Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 24, 2010
Like many of you I researched different types of bike saddles hoping to find a good mix of comfort and performance. I created this video to share my experiences with this seat so others could make a more informed decision before buying. I've added specific measurements and my overall thoughts on the seat. You be the judge if this saddle is right for you. Happy riding!
1616 comments|558 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
I'm 5'10", 164 lbs with a 33" waist. I think I have a normal sized butt and sit bones. I needed to replace the stock seat on a Trek DS 8.5 hybrid bicycle. Although the stock seat had a mild depression for the perineal area, it simply wasn't enough and left me starting to feel numb after 10 miles or so.

This seat is an incredible upgrade and works excellently with normal street clothes. O.k., brace yourself, I'm going to start using technical anatomy words--Google a medical pic of the male anatomy if you need some help. The deep, long relief channel provides full relief for one's anus, perineum, and bulbospongiosus muscle, the latter being my biggest "pain" while using the stock saddle (and often the most overlooked relief area). As a relative measure, I wasn't able to fart (that should get a giggle or two) while seated in the stock saddle, but the ARS provides plenty of breathing room for the activity, which indicates there is no pressure to staunch the flow. Like most horned saddles, the "boys" float comfortably on the horn of the saddle and are in no danger of falling down into the forward channel.

Adjustability is standard and secure. The slight upward rise of the saddle in the sit bone area led me to position the horn a touch higher than level so that I wouldn't be pushed forward. The back of the ARS saddle is a bit wider and taller than my stock saddle, so it does touch the back of my legs a bit more at the gluteus crease. While noticeable, it hasn't ever bothered me on my 25-30 mile rides.

I find the material to have sufficient friction to keep me from sliding around, but not so sticky that I can't move easily. It feels like a stiff or bristly microfiber. As an added bonus, I didn't realize that the padding was a stiff foam rubber. From the picture, I thought it would be harder on the sit bones, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it provides nice, firm cushioning. Now that I have this ARS saddle, I'm glad I didn't get the Planet Bike 5020 Men's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel. I think the gel would just be too much. As others have noted, the stickers fall off pretty quickly in humid or wet conditions.

Because the front of the relief channel is a through-hole, the rider's tender bits get plenty of ventilation while in motion.

All in all, an excellent saddle and a no-brainer for $25.

Note: The attached picture compares the longer Planet Bike 5020 Men's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel to this seat.
review image
55 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2011
Some of the negative reviews posted by previous buyers almost persuaded me to skip this product, but I am VERY glad I purchased it! After sifting through many of the reviews, I noticed one of the major complaints was that it was not big enough. I think some of those reviewers were confused regarding what they had ordered...

It says in the title, "Bicycle Saddle", which typically refers to a narrow seat designed for long-distance biking. If you are looking for a wide, deeply-cushioned, EZ-boy-inspired "seat", this ain't it! However, I've ridden for over 10 years and thousands of miles on a saddle made of leather and steel (came stock with my bike), and this provides loads of anatomical relief over that traditional bicycle saddle! It is so much more comfortable than a traditional saddle -- has just enough cushion to ease the pressure without being too bulky for long rides. The sciatic recess is nice as well, and has really cut down on the tingling-sensation I feel in my nether region after a long ride...

Two downsides that made this product 4-star instead of 5:

1- As other reviewers have noted, the logos on the "nose" of the saddle are not too durable: I've only put on about 200 miles in two weeks and one of them has already come off where my thigh rubs the seat. Of course, I didn't buy this seat for its logos, I purchased it for its performance, which is stellar. Besides, they come off pretty clean -- looks like they were never even there, just makes me wonder about long-term quality of the rest of the product)

2- The description does claim that the center recess provides "anatomic relief and ventilation". Anatomic relief? Absolutely. Ventilation? I didn't notice any difference. This was the main reason I knocked it down a star (again, I don't really care too much about the ventilation, but thought it would be a nice perk; the description was a bit misleading in that sense).

Overall, this is the best 'bicycle seat' I've ridden on since I was a kid (i.e., the best seat I've ever had on a road bike). It provides lots of relief and cushion while still maintaining a low profile and staying out of the way on long rides. I would absolutely recommend this to friends/family.
11 comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm a big guy, and I've been looking for a saddle that relieves pressure in "that area" for some time. Now that I have put 150 miles on this saddle, I can say I found it. Cheap, too! Unfortunately I think the materials are a bit on the cheap side as well. I don't expect it to last years and years, but at these prices I can afford to swap it out of the fabric splits.

Like others, the decals are peeling off of mine quickly, but that's OK. I would rather it didn't have big bright logos against the black material. The important thing is, my big wide butt fits on this saddle just right: it tucks up and supports the sit bones without pressing in on "that area" and making things sore or worse, numb.

If they made this in a more durable material I would never buy another saddle ever.
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
An absolute must buy, and I'll tell you why:

Whenever I heard about a link between impotence and biking, I always had the wrong idea about what the connection was. It's actually that you're sitting on your perenium to ride, which, when crushed under average weight (which it is not supposed to bear), keeps blood from getting to your nads, over time making one impotent.

Now that I saved you an embarrassing trip to Wikipedia, you can see why these split-seat designs save (unborn) lives.

It's not about @$$ pain - I can handle that. But when I realized that pain was something else, I didn't want it anymore. Not even for a second. With this seat, I have not once thought I was doing the important part of my body any damage, and for that I recommend it.

Other great things: Price and looks (especially after you rub the labels off).
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2007
Over the years, I've owned everything from Selle San Marco to Specialized Body Geometry, and this seat is seriously the most comfortable seat I've ever owned. If you're looking for the lightest seat around, this isn't it; mine weighs 390 grams. But if you want to be comfortable for hours on end, buy this seat. I can't recommend it enough. I do my best to keep my mountain bike under 20lbs., so I've saved weight elsewhere to make up for the extra grams of this seat and it's totally worth it. I plan on buying the women's version for my wife soon, too.
11 comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2008
After miles of bike riding, there were no numb spots. The deep channel made huge difference. Seat was slightly wider than I'd like, but the trade off was worth having no numbness.
on July 9, 2011
I have had this bike seat for a little over a month now and it isn't too bad.

When I first received the product, I was pleased with the appearance. It was shorter, length wise, than the stock seat for my road bike but did the advertised job. There was no longer any pressure on my perineum. UNFORTUNATELY, like other reviewers have stated, it places a tremendous amount of pressure on your sit bones. This can be easily rectified by pushing your butt back but it does change the way you ride. Anything over 10 miles of riding tends to irritate my bottom a bit. Short distance riding is fine but I would invest in cycling shorts for anything over 15 miles.

This seat also puts a bit more pressure on your wrists and hands so beware.
on May 3, 2015
Best, why you ask? Well, first of all it's has the cut out to vent you underneath which functionality speaking really is for ergonomics reasoning which works. Cushioning is just right (it's koosh son) compared to those sorry saddles most bikes come with. I'll never look back I throw my old sorry saddle so far Yoda couldn't even find it. Nah, 4realz tho if your looking for a ergonomic saddle, excellent cushioning qualities, adjustability and function. Then the A.R.S Classic from Planet Bike is the one to go with hands down trust me. Finally, found something my bumm's not bum'd about. ithankyou, wait we thank you;)
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on December 21, 2010
I shopped around for a saddle and after seeing the prices out there, I was starting to wonder if I really needed a new saddle. Then I ran across this one, read the reviews and with the price, I figured I would give it a try. It was the right choice! I love the saddle...it has added comfort to my rides, without feeling "too big." I'm a big man, (6'3" 280lbs), so comfort is a big issue for me in a sport that is designed for people half my size. and this saddle delivered! Within a few weeks of getting this I was able to go on a 4 hour ride. I never would have survived that ride with my old saddle.

The one issue is the logos on it are a bit dorky, but the good news is that they fall off after a couple of rides!

Since this seat worked out so well, I have gone on to buy some other Plant Bike stuff (lights, etc) and I love them all. Great value for the prices they charge. Nice to see a company provide some good products in a sport where most of the stuff is so overpriced!