Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon August 8, 2008
I installed a bike rack that had a mount and standard reflector, but since my neighborhood jaunts take through traffic at times, I wanted something a little more visible to cars.

This blinky has 5 bright LEDs, two lighting options (blink or steady), and an option to clip it to clothing or bags, mount it to your seatpost or attach it to a reflector mount on your rack. Both mounts are included in the package, along with batteries. At least one of these mounts, the Planet Bike Rear Rack Taillight Mount 3108, sells separately as well.

The bracket mounted to the rack easily, and the light clip snaps into a groove. I did take the precaution of hanging the light so that it must be slid up to remove it after bending back the catch, rather than slid down.

Its obscenely bright, but that's what I wanted, and doesn't hang too low in the rear bracket, but fits perfectly under the rear of my Bontrager trunk rack. When I start commuting, I think I'll get a second to mount on the seat post, and then unclip the light and attach it to the trunk-bag when it's on the rack.
on June 16, 2011
Great product as always from Planet Bike. I attach this to a Topeak Explorer Rack and a 20" Dahon Arclite rack for my folding Curve SL. Comes with two mounting options, so I only had to purchase an extra mounting set for my racks since there was one included as I alternate between bicycles I simply pop the light from one rack to another! Good stuff!
review image review image review image
on July 28, 2010
while the Blinky 5 performs to the level I expected it didn't come with any directions on how to open and install batteries...so after some research I checked out planet bikes website. In the FAQ there are generalized directions for opening the light which make you wonder why it's not just printed on the box. "Place a coin in corner of light where the parts meet and twist. Insert Batteries."
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 25, 2009
I like Planet Bike's products and chose this one specifically because it came equipped to mount on a rear bike rack (getting harder to find these days). After trying it, I wound up returning it and paying another $10 for a $25 Planet Bike Super Flash tail light instead ( and I am VERY HAPPY with the PB Super Flash and recommend it; click My Other Reviews to see my Super Flash review and other bike gear). Here's why I returned the Blinky 5:

Not bright enough. With 5 LEDs, I was expecting pretty bright and able to hold its own in suburban traffic. Other reviewers seem to find it bright. I did not; with two different sets of fresh batteries I just could not get it to yield adequate light. Disappointing. The lens seems designed so as to get some side-view illumination, but my unit wasn't bright enough for that. I found it less bright than the Blackburn Mars 1 for instance (itself a nice light, although nothing is as bright as the PB Super Flash.) So I returned the Blinky 5/upgraded to the $25 PB Super Flash, very happy, end of story.

Might be adequate for exclusive quiet-bike- trail riding where brightness is not a prime concern, but in my opinion just not bright enough to count on getting a car driver's attention when you need it. If you plan to share the road with car drivers even occasionally, check out the Super Flash.

Hope this is helpful. Happy rides, everybody.
on February 18, 2014
I purchased it two years ago and it's still running. I love it so much I bought two more for my family. The led is bright with two settings; flash and steady. It can be seen 180 degrees. My favorite is that it's one of the few models that comes with a rack mount and a seat post mount. It has survived better than the RavX Rack Light (not recommended). It's easy to remove and used for other things thanks to the belt clip attachment.

Tip/Note.
1. Batteries are included. They are AAA.
2. Screwdriver is needed for seatpost mount (included).
3. Adjustable wrench is also need for the rack mount (included).
4. Two light settings; flash and steady.
5. Use a base of the key or a coin to pop the housing to replace the battery.
6. There is a rear fork mount that sold seperately.

01/24/2015 Item still working without any problems. Just replaced the battery on all three Blinky's. Planning to purchase one last one for the youngest one. Still recommend more than RavX or even Cateye.
on November 25, 2015
This is the perfect light for me!

I have a Day 6 Bicycle which is a semi-recumbent of sheer luxury. I added a rear rack and baskets to my bicycle and I needed a light for the rear rack.

I was riding my new Day 6 bicycle so much, that I kept getting caught out in the dusk of short winter days. I was fearful of the traffic. Also I often ride around campgrounds and RV parks, since I live in a motorhome.

I wanted a rear light that used regular batteries (this one uses AAA) and I wanted a strobe option so that when I am in traffic during daylight, I could put the strobe on and be seen better.

This light fit the bill and when it arrived, I was so anxious to try it out, that I just used a zip tie to attach it to my rear rack. That evening I was able to test it out around the RV park I was currently camping in. I was amazed! It's a VERY BRIGHT light and the strove function is awesome, both at night and during the daytime.

I am super pleased with this product. Just the other evening, I was riding my bicycle around the RV park and I turned it on, because I wanted to be seen and it was getting towards dusk. The next day a couple that also own bicycles, came over wanting to know about my light because they had seen me riding around and were impressed with how bright the light is.
review image review image
on June 7, 2013
I bought the PB blinky 5 to be more visible to cars approaching from behind as I ride the shoulder of the road. I wasn't sure if I'd like a blinking light because I thought I would look like a safety nut. After passing bicyclists at night while driving a vehicle, I realized that a constantly on taillight looks too much like a motorcycle and a driver not paying enough attention could mistake the bicyclist for a motorcycle and consequently think they should follow behind as if there is a second lane only to plow into the back of the bicyclist who is going much slower. This confusion is from the combination of high output bicycle headlights and taillights that may make a slower bicyclist appear to be a motorized vehicle and it only takes the mistake of the driver believing you're driving at the same speed as them. I suggest everyone use the flash in a roadway to differentiate that you're moving slower and should be passed to your left unless you're in a line of bicyclists when only the last rider needs the flasher and the others ahead would be courteous to the bicyclists behind them if they used constant on to be easier on the eyes.

I even bought a second rack mount for my backup bike so I can just clip the blinky in to either bike, depending on which I choose to ride.
review image
on January 25, 2015
I have had the blinky 3 for 8 years and it has been a great light; i got this one after putting a rack on my bike. The new rack blocks the seatpost position of the blinky 3, so I had to find something with a rear-rack mount while carrying loads. The design of this light is largely similar to the 3, which turns out is a major issue. When mounted on the rear of the rack, the taillight gets much more vibrational force than one mounted on the bike frame itself. So, on it's first night out, after 3 miles of riding on paved roads in relatively good condition, one of the AAA batteries begins to work its way out of the terminal and the light is either barely flashing at minimal brightness or turned off completely. Brand new. The case is difficult to open without a nickel or a scew driver, so stopping mid-ride to click the battery back in becomes a major hassle. This is a design flaw that could be easily fixed by making the case fit snugly around the battery, but instead there is a gap between battery compartment and outer lens large enough to allow a battery to become unseated. Look elsewhere; this is not a functional light.
on September 1, 2010
This is a very good value for money. It is extremely bright at night,I have 1 other light that I bought a few years ago that is only half as bright as this one. Light comes with batteries and can be mounted to seat post, bike rack, belt, or seat rack. It comes with all mounting brackets.
on November 21, 2010
Very bright and easily installed on my rack. Rack mount is very fragile and broke when I bumped it with my leg. I was able to epoxy it back together but was disappointed with how fragile the mounting system is.