Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 26, 2009
We have the snail and the Dancing Alligator. This one is better. While the Alligator certainly makes more noise and is a great toy, it is prone to tipping over and our toddler ends up just dragging it around on its side or its back.

The Snail however, has no "upside down". It works right side up or upside down and always manages to right itself if it gets on its side for some reason. Can't say the same for the Alligator.

Our family is happy with both. Nevertheless if this is your first purchase and you're trying to decide between the Snail and the Dancing Alligator, you might be happier with the Snail.
0Comment|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2007
I purchased this pull along snail for my daughter before she could even walk. She used to sit and just hold him and play with him... as she grew and learned to walk he quickly became a favorite, she pulled him all over the house, to the store, to grandma's, even to bed he came (try rolling over on a hard snail in the night OUCH LOL). She is 3 now and still plays with slimey the snail at least every other day. His colors are worn, I've had to glue him a couple times but she still loves him. I'm here today to buy a new one for her since he's reaching the end of his days but I couldn't be happier with the toy or durability being that it's been a couple years of daily rough play (he's gone done the stairs a few times).

Wonderful toy and great timeless/genderless gift to give as well.
on October 5, 2008
Our one year old son *loves* this toy, which is beautifully made and very charming to watch. I wanted to offer an update on the earlier post about a recall: apparently 3,000 snails were recalled in 2002, but the newer models meet safety standards, so don't worry about buying!
on August 21, 2012
This pull toy works on both sides, so even if it tips over it immediately corrects itself and continues smoothly. Works great on hard floors and good on carpet. My 1yo immediately started to pull the snail and loved the up and down movement of the head and I watched as it immediately corrected itself when she accidentally kicked it.
If i had to say something negative, I wouldn't mind if the pull string were a little bit longer, but overall I am so glad I chose this toy.
on December 16, 2011
This toy is a HUGE hit with my granddaughters! I didn't realize that the snail's body moved up and down so much, which provides sensory feedback when pulling it. The movement is so smooth and funny to watch that it mesmerized the 10 month-old and the 2 1/2 year-old loves pulling it along behind her. Even the 8 year-old took a turn at pulling it around the house, desisting only when 2 1/2 year-old became very insistent. I'm going to order the alligator next and may invest in a second snail, just to keep the peace!
on May 27, 2015
My son has used this toy for almost four years now. As a preschool, this is his pet snail "squirvey." He has an elaborate story about how he found him at the beach and bought him for a dollar. He eats lettuce and his leash is tied up in his room at night. This toy truly is adorable for kids of all ages.

We love plan toys for their conscious effort to sustain the Earth. We have never been disappointed by any of their products (ordered more than a dozen). I have to say this is probably the best one, easily one of the top three (the other two favorites are stackers).
on November 2, 2014
I bought this for my son when he was 9 months old. He had very little interest in it initially. He was a late walker at 15 months. Around 18 months, he really started to "get" the pull toy concept. He now enjoys taking his snail for walks all over the house. Aesthetically, plan toys are so much nicer than the typical plastic eyesores you see everywhere. Gary is adorable to look at, and very durable. He shows some slight wear on the tops of his eyes as a result of my son "walking" him in the upside-down position on the kitchen floor; but it just gives him some character. Bless his little snail heart.
on March 16, 2016
We love wooden toys and among our collection of them (quite a few between our toddler and baby), this is a big favorite. Even my 3-year-old still plays with it and gets a kick out of the clicking noise the rolling wood makes on our wood floors. The snail looks really cute when it rolls along and the snail body moves up and down. We also play with the snail as a puppet (moving the head via the string) and always get lots of laughs.

The snail is well-made and sturdy — it has held up pretty well through so, so many times of being dropped down, instead of set down, by our toddler. The dowel connecting the snail house did break a few months ago, though I attribute that to being dropped lots over the course of a couple of days. We were able to fix that with a new dowel piece (from Michaels) — that's one of the things I love about wooden toys, you can fix them if they break! Our toddler was anxiously awaiting the snail being repaired and asked about it every day until it was put together again.

I wouldn't have thought that a simple pull toy would be played with so much and for so long, so I would definitely highly recommend this for babies and toddlers.
on November 14, 2014
There was this toy when our family visited my wife's friend's daughter's second birthday party. Among 10+ kids my son bravely grabbed this toy and was crawling with it. He fell in love with it, I had to get it. Once we bought one he was really happy. Now he is little over Year and half but he still plays with it. It is made out of solid wood and the pulling mechanic is awesome that even adults like it. The colors are nice and overall build quality is nice. Plan Toys makes good quality toys, I have another plan toys with car rails. Overall I recommend this product.!
on July 30, 2014
My little boy LOVES this snail. He pulls it all over the house! I chose this one over the alligator because other reviews says this one doesn't really have an upside down, and will keep rolling no matter which way it's flipped. I am SO GLAD I took the advice of others, because it really can flip over easily and I can see how frustrating it would be if it would no longer roll once flipped. This one keeps on going! The movement it makes as it is pulled is adorable. One of our better toy purchases, since this actually gets played with!