, he proposes yet another intricate plan that everyone knows is only for his benefit. But that's too limiting; overall, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" is an overstuffed film, sure to disappoint--but not entirely let down--both new audiences and diehard fans of the first two films. Still, I'm giving it four stars because it delivers in some very key areas: the special effects are incredible; the basic story between Jack, Will, and Elizabeth is engaging; the action scenes are plentiful and frenetic; Hans Zimmer's score is robust and energetic. And yes, we even get what we've been promised from the very beginning: a special appearance by Keith Richards.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2007
Format: DVD
I thought that this was the best of the "Pirates" movies. While it was long (2hr 45min) this movie seemed to go by much faster than the others. I loved the choreographed sword fights, the bits of humor, and of course the politics of the Pirate convention.

In this movie, Lord Cutler continues to try to scour Pirates from the open seas. Elizabeth's Swan's father is tricked with disastrous consequences, Jack returns from the dead, and Will Turner tries to save his dad without putting Elizabeth in danger. There is romance in this movie, which I greatly enjoyed, but it is far from a mushy film. Violence, love, pirates, it's the perfect movie formula.

China has censored some of the movie in its country because it "vilifies the Chinese." Chow Yun-Fat, who plays pirate lord Captain Sao Feng, had his role slashed because the long, dirty nails and hair is stereotypical antiChinese. Ha! I think China is being too concerned, the movie does not make any nation look like the worst pirate place of the world. There is a definite focus on China/Asia for part of the movie, but what do you expect with a Chinese character. It's a fanciful movie, not racist.

If you, like me, refused to watch the movie without knowing how the Jack-Elizabeth-Will love tangle would end up, I recommend going to Wikipeida and searching for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

By the way, this movie leaves definite room for a sequel. Maybe a Pirates 4 lies in the future....
on May 27, 2007
Verified Purchase
Sure the story is a bit confusing at times, but that just makes me want to see it again. Johnny Depp lacked a little something in Dead Man's Chest, but he is back in true form here. Orlando Bloom has gotten better in the acting department and it was great to see Geoffrey Rush back as Barbossa. I really thought Keira Knightley pulled off the tough chick thing here and that surprised me. The CGI is incredible and the music will have you moving in your seat. Don't listen to the critics and just have a good time with characters we all love.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2007
Format: DVD
Oh this movie is not to missed if you're a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. The ending is exciting, breathtaking, poignant, and bittersweet on so many levels but yet I think all the arrivals of each charater in their journey's destination was well written and thought out, not to mention well acted.

These movies have everything a person could want in a good movie: action, adventure, romance, humor and great memorable characters you can root for or love to hate!

What is there not to love about Pirates of the Caribbean? Do yourself a favor and watch the trilogy if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed if you love each of the things I listed above.
on December 8, 2007
Format: DVD
Unless you are a die-hard PotC fan, don't waste extra money on the 2-disc Special Edition thinking it will have hours of extras, behind the scenes, and other extraneous material. It doesn't. With all the features combined, it doesn't even amount to an hour's worth of material. Just buy the standard Pirates 3 DVD, and save $15.00

Unlike the Pirates 2 DVD, there is NO Making-Of Documentary, which was a major letdown. The featurettes on the Pirates 3 DVD are short, and moderately interesting. "The Making of Sao Feng's Map" ?? Yeaah.. greaaat.

How about some background on the many visual effects (Davy Jones, the Black Pearl flipping underwater, Callypso's transformation, the meeting of the two fleets in battle, etc). Instead we get featurettes that are lacking, somewhat boring, and utterly short.

I don't know if it was a budget thing, or what, but most movies with the production scale of Pirates 3 put a camera crew behind the scenes for a mind-blowing making-of.

As for the film itself, it is not as good as Pirates 1&2. They tried to do WAY too much in terms of story. There are far too many characters, storylines, and plot twists. Captain Jack hops through the plot like a game of hopscotch, befriending and betraying just about every character with a speaking role. By the end of the movie, it is tiring, and ultimately detaches the viewer from the overall plot.

Elizabeth's journey in Pirates 3 is unrealistic, even for a fictional movie. You get the feeling that the writers really had no ideas for her character within the framework set by the first movie, so came up with some radical ideas on the fly to try and keep Keira's presence in the film strong.

Will's individual journey to redeem his father and get revenge on Davy Jones is yet another plot thread which detracts from the overall story.

And just when you think the movie can't get anymore intricate, the writers decide to throw the Callypso plot thread in. This doesn't even make sense for the overall story, aside to create the Maelstrom in which there is a 20-minute sequence in. Why couldn't the Maelstrom be created naturally?

I am a huge pirate fan, and fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, but ultimately, I was letdown by the conclusion of this trilogy. I did not leave the theater going, "Wow. That was amazing." I actually couldn't wait for the film to end. There was too much thrown in, between the many plotlines, constantly shifting alliances between the characters, Callypso, the Brethren Court, Davy Jones, World's End, etc etc etc. My feelings are that the Writers were flying blind (this is evident in the 2nd Pirates Movie, when Gore Verbinski was days from shooting and the Writers had NO SCRIPT.) I can picture them panicking and throwing together this mish-mash of a plot which in some cases contradicts the framework laid out in the 1st movie.

People say that there is a chance for a Pirates 4. In this age of sequels, I wouldn't doubt it. I just hope they return to the basics and don't try to do insanely huge epics with so many plot turns that the audience actually begins to wish the film would just end. Pirates 1 was the perfect film. They should have stuck to that format.

3 stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
But maybe the rum would have helped. This is the weakest entry in what was formerly a great franchise.

When last we saw our characters (in the cliffhanger from the last film), Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) had been swallowed by a giant sea creature and presumed dead. Fortunately, all is not lost. He's only in Davy Jones' Locker. So Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightly) reluctantly team up with a shockingly alive Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) to free him.

Meanwhile, Lord Becket (Tom Hollander) has captured Davy Jones' (Bill Nighy) heart. He is using his control over Jones and his ship, the Flying Dutchman, to hunt down pirates. To stop him, a meeting of the Pirate Lords is called. And since Jack is one of them, he must be rescued. Will his rescuers find him and a way to get all of them back to the land of the living?

Let's be perfectly honest. The main draw of this series is Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. He takes a selfish drunk and makes him funny and interesting. He's in top form here. Not that the other characters don't get their fair share of witty lines. I laughed my way through the first two hours of the two and a half hour film. I was trying to keep track of all the witty lines, but I just couldn't do it.

The acting is great. Special praise goes to Geoffrey Rush who made Barbossa into an interesting character. I actually found myself liking him, something I didn't think I could do after the first film. Much was made of Keith Richard and Chow Yun-Fat being in the film, but they really just had extended cameos. And the special effects were as great as always.

But when you look beyond the witty lines and special effects, the movie starts to fall apart. I had no problem with the long running time, but I expected to be rewarded with a coherent plot for that. Instead, I felt like I needed a score card to keep track of who was doing what to whom. Of course, since it changed every five minutes, it really didn't matter. To make maters worse, the mythology and supernatural elements got completely out of hand. Not only did you have to keep track of motives, but you had to remember who and what everyone really was.

This movie assumes you have seen the first two in the series. If you haven't you'll be lost. Granted, you'll be lost at least once even if you have seen them. But think how much worse it will be if you don't know who the characters are.

And they leave out references to the famous rides. The first two had blink and you miss then scenes that mirrored stuff you see while riding at Disneyland. Maybe I blinked at the wrong time, but I didn't see any here.

Unlike the first two, there was really only one memorable fight sequence here. It was clever, well down, and very entertaining. The others were enjoyable, but not up to the level of this one.

Then there's the climax. I won't spoil it. I'll just say it was not what I expected. And that wasn't a good thing.

The quality of the movies in the series continues to decline. The only reason to make a fourth would be to fix the mistakes made here. But based on this film, I doubt that would happen. If you're a fan, you'll enjoy seeing your favorites again and laughing at their antics. But don't go expecting the entertainment of the first movie. That ship has sailed.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
Lets be honest here. This is the third movie, and, no, it is not as good as the first two, but this triology of movies is definitely one of the best. I love these movies, and so do my children. I was a little taken back by the violence in this movie, but, hey lets face the facts, they are pirates, and pirates where violent. This movie is just so much fun, and I just love to watch Johnny Depp act like a fool. Don't get hung up on the fact it is almost three hours long. It is entertaining, and honestly, when I saw it opening day, it did not fell like a three hour movie. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Isn't that why we all watch movies?!
Verified Purchase
There once was a pirate named Jack
Who was constantly under attack
The last movie's shocker
Sent him to the Locker
The trick now is getting him back

Though hardly a tried and true friend
Barbossa leads them to World's End
It wasn't a squall
But a huge waterfall
That sent the group clean round the bend

Jack's having some deep consultations
With all of his hallucinations
The stones that he grabs
Turn out to be crabs
That live there in vast populations

The Pearl now has too many bosses
As over the waves the ship tosses
At the time of the flash
They upturn with a splash
Leaving Davy Jones counting his losses

The viewer will not be dismayed
To learn that they've all been betrayed
Cross AND double cross
Is how it comes across
As each player has their own crusade

Lord Beckett commands Davy Jones
Who is bound by the heart that he owns
They get into port
For the Brethren Court
Driving fear into the pirates' bones

In an effort to keep things afloat
The pirate lords call for a vote
Jack fiddles the thing
And soon there's a king
Though the king feels more like a scapegoat

Calypso has longed to be free
Once trapped by the pirates' decree
She summons a storm
The ocean to transform
While howling just like a banshee

There's lots more to this soggy tale
With its battle scenes of massive scale
Tales of father and son
And of loves lost and won
But I won't bore you now with detail

New characters give it a boost
Though Keith Richards' role seems quite reduced
Added to that
There's now Chow Yun-Fat
But it's dreadfully over-produced

For almost three hours or more
This movie you'll have to endure
Though perfect in places
It's full of dull spaces
Though I wouldn't say that it's a bore

Rated: 3.5 stars

Amanda Richards, June 3, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2008
Format: DVD
I really liked the first two POC movies, and after the second I was really looking forward to see how things got wrapped up in the third.

I must say that I was very disappointed. With all the time and care that seemed to go in the plots of the first two, the third seemed very rushed, bloated with unneeded characters, and choppy with the characters that really mattered. I'm going to break this down by the parts of this movie that I think a lot of people looked forward to and the different things that I found upsetting:

1. Jack's Rescue: I think one of the big things that most of the followers of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie where looking forward to the most in the third installment was the recuse of the beloved Captain Jack Sparrow that managed to catch everyone's hearts with his "good guy in a bad guy" character.

At the end of the second movie, and the beginning of the third, they build Jack's fate up to be something so unbelievably horrid that our group of beloved misfit pirates have to rush to save him quickly. But when we join Jack in his prison, its nothing as they described. He's stuck on a ship with his own imaginary crew of...himself...and a bunch of crabs in the dessert that proceed to pick up his ship and guide him right to his "saviors". It was very disappointing to wait for some big rescue only to have nothing really bad happen at all. This "big" rescue that they make you think this third movie is going to be about is very big let down and very rushed.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow: Aside from the rescue, the character of Jack Sparrow that we've grown to love is, in at least my opinion, torn apart and tossed to the wind in this movie. His normal humor is lost in a character that is now consumed with getting his own way. Even in the second movie, they were at least able to keep his normal humor there while trying to get the chest.

And not only that, as one of the characters that made the first two movies, his character was brushed aside in order to make room for more characters that really didn't need to be in the movie at all. Jack's lack of appearance in this portion of the trilogy really poses the question of what the writers and producers where thinking when they made this installment.

Also, the parts that Jack is in are brought down by the fact that he has developed what seems to be a multiple personality disorder that follows him through out the movie and is pointless. I mean, the scene in the dungeon on the Flying Dutchman where there are four of him in the same cell is just foolish and confusing. They could have easily cut these "extra" Jack's out and made room to write some of the classic Jack Sparrow humor and "cunning" that is shown in the first two movies.

And the lack of his normal humor and cunning in this movie are disappointing and leave such a well made character seem like a bumbling and self centered fool. And granted that is kind of what the character is, but at least in the first two he was given a sense of humor to make the character enjoyable. But in this movie, the lack of humor just makes his character seem dull and two dimensional. Not the same Captain Jack Sparrow that we all had come to know and love. This was a very big let down.

3. Calypso: While this character starts out with some promise, it really seems that the writers and producers got bored with her before they reached the end and they rushed her role out of the movie.

They built her character up as this all powerful goddess that was trapped inside a human form because of things that she was doing. And people keep warning others through out the movie not to release her because she would turn back on them. And she even makes a point at one time to tell Davey Jones that when she is released into her true form she will return to destroy the brethren.

But when she is finally released, she turns into a 30 ft tall woman. She stands there silently for a few minutes, and then turns into a pile of crabs and falls into the ocean. Talk about anti climatic! And her big "revenge" is a whirlpool that's only victim was Davey Jones who is killed when his heart is stabbed.

If they were going to build a character up so much they should have made her exit a little more, well, a little more ANYTHING. Because of her lack of exit and apparent importance to the plot (other then being Davey Jone's secret love) her character could have been left out and not have really done much to the plot at all. She could have just remained the freaky vodoo lady and been just as effective. This is just one of the characters that does nothing for the plot but to complicate it more with unneeded things.

4. The On Going Romance: We've all waited for the romance between Will and Elizabeth, and more so after we all see Will catching her kissing Jack. It seems that this love that was so deep in the first movie, and still strong in the second, is going to hit more in the third.

But it seems to take a backseat to some less important plot catches in the third. They continue to remain off standish and distant through out the third and continue to lie to each other. It makes you really loose hope for the couple until all of a sudden, during a big battle scene, they decide to get married. Um, what? All that fighting and all that build up to just be solved like that? How unrealistic and disappointing.

And what's worse comes next:

5. Will Turner's Fate: After finally getting married (which we've waited for for 3 movies) Will takes a turn for the worst when he's stabbed and we all believe him to be dead. Instead, Jack spares what he's wanted and has Will take Davey Jones place. How upsetting. After all this, they are resigned to one day a shore in ten years. Great. This great romance is ripped apart at the end.

6. The Flying Dutchman: Even though because of Will's becoming the new captain, the flying dutchman becomes a ship of purpose again, the "secret" scene at the end of the movie leave you to believe that after ten years, his time at sea is up and he's back. But if people paid attention to the tale of Davey Jones, they would realize that the whole point of his story is that he's been assigned to an eternity at sea with only one day on shore every ten years. It wasn't ten years and then he's free.

7. The lack of plot: A lot of the plot that the second movie sets you up for seems to be lost in the third movie, and its really a shame. They bloated the movie with so many unneeded character's that things just become pointless to me. I mean, the one character that seems to have no point other then to hold a rule book and be Jack's brother, what did he really add to the movie? Nothing. He couldn't have been cut out with no consequences.

Overall, the movie was too long and filled with much unneeded aspects. And the parts of the movie that would have made it good must have ended up on the cutting room floor because they weren't anywhere in this film.