5.0 out of 5 stars As Adventure-Packed As The Movie...
Published on May 28, 2007 by Natalie

1.0 out of 5 stars Hoist the colors
Rip off it is not the full song that it claimed to be.I was so disappointed with my purchase. Do not waste your time or money.
Published 20 months ago by Nativeb

5.0 out of 5 stars As Adventure-Packed As The Movie..., May 28, 2007
Natalie (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Zimmer fan, and he has really lived up to expectations with this soundtrack. The music is just amazing: I could listen to it forever, and still not feel that I know it from start to finish. It's full of twists and turns, epic melodies and silly moments that don't cease to entertain. And listening to it really does put you back into the movie - it messes with your head. In a good way!

I also love that there are some choral bits in this album (The Brethren Court, I Don't Think Now is the Best Time).

On to the piece-by-piece run-through:

1. Hoist the Colours - 9.5/10: I love this. The boy's song, the drums and other pirates in the background, all make for a beautiful, haunting way to start off the soundtrack. I only wish they'd included more of it on the CD.

2. Singapore - 7/10: It's not my favorite because it's rather slow in places, but eventually it moves into that adventurous, swooping music that you'd expect.

3. At Wit's End - 10/10: Brilliant! This serves as an intro to the action in the film. All the various themes are mixed in to make for beautiful, epic music.

4. Multiple Jack's - 7.5/10: This is really weird - it includes odd instrumental choices for a pirate movie. But it also works very well, because hey, it's about Jack Sparrow.

5. Up Is Down - 8/10: Upbeat and playful, it gives you hints of the main themes.

6. I See Dead People In Boats - 9/10: Slow and haunting. Love the string instruments.

7. The Brethren Court - 8/10: Bits of the chorus and occassional increases in tempo make it work.

8. Parlay - 7.5/10: A little odd as it slinks into a sort of cowboy-style, but it keeps you on your toes.

9. Calpyso - 8/10: It becomes stronger a little past half-way.

10. What Shall We Die For: 10/10: It's short and very powerful - one of my favorites.

11. I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time - 10/10: This is the biggie of the album. It manages to fit everything in for the climactic scene. Huge, grand, and epic.

12. One Day - 10/10: This contains a lovely new melody that I love. Bittersweet.

13. Drink Up Me Hearties - 9.5/10: The return to the original pirate theme is a great end to the soundtrack and movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zimmer's Full Broadside for "At World's End", May 29, 2007
G M. Stathis (cedar city, utah USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
Once again there have been comments that Hans Zimmer and director Gore Verbinski have relied on "film score by committee" for "Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End," including some input by Verbinski himself on "Hoist the Colours," and that is just fine because it all comes together with a full broadside both on the soundtrack recording and on the screen. This is easily the best of the three "Pirates" scores, and may be one of the very best efforts by Zimmer. To begin Zimmer integrates the main themes from the previous two films (and gives another tongue-in-cheek nod to Ennio Moricone), but he also presents a full fusillade of new themes. He also goes back to the basics of a pretty much full orchestra treatment (with chorus) which is exactly what you want in a swashbuckler. And indeed this is a fine swashbuckling and romantic effort from ominous beginning to heartrending end that runs right up the mizzen with Alfred Newman, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Max Steiner, and of late even James Horner. This is a more complex and dynamic score than we have seen with the "Pirates" series that yields the necessary musical backdrop to a varied tapestry on the screen from the gallows hoisted in the Caribbean to Singapore (a great theme and treatment here), to the rolling seas (a soaring theme here especially in "What Shall We Die For"), with an amazing jig on a turning deck ("Up is Down") just for fun. But it all comes together with a broad theme essentially for Elizabeth and Will. Of course it frolics as well, Jack Sparrow is well represented musically and this provides the essential continuing thread that sews all of the film's tatters together, and may be setting the course for a fourth venture. Beautifully produced (with a fair and representative amount of the score) and very nicely packaged by Walt Disney Records.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drink Up, Me Hearties!! Drink Up!, May 22, 2007
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I'm a long-time fan of Hans Zimmer. Needless to say I have been waiting with anticipation for this soundtrack after hearing previews and clips a couple weeks ago.

I believe that some people who were really in love with the first soundtrack's lightheartedness and hijinks may find this one a bit of a disappointment (and perhaps maybe not). While many of the old themes are used in the span of the entire CD, they are relied upon far less than the previous two, with the obvious exception of Jack's theme. We do, however, hear the old themes, but in different ways. Davy Jones' theme is indeed played on a music box in "At Wit's End" but then it shifts into a moving symphonic rendition. And the East India Trading Company theme, or Beckett's Theme, is given a new feel from the original dulcimer- an electric guitar ("Parley").

It is very epic- as is Hans Zimmer's way, I could hear cues from such movies as The da Vinci Code, King Arthur, and even a tone or two that reminded me of Gladiator. Regardless, this CD definitely has its own feel- there are parts of it that sound vast and whimsical, upbeat and playful, romantic and lighthearted, creepy and dank, and of course, silly and drunk, as is most noticeable in "Multiple Jacks."

The new romantic theme, which is introduced in "At Wit's End," is beautiful and flowing. In fact, it seems a bit surprising on this particular soundtrack, given the feel of the other two soundtracks. It has an ethereal flair to it, and is very orchestral and full.

However, I am loathe to compare this to the other two because of the fact, mainly, that the movie has not officially been released yet, and it's obviously an entirely seperate movie. I can already imagine the scenes in which these songs appear, but I also don't want to get a set image in my head to ruin the anticipation of the movie.

A refreshing and interesting addition, perhaps most of all, is the new pirate shanty (or "dirge," as it were), "Hoist The Colours." It is a short song, relying on drums, that begins with a lone child singing rather hesitantly, then the chorus grows as other pirates (I assume- what else would they be?) join in. This basic, and primary, theme is repeated several times throughout the soundtrack, usually at the climatic points of the songs. Along with this song, the Asian influences in the song "Singapore" (and others) offer a new touch of worldliness to this soundtrack, something that was not utilized before.

Every song on this CD is wonderful. My personal favorites are "Drink Up Me Hearties," "At Wit's End," and "I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time" because these three, in my own opinion, are incredibly dauntless.

The release of this SUPERB soundtrack only makes it worse to wait another 2 days for the movie. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Simply amazing., May 28, 2007
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
Very, very rarely do I write reviews for music here on Amazon - it is, after all, quite the subjective subject.

But the exception here is that the score to this third installment of the Pirates line of films is absolutely stunning, and so much so that I just have to blabber about it.

(7/21/07: editing this review to add a track-by-track for those interested):

1. Hoist the Colours (7/10): Hauntingly beautiful, and pretty unique as far as Pirates score work goes. Bested by several tracks here, but unique nonetheless.

2. Singapore (6/10): Don't much like this one, personally, but it fits the film well. I will say, though, that there is one standout piece of music around ~1:50 that isn't heard anywhere else in this score, and that in itself, however short, makes it worth a listen.

3. At Wit's End (10/10): GORGEOUS. Dramatic orchestral work turns into the chime theme we first saw long ago, and that itself turns into a pretty driving couple of minutes to bring this track to a close in powerful fashion (yes, the kind that makes you skip back to listen to it over and over).

4. Multiple Jacks (5/10): A necessary track for the film, but in terms of listening, I don't particularly care for it.

5. Up is Down (8/10): Catchy, upbeat theme with a powerful conclusion; among the better tracks of the score, even if it is a little short.

6. I See Dead People in Boats (8/10): Beautiful, somehow more classical-sounding (as if in a Beethoven quartet at a couple of short places...?) piece; extremely well put together with great range of thematic material, and an ending few minutes that will send chills up your spine.

7. The Breathren Court (6/10): Meh. There is a brief choral section right in the middle of this that makes it worth a listen, but beyond that, it's not exactly a highlight.

8. Parlay (6/10): Unique in terms of instrumentation, and with a driving orchestral beat near the end that stands out, but otherwise not terribly noteworthy.

9. Calypso (6/10): Again, choral section in the middle of the piece stands out, but this and the preceding two tracks are quickly eclipsed by the following...

10. What Shall We Die For (10/10): Beautifully put together with a driving string section; this one quickly develops into a leading piece for the climax of the film. The choral work that ends this is another one of those chills-up-the-spine moments for the album, and it blends seamlessly into...

11. I Don't Think Now is the Best Time (10/10): I don't even know where to start. The beginning two minutes of this are iffy, but from around 2:55 to the end at 10:45 or so, it's stunningly beautiful. Once again, choral work around the 6:00 mark makes me wish there were more reprises of that short theme in the score, and... and... oh, the hell with it. Zimmer will be up late at night trying to top this one.

12. One Day (10/10): Another dramatic few minutes of music followed by some charmingly beautiful counterpoint. The other reviewers that mention the new theme here are correct - it's absolutely beautiful.

13. Drink Up Me Hearties (10/10): Perfect end to the film (here's to hoping for a #4...). The return to the theme seen in the middle of "Jack Sparrow" from the previous score is well-placed, as is the use of the original Pirates theme. Soaring strings lead the orchestra to an end here - how sad to say - and it's magnificently well done.

This third score is reason enough to see the film again (and again). It's a far more orchestral set of music than #2 was, and it is arguably better-written in terms of capturing a film in music. There are a few new motifs - charming, gorgeous, awe-inspiring motifs - that are heard from time to time throughout the film, and a decent amount of the thematic material from the first two films reappears here, as well.

Essentially, it is as if Zimmer took all that was right with the scores to Pirates 1 and 2, slightly improved it, added new music that rivaled the best of the previous films, and masterfully added them together. But here, somehow, the whole is most definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Highly, highly recommended. If the music from the first two films interested you at all, you're bound to love much of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great soundtrack...BUT..., May 24, 2007
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I have to admit, this is a great score from Hans Zimmer. Being a big fan of most of his work I expected great things from this disc, and it delivered on all of my hopes. The overall tone of the album is different than Dead Man's Chest or the Black Pearl soundtrack. It seems (to me anyway) that the music is bigger and much more dramatic than the previous scores. Zimmer uses instruments that I've rarely heard in his work, such as a piccolo and flute. This disc represents one of the most well rounded recordings of his to date.

As has already been pointed out by other reviewers At Wit's End and I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time are incredible tracks. I'd like to include I See Dead People In Boats and Singapore in that short list of standouts. Multiple Jacks is also a very good bit of music, albeit with a strange mix of rather exotic instruments. Up Is Down has a certain playfulness that I really enjoy as well.

I have to admit however that I have one complaint about this compilation. The music that is playing in the last minute or so of the trailer is not included. The music in question picks up when the first glimpse of the sea battle starts. It is an incredible bit of music that plays prominently for nearly a third of the trailer yet didn't make the cut on this disc. I'm absolutely shocked by this. My understanding was that I Don't Think Now Is Best Time runs around 26 minutes in the film and I believe this "phantom" music came from there. I could be wrong but that's where I think it would fit. Anyway, it's a shame that Disney (or whoever is responsible) edited this out of the soundtrack. The disc runs fifty-six minutes so it's not a question of available time, there was plenty.

That might sound like a small complaint (and it is) but the track in question was an absolutely stunning piece of music. With that said, I will repeat that what is here is undeniably the best score released for any of the three films. I just guess I'll have to wait until the extended version of the soundtrack comes out (which I believe I read was going to happen for all three films)...

***UPDATE***

After watching the film over the weekend I was just as surprised to find that the musical piece referenced above is also missing from the film itself. Not just the soundtrack. Why do they do this? After looking at some other reviews it seems I'm not the only one who was looking forward to hearing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Three Pirate Scores, October 5, 2007
HardyBoy64 "RLC" (Rexburg, ID United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I was mildly disappointed with the Dead Man's Chest soundtrack (especially that horrible remix at the end.) So, I waited to buy the 3rd soundtrack, not knowing what to expect. But I must say...WOW!
This is the most moving and beautiful of the 3 pirate soundtracks. Did I say beautiful? Yes, I did. I have listened to it over and over again. I highly recommend this over the other Pirate movie scores. I rate this one right up with Zimmer's masterpieces "Gladiator" and "Batman Begins".

5.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE improvement from the second, May 25, 2007
Patriot001 (Sussex, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
To begin, I want to give a little background. I loved, and still do love, the first "Pirates" score. Yes, I know it was a bunch of electronics. Yes, I know that the CD had less than 50 minutes of music on it. But, you know what? It was really, really fun! The themes were awesome! You can't beat "The Medallion Calls". Definitely one of my favorite piece of music of all time. As far as Dead Man's Chest goes, I used to love it (especially track 2, "The Kraken"). But as time went on, I slowly started to like it less and less, until finally I couldn't stand it.

(If you want to skip my boring story, skip this paragraph)

So, about a week ago, I finally heard the clips to this soundtrack. I was flipping out. It was like, wow. Then I must have heard them over about fifteen times each (I'm serious). And I waited, and waited, and waited, for that number 22. I called up Wal-mart, and that crap store told me that they have Dead Man's Chest and Curse of the Black Pearl, but no At World's End. Possibly the most popular score right now, and they didn't take the time to get it immediately? Pathetic. Anyway, I bought it off of Amazon on Tuesday, and got it on Wednesday. How did I get it so fast? Well, I started the "Amazon Prime" trial, chose one day shipping (an extra four bucks), and waited almost all day on Wednesday for the UPS truck to come.

So, what do I think of this score?

-On it's Own: Incredible

-Compared to Curse of the Black Pearl: This is probably better, but I love the first one as well. They sound completely different, so you can't really compare them.

-Compared to Dead Man's Chest: At World's End is plain out better, better, and better.

I am seriously going crazy over this score. Dead Man's Chest, though not ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, pales in comparison to this. Just pales. It seems like Zimmer used the electronics very lightly on this one, as the only track with them really pronounced is "Parlay".

Compared to Dead Man's Chest, the original themes aren't constantly present. This is actually a good thing, as we don't hear the same thing over and over again. However, when I do hear them once in a while, it's great. The themes for Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow are present as well, though not overwhelmingly.

It is so hard to pick the tracks that I liked most. Overall, "At Wit's End" and "I Don't Think Now is the Best Time" may be the best. But I also LOVE "Singapore," "Up is Down," "I See Dead People in Boats," "What Shall We Die For," "One Day," and "Drink Up Me Hearties." "Hoist the Colors" is great, too. True pirate music for once. In short, the ones I liked the least are "Multiple Jacks," "The Brethren Court," "Parlay," and "Calypso." I'm not going to go into great detail of all the tracks; if you want that, go to soundtracks.com and read their intensely long review.

Who is this score for? Those who liked the heavy use of electronics in COTBP may not like this one, for the simple reason that it is much more instrumental. But if you can get away from the rock-type sounds, then this is amazing. Those who didn't like DMC (for reasons I can understand), and have been waiting impatiently for this one to come out, then you WON'T be disappointed. And for those of you who have neither COTBP or DMC, give it a shot (no, don't shoot it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond words, July 8, 2007
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I can't even explain how I feel about the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, especially the third disc. I can't imagine how someone can be so talented to be able to connect you to the story through this music, I just really can't understand. "At Wit's End" is definitely a masterpiece, however every single song on this disc, along with all the others are absolutely outstanding. I love soundtracks, but I am aware of Hans's talent, and knowing he was one of the composers of these tracks I knew it would be a win win situation, and I knew I was not to be disappointed. I have never caught myself listening to a soundtrack..over and over.....and over again. Literally, I even watch the movies over and over so that I can listen to the soundtracks on it. Amazing stuff, just like I said, BEYOND WORDS!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of the three?, July 3, 2007
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
I love this CD, in my opinion it is the best of the three movies and it certainly benefits from the full orchestral treatment.

I have no knowledge of musical theory but very much enjoy the way that the differing themes appear throughout the soundtrack and how, when they are played on varying instruments and to changed tempos, they present such different feelings. It is also fun to be able to recognise themes that have appeared in the soundtracks for the first and second movies.

If you are a fan of movie soundtracks I would definitely recommend Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Score, May 24, 2007
Regina N. (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Audio CD)
Definitely the best of all the Pirates soundtracks, Hans Zimmer outdoes himself, as always. I've listened to this soundtrack about 12 times already...only got it a few days ago. Each of the songs has a wonderful uniqueness and possesses its own quality. While listening to each you can imagine what is happening, whether or not you've yet to see the film. An absolutely wonderful piece, all classical and Pirates fans must hear it.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End by Hans Zimmer (Audio CD - 2007)