5.0 out of 5 stars Better than advertised
Published on January 28, 2012 by Adam Solomon

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted only 5-6 rides
The covers worked great until my 5th or 6th ride with them. The vinyl on the bottom spit between the hole for the cleat and the middle of my foot. They still work but will not stay aligned so the vinyl gets in the way of the cleat.
Published 18 months ago by J Pugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than advertised, January 28, 2012
Adam Solomon (Brookline, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm really impressed with the Dasher toe covers. They are intended for use in autumnal weather, but I've worn them for my commute in December and January here in the Boston area. Coupled with MTB shoes, thick socks, and chemical hand warmers, they've helped keep my feet comfortable in temperatures down to 13F. Additionally, they really are water proof. I've ridden in some torrential rain and my toes have come through dry. And that means at least some part of me was dry. There is, of course, some wicking of water onto your foot from the exposed fabric of your sock if you aren't wearing a shoe or a boot that covers the ankle.

In extremely cold weather I do find that the wind seems to find a way of chilling my feet just a bit when I'm wearing the Dasher toe covers. Having said that, I can say that before I had them my feet would go entirely numb on very cold mornings. Now, they just get a bit chilled. It's been a big improvement for me.

I particularly like how you can get your shoe on and off without removing the toe covers. If you wish to remove them, putting them back on is easy enough.

You do have to cut holes in the bottom of the toe covers for your cleats. There are pre-scored shapes to cut for SPD or larger cleats. I was somewhat apprehensive at having to do this, but it turned out to be simple to do without damaging the cover.

So far I've worn them for about 360 miles of winter bike commuting. They've withstood day to day usage fairly well and seem like they are robustly constructed. The reflective piping is kind of vestigial and I would not rely on it for visibility. I wear ankle reflectors of both legs for night riding (in addition to a white headlight and red rear lights). It would be great if they were made of entirely reflective material.

They are good toe covers and I'm very glad to have purchased them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ..., October 27, 2012
Loren (Bethesda, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Bike Dasher Toe Covers (Sports)
I got a pair of these and really like the heel band to keep the covers on the shoe. I use these over some mountain bike shoes (size large cover over size 42 Mtb shoes) and they cover the toes well. This seems consistent with my experience that you need to buy one size when fitting covers or booties over non-road bike shoes. The covers also are a little larger than the pearl Izumi toe covers and cover more of the front foot. This keeps your toes warmer, and I need a variety of foot protection for year-round commuting, so these fit a good niche for cold mornings but warm afternoons.

On the other hand, the cutouts (pre-marked to connect to SPD or Look pedals) on the bottom of the covers were a little confusing, as both of the covers are labeled with a large L on the rubber bottom below the cleat cutout. I thought that I might have gotten a returned pair that was improperly packaged with two left covers, but turns out these are just poorly labeled as the covers are clearly different with the logo on the outside and cutout patterns that work well for the right and left shoes. I did slip a little when using a box cutter to cut the bottom, so the corner got ripped, but hasn't been a problem so far. I think it would be better if they pre-cut the bottoms for spd pedals and then they could make the bottoms a little more durable. My experience is that these shoe covers wear quickly no matter what when you have to walk in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for toe clips, February 2, 2012
These toe covers attach with a strap around your heel, unlike most others which attach around the cleats under your bike shoes. That's great, unles you don't use clipless pedals. I use half (strapless) toe clips and the other kind kept falling off my shoes because I don't have cleats. So if you use toe clips, or nothing, these toe covers will stay on your shoes (bike shoes or regular) and keep your toes nice and toasty. I've worn them down to around 39 degrees and my feet were still comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my commuter shoes - and doesn't add excess weight, February 5, 2013
I did a lot of looking around before selecting these toe covers. (blah - blah - blah) They are great for protecting my toes from the wind on cold morning rides. I got these to wear with my commuter/mountain bike shoes. They fit my size 45s accommodating the bottom tread just fine. They block the wind. They don't weight a lot. (I have neoprene booties for cold wet days - but they fail in most of the areas the Dashers excel.) They are very easy to remove and put on. The have a nice rubberize bottom that stands up to standing and short walking. The bottom tread had cutout guides with slightly built up area to reinforce around where material is removed. They work with my Crank Bros Candy pedals nicely. I sometimes have to do a push forward to keep the bottoms from getting in the way of the cleat/pedal interface when clipping in. I will probably buy a second pair because I like them so much. Also to protect against potential "improvements" by their marketing department.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, November 6, 2012
I received these a few weeks ago and have ridden with them several times. Their best feature is they are thicker and more substantial than most toe covers. I have ridden with these in temperatures from 50 all the way down to 30. Anything lower than that you will certainly need booties. If your toes get cold easily then you might want to go to booties earlier. Most toe covers I have used are much thinner and I have to put on booties much sooner. They have thick bottoms so if you wear mountain bike shoes they wont wear through easily. Great set of toe covers, highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent, April 8, 2014
One of the better toe covers I have found. But still lacks in durability, which seems to be the case with a lot of toe and shoe covers I've used. They do an excellent job of blocking wind and repelling water splashes. But after approximately 10 uses the stitches are coming out and the elastic is getting warped.

5.0 out of 5 stars XL is perfect for my size 45 Lake MTB shoes, March 21, 2014
XL is perfect for my size 45 Lake MTB shoes - easy to put on and remove, enough traction for walking around, keep my toes warm when commuting in 30-40's F on a nerdly recumbent bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and light, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Planet Bike Dasher Toe Covers (Sports)
It's not an insulation to keep the feet warm. It's just a thin layer of wind blocker and it does the job.

There is a bit of leftover fabric at the tip as if it's made for pointed shoes. I don't know of any bicycle shoes with pointed tip. It kind of gets in the way but not too bad. Considering the price, it's not something to complain about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feet are toasty and dry now., February 9, 2013
fil (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
Super quick and easy. I throw these in my bag and pull them out when the weather changes. Windproof is the best!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted only 5-6 rides, January 8, 2013