Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on April 4, 2011
I got a Piteba oil press a little over a year ago. I have this thing about knowing how and having the tools to "do it myself" and I always wanted to be able to press my own vegetable oil.

The Piteba is the only small hand-cranked oil press that I found, but it works great. It does have a learning curve, and getting to know individual seeds and whatnot. I had great success with using it with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and I am experimenting now with growing my own sunflowers and hull-less pumpkins to press the seeds. The ultimate in sustainability! I didn't have so much luck with flax seed, I found that it all compacted towards the end but then I emailed the manufacturer and he got back quickly telling me to just add a little water because flax can be tricky. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but he responded so quickly and that was really nice.

I actually did a full-on review with photos at my blog here - [...]

So really to summarize, the Piteba is a really great tool for anyone who would like to just be a little more independent and produce their own. It does take hard work to use but it also really makes you appreciate the fact you can just go out and buy vegetable oil. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it took a few times to get all the machining dust off the interior, but I figured that was normal.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2011
The Piteba Expeller allowed us to extract kukui nut oil quite successfully -- it took a little experimentation to figure out the best method but my husband and I were glad to find an expeller at a fairly reasonable price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2012
Great product, excellent customer service who answered all my questions, gave great recommendations, sent me additional parts for free. I would highly recommend this product and this seller.
We purchased this machine for a science fair project to demonstrate extracting healthy oils from fresh nuts.
The product is easy to assemble, setup and use and is very durable. We made fresh walnut, sesame, and macadamia oils. The kids loved using the machine to expel the oils and then dipping fresh bread into the fresh oil to eat immediately. We were one of the most popular booths at the science fair!
We mounted the Piteba to a board about 18 inches long and 2 inches thick. Then, we used standard screw clamps to hold the Piteba steady on the table when it is being cranked. For the collector, we used a plastic gatorade bottle, 20 ounce I think, that fit snuggly over the top opening.
All in all, a great product, great customer service, and a good time!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2012
Piece of cake on the second attempt.

Failed miserably on the first attempt because the commercially dried, then toasted, seeds were way too dry. I added 45ml of water to the half kilo bag of seeds(double what the instructions say)and left them in the window for two days...stirred them a couple times a day. This morning I cranked it up again and went through the bag (half a kilo) in about ten minutes....crank turns easy. Initially a few seeds and a couple of drops of oil came out the front expeller holes then it started to flow out of the oil slot. This is great. Going to do more next week.

When the first attempt failed I read through the instructions and took a look at the Piteba site. I also watched a couple of the Youtube videos. It was obvious that the crank should not have been as hard to turn as it was on the first try. The results fit the seeds way to dry description.

We used Perila Seeds (Korean mint) which are about the size and oil content of sesame seeds. They worked fine. It just takes a little reading and experimenting to get the moisture content right. That seems to be the key to success.

And this thing is built like a tank. If you break it you've done something wrong.
on October 18, 2012
The Piteba is a great product for extracting oil, you need to be patient in using it.
First you need to condition your seeds by adding small volume of water. For sesame seeds you can add 60ml of water for every 1000g of seed, you have to let the seeds rest for 12hours.
The extraction is easy but you have to do the extraction process twice to get a good result of high oil yeild.
Secondly, my observation is that that the oil has a slight discoloration due to the shaft this can be taken care of by allowing the oil to settle for 24hours then you can gently sieve off the clear oil.
Thirdly, the cap is usually blocked by the extracted cake, so there is need to clean by dismantling the equipment and this also takes time.
The residue has only small amount of oil left. Overal the equipment works well.
My experience with the seller is awesome and they are very prompt in responding to enquiries about their product the PITEBA.
Thank you for making my shopping experience great.
on March 1, 2014
First, this product does work, but is a two person operation. It requires a lot of arm strength and must be worked continuously or it will seize up and you will have a devil of a time getting it unstuck jockeying the crank back and forth. This implies one person cranking while the other person's arm recovers.

I bought a small cutting table and mounted it on that using two bolts. Our very first try was with an old bucket of very dry pumpkin and squash seeds. It soon became apparent that the table was not heavy enough. My wife had to sit on the table while she kept the supply of seeds going with a chopstick. Also we had to tape the funnel to the Piteba or it would tip over. It became immediately apparent that I really should have mounted that vertical piece of wood to fix the Piteba body securely.

Our very first try was with an old bucket of very dry pumpkin and squash seeds. Pumpkin seeds are difficult to crank and NOT very productive, but we did get some dark green oil. The press-cake was driven into the reducing cap with such force that when I took it apart to clean, the press cake in the reducer was a hard, solid mass. I attacked it with a drill and screwdriver, then finally in frustration dunked the reducer in water for a half hour. The dunking loosened the press cake and now its all clean again. Next time I'll do something easier, like sesame seeds or peanuts.

The top of the bottle that holds the lamp oil does not screw on, but just sits loosely on top. This is a safety issue, and a real danger if your table shakes around like mine did. Also, the wick it came with didn't fit in the hole in the lid. I had to ream the hole out to fit a standard lamp wick.

The flame sits too close to the Piteba body and copious amounts of soot are produced, indicating very inefficient combustion. Don't do this indoors without really, really good ventilation or your room will smell like lamp oil. You never will clean all the soot off the body of the press.

With the exception of the dreadful design of the lamp, there is really nothing wrong with this unit. I feel compelled to give it only three stars however because of the unsafe lamp design. I will be looking for another bottle, same diameter but a bit shorter, in the craft stores. I'll drill a hole in the lid for the wick and use the shorter bottle instead.
on July 25, 2012
The Piteba Oil Press worked well when we used it to make walnut oil. The manual available from the Piteba website is worth reading. However, setting up the machine requires bolting it to a solid base. You need to make your own funnel for the product intake and you need to buy lamp oil to heat the press to operating temperature. After use you need to dismantle it promptly otherwise hardenned material becomes almost impossible to remove. Overall a good machine but some skills required for operation. The product link is:
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2014
Like many others here have noted the oil is black. Unlike many others, I didn't have any trouble getting tons of oil out of black sunflower seeds. The little oil lamp that comes with it, is attached to the press by means of a rubber!

Also the oil lamp has this little washer-type thing that just sits on top of the jar that holds the kerosene or whatever you're using for fuel. It can get bumped and completely fall off the jar and now you've got this fire and an open container of fuel...totally unsafe if you ask me. All they would have had to do is include a mason jar type of ring that would screw on and hold the wick holder in place.

I didn't think it took a lot of work to get the oil going, compared to a hand wheat grinder.

The oil doesn't come straight out of the slit like they show either. Mine curved around the slit and then ran along the underside of the press almost right up to the lamp. I had to have someone hold a small bottle tilted sidways to catch the oil dripping right in front of the heating lamp. This may relate to the crummy welding job spoken of by other reviewers
All in all, it basically does what it says it does, but not worth $150 bucks. I would have been very happy with it for $50 - $75.

In summary - the construction and execution could have been more refined, but it does what it says it does. They need to come up with some other way to secure the lamp, or some other way to heat the expeller.

Update 11/26/2014:
I contacted Mr. Blaak in the Netherlands who invented it and he was very helpful, so I have to let everyone know that customer support is great! English is a second language for him and he communicates very well. I've had it for several months now and the metal is holding up and the expeller is not corroded or anything. The press-cake outlet is extremely difficult to clean - I have only used it for sunflower seeds - but the cake is always rock-hard. Again, getting back down to design issues, if the reducer used for this part was made so you could take it apart, like maybe held together with some allen bolts, it would be easy to clean and I think would do just as well as a one-piece part.
If you want to know what types of seeds it will do and also how much oil you can expect to get, here's a link to the Piteba page:​
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
First off I would say it is well constructed. I feel very safe using it as the materials are all safe for food use. Not so confident of that when it comes to the knockoffs from overseas. It took some time to figure it out. The premise is very simple. You use an augur to crush and then press the seeds. The backpressure is controlled by the cap which has holes in it for the press cake to exit. The oil passed through the slit near the crank. It takes a fair amount of force but not too bad if the seeds have the correct moisture content. Nuts and seeds that you buy at the store are very dry(to prevent mold) and moisture needs to be added in order for the seeds to crush more easily and for the press cake to exit the holes in the cap. Also it needs to be mounted firmly and all the hardware is provided. Expect to use a fair amount of force but if it requires too much you are doing something wrong. I must say it is very gratifying when that oil starts dripping out of that slit. The oil tastes so healthy and fresh.
on July 14, 2013
Good product, easy to use and assemble, has the functionality to extract the oil, but the installation is unfriendly and nor dispenser brings.