Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on May 6, 2015
I wanted to get a few frames for all my photos so I started a bit of research. I could hardly find any comparative reviews so I decided to buy the top two best sellers on Amazon.
Both of them have to be connected to a web account so explored their websites as well.
1) Read the Terms of Service!! Call me skeptical, but security of my photos is very important to me. the terms for nixplay were very clear. I own my photos, that’s it ! .

For pixstar there were a few red flags a) very ambiguous as to who owns the pictures b) French law and French courts ..whaaat??

2) The frame quality. Really depends on what you like.. pixstar is shiny and nixplay is matte.

3) Both frames were easy to connect to wifi and pair; nixplay did receive an update on the frame when I connected it to wifi, which is a good sign of a dedicated company

4) The web-service – none of them are close to what I would be happy with but pix-star’s is just too old, too out-dated and just not for me

5)Pix-star does come on top when you talk about the number of third party service it connects to but frankly speaking I only use dropbox, facebook and Instagram. So not that useful for me; may be very useful for someone else?

6) The display quality is where I was sold on nixplay. I don’t care about resolution, I don’t care about pixels but I do care about how my pictures look and they look far better on nixplay. Your pictures get reduced to a very bad size when you upload to pix-star; just try downloading it back and you will know.

There are a lot more little things that I can mention but nothing beats having a motion sensor on the frame; you might not realize it now but you definitely need it. Not saying pixstar's useless, but just not in the same league.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2014
This product might very well be the best on the market (I don't know). But it underdelivers with respect to the need and the possibilities.

-There does not appear to be an auto-delete feature, so grandma will be inundated with old photos if she doesn't figure out how to delete (i wouldn't say it's difficult to figure out how to delete, but if your mother is like mine you may be called repeatedly on the telephone to log into her account and delete the old ones yourself)
-The multiframe account feature is a great idea (allows you to email photos to multiple frames using one email address), but it is clunky to implement (need the passwords for all the frames) and then the option mysteriously disappears from the web site home page (i began to sign up, left to get passwords for siblings' frames, when I came back the option was advertised, but the link to sign up had disappeared).
-Clunky user interface. Multiple option menus are not straightforward. There is no touch screen, so you're entering data qwerty using toggle arrows (annoying but not a deal killer). In general the user interface has the feel of a product that was developed three years ago and not updated particularly.

In short, it's a great idea, but the product really underdelivers relative to the possibilities.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2015
There are a lot of good things here. Wifi. Connection to Flickr, Picasa etc... But I just can't get past how hard it is to use and how poor the screen is to show photos. I bought this for my parents, and they don't seem to mind. But if you eyes are still good, I'd go with something with much better pixels per inch.
on March 29, 2015
Great features, but bad image quality. The demo picture comes up with brightly saturated warm colors, and the viewing angle is great. Then my photos (which looked great on a competitor's frame, on my phone, and on my PC) are washed-out and green-looking on the pix-star. The product is simple to get photos onto, but there's no point if they look bad. Returning this product.
on December 3, 2014
I bought this frame on a lightning deal, and because of all the good reviews I was very excited to try it out. However, after viewing the first few photos that I uploaded, I was extremely disappointed. The product photos on this page make the frame look as if it displays sharp images with great contrast and color range. The real product though performs poorly. The colors were washed out with very little depth, contrast was abysmal, and overall the images were soft and fuzzy. I put the same photo on my LG G3 phone and held it up next to the frame to make sure I wasn't imaging the problem. Sure enough the image on the G3's screen was so much crisper and contrasty that there was no doubt left in my mind. This frame is not worth the money I paid and is going straight back to amazon.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2014
I purchased this and a competitors wifi frame and felt the image quality was lacking with pics tar. As the photo transitioned it was pixelated and the frame was smaller than expected.
on March 7, 2012
Just got the frame and was really excited. Became very disappointed quickly when it would not stay online, frame kept freezing,remote control froze, etc. The only way to fix the freezing was to unplug and re boot.Did this about 10 times until I finally just gave up. The company website contains no phone numbers however the email address i sent my complaint to responded almost in real time and advised me that the only fix was for them to send me a new unit.

They are sending me a new one that should be here in 4-5 days along with a return lable/postage for the return. Hopefully, i can change my 1 star rating to 4 stars soon.

Will update as soon as issue is resolved

UPDATE ****************************************************************************************************

just got the frame from DHL, opened it up , plugged it in and poof..it just works!

I have to say a word about the customer service from Arnaud, this guy literally sent me dozens of emails keeping me informed with the progress and with instructions to hook up the new frame. Once I got it going, he helped me every step of the way . Its working great, pics look great ....perfect:)

This sort of service is why I can feel very honest about changing the review to 5 stars. The first frame might have been defective, but the customer service for the replacement more than made up for it.

this was WORLD CLASS SERVICE..BEST IN MY LIFETIME

thnaks again Arnaud, for going MILES above the call of duty.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Granddaddy is so hooked on his frame that he checks every 15 minutes for new photos. He asked me to slow down it's display speed to give people time to talk about the pictures. The frame is such a draw to his room that he often has a crowd in there to see what is displaying.

I recently sent Google satellite shots of the nursing home he's in, triggering requests for shots of other places. I've also started sending very old photos such as his engagement photo. He hasn't been willing to take the long drive to my house in a couple of years but, after seeing the photos, he's ready to come.

The frame was easy to set up, easy to control from my computer, and easy to add photos to (anyone in the family can add photos). I edit my photos to 800 x 600 pixels, add text, and save as 150kb or lower. I estimate that the frame can hold about 800+ photographs of that size. Although Pixstar correctly points out that they resize the photos for you, if you add text to a photo with a different aspect ratio (i.e., you have wide angle photos), your text might get cut off.

I do wish I could rearrange the order of photos once they are uploaded.

Update: Granddaddy's not doing so well and can't talk well on the phone. We are using the frame to keep him grounded and to allow distant family members to communicate with him daily. It's a blessing.

Update: Seven months later and Granddaddy and the frame are still going strong. It provides incentive to the whole family to take and edit photos regularly and quickly. And it's easy use the Pix-star photos for screen savers on our pcs. Grandaddy has become fluent on networking and said he made the nursing home get the IT guy there to move the router (his actual words) closer to his room. He had pictures of the Nemo snowstorm coming in the day after the storm had passed Boston.

Update 7/13: Pixstar had made steady improvements to the website for managing the displayed photos. I just downloaded all of them in a zipped file to my office workstation. His frame routinely goes offline but to get it back online, he unplugs it and then plugs it back in.

Update 2/14: Haven't been able to update in a month. The photos are displaying on the Pix-star website but not downloading to the frame. I wrote twice to Pix-star asking for directions and have received no reply. I also had to go back to uploading photos via email. Not sure what is happening to their customer support.

Update 10/14: We got the frame working again so Granddaddy had it up to the end. The frame gave us all something we could do when we couldn't do anything else.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2011
I got this frame for myself, then bought a second one for my mum. When these frames are working they are amazing. I have both frames synced to Picasa accounts and it works perfectly. Sending pictures in emails directly to the frame is also very cool and works great.

The only issues I have had were :

* 2nd frame refused to go off on the timer. Instead of going off, the screen just dimmed. This had to be fixed with a hardware swap. The customer service was extremely responsive so I got a replacement pretty quickly.

* both frames have had intermittent wifi issues. The biggest of which was when the frame was moved from one house/wifi network to another. The very first time you connect to a wifi network, the connection is easy. If you then try to connect to another network things start to become difficult. I also have problems with the frame not seeing my wifi network. The only way I have been able to get around this is to change my SSID, then the frame sees the new SSID, then I change the SSID back (to what it was before), then the frame sees the network and connects fine.

I recently got a software update pushed to the frame so I am now running 2.051, instead of 1.858. This version seems to be more stable, but more time and testing will tell for sure. Now I have to work out how to update the 2nd frame, which is 7000 miles away, and is currently not able to connect to it's original wifi network.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2012
This photo frame lives up to its billing. We bought this photo frame for my Mom, who is very non-technical (does not "do the Internet thing"). We have a large family and I really wanted a way for my brothers and sisters to share photos with her. Initial setup was intuitive and easy, using the included remote control, and took less than 5 minutes. Unlike the Kodak WIFI photo frame, which I also own, NO software is installed on your computer - it's all online, and free. It took maybe another 5 minutes to navigate the website and register the frame. Within 15 minutes of opening the box I was sending photos from my phone (which is not a smartphone).

Here's how their website works: Each Photo Frame has its own unique serial number. You create an email address, type in the serial number, and after about 30 seconds or so you'll see the photo frame has displayed that email address at the bottom of the screen. Now just share that email address to family and friends and - voila! - they can use Gmail, Yahoo mail, smart phones, or dumb phones to email pictures instantly to the frame. So far (one week), the website and downloads have worked with no glitches. The website online FAQs and learning videos, however, are pretty poor.

You can also link to lots external photo-sharing services and Facebook photos, but that takes a bit more tech savvy and work. Oh: and if people get out of control, you can either whitelist or blacklist email senders. I can go online anytime and see all the pics on the frame, delete any or all pics, or directly download new ones. My Mom can do the same with her remote control. Just today I went online and saw my brother copied 5 pictures to the Frame via his USB stick.

Cosmetically, the Frame's not much to look at, with a rather unimpressive black plastic frame. The Kodak frame looks much nicer. But the brightness and contrast, color and viewing angle are all Good, in my opinion. It won't display video. You can also stream internet radio, display the current weather, the current date and time and do other silly things which come under the heading of "Look What I Can Do".

Confession: I am an IT professional, so maybe it was a bit easier for me. BUT: I know well-designed, user-friendly software, and it's part of my job to choose, purchase and deploy software that non-technical people will actually use. The PIX-Star people did a good job with this.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...