Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

Color: whiteChange

on March 4, 2009
I have bought many different toy balls for my 100 pound German Shepherd and he has destroyed each and every one (usually within 24 hours). When i opened the box and first looked at this ball i thought for sure it would suffer the same fate as the others. Instead, it has proven to be very much the opposite. Looking closer at the design I understand now why it is so durable. The design allows the ball to compress when my dog bites it then it springs back into shape and it is made of some strong material. This ball is not the hard and bouncy type that a dog loses interest because they cant chew on it. It is actually a softer and lighter material and is hollow inside and has a more controlled bounce. My dog has absolutely loved it and he is constantly using it. If you have a big dog and have not been able to find a ball they like with some durability, You should absolutely try this one out.
2 months of use and it is still holding strong.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2011
If you have a dog, large or small, a chewer or not, old with bad teeth or a chew-hardy puppy, buy this toy. Don't flinch, and don't you dare whine about the price. You could buy $100 worth of tennis balls, and leave them broken, torn, and ruined at the park and in the trash. And your dog wouldn't like them half as much as this one ball that will outlast everything else in his toy basket. I hope I am being clear, and don't leave you wondering... Here's the story about Sandy and his favourite ball -

Our dog was our foster dog before he was cleared for adoption and adopted us, much to our delight. He had been hit by a car and had a shattered lower jaw. "Take care of this 6 month old lab mix puppy, but don't let him put anything in his mouth"... right! He had pins from the jaw bone out to a thick metal rod that held the pins stable to allow the bone to heal, like braces through the skin down to the bone. Sounds gory, but it did (eventually!) heal, and after 6 months of soup-like food and no toys, or chewing, or anything in his mouth, he was cleared by the vet to be the puppy he wanted to be and chew safely. You can imagine that he is making up for lost time... and boy does he love to chew! But that bone is still not as strong as it would have been if never broken, so I don't like him chewing on anything really hard, like a tennis ball, or a hard rubber ball, or any of the other balls I found out there. He wants to fetch and run, so a soft, stuffed or fuzzy ball won't do. They just won't fly or bounce right.

Then, the heavens parted and I found this ball. (Also, these comments apply to the ball made by a division of Planet Dog, called 'gus' which is almost the same ball, but doesn't glow, is in a lime green colour, same minty, bouncy, squeezy idea.)

This ball flies like a tennis ball, bounces like a rubber ball, loads into a wand to throw it a very long way, and has a hole to make it a treat dispenser. It is as though it was made specifically for my Sandy. It crushes and squeezes easily, so I don't worry about too much strain on his jaw. It tastes minty and he loves licking, carrying and chewing on it. It washes clean like a dream, inside and out, so I can get the mud and crud off it after the park. It is soft enough to play inside without marking walls or breaking anything - and yes, it has been rebounded off the tv screen more than once. I wish I had bought a barrel of these, Everyone who sees it wants one, and at the dog park, any dog nearby takes it for a spin and a chew. It has been 3 months of daily play and abuse and it is like brand new, except the adorable printed message washed off the gus ball - "I dig the earth".

I want to leave a rating for this ball that is 13 out of 5. It is a fetch ball, a launcher-wand ball, a play-by-yourself ball, a chew toy, a treat dispenser, an indoor toy, an outdoor toy, a washable toy, a flavoured toy, a quiet-time toy, a rowdy-play toy, a whistling ball, a floating water toy. Sorry if I left any out. The only thing this toy isn't is stuffed.... unless you stuff it with peanut-butter!
on July 1, 2008
It is easier to get my dog to go potty if I throw a ball but at night, of course he can not see it. A glow in the dark ball is the solution. And this one is great. Glows well, stands up to his strong jaws and teeth and chewing, and whistles when you throw it which is kinda cool!
on June 23, 2012
I purchased one of the larger toys. It is a pink planet dog orbee toy that said "venus." That toy is amazing and has lasted my lab/pit mix three months so far without any indications of wear. I purchased this little ball (expecting it to be just as amazing) but I left the room for about three minutes after i gave him the toy and came back to it in shreds. I would highly recommend the venus orbee but NOT this one.
on May 12, 2011
Totally awesome ball. Bouncy and chewey and no sign of damage after serious chewing time; and my guys can destroy almost anything. Way fun. Buy it.
on July 10, 2012
This is the best ball I have ever had for my dogs. Unlike other balls, it STAYS FLEXIBLE for a good long time. No sign of losing flexibility at all in our older balls. Glow in the dark is handy. The ball whistles when you throw it, but THERE IS NO WHISTLTER/SQUEAKER IN THE BALL TO BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR DOG. Instead the ball has a hole in it that makes the whistling sound. I have all sorts of balls in the yard, but these balls are my dog's favorites. Other balls we have purchased have lost their flexibility within a couple of months and/or I wind up disposing of them due to squeakers being a hazard.

I was afraid this ball would be too small for our 85 pound retriever mix, but they are plenty big enough to be safe, and he loves them.

Don't waste your money on cheaper balls which wear out so quickly. These are actually a money saver because they LAST, maintain their durability, and whistle. For sure, when I am looking for toys for my dog I will try other Planet Dog Orbee Tuff products. These balls are the very best.
on November 11, 2012
We are fairly pleased with this item but really you can only find it in the dark if you shine a torch on it. There is definitely room for improvement with this product - and owners of ball mad dogs I'm sure would agree as the nights have drawn in...we need to be able to find the ball!!
on September 9, 2012
This is a very sturdy ball, a little smaller than a tennis ball, but without the easy to remove and swallow fuzz. I had some misgivings at first, due to its size and squishability, but it's held up well to my 70lb lab/aussie. The ball bounces high, fits perfectly in a ball launcher, and is easy to find in tall grass. I has 2 holes in it. One a little over half an inch, the other a little under. I pushed a long rawhide chew through the holes and gave it to my elderly malamute mix, which helped him grip onto it a little better. We lost track of the first one, so I bought a second. It's been well worth the price. The dozen or so tennis balls I've gotten have lasted less than a couple days each, but this heavy duty ball has been going strong since March.
on May 4, 2011
We got this to replace a Buddy Ball we bought at WalMart a few years ago. Our dog is a chewer, so we bought several to see which one she liked the best. So far, she loves this one! It is smaller that the Buddy Ball was, it glows in the dark, it bounces a little strangely, and when you throw it hard, it makes a whirring sound because of the hole through the middle. The only problem we've had so far is that she wants to play with it so much that she brings it inside, where it tends to get lost under sofas and behind dust pans. But she loves it!
on August 6, 2012
I bought this toy for my 3 month old puppy, and as soon as I showed it to him it became his favourite toy. It bounces, it's flexible, and it fits his mouth just right. Each time he has to go outside he finds the ball and takes it with him. It's easy to rinse clean in seconds, it smells good, and if it rolls somewhere inside and you can't find it, just turn off the light and follow the glow.