Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on September 5, 2009
As soon as this toy came in the mail, I was disappointed in the size. However, it was for our daughter's first birthday, and we figured we would see what she thought of it before we sent it back. She was way more impressed with it than I was. She had a little trouble getting the rings on at first, but she has gotten really good at it in the two weeks she's had it. The only thing she can't put on yet is the ball. The pieces fit well in her hands and so I guess that's either why it is the size it is, or it'd be too heavy if it were bigger.

I love that I don't have to worry that this will be recalled due to it being dangerous or toxic. I also really like that she can put the rings on in any order she wants, not all stackers do that. My husband is worried that she will throw the ball part and break something but so far it hasn't occurred to her.

*edited to add: our dog ate the red ball off the top. Emailed the company, who sent a free replacement. That was pretty awesome.*
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 28, 2010
I love Plan Toys. They use solid, sturdy wood instead of plastics, and all of their dyes are food-grade so you don't have to worry about your kid ingesting anything nasty if they chew on their toys.

This stacking ring set is great. Some people have complained that it's smaller than a lot of the other stacking ring sets out there, but i don't see that as a bad thing. Infant and toddler hands are pretty small, and these rings seem to fit them pretty well. My son actually refused to play with a stacking ring set at his grandparents' house because the big, puffy plastic rings were too big for him to hold.

The collapsible base thing is actually a bit silly. All it means is that instead of the column being fixed to the base, it's tied on with string. If you push it, it flexes a little.

And as for the red ball on top not screwing on, well, i'd like this toy less if it did. My son likes stacking the rings then upending the whole thing, which he wouldn't be able to do if it screwed on. Also, i doubt he'd be able to get the hang of screwing it on right away, so he wouldn't be able to put it on at all until he did. Sure, it would make storage a bit easier, but it's not really that hard to pick the whole thing up by the base instead of by the ball on the top.
on September 14, 2012
We homeschool our three children. I really like the Montessori method, but finding well made Montessori learning toys that are afordable is not an easy task! This toy was made in Thailand. Finding a toy that is not made in China is so difficult these days! Plan Toys are the best, they are affordable, so well made that they can be handed down, made Eco friendly, and not made in China. Who could ask for more!
on January 14, 2011
This wooden toy is wonderfully sturdy and colorful, and has retained the attention of my two toddlers for years! The rings are dyed, so there is no chipping paint. The stick is connected to the base with a cloth colored elastic band (hidden inside), so it's less likely to break if a child steps on it or falls on it. We have not had any issues with the band wearing out. This was an exceptionally well-executed toy by Plan Toys.

One word of caution: Do be aware that the red wooden ball on top is a danger if thrown. It took a bit of modeling before I convinced my 2 and 3 year old that this was not a ball for throwing. Every now and again, the ball still "makes a bad choice" and has to be placed in timeout.
on April 11, 2009
I love that the rings actually go in the rainbow order of colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. The colors are vibrant. The pole bends away from the base, so there's some flexibility. My son loves this toy and has played with it since he was seven months old (minus the pole base). If you have a dog, I would recommend watching them closely around this toy. For some reason, my dog chewed on two of the rings. Maybe because of the vegetable dyes or the rubber tree wood? I still think this is the best stacking ring.
on December 26, 2011
I love the idea of the clasic ring stacker but hate the idea of plastic and how it's not very durable. So we went with this plan toy stacker as a halloween goodie for our 6 month old since he couldn't enjoy the candy. It is his favorite toy! He plays with it everyday several times a day. He is almost 9 months old now and and still enjoys it. It takes quite the beating because his favorite place to play with this toy is in his highchair and he'll throw them off his tray onto the floor and you'd never know it! They still look brand new. The rings make a great teething toy. For the price and how much my child loves this toy I would recommend it over and over again. My husband wasn't a believer in the purchase but now he comments on how suprised he is that our son loves this toy so much.
on April 6, 2012
High quality toy that my kids love. They've been playing with it since I first gave it to them around age 9 months. They play with it in different ways as they get older. Looks fantastic, and it's smooth and well made. It's definitely smaller than the plastic stacking rings, but I think appropriately sized for a baby.
on April 5, 2015
This is a good, solidly made toy. I like that it's made of wood and the dyes are safe. All the parts are sanded smooth and feel safe to touch and mouth. They have a nice weight to them. The toy is quite small, but it fits my 10-month-old's hands perfectly, so I think it's the right size for her. I don't trust her not to poke her eye out on the base, so I only gave her the rings and ball for now. She absolutely loves this toy, even though she can't stack it yet. She loves handling, chewing and rolling the pieces, putting them inside containers, poking her fingers through the holes. And the red ball... Ah, the red ball. It's her most favorite toy of all time. I would've never thought she'd get so attached to a plain wooden ball!!! She carries it around everywhere, and will only give it to trusted people, and only for about 3 seconds max. She looks hilarious trying to crawl on 3 limbs because she has to hold the ball in one hand.

All in all, the toy has been a total success so far. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is the price. Come oooooon... It doesn't get much simpler than this. What could possibly be worth $17.69 on this thing?!?

UPDATE: My daughter is 12 months old now and the red ball from this toy is still her favorite toy ever. I don't know what kind of crack they put in it. We just celebrated her first birthday, and all the new toys ain't got nothing on the red ball! I had to hide it so she would look at the new toys. I think my baby likes the simple things in life.

UPDATE #2: At 15 months she's an expert at stacking the rings on the pole. The red ball still holds a special place in her heart, though it has recently given way to a baby doll. The biggest ring fits juuuuust barely in her palm, and she insists on holding the rings in her palm and not by the edge, so I can totally see why this stacker is the size it is. I don't understand why people whine about its size. It's made for babies, after all, and needs to fit them, not you! The size is perfect. My daughter loooooves ringing this thing, dumping the rings, and then again and again. Great toy.
on June 12, 2011
I bought this for my daughter when she was 4 months old, because I loved staking rings when my older daughter was a baby. What I loved about this (aside from the "Green" aspect) was that the stick moves, instead of breaking. My older daughter's broke after a year, so I was looking for ways to avoid that, and this is it!

My daughter is now 15 months old and only just learning to put the rings on the stick, but it's been used for so much from the time we've bought it 'til now. It's been used as clappers, rings, chew toys and hats... the top ball has been perfect for my daughter's little hands this whole time... We just love this. After a year, it's still vibrant as when we first got it, and there is little to no sign of "use".... after we've taken it through the mud (literally) and back.
on May 19, 2011
We got my 7-month old daughter a different stacking ring toy that was wood and had non-toxic paint, but as soon as we got it and gave it a light wash, the paint started flaking. Since everything goes in the mouth at this point, that didn't seem ideal at all! I found and ordered this and am absolutely thrilled. Not only does the paint not come off (Plan Toys uses a dyeing rather than surface painting process), but the company uses organic rubberwood from trees that no longer produce enough liquid ooze to make...rubber. The colors are bright and intriguing to the baby and the rings are extremely smooth and soft, so they're not only good for banging on things (nice and loud) but excellent for sucking as well. I highly recommend this toy!