5.0 out of 5 stars You are set for 10yrs of recipes!
I bought both this book and his How to Grill from Costco at $13.99 each. While How to Grill is more about basics (my husband has already improved his technique after reading it), this book brings you to a totally different level.

Published on June 11, 2010 by FFDR

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I live in the South and this was not what I think of as typical barbecue recipes! May work well for some.
Published 1 month ago by duke blu

5.0 out of 5 stars You are set for 10yrs of recipes!, June 11, 2010
FFDR (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)

1. Unlike other books that have recipes require 10+ ingredients, some of which are often overly sweet and over powering, the recipes in this book normally involve only 5-8 ingredients, very manageable. A lot only have 2 ingredients! And the flavors are diverse.

2. The book also offers great knowledge and insight about food, bbq and cooking in other parts of the world. For example: why eggplant is naturally suited for bbq, Japanese 'less is more' philosophy, Jamaican's typical seasonings, Latin American food's typical sweet and salty flavor. The knowledge allows me to mix and match ingredients from different cuisines.

My only minor complaint is that the book can improve on organization. For example: the pork chapter spans from page 191 to Page 264. With recipes ranging from different countries packed in one chapter, it would be nice to have an index either within the main index or in the beginning of the chapter that shows: name of recipe, country and page number. This would make the navigation a bit easier.

Nevertheless, this book is great to have or to give as a gift. Your bbq friend will be grateful to you for years to come!

Update: after owning both books for a few weeks, I upgraded the book from 4 star to 5 star in spite of my minor criticism. We have tried new recipes and fine tuned our grilling techniques (direct vs. indirect, smoking). We loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars *His best work yet - deserves an award*, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)
WOW - A plethora of cooking techniques, the recipes sound great, and he takes you on his culinary journey by doing an intro into each country he visited. Great piece of work. This book will take a long time to read - it is so packed with great information you will not want to "pass" on one recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is it about this author's book?, May 25, 2010
This review is from: Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries (Hardcover)
...that stands out in a sea of similar books? This book has the authenticity, excitement, and carefully selected writing and pictures that get people fired up about grilling/cooking in a way that sets it apart, almost magically from other similar titles. Having visited some of the countries contained herein, I am drawn in as he "pulls off the covers" of methods for making international favorites. I think it's also his concern for showmanship, like a magician, in jazzing up the reader's cooking that takes some of his books to other levels. If you liked the original Barbecue Bible, or his masterful How to Grill (with all the color pictures), you will not be disappointed. When the Barbecue Bible was re-released with the promise of being illustrated with pictures I was excited because I had learned a lot from the original version; the amount of recipes pictured was disappointing. This has a better balance of pictures, though it would be even better with more pictures (ideally one for each recipe, even if the picture is small) Some people may complain about certain ingredients or too many recipes, but for many people this will be entertaining and informative even if they don't make most of the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars short review - no BS, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries (Hardcover)
It does not read like a cook book/recipe book, It has a LOT of side stories, extra info, all interesting but it makes it hard to navigate through this book if you just want to grill something.
Also this book is nearly 600 pages and 300 recipes, I would expect AT LEAST one photo of each finished dish (ideally in process pics as well) a lot of recipes don't have a single photo so you'll have no clue how the end product is suppose to look, I would not be a problem for ribs or burgers but this book has a lot of Asian or African food and I can't simply imagine how it suppose to look. Plus the recipes without photos are not appealing - they don't have the "wow- that looks Delicious! I'll should cook that for the party" factor. Surprisingly it has maps to let you know that this recipe is from the north east of Uzbekistan and not south west.

Pros
+ details, side stories, cooks biographies (multiple) cultural information
+ recipes are great, if they list a rare spice the author provides a mail to order source and alternative spices
+ hard cover with overlay, large format, good quality
+ style is great,the author is often funny, when you read the book - you can almost hear his voice
+ author list alternative ingredients, alternative methods

Cons
- hard to navigate, both, whole book layout and individual page layout is cramped, making it hard to find the recipe you need, after you find it its often hard to find the detail on the recipe you need
- no photos- book has cook photos, city photos, maps, it should have at least one recipe related photo per recipe, it doesn't

I am happy with this product and wood recommend it, however it is not perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for BBQ lovers, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)
The book is for those who like trying out and discovering new tastes.
All recepies that I have tried produced really good results.
Really tasty, in depth and easy to follow recepies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excerpted from my July 2010 review in The National Barbecue News, July 27, 2010
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)
It's hard to believe that it has been four years since Steven Raichlen has released a new book. After all, this is an author who was cranking them out pretty regularly. His string of barbecue books started in 1998 with "The Barbecue! Bible". Then came "Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes" in May 2000, "How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques" in May 2001 and "Beer-Can Chicken: And 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill" in May 2002. Raichlen next let a mere 11 months go by before releasing " BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America" in April 2003, then came back the following fall with "Indoor! Grilling" in November 2004. Raichlen didn't release a book in 2005, but did come back in May 2006 with "Raichlen on Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs".

And that was it.

To be fair, there was a new edition of "The Barbecue! Bible" in May 2008. But for an author who averaged a new book every 14 months over a span of eight years, this has been a long quiet spell. But now it's over. Raichlen has a new book out - "Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries" ($22.95, Workman Publishing, 639 pp.).

If you're familiar with Raichlen's style then this book will be familiar to you. But that's not to say this is same old, same old. For while this book will certainly stir echoes of "The Barbecue! Bible", this book is more like "The Barbecue! Bible" on steroids. There are more recipes and more countries visited. There are loads of full-color pictures and graphics. But perhaps best of all, there are more stories and telling a story is truly Raichlen's strength. Whether he's discussing Jamaican barbecue or talking about Haj Brik, the grandfather of Moroccan grilling, Raichlen's skills shine the brightest when he is telling the tales of his travels. And in "Planet Barbecue!", you get 600 pages plus of interesting stories and great recipes to boot.

By the way, want to know what Raichlen has been up to for those four years? He's been busy penning his first novel! The book is reportedly close to going to press and we'll keep you posted on details here as they are available.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of BBQ, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries (Hardcover)
I think I own all books that Steven Raichlen has published. This one is fantastic too. I love the personal stories he tells when obtaining recipes etc .. For example the Jerk recipe he obtained from Boston Jerk in Jamaica is awesome and the story was fantastic. I have made the Jerk many time and have served it to my Jamaican friends and they are amazed that I can serve them something that is as close to the real Boston Jerk chicken. I also made couple of other dishes from this book and served it at our block party and each and every one was a super hit. Highly recommend this book to people who love to grill. You will love the variety of recipes in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cookbook!, February 10, 2014
This is by far my favorite cookbook of the 40 or so that I own. Not only are there color pictures showing the food but each grouping of recipes tells you about the local cuisine in that area of the world, its influences and a story with pictures about the excellent grillmasters who prepare the recipes in that section and their techniques and tips. This background makes you feel in touch with the grillmaster, his country and his recipe and adds to the enjoyment of preparing the food in my opinion. The Moroccan Lamb with a Charmoula Sauce was awesome - a friend of our still hasn't quit talking about that. The beef and chicken sate's are wonderful and also include sauce recipes. I just prepared the Grilled Crocodile recipe from South Africa for my family and my 'meat and potatoes' mother for the first time and we loved it. The recipe said to substitute pork and shrimp if you didn't have crocodile and the pork and shrimp skewers turned out wonderfully. As usual, the recipe was a hit and it even recommended a sauce to accompany the meat and provided that recipe also.Butterflied Serbian-style flank steak, chcken breasts stuffed with smoked ham, cheese and herbs, grilled fish and shellfish of all types, grileld breads and vegetables, this cookbook has it all. Some recipes are fairly simple, others complex, but they are all excellent. Recipes frequently recommend good substitutions for any ingredients that could be considered as hard to find, though most ingredients are readily available at any quality grocery store.

I've cooked recipes from Morocco, Austrailia, Croatia, Zimbabwe, Indonesia and Brazil, just to name a few. The stories and pictures of the often small town grillmasters cooking over open pits or clay ovens and people coming from all over town to eat there really help add depth to this cookbook and it's very engaging when you read through the stories and recipes. I recommend this cookbook to any adventurous griller who likes trying different cuisines and making their family and friends happy by cooking flavorful, tasty food for them. Likley no one if your neighborhood will have ever seen or tried recipes like the ones contained in this cookbook. Try it and hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as my family and friends have. It is well illustrated and very well presented in a way that no other cookbook that I've seen has done before. 5 stars out of 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering recipes, full of variety, easy to follow, October 16, 2013
Catherine (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)
This book is amazing -- and by that I mean you will get delicious food for your effort (not always the case with recipes!).

I belong to a grassfed beef "share" program (like a CSA for meat) and am always looking for recipes for the different cuts of meat that await in my freezer. This book has proven indispensable because I can easily pick something and find a great recipe for that particular piece of beef. (Personally, I have had much better luck with this book than search results on the Internet for the same purpose, which gives mixed results in terms of tasty recipes.)

So far, one of my favorites is a Malaysian recipe, Nonya Style Flank Steak. The Cartagena Beef Kebabs were also a big hit at our neighborhood BBQ. The recipes have enough ingredients to achieve the flavors each region is known for, but they aren't too complicated or overly time-consuming in terms of chopping and mincing for so long that you don't want to do it over again.

Of course, this book includes recipes for all kinds of meat, plus vegetables and even fruit. I have tried just a few of the non-beef recipes, but I look forward to eventually trying all of them!

On a final note, I also like the international aspect of this book, with the context/history for each recipe, and travel anecdotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever, even for non-barbecue books, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Planet Barbecue! (Paperback)
This is the best cookbook for any type of food ever. I bought it on a lark when I saw it on display at the store and it unfortunately sat around for a year until I decided I should get a proper grill. Once I got the grill I've been making nothing but recipes from this book. The thing for me with grilling is that while I like a good steak, what I like even more is a good mix of flavors and seasonings, and this book is great for that. There are recipes from all over the world with a variety of styles, and every recipe I have made has been excellent. He also has good advice on how to grill in case you are a beginner like I was. If you are starting from scratch you should probably read the instructional parts, which I just glanced at when I first made the recipes. The fun part, though, is just reading the recipes to see what to make next.

Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries
Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries by Steven Raichlen (Hardcover - May 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $7.13