SpongeBob SquarePants 1 Season 1999
1. Help Wanted It's hard to believe that when we started work on this maybe a dozen people knew what a "SpongeBob" was. I fell in love with the characters and drawings at first sight.
2. Valentine's Day The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to Incredible Hulk?like rage. Bill Faggerbakke really came into his own in this one.
3. Toy Store Of Doom I love when hilarity and disturbing creepiness mingle. This one is like an episode of "Night Gallery" starring SpongeBob and Patrick, directed by Rob Zombie!
4. The Camping Episode I always laugh even though I know the sea bear attacks are coming. By the way, SpongeBob singing the ever-accelerating verses of "The Campfire SONG Song" is NOT artificially sped up. (People always ask about that!)
5. The Idiot Box SpongeBob and Patrick turn an empty box into a fantasy play land using only their ?imaginaaations. Since Squidward lacks any imagination, he resents anyone who does! The ultra-dramatic and over-the-top action movie fantasy scenarios are really funny
6. Slide Whistle Stooges SpongeBob and Patrick drive Squidward nuts with their new slide whistles. I'm a sucker for any episode where a tiny thing gets on Squid's nerves until he snaps. (Roger Bumpass is great at vocalizing Squidward's losing it.)
7. Hooky SpongeBob and Pat as "rebels without a cause" (or a brain), riding fishermen's hooks and jumping off just before being yanked ashore. This episode inspired the song "Riding the Hook" on "The Best Day Ever" CD, with legendary punk rocker Tommy Ramone.
8. Frankendoodle SpongeBob creates an evil doodle of himself with a magic pencil he finds. I actually feel sorry for the "monster" when he has to be erased. Another semi-creepy one! Producer Paul Tibbett does Frankendoodle's voice.
9. Band Geeks Squid tries to "inspire" Bikini Bottom's doofy denizens into being a tight marching band - but it's like herding kittens. "Sweet Victory" is like the worst Night Ranger - type power ballad in history. I love Squidward's freeze-frame at the end, too.
10. The Graveyard Shift "Night, night, night, night." Having Nosferatu, the vampire from the 1922 silent German Expressionist horror film appear in a Nicktoon is exactly the kind of "what the"? moment that sets this series apart from more conventional animated shows!
11. The Best Day Ever I dare you to have a lousy day while singing that song! Pure pop bubblegum!
12. Chocolate With Nuts A very sick episode, masterminded by the underground cartoonist KAZ. You can spend hours theorizing about what these eleven minutes says about truth, lies, Big Business, entrepreneurship, and consumerism.
13. Single Cell Anniversary Kind of obscure, but one of the few episodes to focus on the "Honeymooners-like" marriage of Plankton and Karen. (Just a microorganism and his computer wife tryin? to get by.)
14. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy VI - The Motion Picture When SpongeBob's heroes are considered too "old" to portray themselves in a Hollywood-type movie, he decides to make his own. As a comic book fan, I've sat through horrible movies based on classic comics, wishing I could do it right!
15. Krusty Krab Training Video ?P.O.O.P. ? People Order Our Patties. Need I say more? That word being said repeatedly makes me laugh. Boy, am I mature, or what? A clever, outside-the-box episode.
16. Sailor Mouth This was also one of the silliest recording sessions ever. We had to come up with fake "cuss words" to stick in the dialogue to be "bleeped out" later. I was laughing so hard, they recorded me while I lay on the floor of the sound booth.
17. Tea at the Treedome This one introduced Sandy (Carolyn Lawrence). Nick Jennings, painting of crusty, dried out SpongeBob is classic. Also, Patrick's exhorting SpongeBob to keep his "pinky up," oblivious to the fact that SpongeBob is freaking out.
18. Squirrel Jokes I started out as a stand up comedian, so it was fun to perform as the kind of schlockmeister I strove not to be. Stand ups are always fighting between doing more original material or repeating what works.
19. The Card As a collector of weird old stuff - records, comic strips, anything Popeye -I like how this episode gets into the fanatical mindset of hardcore collectors. The desire to possess that "certain item" can take over the mind.
20. Pizza Delivery The classic setup: SpongeBob and Squidward lost in the desert while delivering a pizza to a customer's home. Squidward just wants to get out of there, but SpongeBob sees his pizza delivery as a sacred oath between himself and the customer.
|Genres||Fantasy, Comedy, Kids & Family|
|Starring||Tom Kenny, Rodger Bumpass|
|Supporting actors||Bill Fagerbakke, Clancy Brown, Mr. Lawrence, Sirena Irwin|
|Producers||Donna Castricone, Stephen Hillenburg|
|Purchase rights||Stream instantly and download to 2 locations Details|
|Format||Amazon Video (streaming online video and digital download)|