Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pivotrim Pro Pivot Design, Straight Shaft Grass Trimmers
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 15, 2010
This product really works. However, if I pushed the lines close enough to concrete, the lines would still snap off at the head, but they'd break much less frequently than on traditional trimmer heads. I have found the 20x increase in line life claim to be not far off the mark. Although this product saves me lots of lines, I do have to stop a few times to put in new lines in order to fully trim a suburban backyard overgrown with tall weeds. And each time it takes a couple of minutes to do. With traditional bump feeds, you just bump the head and keep on going without the periodic interruptions, so I'm trading non-interruptions and convenience for line savings when using the Pivotrim head.

Pivotrim comes in either the Pro version or the standard version. The Pro version takes either 0.095" or 0.105" lines. I suppose it's possible the Pro version can also accept 0.080" lines, but I've never tried it. The standard version takes either 0.080" or 0.095" lines. The Pro version has a heavier and thicker housing.

The only real shortcoming with the Pivotrim not mentioned in its advertisement is that, long, tough, fiberous weeds, such as pampas grass blades, have a strong tendency to coil around the top of the housing, requiring periodic cleanup during a trimming sesson. This is primarily due to the geometry of the head design which creates a narrow neck between the trimmer and the trimmer head that tends to wrap tough grass blades around the neck. It should have a closed trimmer head design like that found on the Husquarnas to prevent this problem.
33 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2010
This the very first "as seen on tv" product that I have ever purchased that has actually worked as good as they say. I have used about 15 or 20 heads on my weed-eater trying to find one that's not a pain in the ***. I have tried about all the fixed line models and usually I have to change the line out 4 or 5 times to weed eat my yard and with this head I did not have to change the line one time and it still looks good! I will never purchase another as this one has won me over. It took me about 10 mins to put it on (9 to get the other one off and 1 to put this one on lol) and it comes with many different bolts for different weed eaters. I do not give many reviews but had to say how happy I am with this product.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2012
Addendum to original review:

I've used the regular (red .095" line) and the pro (orange .105" line) Pivotrim heads for a few years now and both cut better than other trimmers we've owned (see original review below.) Unfortunately there's a design flaw in the Pivotrim. The bottom plastic covering is not robust enough to withstand normal the wear and tear of impacts with hard materials such as rocks or concrete. I've broken this bottom shroud on both units. The company was nice enough to send me replacement units in each case but unfortunately they do not sell a replacement shroud separately, even though it's held on by a few screws and is removable. I've asked the company to either make the plastic covering shrouds out of a durable solid material (the present ones are all hollow making them prone to breakage) or to sell the shroud as a replacement part.

Also: When I spoke to the tech department at Pivotrim, I described my use of the trimmer on grass surrounded by rocks. They informed me that the rapidly spinning plastic head is not really designed to allow for accidental bumps against rocks. This is just plain silly considering where string trimmers are used in the real world. It's even more ridiculous when applied to what they themselves refer to as a commercial "Pro" unit.

Nevertheless I still rate the Pivotrim with three stars - just for it's cutting ability and ease of string changing. Even though I don't like the fact that the bottom shrouds too easily break, this string trimmer is so superior to other designs on the market that I will continue to use them. It does mean replacing the entire unit whenever the shroud breaks, but that's a price I'm still willing to pay for the better performance.

Original Review:
Over the years I've used (and abused) several different trimmer heads and have always been disappointed. Generally the line breaks prematurely resulting in too much time being spent on line changing rather than on actual trimming. No so with this Pivotrim Pro head. There are 4 line holders (posts) and each holder uses both ends of a line segment. This results in eight actual cutting lines. The holders pivot smoothly and it's very quick and simple to insert a new piece of line even though you won't have to do this nearly as often as you do on other trimmer heads. It also cuts faster with eight lines instead of the conventional 2 to 4 found on other trimmers.

Although I think this trimmer is the best on the market, there is a slight down side. Those little line holders (posts) apparently don't last forever since the company sells replacements. Mine haven't broken off yet after several hours of use but the potential is there so I'll have to purchase a package of spares.

Note: This is a review of the Pro (orange posts) model which uses .105" line. I also have the regular .095" line (red posts) and it too performs well but not quite so nicely as the pro model - probably due to its lighter line.
on July 28, 2011
Product claims are true, this trimmer head is fantastic. I've owned one for about 5 years and it finally began to fail but only after many many hours of use. I cut around a 5 acres lake, dam, buildings, tractor storage areas, etc. and never a complaint about this trimmer head. It is true that it last longer and cuts better. Well worth the cost. I purchased another one, the Pro model, but was able to repair the old trimmer head. Now I have a back up. Buy one, you will not be disappointed.

Update June 2012. I purchased two additional trimmers and PivoTrim Pro Heads for both. Amazon was best price. Installed on an Echo without hassle and boy does it work well. Use the 0.105 line in only two slots for faster spinning of trimmer head. Nice product that really works.

Update July 2012. I have discovered the length of trimmer string is too long based upon the 20 strings shipped with the unit. This is for use with a new Echo trimmer. If you shorten the length by about 3" the Echo works much better and spins faster therefore cutting better. I am using Gator 5-edge cutting line. Works great.
on April 20, 2012
Quality product which installed very easily. BE CAREFUL about your trimmer line purchase!! The trimmer states that it uses either .095 or .105 line. I purchased the Maxpower .105 TWISTED commercial grade line and it won't fit in the holes. I called the company and they told me that only the ROUND trimmer line works. Great products, but be careful that both are compatible!
on March 27, 2012
I have a Black and Decker electric trimmer/edger that was a piece of junk! You couldn't go 5 feet without having to turn it over and rethread the line because it would break off right at the opening... I bought it on clearance so I couldn't take it back. Anyway, I purchased the 5101PT Pivotrim and received it today. As shipped it wouldn't fit so I removed the back. The pivot heads are kept in place by the trim line on one side and the housing head of my trimmer in the back. I shortened the adapter/bushing by a little less than 1/4", drilled it though so the shaft end of my trimmer would fit through w/ the adapter/bushing reversed. I purchased a longer screw so I could reach the end of the cable-shaft on my trimmer and added a washer. Went around the whole fenceline in my backyard without having to stop once! That was a new experience for me. This is a 100% improvement over what was on my trimmer! I would be happy to assist anybody else that wanted to modify theirs to fit an electric trimmer. As long as the end of the shaft has a screw/bolt fitting it should work! Great product! Thanks so much!!!
on July 17, 2011
It was super easy to install on my Stihl trimmer and it did exactly as it was suppose to! Line was easy to install and I am ordering a second one as a spare. I got the pro model with 4 lines and the head will last much longer. I got 1 1/2 acres of weed eating to do around my home and when I was done and this includes fence line was still in great shape.
on July 6, 2011
The Better Heads LLC Pivotrim helps make yard trimming easier. It gives you more trimming power with its four double trim lines. It makes the line last longer and is much easier to change the line to get the job done sooner.

The only drawback is that tall weeds can wrap around the hozzle above the head. They need to make an adapter that brings the head flush to the spindle.
on September 22, 2012
I purchased a Pivotrim Pro as most of my lawn is edged with sandstone rocks.
After 10 minutes I lost 2 lines, both cropped at the pivot point leaving small U shaped pieces.
Read the instructions again and used only two lines. Both were severed after 5 minutes.
Replaced the 2 lines and ran at half throttle with failure after a few minutes. Getting frustrated.
Purchased a heavy duty line and replaced the 4 lines. Some improvement but less that 15 minutes life.
My opinion: An under performing and Over hyped product which will find the Garbage Bin.
Back to my old bumper trimmer head.
on August 17, 2013
Although the Pivotrim (now owned by Yardworks Jarden) customer support says this won't work with ANY electric string trimmers, it works great with the Greenworks 21142 since it has so much power. They say an electric trimmer will overheat using this head, but not so IMHO. I guess they've been burned by too many returns and complaints when used with battery or other light duty electrics.