5.0 out of 5 stars Good way to start
I got this for my soon to be 2 year old son. He likes watching his big brother ride his bike, but hasn't been able to join in. The packaging was confusing. It came in a humongous box with another box inside with which held the bike. Seemed like a big waste to me.

Published on November 26, 2011 by A. Looby

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for 2 year old, not for 4 year old
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:25 Mins
We have 3 kids (7, 4, and 2) who absolutely love their plasma cars. We were excited to receive this since it's made by the same company.

Our just turned 2 year old was able to get on it and ride without any worry about falling over. It barely makes him balance at all and the wheels do not allow him to go very fast.

While...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for 2 year old, not for 4 year old, December 15, 2011
Length:: 0:25 Mins

While this is primarily for my 2 year old, we thought it would be useful for our 4 year old daughter who is well under the weight requirement. She has had a difficult time transitioning from training wheels on her bike and we hoped this would give her the confidence she needed to make the transition. Unfortunately her legs are too long and the wheels are so wide that balancing is not an issue. There is no way to adjust the height of this bike.

Unfortunately, both kids prefer their plasma cars and rarely play with this.

The quality is also not as good as the plasma car.

If you are looking to buy something fun to ride, I would highly recommend the plasma car.
If you are looking to give your child confidence with balancing a two-wheeled bike, I would recommend a balance bike with thinner wheels.

NOTE: I put a video up of my 2 year old to show it in action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good way to start, November 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

As for the bike itself, my 2 year old really likes it. He kinda scoots around on it as best he can. We're only using it indoors right now since we don't have a helmet and I just don't trust the balance of this outside on concrete. He has fallen over a few times, but I'm not sure if that has been him or the bike. Most likely him. The wheels are pretty wide and seem stable.

I do appreciate that I didn't have to try to put this together. It came assembled. The little horn on it is kinda ridiculous. It just kinda squeaks at you. It's lightweight enough that my 2 year old can carry it around, but sturdy enough that the 5 year old can push him from behind and it stays (mostly) upright.

After almost a week with it, he's doing good. It took a few times of showing him how to get on it. At first he wanted to climb on from the back. He's got it down now. Now we're working on how to steer. It took a few times for him to understand how to walk his feet to get moving, but this is a trainer bike after all and I guess that means it's doing what it's supposed to do.

UPDATE: He's flying up and down the hall on it now. I don't think it's going to be hard at all to transition to a regular bike. I'm not sure he's going to want to! He rides this daily. He's steering well and going in circles and just having a great time. I absolutely love this and am increasing my stars on it.

UPDATE: One month later and he's still riding it daily...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smashing Success!, July 11, 2011
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plasma Bike Red (Toy)
I just gave the bike to my son and he is just going nuts about it. The bike is stable, easy to scoot, and overall, fun. This is definitely a homerun once again for PlaSmart. It has an attractive design and I love the inherent safety.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the best balance bike for toddler ~ 2yrs old, January 17, 2012
This review is from: PlaSmart PlasmaBike (Misc.)
Why you want to get a balance bike?
With a balance bike, kids can learns to balance on their own right from the start. Unlike a normal pedal bicycle fitted with training wheels, the riders learns balance first, pedal last. This makes transition to pedal bicycle much easier for most kids.

Another benefits of using a balance bike is the developmental benefits that it provides to toddlers. Study have shown toddlers who use a balance bike for 20-30 minutes twice a week showed the following improvements:

- Substantial improvements in both static and dynamic balance.
- Substantial improvements in bilateral coordination.
- Observable improvements in physical self-confidence.

What are the choice?
I was aware of the developmental benefit of using balance bike for a while but I waited on my purchase until I think my son can manage a balance bike and enjoy riding it. I started looking for a balance bike for my son as he turn 18 months.
The first balance bike I had in mind was the YBIKE Balance Bike. I know about it when I did my research about balance bike ~ a year ago. The YBIKE Balance Bike got good review and look like a very good product. When I am about to make my balance bike purchse, I found this Plasmabike, the new balance bike from the company who brought us the plasma car. In the end, I decided to go with the plasmabike.

Why I picked the Plasmabike?
The PlasmaBike is a balance bike that designed for young toddlers. I found the new PlasmaBike very kid friendly and is more suitable for young toddlers than other balance bike in the market.

Pro:
* Rounded edges
* Large wide wheels
* Limited steering range helps kids turn the bike without the chance of over steer and fall
* Handle bar is positioned much higher than the seat for better riding posture
* Feets won't get caught in the wheels easily, especially for the front wheel.
* Less expensive than similar product

Con:
* Non-adjustable seat height
* Non-adjustable handle bar height
(Note: Most young toddler balance bike (with wide wheels) are not adjustable.)

According to a user video review I found on the internet, the Plasmabike may not be suitable for kids shorter than 33 inches to ride on their own. The video review also has dimension and other information about the Plasmabike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big thumbs up - what a GREAT toy, November 24, 2011
sb-lynn (Santa Barbara, California United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bike is incredibly sturdy, and to give you an example I will tell you about how it arrived. I don't know if there was a problem with the shipper, but the bike came in a very large box that was falling apart. It was obvious the side had been retaped, and and there was absolutely no packing material in the box - the bike was just placed in there and had been rolling around as it was transported. Nonetheless, when we took it out of the box it was just fine - not a scratch or dent and it's obvious that this is one resilient toy.

Another big plus for me was that there is nothing to put together - literally just lift it out of the box and it's ready to go.

It's really an attractive toy and the colors and style are just fantastic.

So what did a 21 month old rough and tumble little boy think about it? He loved it. My nephew ran right over to it and got right on top. It is so stable and solidly built that he was able to stay on top of it and race around the room. It was a smashing success, and I cannot recommend this product enough.

5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter balance bike, but doent require much balance, December 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is like a balance bike to get kids ready for a real balance bike. My 3 1/2 year old daughter enjoyed running it around our finished basement. The tires are so wide that the bike stays up all by itself. Not much balance is needed at all. It does get the kids used to kicking to push forward and steering.

My daughter likes it, but it is really mostly an indoor toy. The wheels are plastic and there is no brake (other than your feet).

It arrived in a box fully assembled requiring nothing for me to do but remove one tag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a good idea ..., March 25, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm sure there are many parents that have purchased this an absolutely love it. My experience with this is different. I tested this out with a 2 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 year old. I thought this would be a good training tool that I would see the kids scooting around the house on, but not the case. Not even close.

1. The 2 yr old sat on it, stared at it and pushed it but didn't move very far at all. Bored within five minutes and never rode it again. I purposely kept it out in the open for over two months and was curious as to why the thing had absolutely no appeal.

2. The 3 yr old sat on it a few times as a seat in front of the television. Didn't like it either as it was apparently too slow. "Why doesn't it go?" Used it on the carpeted areas to generate static shock though.

3. The 4 yr old -- forget it.

I took the bike outside several times and even once to the park, same effect. No dice.

My suggestion is that this toy bike should be more free moving and have more "travel." My 4 yr old and his 7 yr old cousin are obsessed with those razor scooters which give me a heart attack every time I see them, but when you push them they are a bit more free-floating because of the ball-bearings and soft rubber wheels. This toy would benefit with a bit more fun factor as this is just plastic on plastic on cement/floor/tile/whatever.

Too much plastic friction and not enough go. Lots of static electricity shock to boot when it was used in the house and traveled across carpeted areas. Honestly, the static shock part might have been the most fun.

We also have several of those plasma cars and they're always being used in races. THAT is a great product. This ... needs to be rethought.

...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for toddlers, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Plasma Bike Red (Toy)
We bought this for our 2 year old grandson. Weren't sure if he would know how to work it. He got on and off he went. He loves it. This is a great starter bike for young children. Very sturdy and they don't have to worry about balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy toy for active kids., November 17, 2011
This review is from: Plasma Bike Black (Toy)
We introduced a set of 1 1/2 year-old twin boys to the toy and they immediately were able to maintain balance and scoot the toy about the room without any encouragement or trouble at all - a good inside-the-house toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, November 22, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The picture of this little bike looked kind of cute, and my older children somewhat enjoy their PlasmaCar, so I was shocked when this arrived. It looks incredibly cheap...cheap, dull plastic, little bits of uncut plastic curls around the seams, a "horn" that sticks and only occasionally makes a pitiful squeak. It is completely unadjustable, and very small, so the age range of this is really small. My 2 1/2 year old got bored after about 2 minutes. There's no challenge, it doesn't go fast or move well, and it was a little small for her (she's not a big girl, either).

It's absolutely ridiculous to imagine a child up to 55 lbs getting any entertainment value out of this. I guess if your 8 year old steps on it it won't break, but don't imagine it would provide years of entertainment. It says 18 months and up, and by 30 months my daughter was already too old for it, so that's a really limited amount of fun time, assuming you get any at all.

Really, this doesn't even deserve the name of "balance bike," which implies at least some physical challenge and educational benefit. The far, far superior Skuut Wooden Balance Bike does just this, and truly teaches the kind of balance a child needs for bike riding down to young toddlers. The PlasmaBike claims that this is somehow better because if the child stops the bike will not fall over, but with a true balance bike, the child is essentially standing while straddling the bike, and the bike is held up by the child.

Really, if your child is 2 or up, do yourself a favor and get a Skuut bike instead of this one. My 5 year old loved his Skuut up until the moment he was able to transition straight to bikes with no training wheels from the Skuut training. If your child is under 2, something like the Radio Flyer Scoot-About is so much more beautiful and fun for the child than this ugly PlasmaBike.

Totally not recommended.