5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect compliment to the New Living Translation
Published on November 4, 2009 by Joel L. Watts

Published on October 28, 2012 by brody

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect compliment to the New Living Translation, November 4, 2009
People willingly spend hundreds of dollars on console gaming systems, or computers, or even new church clothes, but generally look for the best `deal' on the bible. While this bible is highly priced (most over $100 - but in no way overpriced), the value, the longevity, the quality of it, will last far long than some of those things you have have spent 10 times as much on. If you value the bible, then this is a bible which will hold its value for a long time.

I currently have several Cambridge bibles in my collection, all of them King James. (One includes the Apocrypha, which was printed in many of the early KJVs.) My oldest daughter has a Cambridge bible, circa 1950's/1960's which is still in use, in great shape, and dearly loved. My wife has a white leather bible, just a few years old, and it still retains it's `newness' feel. Further, after having given away a fine wide-margin Cambridge, my two KJV Cambridges, both black calfskin remain a center point for my library, and my church use (if I am not using one of my NLT's). You simply cannot go wrong with a Cambridge bible.

The printing in the Pitt Minion is small (typeface is 6.75 point), and might be troublesome for some eyes; however, the Pitt Minion is geared to be compact, but sturdy. While the typeface is smaller than what some might expect, the printing is clear making it easier to read than expected. It is a red-lettered edition, but unlike other red-lettered bibles, has quality dark ink which is consistent throughout. The goatskin leather provides suppleness, and the sewn-binding means that it will lay flat on it's back. The bible is printed on India paper, with gilded edges, which may hinder normal notations made by the user, but they do have special pens for this type of paper. Further, this NLT, like the recent Mosaic, is center-column reference, making it a traditional reference bible. The Pitt Minion NLT also features the standard maps (15 pages) and the 100 plus page dictionary/concordance.

The beauty of any Cambridge is the historical and value-rich feel. This bible can be handled with ease by anyone. Simply, for value, the Cambridge cannot be beat; for readability the NLT cannot be beat. When you bring both together, you have a bible worth more, and with a long lasting value, than many on the marker today. This Pitt Minion is the New Living Translation, providing a quality bible translation in clear language. For those who want a quality bible which will last for generations, go with the Cambridge. You will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - Cambridge quality maybe not what it used to be., October 28, 2012
I was really excited to receive this bible. I love high end bibles, Have invested in a few from Allans to other various smyth sewn bibles. I wanted to love this bible. And at first glance when I pulled it out of the box I really did. It is the perfect size, the goatskin is beautiful. However, upon opening the bible I noticed a pretty substantial flaw. This is a red letter edition, and in each of my gospels, and in various other points where red letter is present in places like 1 Cor 10, Acts, etc. The red letter is not lined up with the black letter.

Upon discovering this, I contacted Cambridge and they advised me to send the bible back for inspection. After they received the bible I got an email from the person I was dealing with advising me that on that day the cambridge representative was at the publishers house and she showed him the bible. She then told me that He had told her that this was not going to be considered a defect and that they would not replace the bible. I pointed her to the cambridge website which clearly boasted about their quality in this regards:

Printing
The appearance of the printed page is a good indication of the quality of both the printing and the paper. The position of the type on the page and the width of the margins should be uniform throughout. All letters should be sharp and clear and the inking should be even and uniform on all pages. In red-letter Bibles the register (the relative position of the red and black type on the page) should be correct and consistent.

Their own advertising promotes how well they have done this - yet with my bible the red letters were either 1/2 font size higher or lower than the black letters.

After some emailing back and forth the representative decided to send me a replacement bible. Unfortunately the new one came today and it has the same problems, and even more frustrating is the new one now has from Genesis to the end of Judges a deep crease where it seems like it was folded over on itself.

Really disappointed in my first Cambridge purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Quality, September 21, 2009
This review is from: NLT Pitt Minion Reference Edition NL443:XR black French Morocco leather (Leather Bound)
About The Binding & Cover:
The cover of this edition is made from high quality French Morocco leather. French Morocco leather is made from high-grade Calfskin leather which is split to make it slightly thinner, in order to simulate the appearance and texture of sheepskin leather. This type of leather is very durable and will last for many years. This Bible lays flat in your hand while you are reading due to it's high quality Smythe sewn binding. Smythe sewn binding is considered the highest quality binding, the pages are sewn and glued to the spine of the Bible. The benefits are a long lasting Bible that can be read and reread for years without falling apart. Books with Smythe sewn binding will stand up to more abuse than regular glued binding, and can be read on a flat surface. For these reasons many textbooks, picture books and Bibles that are designed to stand the tests of time use Smythe sewn binding. Smythe sewn book printing and binding gets its name from its inventor, an Irish-American named David McConnell Smythe (1833-1807). A pioneer of modern day bookbinding, Smythe took a bold leap forward over the centuries old methods of binding by producing the first technology and methods for sewing book pages to the spine to create a book of superior quality and appearance. Size: 6.94 X 4.88 (inches) Weight: 17 ounces (500gm)

What's inside?
This Bible is impressive for its size having many features I would not expect to see in a thin line edition. Features Include: A center column cross reference, a very useful tool for finding related verses. Sixteen detailed color maps, with a map index to help you find certain locations. The Concordance is 116 pages, to easily find key words and related verses. In the Concordance are short explanations of what each word means, allowing the Concordance to serve as a Dictionary. The text size is 6.75 on 7pt lexicon No.1, the front used makes this edition one of the most readable compact Bible I have used. This edition's layout is double column format, red letter edition, with paragraph/subject headings. Printed in the Netherlands on Indian paper gives this edition a true since of craftsmanship. The black leather cover, black ribbon marker, and pages edged in gold gives this edition a classic elegance reminiscent of the 1900's.

In the Front

In the Back

* Concordance/Dictionary
* Map Index and Maps

About this Translation:
The New Living Translation (NLT) is a translation of the Bible into a clear, readable form of modern English. Originally starting out as an effort to revise The Living Bible, the project evolved into a new English translation from the Hebrew and Greek texts. This latest edition released in 2007 follows a combination of formal equivalence (or word-for-word) and dynamic equivalence (or thought-for-thought) methods of translation. The words and phrases are translated as simply and literally as possible. The result is a translation that is both analytically accurate and visually powerful."

History:
Cambridge University Press is the world's oldest continually operating book publisher and is the oldest Bible Publisher, with an unrivaled tradition stretching back over 4 centuries and a long standing reputation for quality and craftsmanship. Cambridge University Press is committed to the highest standards of printing and binding. Each Cambridge Bible is skillfully made from the finest materials. The materials used in the binding are natural products, and many aspects of the binding process are hand-crafted, resulting in a unique and long last Bible. As a testament to the quality of their Bibles, each Cambridge Bible is unconditional guaranteed for life against defective materials or workmanship of any kind.

My Personal Opinion
I find this Bible impressive, for many reasons: 1. It lays flat in my hand while reading, something that I always appreciate and look for in quality Bibles. 2. The leather has a wonderful feel , this is one is one of those Bibles that you will not want to put down. 3. Unlike many leather Bibles the detailed grain of this edition looks very natural, greatly adding to it's appearance. 4 . The paper is surprisingly strong, this is the first ultra-thin Bible that I felt comfortable flipping through the pages. Many ultra-thin editions will wrinkle or tear if you flip through them the way you would a regular sized Bible. I am very impressed with the quality of this edition, and would recommend this Bible to anyone looking for a Ultra-Thin NLT.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Bible for me!, February 25, 2010
J. Kevin Walker (Mendenhall, MS USA) - See all my reviews
Wow, I think I've found the perfect Bible for me. Last week, I ordered the Cambridge NLT Pitt Minion from Amazon, and received it the very next day.

I have to admit, I was slightly taken aback at first by the small print on the inside - but, within a day of reading and carrying the Bible around with me, my eyes had totally adjusted. In fact, now the print in my other Bibles seems to be too big!

Several things work together to make this the perfect Bible for me. First, I love the fact that, even though it's small, Cambridge placed two ribbon markers in it.

Also, it's the perfect size to be my "take everywhere" Bible. And, since I received the Bible, that's exactly what I've done.

The goatskin leather is very soft, yet still firm (for those of you well versed in Bible covers and binding, you'll know exactly what I mean). The leather has continued to soften since I received it, too.

The Smyth-sewn binding is extremely durable, and will last for a long, long time. This is a big plus for me, because I tend to wear out my "carry-everywhere" Bibles very quickly.

Also, because of the binding, this Bible opens flat right out of the box.

Once again, when you order the Bible, your first reaction to the small print (the Bible lists it as 6.75 font) might be to put it back in the box and return it. But please, listen up, give your eyes a few days to adjust. You'll be very glad that you did! I was actually able to take this Bible to the pulpit with me on Sunday and read from it. The font is very crisp and clear, and the paper is high-quality "India" paper. As long as you aren't in very dim lighting, the text in this Bible will be easier to read than even some 8+ font Bibles.

You can find more thoughts on this, and pictures, at: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Bible: Tiny Font..., September 23, 2009
I continue to buy the nicest Bibles I can find in various translations. This is my latest addition to my collection.

The craftsmanship is extraordinary. I got the brown goatskin version and am extremely pleased with the supple yet firm feel. The covering is perfect to me. The paper and print are sharp to my view. HOWEVER, beware the font is VERY small. I wear 3.0 reading glasses and need every bit of this power to enjoy the reading. I will continue to hope for a Cambridge NLT with Large/Giant Font. That would be my dream Bible to own and read.

I strongly considered returning this Bible because of the font size, but decided to keep it to carry in public because of the small overall size of the Bible. I'm heading to the Dr for my annual physical and will take it with me to read in the waiting room. If you have great eye sight buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Edition of the NLT, November 19, 2010
I have never seen a portable Bible that comes anywhere close to the beauty of the NLT Pitt Minion in brown goatskin.

NLT lovers are not spoiled with high end editions. Unlike the KJV or ESV, the NLT's target audience doesn't seem as interested in goatskin or art gilding. This may be an error in the publisher's approach, but it also may be the conversational quality of the translation being valued by a younger generation whose aesthetics are still dominated by imitation leather. Whatever the reason, the resulting market may give the Cambridge Pitt Minion a place as the highest end, best bound edition of the NLT on the market.

I'm still hoping Cambridge will produce an NLT Wide Margin, but the NLT has not had commercial success with itsNotemaker's edition (I hope to get a copy for review at some point).

The brown goatskin binding maintains its reputation for suppleness and durability and the rich milk-chocolate color adds a warmth to the appearance. The cover of the Pitt Minion is neither as soft, supple or thick as my ESV Wide Margin, but in some ways that should be expected as this is a smaller, thinner Bible and the stiffer leather is still a huge step above most "genuine leather" covers. I have no doubt that the binding will soften with use until it's as supple as the the heavier wide margin.

The 4.875 x 6.94 dimensions put the Pitt Minion on the larger end of a compact Bible. It's an in-between size that remains ultra-thin and compact but is probably not quite small enough to fit inside your suit jacket pocket. The Pitt Minion is a compact, but not a beater Bible. Therefore it doesn't need to fit in the back of your pants pocket or in any of those other awkward places you would stuff an imitation or bonded leather beater. The Pitt Minion is designed for those who want a portable Bible but not a "stuffable" Bible.

The layout of the Pitt Minion remains something somewhat magical. The 7 point font is not huge, the double columns may not be as reader friendly as single column (depending on your preference), but somehow the layout is both pleasant and extremely readable. Every Bible layout is a compromise between readability and size and the Pitt Minion's size does not make it an obvious candidate for the most pleasant reading experience; however the combination of layout and size somehow minimizes squinting and the lightweight, thin design does not make holding it closer to your eyes awkward.

Somehow a full column of references manages to sit in the middle of the page without disturbing the layout or producing bloodshot eyes from squinting at the tiny numbers. The only major compromise which may prove unsatisfactory to some is the paper. The box boasts of the paper: "ultra-thin, smooth and opaque." While the first two attributes are indisputable and the strength of the paper is also impressive and inspires confidence in the Bible's durability, the opacity of the paper may bother some as "ghosting" is clearly noticeable, though my guess is that most readers will not be significantly disturbed.

The NLT Pitt Minion is a compact Bible designed for everyday use but has a luxury feel. It's the top end of NLT editions, and for those who value the readability and conversational quality of the NLT, this Bible could be the perfect edition. The Pitt Minion is not a study Bible or a Bible suited to highlighting or note-taking. It's an everyday reading Bible which will not only last a lifetime but will provide pleasure to the eyes as well as portability.

Biblereadingproject.com

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure, April 8, 2011
Michael Kear (Albuquerque, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Cambridge NLT Pitt Minion Bible in black goatskin leather is a treasure for any person who is fond of the great old Cambridge traditon. Let's start with the cover. This Bible is bound in genuine goatskin leather. There isn't a better leather out there for the price than goatskin. It is soft and thick, tough and yet very pliable. This Bible just feels great in your hands. When you hold it open in your hands you feel like you are holding a real Bible made in the old tradition. And it smells great!

The binding is smyth-sewn and opens flat right out of the box, which is really outstanding if you like to study at a desk or table. The page edges are art gilt, red under gold, a process that is more expensive for Bible makers but reflects a much higher quality Bible.

The paper is nice. Smooth, opaque, strong, and non-glare, so it doesn't tire the eyes. The print is quite small but readable if you have decent eyesight. This is a reference Bible with center column references, a concordance, and a nice section of maps. This is remarkable for such a small Bible.

The New Living Translation is one of the most readable translations available. Wonderful for devotional use as well as comparing with other translations when you are studying. The Pitt Minion is the 2007 NLT text.

If you appreciate traditional Cambridge quality, you will love this Bible. Designed to last a lifetime and pass down to your children or grandchildren, this Bible is worth every penny you spend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Version, August 7, 2010
This version of the Bible has to be the most lucid translation to date. The Word of God speaks in the same language I think. Not being brought up with the Word, it was difficult for me to comprehend the meaning, or understand the preaching from a much older version. This one is in today's language. Instead of being stilted by "word for word" translation, the "thought for thought" translation flows and communicates beautifully.
I teach from this version.
The size was quite a bit smaller than I expected, but it fits well in my hand and is easy to read.
The only thing I can say regarding the Bible I received is that the words of Christ in red are a little off. They look like they were printed separately and aren't located within the text as they should be. I would have returned it for another of the same, but it was inscribed before I noticed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best NLT edition on the market, August 30, 2010
Paul Nielsen (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Like the other reviewers, I find this NLT to be of excellent publication quality. The leather and binding are increadible. However, I've tried reading a few chapters and it jsut plain hurts my eyes. the font size is very very small and the font itslef just seems hard to read. I travel constantly, and like to carry a thin Bible. I loved my NLT original Tyndale leather slimline and I'm returning the Pitt Minon and looking for a Tyndale SLimline that I can read.

Review Update - I decided to keep it and after a couple weeks, it's become my favorite. I can only read it in strong light. but since I travel quite a bit (8 flights, 3 cities/ 5engagements and Holland in the next 3 weeks), it really is the perfect travel Bible.

The font is very easy to read. I would still have prefered 1 more inch, but I'm satisfied and I changed my rating from 3 to 5.

Update 2: After a few months, this is still my favorite Bible. It's the one I use everyday, even when not traveling. The leather has worn in wonderfully, it's soft and supple. I can't say enough good thgins about thsi BIble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and classy!, February 12, 2010
I was a bit hesitant at first to buy this product because of the small font. After reading through Genesis and Exodus in this Bible I have been amazed at just how readable this font is. It is small, but very readable and easy on the eyes. I've even used it reading to our congregation and had no trouble seeing the font.

I love the size of this bible too. Perfect for carrying to hospitals, nursing homes, board meetings, and whatever else a minister finds himself running to. You can easily tuck it in a jacket pocket. So handy! There's now no excuse to not have a bible with you wherever you go.

As for craftsmanship this is classic and classy. Classic in that it looks like bibles of old (think an old KJV). Classy in that it is put together well. Bible will last longer than you. I ordered the brown goatskin and love the leather and how it feels in my hand. This is well worth your money. It's about time we see some high-end NLTs. Great translation and great bible. A big "thank you" to the folks at Cambridge for adding this product to their line.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

NLT Pitt Minion Reference Edition NL443:XR black French Morocco leather
NLT Pitt Minion Reference Edition NL443:XR black French Morocco leather by Baker Publishing Group (Leather Bound - July 2, 2009)
$100.00 $73.03