‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and bizarre the perfect combo, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
Placenta of Love is one I requested my local library buy and have on the shelf yay Dallas library you rock! I got to read it and while not all most bizarro any that I am familiar with anyway tends to be novella length so a pretty quick read. I am frequently amazed how much story can be packed into that novella length.

Spike takes the typical sweet love story and takes it on a head on collision with bizarro so while there is love it is between a sentient robot pirate and a placenta. Ahhh yes the magic of loooove. What you say a placenta can't love? Ha! Shows what you know see Captain Carl the robo-pirate was given artificial intelligence by his creator who in turn taught him how to create artificial intelligence sadly Carl embeds that braingina chip into a placenta and all hell breaks loose or in the case of Venusian life the giant lady part hits the merry go round. Ah yes did I not mention that Placenta of Love is set on Venus the biggest most giant amazing theme park in the universe? Well it is and it has a cotton candy atmosphere talk about a sugar high!

So here we are on Venus ( shut up it's birarro this is totally normal ) and Carl the robo pirate has made himself Helen his lady love or at least she's part lady I mean she is a placenta. So what is Helen's natural instinct as a placenta but to breed like a bunny of course and breed she does holy cow does she ever. She starts consuming everything including rides and turning all she puts up in her business into lot's of little placenta. What is Captain Carl to do to stop his lady loves trail of destruction? Well with the help of the Pope of The Church of Transubstantial Birth Fear and a cat Jiji who loves spankies and really who doesn't in particular with Carl's orange dildo finger, they are sure to save the day. Surely .... hopefully ... they should, okay just read the book it's funny and I loved Jiji the spankies obsessed cat the best. I hope Spike writes another book featuring Jiji, perhaps Jiji in a different time and planet to get in on more spankies adventures. That would rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robo-Pirates and LOVE!, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Kindle Edition)
1ST!!! Holy crap this was a hell of a read! Very worth it if you like Bizarro Fiction. The undertones of the humor in a story that questions life, love, and even the purpose of religion in a small Novella. It touches even in the future we are gluttons for finding ecstasy. But that's with the whole study of the book stuff that we need to save for a college class.

Honestly on with the normal everyday review for the rest of us not wanting to analyze a book because it's for a grade. I went into this with the expectations that the book description gave me and I was not prepared for the detailed descriptions of the world. If you have been to an amusement park, the Author seriously takes those experiences and makes this world real. Anyone who has been searching for self and love understand the main character, the Author makes Carl recognizable. We all have that awkward friend like Jiji. Useful for information but always wants something weird from us. SPANKIES!!! I like how the overall story is definitely done in some way before, anymore it's rare to not find a story like that, BUT!, the Author makes it done in such a way that you aren't sure what will happen for sure until it's finished. I feel this is fresh and new compared to much of what I have read lately. The events and possibilities are imaginative, creative, and universal. Must read more from Spike Marlowe!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ji Ji won my heart, November 22, 2012
Tiffany Scandal (Portland. Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
The novella reads out a lot like a dream. With vividly colorful landscapes, robots, pirates (robo-pirates FTW!), a black cat who loves to be spanked -- this contains many elements that, although can stand well on their own, are pieced together so beautifully to create this story. While the relationship between Carl the Captain and Helen the AI chip later-turned placenta won over the hearts of many (just judging by the previous comments), I would have to say the evolution of Carl the Captain was by far my favorite aspect of this story. Carl started out as just a robo-pirate manning a neglected ride, but you quickly learn that he yearns for more. When his maker dies, Carl latches onto the next "living" thing that will speak him as something more than just a robot - a cat named Ji Ji. However, because Ji Ji is a total power bottom and requires the spankings of many, Carl forms a relationship with Helen the AI chip. When Helen "goes bad," Carl is devastated, but finds it within himself to become the pirate that he was always meant to be. Seeing him evolve as a character is so moving and exciting, and so often, I found myself wanting to yell, 'go, Carl!" In many respects, Carl's character reminds me of Edward Scissorhands... only a robot pirate with a borrowed vibrator finger.

This book is amazing. I happily recommend it to anyone interested in bizarro fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange and great!, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
I'm determined to read all of this year's New Bizarro books and I've got to say that of the ones that I've read so far, this is the one that has struck the best chord with me. And certainly this is the book that seems determined to put the 'weird' in weird fiction. Hits the perfect harmony between comedy and genuine emotion, Placenta of Love is a really great read. You should definitely read it. You already know from reading the description that it's about a theme park robot falling in love with a giant sentient placenta; the book way may be extremely strange, but it's really, really smart about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some kind of arousing fever dream, March 4, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
With such a zany premise, one might be taken off guard by "Placenta of Love's" soft, dreamlike delivery and sexual undertone. And frankly, it is kind of a sexy book. No, not hands-down-your-pants-while-reading sexy (at least not for me), but I have to give Spike Marlowe credit. The romance between Captain Carl and Helen the Placenta is very tender and real; I found myself growing increasingly concerned that things would not work out well for them in the end. It's a short read, as all books under the New Bizarro Author Series umbrella are, but it's a rewarding one and an exciting introduction to a new voice in bizarro. I wish you luck, miss Marlowe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Placenta of awesome!, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Kindle Edition)
I think the New Bizarro Author Series is great, I read a few of last years and enjoyed each one. Now I've got a few new authors to follow and I look forward to their future projects. When the time came and they announced the new crop of NBAS at Bizarro-con last year I got excited again. My plan is read all eight of their books this year. So far I've read one and it was Placenta of Love, and it was excellent.
Set on the amusement park planet Venus we are introduced to Captain Carl, a Robo whose creator gave him intelligence and taught him how to create. He uses his abilities to create himself a companion, Helen, who he promises to find a beautiful body for. He does this with a stolen Placenta, and once Helen has her body she wants more than anything to make a baby with Carl. And then the book gets crazy, but in a super awesome way.
One of the really cool things about this book is that through-out the story Spike Marlow tells about the different rides offered on Venus. She uses a different ride to open each chapter, a particular favorite of mine being The Carousal of Children where "Parents usually return to pick up their beloved offspring bearing candy apples and neon-colored popcorn balls, but if they fail to appear, the Carousel of Children also serves as The Venusian Center for New Employees."
Overall this is a love story, it's twisted and bizarre, but it's a story about the love of two A.I. beings. It's really well written, the characters are real and believable. It's an intelligent book and I look forward to whatever Spike Marlow puts out next, she is a writer to keep an eye out for.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're Innocent When You Dream, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
The music of calliopes. The smell of cotton candy on the air. Sweet mad science and innocent perversion. Cabarets and pirates and love gone bad. This book is an odd one. Simultaneously very sensual and very cerebral, full of Douglas Adams' humor and Hal Ashby's Harold and Maude era heart. As I gave this book a reread so my review would do it justice, I listened to Tom Waits' album Frank's Wild Years. The carnival piracy, the meditation on dreams and the bittersweet past mixed well with this Fellini referencing story of a robot pirate who makes himself a lover, an AI infused placenta that threatens to destroy the bizarre amusement park planet of Venus. Love is a carnival where things go wrong sometimes, where perversity, strangeness, jealousy and the persistence of memory change the world and your experience of it. This book captures love in so many ways, it's so many things. So much poetry and loveliness, so many moments where it verges on perfection. Fellini and Jean Jeunet, 2001 and Harold and Maude and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and Pablo Neruda, it touches on so much. One of my favorite Bizarro books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story with a... twist (of gore), January 26, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
Spike Marlowe's tale is essentially a love story set on a backdrop of dripping viscera and gore. Her prose is tight, her characters are brilliantly formed, and her ideas are truly original.

Placenta of Love is a strange kind of Disneyland theme park adventure coupled with a savage Pirates of the Caribbean storyline that also relies heavily on a whacked-out monster theme... with a love story thrown in for good measure. Well... not for good measure. This is, for all intents and purposes, a very twisted love story, albeit a very strange one. Very strange.

Marlowe doesn't just go for wicked weird, though. She goes for emotional, dark, violent, gory... she goes for everything in this wild ride through crazy town and pulls it off brilliantly.

I loved this book and can'tw ait to see what the author has lined up next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very worth a read, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
This book is very well written. The characters are engaging and described in excellent detail, as are the locations. The story itself moves along at a nice pace, and is adequately bizarre... even fun at times. I found this book to be an excellent introduction to the genre and look forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarro with Heart, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Placenta of Love (Paperback)
I admit that I'm a sucker for a moving Bizarro love story and "Placenta of Love" definitely fits the bill. A Robo Pirate named Captain Carl creates for himself the perfect woman and the events that follow are hilarious, strange, violent and heartbreaking. There's also a Robo Cat that enjoys a bit of slap-and-tickle from time to time. This is a great debut novella from a new Bizarro author and I'm looking forward to more of her work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Placenta of Love
Placenta of Love by Spike Marlowe (Paperback - October 22, 2011)
$9.95