Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Color: Silver|Change

on June 22, 2009
I love this computer. I really wanted a 4-line screen for a reasonable price. I already had a wireless one with 4 lines on my other bike, but I like the screen layout on this one so much better. Line 1 has the current speed. Line 2 shows the ride time. Line 3 shows the ride distance. These first three lines are static and never change. Line 4 can cycle through the clock, average speed & max speed, and odometer. So, in one screen, I get all the info I really need. The screen is clear and easy to read. The mount is pretty good too - it comes with three different sized rubber shims so you should be able to get it to fit pretty much any handlebar width. I installed this on a 2008 Fuji Roubaix which I think just has standard-sized road drop handlebars. Installation was pretty easy, although not as easy as a wireless computer since you have to deal with the excess connecting wire. This is really no big deal, and it will pay off long term since you only have to worry about 1 battery, instead of the 2 on a wireless system. Plus, since it's wired, I never have to worry about interference if I'm riding with friends. Don't waste your money on the 2-line screens from the more popular brands that are more money. This one does everything you need!

I was surprised to read some of the other drawbacks mentioned in other reviews:
1) the battery connection is not tight, and keeps resetting the settings. I have not had this problem over the 2-3 months I have owned it.
2) The push button makes it too easy to reset the timers. I don't have a problem with this, but can see how this might be a problem. To change the display screen, you have to push the whole computer forward. A quick push, and Line 4 changes to a different statistic. If you hold it forward during a push for about two secs, it will reset the ride distance and timer. While sitting still, this will never be a problem. But, while riding, I can see how it might be easy to hold it too long, and accidentally reset the timers. On the flip side, I never need to switch the display screen since the main screen has all the facts I need (current speed, ride time, ride distance, clock).
3) Computer falls out of mount after hitting big bumps. I have mine on a road bike, so I'm not really hitting major bumps. I can't gauge how it would hold on a mountain bike that is hitting all kinds of nasty terrain. But, I will admit that the way the computer sits in the harness is not really well done. Planet Bike should probably redesign this to have some kind of latch that the user has to bend to remove the computer.

Bottom line: I highly recommend this computer.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2007
The basics of this unit are great. More info, less button pushing and simple design. The bad parts are that the construction is not quite as solid or stable as I would like. The cable it comes with is burley & thick, which is nice, the construction is decent, but it cannot handle rough use. Every time mine fell to the ground it went blank and I has to reset everything. Turns out, the battery clips inside were too lose and the battery was moving. I bent the clips to really pinch the battery and that seems to fix the problem. Also, it resets the trip meter and such very easily, as others have noted. If you push it to scroll through the screens and hold it just a little too long, it resets everything. Also, in my pocket I often pull it out to find it reset.
Have been using this Planet Bike Protegé 8.0 Cyclometer for almost five years now, and it hasn't failed me yet. Bought it here in 2007 for my mountain bike after looking at a few different models, and decided that its eight functions were all that I needed. As far as longevity goes, it's now on its second bike, so that says something.

◆ Likes:

+ Easy setup; clear instructions with illustrations included with unit
+ LCD display is easy to read at a glance; current speed shows in larger digits
+ Speedometer in mph or Kph; displays 0-99.9 mph/Kph in increments of 0.1 mph/Kph
+ Displays ride time; RTM up to 9:59:59 in increments of 1 second
+ Displays ride distance; DST up to 999.99 M or K in increments of 0.01 M or K
+ Displays odometer (total); ODO up to 999.99 M or K in increments of 0.01 M or K
+ Dual wheel sizes; unit can be switched between two different bikes
+ Additional user functions can be selected
+ Odometer is extremely accurate

◆ Dislikes:

- Odometer displays cumulative distance for both bike 1 and bike 2; wish they could be separated

◆ On the Fence:

± Battery connection could be tighter; keeps resetting the stored settings

◆ In Use:

There's a lot to like with this Protegé 8.0 cycling computer. It displays current speed in larger digits at the upper right of the LCD display, and there are functions such as speed comparator, ride time, trip distance, dual odometer (for two wheel sizes, meaning different bikes), average speed, maximum speed and a clock. The 4-line LCD displays up to five separate pieces of data at a glance.

Setup was easy, and the unit included all of the hardware needed, along with a wire mounting kit for front wheel. It took about fifteen minutes to completely install the Protegé 8.0 and program the necessary adjustments for the wheel size settings (WSS) into the unit. After that it was just to get on the bike and ride.

It should be noted that this computer uses a readily available CR2032 Lithium battery, and it lasts for about 18 to 24 months before it's needs replacement. You'll need to write down your odometer mileage before replacing the battery, then enter the old odometer reading after you've installed the new battery, and this is an easy process. Be aware that the battery connections are a bit loose, so you may need to gently bend the clips to insure a good connection.

◆ Noteworthy:

Planet Bike offers an excellent online product/instruction manual which is handy for those of us who have lost or misplaced the one that came with the cycling computer, as sometimes happens. You can find it on the Product Details page listed as "Planet Bike Protege 8.0 Product Manual [PDF]." It's a nice touch.

I've had more expensive (and more fragile) cycling computers over the years, and this is the first one that I've had that has lasted for almost five years as of this writing, so I'm satisfied with this unit. If this cyclometer ever dies, will probably replace it with the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless unit, if only for the fact that the wireless technology eliminates the hassle of the wires, which can become damaged while riding under adverse conditions.

◆ Summary:

If you're looking for a reasonably priced cycling computer, this Planet Bike Protegé 8.0 Cyclometer has proven itself to be very reliable over a period of years. It has a limited lifetime warranty, and from personal experience with this company, they back it up. Other than the points noted in my review, this Protegé 8.0 is a 4-star product that doesn't disappoint.

9/4/2012
on May 6, 2007
This add so much to my rides. It is fun to try to best your time and average speed!

The computer itself is barebones and simple to use. It is durable and just works well! The price is reasonable and I recommend it highly!
on June 16, 2012
Item worked as promised for about a year (hence the five stars) and then would only display the time while all the other outputs read as zeros. I tried adjusting the sensor but got nothing. I was about to buy another, when I got the inspiration to put a 3/8 inch rare earth disc magnet on the spoke magnet in the hopes that the added gauss would compensate for any sensor misalignment or weakness. Worked like a charm.
on March 9, 2016
Problems; 1. The unit resets very easy, 2. the display is not very intuitive, most resets to "0" instead of blank witch is easier to read. 3. The sensor should come with tw levels of raisers to accommodate mounting on MTB and road bikes i had to reduce the gap between the sensor and the magnet 3 times before it started working, still i don't know if the distance is correct. 4. No back-light making the unit impossible to read at night

Pro; 1. Great price. 2. Lots of metrics; you get distance, time, speed, max speed, average speed, a arrow pointing up or down to indicate if you're traveling above or below the average speed, time of day ( always on ) odometer ( total distance ) adjustable to all wheels circumference. 3. built is good and design is appealing, it doesn't look out of place or cheap.
on September 25, 2015
I love it when it works, but I'm on my third one now. Each of the first two lasted one year before dying. I use it every day, rain or shine, but it doesn't seem to be as weather-resistant as advertised. I've purchased a number of Planet Bike products now, and my impression is that Planet Bike is a fantastic company with wonderful customer service. It's always worth considering their products.
on September 15, 2015
Planet Bike makes wonderful bike computers. I love that several functions are displayed at the same
time, especially both time and distance traveled. Also, the auto shut off is a real convenience. The
displays are large and easy to read, even when pedaling. Small and light and a reasonable price are
all pluses.
on February 28, 2012
The primary selling feature of this computer is the unique multiline display. I love having all relevant info available at one glance without having to mess with buttons while riding. The text seems large enough to read at a glance. I didn't see other products with this design, so I definitely recommend the product for this feature.

The only shortcoming in this product's design is that the function button (used to reset trip meters or switch the 4th display line between clock, averages, etc.) is integrated into the housing such that you push the entire casing forward to activate it. What that means is that the entire computer literally slides in the mount. The rubbing plastic action isn't particularly smooth, and I wish they had just put a regular button on the lower bottom edge of the housing instead. This strange design does leave the impression that the computer is not held as securely as one would like, although I have not observed any danger of the computer working loose from the mount during my 1 month of road/path riding. So, unless you find another product with as good a display, I would not consider this shortcoming a deal-breaker.
on November 19, 2014
I bought this to replace one identical to it. They have a lifetime warranty, but I didn't have the proper documentation to get the other one, which just quit working, replaced. Good, basic bike computer.