4.0 out of 5 stars Owning It Is About Honesty
Published on March 22, 2011 by prisrob

3.0 out of 5 stars The Word "Truth" Was Used So Many Times It Lost Me
Published on April 7, 2011 by Joanne JoJo

4.0 out of 5 stars Owning It Is About Honesty, March 22, 2011
This review is from: A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life (Hardcover)
Like most of you I know Bethenny Frankel first from the 'Housewives of New York' television show, and then her own show, 'Bethenny Getting Married' and now 'Bethenny Ever After'. This new year of Bethenny's show I felt like we were finally getting to know the real Bethenny. She was sharing her life, but also sharing a lot more of her feelings, and letting us in to those places we often keep private. I was surprised how much I liked this book. In this book Bethenny has given us a very entertaining, informative and fun book. She exposes herself, and her family to all of us with some real lessons learned.

Bethenny has framed her book and chapters with 10 rules that she shares for a happier and more productive life. She incorporates each chapter with a 'Quote to Remember' that are quite inspirational and some are downright funny. One of the most important aspects of this book is when she starts talking about 'noise'.' She says,
'Noise is what gets in your way. It's a self generated obstacle, the negative talk inside your head that keeps you down.' Each chapter contains examples of noise that has hindered Bethenny's life in some manner, and a method to over come the noise. Her advice is excellent and every single rule comes with stories on how Bethenny has met her devils and overcome them. She gets very personal about her life with her parents and the difficult childhood. Her problems with her mother and father, and the relationships that changed her life. She had gone from relationship to relationship to feel complete. She tells us her stories of her engagements, her first marriage and how she came to find real love with her husband, Jason, their baby, Bryn and Cookie, their dog. Bethenny relates her experiences out on her own, how she failed and found success with business and the entertainment world. She goes into detail about her time on Martha Stewart's Apprentice Show. The lessons learned and the personalities she met. She discusses how she came to be on 'Housewives of New York' and what that experience was really like. And, then she talks very openly about her marriage to Jason, and the obstacles they met. Her marriage, the birth of Bryn and now the life she has always wanted. She talks about not always being happy, and that 50% of the time she may feel crappy, but has a method to overcome her negativity. Bethenny talks about her new adventures and business that she is initiating- what we have to look forward to. Bethenny is a busy gal, but a happy one. I found this book quite illuminating, with lessons learned, and the humorous and sad parts of life that we all know so well. We can relate to Bethenny and she relates to us.

The writing is superb. It is a very well constructed book. The introduction and chapters follow each other well.
The book holds our attention. Wonderful, open feelings are shared. Intimate stories of Bethenny's life are explored. No kiss and tell, except for her own life and loves. I have a new appreciation for Bethenny. She has built a life for herself, and her family that is based on honesty and owning her feelings, owning her mistakes and owning what is important to her. When you make a mistake, suck it up and move on. Bethenny tells us we can make our lives Heaven or we can make it Hell, by our actions. She tells us to take what we want from her book, apply it our lives and move on.

Highly Recommended,. prisrob 03-22-11

Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting

A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty that is refreshing and funny, March 22, 2011
I ordered this book TODAY for my Kindle. I'm home with the flu and needed a little pick me up. I read fast and I tore through this. I have been a fan of Bethenny's since her appearance on the Martha Stewart version of The Apprentice. What I appreciate so much about her is her unfailing honesty and humor. She says it all, good or bad, appropriate or wildly inappropriate, it's out there. It's real. It's who she is. This is rare in the reality universe. She can make fun of herself and not apologize for not being perfect. I think the "rules" Bethenny lives by are easily applied to any life b/c they are all about common sense, being honest with yourself and never letting anyone else take your power from you. She never tries to say she's perfect or a prophet or THE example of how to live. She's just telling her story, what worked for her and giving encouragement to those who are looking for a path to THEIR place of yes! Her path isn't everybody else's, but it's good to know what works for others.

More than anything else, I appreciate the messy, emotional, warts and all honesty that Bethenny embraces. Life is a bumpy ride but we never know where we will end up. I applaud her bravery and I'm thrilled for her success in business and with her family. Bryn is a precious bundle that showed up at just the right time. Bethenny is clearly at a place where being a mother and a wife is a blessing.

This is a very funny, entertaining and interesting read. Bethenny fans will love it, and those who haven't been fans in the past will be fans once they read this book.

Bravo Bethenny!! Well done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real wisdom...based in REALITY, May 6, 2011
Even if you are not looking for guidance, or "self-help", this book is inspiring, touching, and motivating. Bethenny's witty personality shines through in her writing and this makes A Place of Yes, more than just a self help book - it is a story of a woman who has overcome a slew of obstacles in her life to create the amazing life she lives now. To overcome the things she has been through and be the amazingly successful entrepreneur that she is today is nothing short of amazing. Her personal anecdotes and how they relate to each "rule", make this book a worthwhile read for anyone. I guess I would say it is somewhat of a memoir wrapped up in self help book. Unless you dislike Bethenny, you will like this book.

Personally, I have tried more than one self help book (many of the very popular ones) and could not get through a single one in completion because I found them difficult to relate to and maybe a little too spiritual for my personal taste - to each their own, everyone is different. Unlike most "self help" books, A Place of Yes is an easy read and doesn't make you feel pressured to make positive changes IMMEDIATELY or you will never have a good life, or live in the now and forget about your past and never worry about your future, or anything like that, things I personally found as unrealistic. This book is based in reality and whether you choose to "follow the rules" or not, you will be inspired in some way, shape, or form.

Again, everyone is different. Some people may be looking for spiritual guidance through self help books, and others may just be looking for inspiration. What we all have in common is that we are searching for some form of guidance. In writing A Place of Yes, Bethenny shares her own story, the incredible struggles she endured as a child, how those struggles have affected her throughout her life, the mistakes she has made along the way, what she has learned from each mistake, and how learning to come from a place of yes has helped her get to where she is today. She relates her personal stories to each "rule" and, in doing so, truly demonstrates how each rule can be applied to our own lives and help us overcome our own personal obstacles - past, present, and future.

I have personally found this book immensely helpful as I am going through a particularly tough time in my life. Bethenny's words have inspired me and motivated me even in my darkest hours, to see that things can and will get better. Reading A Place of Yes as I continue with my own personal journey has definitely helped me regain a sense of empowerment and strength that I thought I had lost.

Whether you are a Bethenny Frankel fan already, or you have no idea who she is, if you are looking for a good read (that just happens to be a self help(ful) book as well), you will not be wasting your time (or money) on this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, March 30, 2011
As a "Mompreneur" I was very interested in Bethenny's business experience and her ability to create a brand. For the record, I only know her through magazine coverage. I don't watch much TV, so don't know her personality "in action."

What I found in this book was a very realistic view into success. You have to deal with your emotional baggage, have great business sense, and have the tenacity to get it into action. People who are ultimately successful usually have more strike outs than home runs, but they keep working at it an never give up. Bethenny shares her strike outs, her successes and shows how they are related with a sense of humor. This book is written in a way that makes it very relatable. I connect with personal stories and Bethenny does a good job of sharing hers (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and how they all ultimately contributed to her success. It banishes the notion that all you have to have is a good idea and it will organically grow into a successful business. Anyone who tries to tell you this may as well be selling crack pipes. Bethenny tells it like it is.

I did feel like this book was reverse engineered. It felt like it was solely intended to tell her story and then they just made up the ten rules to give it structure and make the reader feel like they were getting insight to
apply to their own lives. I think her story can stand on its own feet and didn't need "the ten rules" element. I also spotted a few editing problems.

Overall, a very worthwhile read if you are interested in entrepreneurship and its real life ups and downs. I appreciate Bethenny's willingness to share all of it. She's a great example of what you can accomplish if you persevere and believe in yourself. Good qualities whether you are interested in business or not. Cheers Bethenny!

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Place of Yes" Could Help Change Your Life, March 29, 2011
Having read Bethenny's two previous books and really benefitted from them, I was really looking forward to this one. "A Place of Yes" did not disappoint. Some of us need a reminder that we're not crazy or strange, and in this book Bethenny does that and more. She's the the girlfriend you most identify with, the sister you wish you had. If you grew up in a stable household and are still happily married to your high school boyfriend, this might not the book for you. But if your family is nuts (like mine), or you've ever felt lost or you want more out of life, Bethenny's honesty in telling her own story rubs off on you and you can't help but feel better knowing that someone just like you has picked herself up again and again (and vows to do so for the rest of her life) and is glad she did. I use suggestions from this book and her others every day (I lost 40 pounds after I read "Naturally Thin" and have kept it off for more than a year). I think back to her words often, especially when I need that push to accomplish a goal or stay on track. She's changed my life. Give her a chance, maybe she'll change yours. Also take a look at:

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't wait for this book to get published, March 22, 2011
In the words of Aristotle, "wit is educated insolence." Bethenny Frankel is educated insolence, snappy dresser and all-around cool, self-aware chick. I admire her chutzpah and her honesty both with herself and others. The same reason I bought her workout dvd and Bethenny Ever After is the reason I am already halfway through this book the day it came out, and enjoying it immensely--she cuts to the chase, and tells it as she sees it. I wish her limitless success with this book and all of her endeavors as she is a wonderful role model for anyone who wants to create their own happiness and realize their dreams.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Word "Truth" Was Used So Many Times It Lost Me, April 7, 2011
Joanne JoJo (Flint, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This book is perfect for someone reading a book like this for the first time. But if you have read other success or leadership books you have heard this all before. I skipped the first portion about her childhood. I heard it already on the show. The word "truth" is used so many times it became cliche. I mean, like 20 times per page, it was starting to scare me. Do I know what truth means? Is this another truth she is speaking of? It just negated what truth was. Truth! There it is again. Aggh. It made what she was saying seem frivolous. Whoever edited this should have used a thesaurus. You can tell the parts that Bethenny wrote and what the other writer did. Some parts of B's personality comes up and that lifts the book. It makes it more interesting as far as words and expression. But the points about acting on it, working hard, yada yada have all been done before and better.

Bethenny had to do this book.

You can tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, April 26, 2011
First off, I cannot believe the negative reviews of this book. It is probably the best self help book I have ever read! Bethenny is so inspiring in A Place of Yes and she makes the reader feel even more comfortable in their own skin. I am a huge fan of Bethenny, I watch her shows, read her books and of course drink Skinnygirl Margaritas! Overall Bethenny is very down to earth and writes from her heart. She truly cares about others and doing what she can to show her fans how much we mean to her. This book is so motivational that I want to purchase the audiobook as well so that from time to time I can listen to her inspiring messages and stories to make me feel more positive and driven. I am 28, a newlywed, living in a small apartment in a small town working at a job I am not passionate about. I am very creative and am truly a city dweller but my husband loves his teaching job here and our family is here. I used to live in NYC and very much feel I need a city to develop my talents.
Bethenny through A Place of Yes has given me the tools to get through and push forward and to appreciate what I have now even though it's not where I had pictured I would be or where I would believe a "normal"woman at my age would be at this time. She discusses "normal noise" as well as other noise in the book. Overall this book is worth every single penny you pay for it! Can't wait for her next release!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fail!, February 28, 2013
They should rename this book to be: "A Place of Narcissicm".

Like, could this chick talk any more about herself? I thought this was going to be a book about how to practically, in every day situations, come from a positive place. Instead it's Bethenny whining about her trials and tribulations but lo and behold, things turned out alright because she came from "a place of yes". See what I just did there? At least give examples of people other than you along with your problems. The only reason I can assume most people would be buying this book is because they're already fans, therefore, we're quite familiar with your background. There's no need to re-hash it ad nauseum in an entire book under the guise of trying to help us out.

I'm disappointed in this book a) because I actually like Bethenny Frankel and look up to her in terms of her frankness and business savvy and b) because it's misleading.

Try at your own risk. There's a reason I was able to obtain this book for only $2 used. The shipping cost more than the book itself. Think about that one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Life doesn't always say yes, May 19, 2011
At the risk of sounding like a negative person, which I'm not at all, I don't believe many people get everything they want or end up where they thought they'd be when life was new.

The older we get, the more we come to understand and accept that harsh fact. And, what's so great about knowing that, is the fact it liberates us. It sets us free to be happy where we are with who we are. The angst of struggle, strife and failure are behind us and we can feel good about who we are and where we are. It's a good place.

The author says, "Fear, doubt, and defaulting to no are the reasons why so few people end up where they really want to be. Life is easier when you settle for less than you dreams, but 'good enough' is not good enough for me."

Now, many of us feel that way early in life. And it's wonderful to set high goals and try awfully hard to achieve them and to accomplish as much as possible. But we need to be realistic too.

Many young girls want to be movie stars or famous writers. However, even really good actors never get the gig. Not all good writers get the Pulitzer.

The author admits her life is "just getting started." She continues, "This is just my story so far, coupled with my advice to you, because while my life isn't over yet, I've come a long way, and I've learned a lot, and I hope to inspire you and help save you from some of the mistakes I've made in the past."

There's no doubt that anyone can pull himself up by his bootstraps and be a better, happier, more fulfilled person. We don't need to, nor should we, accept defeat. Life should be fun. And yet, life brings hardships and unhappiness and loss. A mature person will accept what he can't change and change what he can. This is where I break apart from the feel-good self-help authors.

The author says this is an "It-will-happen-because-you'll-make-it-happen" kind of a book. I don't buy into that philosophy from the vantage point of age. But I do, very firmly know that you can indeed make an awfully lot happen and that if you don't dig your feet in and start working at it, it will never happen.

I agree with the author that you should not accept being in a bad place if there's a way out.

For that reason, I recommend this book. It's especially a good book for young people. Developing a positive can-do attitude is one of the best things you can do. A person must feel empowered and in control of at least a part of his own life.

For example, if you're obese, you need to know that you have what it takes to get to a normal weight. If you're poor, you need to know you have the skills or the way within your grasp to pull yourself out of that bad place.

This book is a good place to start.

Recommended.