5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Tells Songwriters and Musicians How To Avoid Pitfalls
Published on March 20, 2006 by John Klawitter

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of information
This book hold a lot of information a good source to have if your planning to be a publisher
Published on April 20, 2009 by Oscar A. Gutierrez

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Tells Songwriters and Musicians How To Avoid Pitfalls, March 20, 2006
Randall Wixon rose though the ranks of music publishers to become the largest independent in the business, known for his integrity, insight and sharp wit. Here he provides us with an easy-to read guide that makes common sense out of the seemingly complex financial side of the Music Business. No one could make this subject easy--Randall does as good a job as humanly possible to make it interesting and digestable. Anyone with a financial stake in a song, a lyric, a recording, will count this as must reading, even if they then go out to hire professional representation. I am a member of ASCAP with about 10 songwriting credits garnered over the years as a professional writer in Hollywood (Mostly at Disney Studios and Warner Bros), and yet I was embarrassed at how little I actually knew about my own rights. So anyone from a beginner to a semi-irregular song writer like myself to a prolific musician with hundreds of credits can and will profit from a careful reading of this book.

John Klawitter

writer/producer/director

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PLAIN AND SIMPLE TRUTH: IT'S GREAT!, December 5, 2005
Over the years I have conducted numerous lectures and workshops on the subject of music publishing. It's the only subject matter that I've tackled in a seminar environment that creates more questions with each answer. Randall Wixen, who has been in the business of music publishing for years, has thought of all the common questions and supplies answers to them by breaking down every aspect of music publishing (ownership, exploitation, profit splits, etc.) in detail and with clarity. This book articulates the purpose and role of music publisher and the mechanics and finances of their operation. It's also one of the few books that I've read that sheds light on how ASCAP & BMI collect, and distribute revenues among songwriters and publishers. Affordably priced to be a MUST HAVE reference book for all songwriters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Info, January 31, 2006
DeFacto (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Randall D. Wixen's book is packed full of valuable information for anyone with an interest in music publishing. I recommend this as a must-read no-nonsense guide for everyone from songwriters to music publishing executives. If I ran a large music publishing corporation, I would make this required reading for everyone at the company. Randall tells the basics about protecting and profiting from music copyrights. The forward by Tom Petty is a strong endorsement and from a songwriter's perspective says it all about this book in one line..."a book that could be the most valuable writing partner you'll ever hook up with".

5.0 out of 5 stars Readers learn about the inner workings of the music industry, pitfalls and promises, licensing, co-writing and more, October 8, 2005
Music copyright is an important thing to protect - and also happens to be one of the least understood areas of the industry, though it holds potential for big profits and large losses if it isn't handled right. The Plain And Simple Guide To Music Publishing: What You Need To Know About Protecting, And Profiting From, Music Copyrights narrows the focus to music publishing and comes from an author who has administered publishing rights for hundreds of artists and companies, earning them big-ticket money in the process. Readers learn about the inner workings of the music industry, pitfalls and promises, licensing, co-writing and more. Musician Tom Petty provides an introduction recounting his own tale of woe for not paying enough attention to this essential area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked No More, September 7, 2006
I purchased Randall Wixen's "Guide" on a whim, having never made a cent off of my home-brewed ditties and not sure I ever would. Now, nine months after moving to Los Angeles, I'm approaching a meeting with a major 'performing rights organization,' and I couldn't be armed with a better tool.

In his "Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing," Wixen sets forth in lay terms the basic in's and out's of the music publishing world. He demystifies this piece of the industry with clear examples and makes palatable material that we "creative types" often leave untouched. Importantly, he does it with humor and panache--the stuff is actually readable.

At minimum, you'll finish the book feeling like you at least know how NOT to get screwed in this music publishing arena; at maximum, you'll feel ready to set up your own publishing company, collect every penny off of your art, and take over the world.

And hey, if you don't believe me, just flip through the Foreword, penned by a local little songster named Tom Petty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read For Anyone Getting Into The Music Business!, March 15, 2010
A. Stancato "Abbie" (Indianapolis Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition (Hardcover)
I rarely offer feedback on a book. However, this is truly a great read. I began as a singer, musician in the early eighties. I have learned much of the business via osmosis, some of it incorrect. This book is deep. If you are new to the business or a veteran trying to REALLY learn the industry, plan on reading this book more than once. The chapters require a good understand of previous chapters to absorb and benefit the material. I discovered great insight for the least amount of investment I have ever spent in the music business.

Abbie Stancato

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Passman" of Music Publishing, April 10, 2009
Richard Shaw (La Crescenta, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book that ANYONE in the music business ought to read. Even if you're never going to enter the world of music publishing at least you'll have an understanding how that part of the business works.

Written by one who's been there and done that, Wixen is clear and concise in his explanations of the publishing business. If you're going to have music published you'll now understand how the business works, and what you need to know and do to make money from your music and publishing.

I believe the money in the music business has always been in publishing, not in performance or record deals. You can still profit from your music even in an age of digital distribution.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Worth Its Weight in Platinum, October 1, 2010
I as a baby-boomer who has had made music an important part of my life "The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition" has enabled me to feel better about not having accomplished a significant success in the music business, and in the process lost the best of my intellectual property. My life as a singer songwriter began in the early sixties having been inspired by the folk music revival and the explosion of many popular music genres that permeated our culture. My bio would mirror the historical patterns quite well: I performed in groups and solo in folk, rock, jazz and country through the years. My best opportunity appeared around 1965 when the manager of a now successful artist wanted to record one of my songs after listening to it on a stoop on MacDougal Street: I asked the artist should I trust him and his response was nebulous so I didn't go to the recording studio. Until I read The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition I regretted that one, and similar decisions that I had made.

A 1A draft status, tech school, enlisting in the Army later anyway, a rocky marriage conspired to altered my path relegating my passion to write songs to a back burner. Through the years I continued to accumulate songs and even attempted to do something with them from time to time, but, an inner paranoia always kept me protective of "my stuff". After college and a second attempt at family life I thought I had learned enough to become my own publisher and record label owner: and this seemed to finally get me heading in the right direction -- another big BUT however -- I spent more on equipment, professionals and such that I found it difficult to see black ink and then I had a son born with a serious heart defect.

I chose to attend to family matters for the next 25 years -- family became the priority.

Now in my sixties I have been re-inspired because of Randall D. Wixen's book: The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition. Thank you very much Mr. Wixen. My paranoid protecting of my songs may have lead to meager success thus far, but my MUSIC IS STILL MINE and I can pass it on to my son. And, I still have time to put things in order and give it one more shot at "song writer's heaven"; all because your book has crystallized what I had learned on my own through experience, AND, filled in blanks, AND, has brought me into the present as far as the business realities are, AND, (lastly) your book has put it all into so concise and understandable a guide, that my hopes for accomplishing my life-long dream is better that ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best introduction to Music Publishing, September 18, 2005
Randall Wixen has written an truly excellent book for someone wanting to learn the basics of Music Publishing & Administration. This whole area of the music business is much misunderstood and especially by young songwriters who need to know from day one just how important it is to understand and manage this side of the business. It's factual, no-nonsense and clear. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but why spend more for an old edition?, January 6, 2010
Mark Twain (Sutter Creek California) - See all my reviews
There is a second edition of this book with new information. Believe me this is the kind of book where updates are important. Dealers charging $72-$222 for an outdated edition is crazy in my humble opinion. Look on this product page and see that there is a second edition for $13, why pay collectible prices for this kind of book?

The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition
The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, 2nd Edition by Randall D. Wixen (Hardcover - November 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $12.33