5.0 out of 5 stars simplicy is wonderful
We have the board book version and thank goodness! This book is read many times and is holding up well. Any baby or younger child who likes airplanes will love this book. It would also be helpful to read to children who are getting ready to take an airplane flight.
Published on June 5, 2001 by christinemm from The Thinking...

2.0 out of 5 stars Great books, poor quality (board book)
These are great books due to their illustrations. My son loves them. I picked up 4 of them online. Unfortunately, the cover of the Planes book separated from the binding after only a few months. The Machines at Work binding is also coming loose. I would not buy any more of these books in the board format. I would evaluate the library bending to see if that format is...
Published on March 4, 2012 by JRK

5.0 out of 5 stars simplicy is wonderful, June 5, 2001
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
Cartoonish and simple drawings with thick black outlines and pretty bold colors. Text is very simple "this is a jet plane with people inside". Very simple wording yet NOT annoying. Quick to read through and then my son asks for it over and over and honestly, I don't mind the repetition for this book (unlike some other books we own....) At 3 years old he now has it memorized and sits and "reads" it to himself over and over. My baby also likes this book and carries it all over the house and "reads" it to himself with babbling baby talk.
I can't wait to buy more of this author's books and wish they were all available in board book format as this one gets a lot of use in our home.
I have not seen other books about planes in board book format that are appropriate for baby through the preschool ages, making this is a unique book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soaring through the skies with Byron Barton, November 11, 2001
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
Byron Barton's "Planes" is a fun and educational book for beginning readers. In it the author/illustrator depicts a jet plane, seaplane, crop duster, helicopter, and other aviation phenomena. A sample of the easy-to-read text: "This is a jet plane with people inside."
The illustrations are basically simplified line drawings enhanced with bright, solid colors. Barton brings a distinctive stylistic flair to this approach. A nice touch is that Barton depicts people of various colors and ethnic appearances. Overall, a good choice for small children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction for little travelers, December 6, 2003
H. Barrett "mother of 3 boys" (Sugar Land, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
When we took our 1-year-old across the country via air, we wanted to prepare him for the experience of riding in an airplane. I sought out a book to show him pictures and came across this simple yet substantial book.
Before we took our trip, I was able to show him the pictures of planes similar to what we'd be flying in. When we were waiting on the plane, he was able to "read" his Plane book and see pictures of all the activity that was happening just outside his window. As we flew, the book entertained him with its colorful illustrations and many details.
This is definitely a favorite to my toddler, who now at almost two adores planes and has flown 6 times in the last 3 months. It has been taken across the country and back and has stood up well, with only a few indications that it is a well-loved book.
I've seen no other book like this, and highly recommend it to anyone preparing their child for travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating plane spotters dream, July 8, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
This book is an excellent selection for young plane spotters,toddlers going on a plane trip, or who have parents who take planetrips. The bold, colorful yet simple graphics captivate my son's attention, and give us many things to talk about on each page. He started enjoying this book at 15 months, and by 18 months could pick out several things at the airport that he had seen in the book. We use the book to talk about what happens when daddy goes away on a plane. The diversity (gender, age and ethnicity) of travelers illustrated makes it easy for my son to pick out "daddy" in several of the pictures, thus making the process of daddy's disappearance on a business trip a little more understandable. The book fits easier into our carry-on bags for our plane trips. The pages are easier handled by an 18 month old, and hold up well under various spillages that inevitably happen with a favorite book. Based on my son's enthusiatic enjoyment of this title, I am ordering several other Byron Barton books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be better, July 10, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
My baby loves this - he's 21 months - be brings it to me all the time to read. Nice illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toddler book about all kinds of airplanes, March 1, 1998
Planes is perfect for the toddler learning new words. Barton takes us on and off planes and illustrates different uses for airplanes, like crop dusting. There are even boats and trucks pictured in this story to add to the learning experience. This book is a simplified version of Barton's Airport book. It is small enough for little hands and great for traveling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fun fun, June 1, 2007
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
My son has had this book since he was two and it was his favorite until he discovered longer stories. He had memorized most of this book. The pictures are bright and lovely, and the sequence is perfect. Highly recommend this for a toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy and Daddy love this one too!, July 5, 2005
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
This book is fantastic in its simplicity, but under the short phrases and light graphics, there is a lot of detail. Not only is there a wonderfully diverse cast of characters, but the book starts and ends with the plane in the air. Normally, books have the plane taking off at the beginning and landing at the end, but this thoughtful touch by Byron allows the reader to imagine the plane "living" in the air, as they seem to do, with only brief stops on the ground.

When we first looked at this book in the store, it stuck in our minds after we went home and for several weeks afterward. We finally went back and bought it, and we think that we like it even more than our son does. We are not going to mind reading this one over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars our guys love this book, May 27, 2007
Cap'n Co (Fall River, Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
we have twins about 18 months old who love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars FOR A TODDLER, June 14, 2006
Sami Jadran (Germantown, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planes Board Book (Board book)
It teaches the basic about planes. Easy to read outloud book.

Planes Board Book
Planes Board Book by Byron Barton (Board book - April 18, 1998)
$7.99 $7.19