5.0 out of 5 stars Beekeeper's Manifesto, May 26, 2009
Esmerelda (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
This sweet little book is part bug entymology, part how to be an apiarist, part interesting folklore, part recipes and part whimsey. It is a lovely book for gardeners, environmentalists, animal and bird lovers and people who generally appreciate the natural world. If you are thinking of becoming an apiarist there is even a short quiz for you to take to see if you would be a likely candidate for beekeeping.

Ms Brackney is a writer and an organic gardner and fell into beekeeping because she could not have any chickens where she lived. It is clearly a happy circumstance for both the writer and the reader. Ms. Brackney introduces us to the beekeeping world with humor and stories and a great sense for how the natural bee world works. She even writes a small part about how to make a bee beard. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bee-side Myself Over this Book, May 26, 2009
Phillip J. Hanna "Phil Hanna" (Indian Rocks Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I was fascinated with the world of bees as seen through the author's eyes. Her style of communication was informative and fun. It is an easy read. I would bee remiss if I didn't recommend this book to anyone looking for insight on our buzzing buddies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and entertaining read, June 2, 2009
A very easy and quick read spanning the author's background into how she bacame an apiarist along with her love of the creature and its beneficial impact on the planet. By the time you finish reading, you may daydream about how you can begin beekeeping like I did. Then you realize the 5,000 square foot lot surrounded by neighbors would likely bring you back to earth. Definitely worth reading if you have any interest in getting to know our hard working friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very engaging book on a familiar subject, September 7, 2009
There are numerous "bee books" on the market, many by amateurs who feel they have a literary bent. This book, however, shows that the detailed technical information that beekeepers love to read about (endlessly, for some reason!), can be made fun and humorous. The author has a true gift for restating commonly known facts and experiences (for current beekeepers) in a genuinely engaging way. Regardless of how many books you've read on the subject this is a 'keeper'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice story about the relationship between bees and humans, February 23, 2010
In this book the author talks not just about the history of bees in North America (including the release of AHB in South America) but also her own background as a beekeeper. She gives a very basic knowledge of bee history and endearing personal tales of beekeeping. A very inspirational book for beginner beekeepers and an easy gift for them too! If this book sparks your interest in the biology of honeybees then I suggest going on to read The Buzz About Bees: The biology of a superorganism. That too is a fascinating book worth the time to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, October 20, 2009
Interesting how the author managed to give the reader so much great information without coming across as lecture(y) or boring. It is to my library's credit that I found this book in the new book section. Since I love honey I was curious about the creatures who provide it. Ms. Brackney gave me a new found appreciation for bees and many good ideas as to how I can contribute to their success and well being. Now knowing that it took 2600 stops and 850 miles to allow me to add that teaspoon of honey to my tea, I will never look at my honey bear the same. It is obvious the love this author has for her own bees and all of creation. And, on a warm winter day, if I see a bee out & about, I will let him go about his "business"!
Thank you, Susan Brackney, well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for citizens of the earth, November 10, 2009
W. Latham "Bill" (Coral Gables, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
A bit of genius here. Everyone should read this book. It brings to light the importance of bees and our overall capacity for overlooking how very much we need them. This book is surprisingly well written - just that I hadn't expected to read it cover to cover in one sitting and enjoy every minute. It's humorous, very informative and it nurtures the caretaker (in me anyway) - that responsible, mature and enlightened citizen of the earth - untapped in most of us and unaccountable - or so we'd like to think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terricfic book, March 26, 2010
Teresa Westbrook "redlillys6" (Stoddard, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be honest, entertaining, and informative.
Beekeeping is something I'm interested in and this book was perfect. When I got to the last page, I was disappointed it was over and there wasn't more to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan Bee, April 18, 2013
This review is from: Plan Bee: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Hardest-Working Creatures on thePla net (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book for the curious about bees even if you aren't planning on having a hive of your own. I found it highly entertaining even though I read it more to learn about them. I learned more from this book than I thought and the author did a great job portraying her experiences as a beginner beekeeper and the plight of these incredible creatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could This Bee For You?, March 16, 2014
Claudia (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This is a charming and informative book for both the novice and advanced beekeeper, or simply someone who would enjoy a whimsical tour through the fascinating world of bees. With a clear love of the little stingers, personal anecdotes of success and failure, and interesting photos and drawings from present day to ancient Egypt, this little bee book is a must for any nature-lovers bookshelf. There's even a little quiz that will tell you if you'd be a good match for a hive of your own.

Got a friend who keeps chickens or has xeriscaped their yard? This is the perfect gift for them, to get them started on their next obsessive hobby. Enjoy!

$13.95 $11.72