‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read For Anyone Getting Into The Music Business!, March 15, 2010
A. Stancato "Abbie" (Indianapolis Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition (Hardcover)
I rarely offer feedback on a book. However, this is truly a great read. I began as a singer, musician in the early eighties. I have learned much of the business via osmosis, some of it incorrect. This book is deep. If you are new to the business or a veteran trying to REALLY learn the industry, plan on reading this book more than once. The chapters require a good understand of previous chapters to absorb and benefit the material. I discovered great insight for the least amount of investment I have ever spent in the music business.

Abbie Stancato

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Worth Its Weight in Platinum, October 1, 2010
I as a baby-boomer who has had made music an important part of my life "The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition" has enabled me to feel better about not having accomplished a significant success in the music business, and in the process lost the best of my intellectual property. My life as a singer songwriter began in the early sixties having been inspired by the folk music revival and the explosion of many popular music genres that permeated our culture. My bio would mirror the historical patterns quite well: I performed in groups and solo in folk, rock, jazz and country through the years. My best opportunity appeared around 1965 when the manager of a now successful artist wanted to record one of my songs after listening to it on a stoop on MacDougal Street: I asked the artist should I trust him and his response was nebulous so I didn't go to the recording studio. Until I read The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition I regretted that one, and similar decisions that I had made.

A 1A draft status, tech school, enlisting in the Army later anyway, a rocky marriage conspired to altered my path relegating my passion to write songs to a back burner. Through the years I continued to accumulate songs and even attempted to do something with them from time to time, but, an inner paranoia always kept me protective of "my stuff". After college and a second attempt at family life I thought I had learned enough to become my own publisher and record label owner: and this seemed to finally get me heading in the right direction -- another big BUT however -- I spent more on equipment, professionals and such that I found it difficult to see black ink and then I had a son born with a serious heart defect.

I chose to attend to family matters for the next 25 years -- family became the priority.

Now in my sixties I have been re-inspired because of Randall D. Wixen's book: The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition. Thank you very much Mr. Wixen. My paranoid protecting of my songs may have lead to meager success thus far, but my MUSIC IS STILL MINE and I can pass it on to my son. And, I still have time to put things in order and give it one more shot at "song writer's heaven"; all because your book has crystallized what I had learned on my own through experience, AND, filled in blanks, AND, has brought me into the present as far as the business realities are, AND, (lastly) your book has put it all into so concise and understandable a guide, that my hopes for accomplishing my life-long dream is better that ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Stuff, September 14, 2013
Clyde Autumn Jr. (Miami Gardens, FL, US) - See all my reviews
I now know why this book is so small, Randall Wixen skipped all of the small talk. Every chapter contains vital information for the preserving rights of any Performing Artist. Although the industry is wide open due to Free Enterprise, you still need a break. When the break or opportunity comes knocking, you'll be more than prepared to comfortably reap the benefits from your gifted contributions through this book. The Plain and Simple Guide To Music Publishing 2nd Edition is the mother of Music Publishing common sense, and like they say, "Mother always knows what's best." I love this book because it's not just informative,it's instructional for those who really want full control of their work. Empowering Stuff is what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity for songwriters, June 26, 2013
T. Dimock (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are a songwriter, you need this book. Randall Wixen tells the truth about the music publishing business and is surprisingly honest about some aspects of it (Harry Fox Agency, for one). This Second Edition has about 10% new material, but it is a very important 10%. The major new additions are a section on 360 deals, which are like marriages: the spouse (record label) gets half of everything, and that means everything; and a DIY (Do It Yourself) section. Royalty rates are also updated. Wixen is exactly the kind of publishing administrator you want representing your songs. Buy this book and memorize it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Plain + Simple Guide to Music Publishing, April 23, 2010
This book is amazing. The author is able to communicate his knowledge in a manner which is entertaining and easy to grasp. In addition to ''giving information'', he also forewarns readers about the many pitfalls that writers may encounter when having their works published, which is extremely valuable information. Very helpful book for anyone wishing to learn about music publishing. I highly recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Expanations, July 3, 2014
After reading this book I understand so much more. It helped me understand parts of Passman's book which I didn't understand. It's plain and simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable resource for songwriters/musicians who want to understand music copyright/publishing, February 3, 2014
This book offers alot of information that is hard to find and gives the details. It's a valuable resource for understanding the music publishing terminology and what it's about. The only reason l didn't give 5 stars is because Randall didn't give any advice on how a songwriter can find a music publisher. The introduction written by Tom
Petty is believable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Informative, December 27, 2013
Randall Wixen does a wonderful job of breaking down music publishing in this book. This is a must read for song writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The #1 book on music publishing!, June 9, 2013
I've taken many classes and read lots of books about music publishing, but this book has finally made it to clear understanding for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, February 19, 2013
I've found so much in this guide to be helpful and it really helped me prepare my project. This is a must for someone wanting to publish their own music.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition
The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition by Randall Wixen (Hardcover - November 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $6.09