5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, positive take on green cleaning
Karen Noonan Logan has put together an extremely useful, honest recipe book for green cleaning products.
It is honest in that she rates the effectiveness of each formula provided, and not all of them are 95s or 100s (comparable to commercial cleaners). In fact, there are several in the book that aren't that effective, but at least they don't poison you...
Published on April 18, 2000 by R. A. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, but redundant
While I recommend buying this book and trying out all the recipes, I don't recommend going wild all at once like I did.
Published on September 29, 2003 by Penny Thoughtful

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, positive take on green cleaning, April 18, 2000
This review is from: Clean House Clean Planet (Silhouette Special Edition; Silhouette Special Editions Silh) (Paperback)
However, the majority of her recipes *are* effective and very easy to make. Logan writes matter-of-factly, but with a positive style. It's not like reading a textbook or cookbook at all; you are entertained as you read.
There is a broad enough range of recipes that you can clean nearly anything, but not so many that you can't figure out which recipe to make for which cleaning job.
In contrast, I found that Annie Berthold-Bond's book "Clean and Green" was too cluttered by a confusing array of recipes, some of which are so specialized many people will probably never use them. Also, her writing style is far too dry to really be enjoyable.
If you really, really need a weird stain out of your clothes and don't want to reach for the bleach or stain stick, you may want to pick up "Clean and Green." But for just cleaning floors, tile, windows, etc. it is *much* easier to use the simple, multi-purpose recipes in "Clean House, Clean Planet."

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, but redundant, September 29, 2003
The basic message of the book is this: Clean your windows and mirrors with plain club soda. Clean everything else with one or more of the following: baking soda, vinegar, Dr. Bronner's soap, or distilled water. The trick is to scent your baking soda or vinegar with a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
The cool thing about the book is that it gives detailed recipes for exactly what proportions of these main ingredients (plus a few others) work best to clean each different thing in your house, and it goes into some detail about what spray and squirt bottles work best, too. It's very practical and useful and I learned some new things from reading it (did you know that in the United States, you can't legally say that tea tree oil is a disinfectant?).
Unfortunately, she does repeat herself a lot, and she encourages you to buy more than you really need. WAY more. You won't save any money at all if you buy all the things she suggests you buy! I would say start out with one gallon of vinegar, one or two boxes of baking soda, one or two essential oils, some distilled water if you don't already have it, and maybe some Dr. Bronner's if you can afford it (you can use regular hand dishwashing liquid for most of these recipes). Spray bottles are nice, too, but I had a hard time finding the right size.
Back to the merits and un-merits of the book: The Table of Contents and the Index are well organized, but the book itself isn't quite so much. It would help so much if the topic headings on each page pointed to what was actually on that page instead of giving a general chapter name. If you're trying to look up a particular recipe, it can take a long time to find.
In conclusion, this is a good book that I definitely recommend buying. I love being able to clean nontoxically and this book is a huge help. I just wish I had bought a lot less stuff at the outset.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful find, February 15, 2005
I stumbled upon this book when I was searching for recipes for homemade cleansers that were also inexpensive. Truthfully, the whole toxicity issue didn't even cross my mind until I took a closer look at the book and reviews. I don't have children, but I do have a very curious dog who tracks in all sorts of dirt and loves to smell and (usually) lick everything he explores. It's very comforting to know that the cleaners I am now using are non-toxic. I also often wondered, "if *I* think this stuff smells strong and nasty, imagine what my dog and his superior sense of smell thinks of it!"

The book was fun and interesting to read. It's amazing that commercial cleansers don't have to list all of their ingredients. I also appreciated the author's honesty--pointing out things that are suspected and not proven, and even rating how well her cleaners work when compared to those you buy at the store. I agree with other reviewers that the recipes could have been laid out differently and can be hard to go back and find.

The recipes are very easy to put together and use ingredients that are easy to find. They also work!! Who knew that vinegar and water in a spray bottle would make cleaning the bathroom floors a million times easier and more pleasant. Or that baking soda would make my sinks sparkle. I've truly enjoyed reading the book and using the author's recipes.

Update (1/28/07): It's been nearly two years since I wrote my original review and I wanted to add that I'm still using the recipies, and love them more than ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy recipes!, April 18, 2001
J Trevitt-Parker (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My friend and I made most of the major recipes in this book in the course of a few hours! We found all the ingredients at the market, health food store and Target. We both went home and cleaned our houses top to bottom and were amazed at the results. I thought for sure the glass cleaner wouldn't work - boy, was I surprised! I have since bought several copies of the book to give away to friends and family. My friends with young children really love the recipes! Most importantly for me, these products smell divine! I feel like I am perfuming my house rather than cleaning. My kitchen smells softly of lemons, and my bathroom has a lovely, light, lavender aroma. From now on I'm cleaning the natural, non-toxic, better smelling way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read, Easy to Implement and Refreshing to Use!, June 9, 2000
Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan is one of the best books I've read recently! Ms. Logan discusses why you should switch, what is in the commercial cleaners found in the store, how to put together the essentials for green cleaning and how to make your own homemade cleaners. However, she goes above and beyond most authors. Ms. Logan explains the recipe's effectiveness and compares the costs of the particular recipe with the commercial alternative.
What I like most about this book is the recipes -they are inexpensive, easy and *effective*. Moreover, with or without the use of the essential oils she recommends, they leave your home smelling fresh! Perhaps the most effective suggestion I've tried is "Hollywood Bowl" and a pumice stick. Together, they elminated a toilet bowl ring that has plagued me for months. Now, if Ms. Logan could help me wipe out the mold and mildew on my bath tiles, this book would be perfect!
Overall, Clean House, Clean Planet is a must for every home. Fun to read, easy to implement, and refreshing to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, clear guide to cleaning safely., September 25, 2001
I purchased this book along with another, larger book on this topic by a well-known author of books on the subject. I had assumed that I would learn more from the other book and that this would be a supplement. I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only is this book concise and easy to read, but Karen Logan explains the chemistry behind what makes combinations of ingredients work...or fail. This is critical to success with cleaning products of this nature. Because of her recipes, I have won my husband over to the efficacy of natural cleaning products. He always assumed they just didn't work. Additionally, she does not recommend the use of toxic ingredients (such as LYE! recommended in the other text when making soap!!) in any cleaners, so I don't worry about doing more harm than good. This book has paid for itself several times over. A very good read and an excellent investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and effective cleaning receipes are enjoyable to use!, March 31, 1999
I was thrilled to stumble across Karen Logan's book shortly after my son was born. I started to avoid cleaning because I detested using most household cleaners due to the harsh chemicals. I was also very concerned about my son's second-hand exposure or worse - possible direct contact. Karen's book educated me about the hazards of commericial cleaners and then taught me how to make my own simple and safe cleaners right in my kitchen. This information showed me that harsh cleaners are unnecessary and more important what natural products would produce similar results. Making my own products is also entertaining and educational for my toddler who is now able to "help" clean and I don't waste precious naptime on toilet bowls and bath tubs! Her receipes are very easy to follow and are effective!!! I gave away all my commericial products almost two years ago and have not gone back to one of them. It's so comforting to know that my family is no longer exposed to harmful cleaners and we are doing our part in protecting the environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good stuff!, June 4, 2004
Effulgent (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
If you have ever wondered about the effects of cleaning chemicals in your home and whether they are harmful, I would highly recommend this book. This book is basically a "cookbook" of recipes that feature products that clean your home. All of the recipes are made using non-toxic cleaners such as vinegar, baking soda, vegetable castille soap, distilled water, and essential oils for fragrances. They have homemade recipes for things such as Multi-use cleaner ("409"-style), hardwood floor cleaner, "Soft Scrub", toilet cleaner, "Comet", "Endust", "Windex", etc.

I've been making my own cleaners for two years now, and EVERY CLEANER that I have made from recipes in the book worked as well as promised. I wish I would have found this book years ago. I follow the recipes closely, and used Peppermint and Eucalyptus Oil for the scents and it worked well. When I first started making soaps, I could not find a source to buy Dr. Bronner's soaps, so I used Mrs. Meyer's Lemon Verbena All-Purpose Cleaner and that worked well for the liquid soap in the recipes. However, now that I have found a place to buy Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in bulk (Whole Foods), I use it almost exclusively in the recipes.

I was really amazed that the cleaners worked as well as they did. I use the Vinegar Mop recipe with peppermint oil on EVERYTHING! It cleans so much! And the scent lingers on and on. It is amazing that these recipes worked so well. Their "Soft Scrub" recipe (called "Earth Scrub") in the book even scrubbed rust stains out of my toilet bowl! It worked amazing in the kitchen sink, and made it as shiny as Comet. The Vinegar spray that is used as a mop rinse helped my floors be the cleanest that they have been in years, and it worked wonderfully as a counter cleaner and cabinet door cleaner as well.

In addition to recipes, they also give hints on how to clean house better and more economically, such as cutting up T-Shirts and using them as rags. They really do work!

These recipes are very simple and work very well. I really enjoy the process of making my own cleaners. I was able to find affordable containers for the cleaners at my local Container Store. Although the start-up price was slightly higher than buying commercial products, the refills are dirt cheap because all I have to buy is the baking soda and vinegar, and the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in bulk. I'm able to use the oils and containers that I already own, as the oils last for a VERY long time. And the smell is SO much cleaner and longer-lasting than the commercial products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful alternative recipes for cleaning your home!, July 24, 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book merely to try and save money. I read this book through and then read it again. The author really knows her stuff. The recipes are easy to make and really work. I have to say that I now enjoy scrubbing the toilet and tub. These cleaners are safe and nontoxic- they smell wonderfull. My 4 year old daughter loves to help me clean. This book has saved us money and changed my life in regards to cleanliness. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, August 16, 2003
Lanie Forgy (Leawood Kansas) - See all my reviews
I own a Cleaning Company in Kansas called Babe on a Broom. I hired a new girl recently that told me about this book. I have read it from cover to cover. I have bought all the ingredients to make the products. We used some of them today while cleaning a house that is for sale in our neighborhood. All I can say is, this book is the best kept secret and should be on the best seller list. The products are fantastic. Most are made with ingredients that everyone has in their homes anyway. The local health food store had all that I did not have. I have been using commercial cleaning products that I buy wholesale by the case. They are good but the chemicals and the smells have some adverse effects on me and my staff. I am looking forward to their comments after they use my home made products. The scents that we used are so clean and refreshing. Thanks Karen for a wonderful book. I would very much like to talk to you in person. The number on the back cover of the book is no longer in service.

$16.00 $13.02