5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Hilarious...
Tim Carvell is either a very gifted twelve-year old writer or an adult with a vivid memory of being twelve years old. His novel "Planet Tad" is hilarious - I found myself laughing out loud throughout.

Published on August 26, 2012 by delicateflower152

3.0 out of 5 stars very worldly book
Published on August 7, 2012 by Wayne S. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Hilarious..., August 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Tad has his year mapped out - he will write a blog; survive seventh grade; and be noticed, in a good way, by a girl. "Planet Tad" is his diary-like blog; each day's tragedies and triumphs are logged. Whether Tad is dealing with his precocious, deviously clever little sister Sophie or scheming with his friend Chuck, his observations are both pointed and funny.

Tim Carvell has genuinely captured the wit and spirit of the twelve-year old blogger throughout "Planet Tad." I was particularly pleased to see Carvell did not resort to profanity or off-color language in his writing of "Planet Tad". This is a book that parents can give to their young readers without hesitation. The ARC had roughed-out cartoon illustrations; even these added to the overall enjoyable reading experience.

Recommended for ages 8 - 12 and grades 3 - 7, "Planet Tad" may be a bit advanced for the lower end of the age range. On the other hand, parents in search of a genuinely funny book and in need of a laugh should not hesitate to read "Planet Tad" themselves. Five-star funny and a book I will definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle school readers will love this!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Planet Tad (Hardcover)
I am a middle school librarian and read many, many books written to appeal to adolescents. Many writers fall short in this category -- too many fart jokes, too much thinly-veiled grown-up advice, or too much of s focus on the "popular kids vs the rest of the world" storyline. I understand these pitfalls -- middle schoolers are a tough audience. Middle school boys are in a particularly difficult place because they are often branded as "reluctant readers" just because they haven't found the right book yet. However, I'm quite certain that this is their book. Planet Tad has just the right amount of adolescent humor, well-masked adult wisdom, and characters for whom kids will not only find themselves cheering, but also wanting to befriend. This is a perfect read-alike for Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the Dork Diaries, and the Big Nate series because of the similar formats. However, I wouldn't limit my recommendation of this book to kids who like the short scene/diary format of those titles, though. I plan to purchase several copies of this and recommend it widely. When does the sequel come out?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Next Step Beyond Greg Heffley and the Wimpy Kid Books, July 15, 2014
Pop Bop "Pause and Reflect" (Denver, Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Planet Tad (Kindle Edition)
This book is set up as a blog by our hero Tad, so it consists of hundreds of half page bits. Recurring themes, characters, and events establish a plot of sorts over the course of the book, but the primary pleasure is in just the various random diary style bits. And they are very good, and what you get is basically a year in the life of a deadpan, funny regular kid.

If you were to take the observational humor of a stand up comic and give it the weird cerebral twist you get from someone like Steven Wright, and then add a seventh grade version of the Jon Stewart Show what-the-heck? sensibility you'd have a pretty good sense of how this reads. (The author is a writer for Stewart and this book started as a column in MAD magazine, so there you go.) It's not snarky; there's no drama; we're not talking compelling social issues or any agenda. Rather, it's funny, it's insightful, and it zeroes in on topics that pertain to seventh graders, (diagramming sentences in English class, the old take-home-an-egg-and-pretend it's-a-baby experience, wanting to need to shave, girls). Because it has a seventh grader sensibility sharpened and filtered through an adult's sense of comedic timing and phrasing it is tight, crisp and usually hits the mark. There are no lazy fart jokes and, at least to me, no false notes or missteps.

This seems like a book that would appeal to a wide range of readers. Younger kids will get enough of the humor, targeted tweens will see a lot that they recognize, and older readers will appreciate how far they've come. As an adult I got a few chuckles and a chance to admire the author's skill at channeling a funny perceptive seventh grader. As noted above, you can say much the same about the wimpy Kids books, except they seem aimed a bit younger and don't seem quite as hip/savvy. That's mostly why I sense this book would be a next step for an admirer of the Wimpy books.

In any event, the book is amusing, fairly realistic in the unrealistic way of these middle grade humor books, and very good natured. Sounds like an attractive, entertaining and diverting read to me. I liked it.

Please note that I found this book while browsing in the local library. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious book for middle school crowd, August 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first glance, Planet Tad looks like another Diary of a Wimpy Kid wannabe-- blog entries with silly sketches. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is a really funny book! It follows Tad for an entire year as he blogs about his daily happenings and random thoughts that pop into his head. There is no main plot, just smaller subplots throughout the year. When the book begins, Tad is in the 7th grade. He lives with his parents and younger sister Sophie. He has a couple friends at school but isn't popular and doesn't get noticed by girls. Tad isn't a troublemaker, but he has a great sense of humor. Here are a few of my favorite lines-
his sister decides to be an angel for Halloween. "Mom and dad got kinda mad at me when I looked at her costume and said, 'You know, another way of looking at it is that you're going as a dead kid."

Tad gets a summer job at a hot dog stand..as the mascot. He stands in the parking lot in a giant hot dog costume. It doesn't last long because "Apparently I passed out in the parking lot. It turns out I was horribly dehydrated. Sean promised to give me two weeks' pay if I didn't sue."

In Health class, he and a girl get paired up to take care of an egg baby. Tad decides to boil it, so it won't crack. "I was kind of proud of myself, but when I gave it back to Laurie before homeroom, she said, 'Something doesn't feel right about Katie.' So I told her what I'd done, and she said, 'You boiled our baby?!' I pointed out that at least I didn't poach or scramble our baby, but that didn't make things better."

Planet Tad is full of humor, nothing I would consider crude or inappropriate. The writing level is probably around 4th grade because it is told through Tad's voice, very straightforward and honest. It wouldn't be a challenging read by any means, but it will definitely hook a middle school reader and keep them reading until the end. It is a purely fun book that may inspire some readers to write a blog or diary. It will appeal to ages 10-14.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Hilarious, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Planet Tad (Hardcover)
Buy this book. I have been a fan of Planet Tad since it first appeared in Mad Magazine. A seventh grader's trials over a year. It is funny and family friendly.

3.0 out of 5 stars very worldly book, August 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is January 1, and twelve-year-old Tad is a seventh grader at Lakeville Middle School. He gets a new computer for Christmas (actually, it's his dad's old computer), so he decides to start a blog. That's his first New Year's resolution. The other four are to finish seventh grade, figure out how to do a kickflip on his skateboard, get girls to notice him, and finally start shaving. Written in the form of a blog diary, the book records Tad's observations over the next year about dealing with his family, especially his very smart little sister, school, friends, summer vacation with trying to get a job and visiting Grandma, and other life experiences in seventh and eighth grade. Will he keep his resolutions? Basically, this is an account of a self-absorbed junior high schooler written to appeal to other self-absorbed junior high schoolers.
Based on a blog of the same name in Mad Magazine, Planet Tad is not a necessarily bad book. It's just a very worldly book, and there's nothing in it that would edify in a godly way. This doesn't surprise me about something coming from Mad Magazine. When I was a teenager, I would occasionally pick up a copy of Mad to look at in the grocery store, though as what I hope is a more discerning adult I no longer do so. Sometimes it could be really funny, sometimes rude, sometimes even crude, and sometimes downright vulgar. Author Tim Carvell is the head writer for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, who recommends the book saying, "Hilarious to anyone who ever went through, is currently in, might go to, or flunked out of middle school." Also, Stephen Colbert says of it, "This book will make you laugh. If you're not into that sort of thing, consider yourself warned." Of course, for people who are really trying to be Christians, endorsements by folks like Stewart and Colbert could be somewhat counterproductive. In his desire to make the plot seem "relevant" to today's kids, Carvell uses a lot of modern pop culture references which will date the book. People still read and love Hans Brinker and The Little Princess, but 100 years from now anyone trying to read Planet Tad will find much of it totally meaningless.
In addition to some euphemisms, the words "crap" and "sucks" are used a lot. I know that "sucks" has become a part of many people's common vocabulary, but its origin as a slang term involves a vulgar sexual act (and no, I'm not going to explain it any further than that in this review). A lot of typical, juvenile "boy-girl" stuff occurs. Tad's class does that stupid "egg project" where the kids pretend to be parents taking care of a "baby" egg, and when the teacher has to pair two boys up she says, "Families come in all different configurations." There are references to dancing, dogs pooping, kids peeing, butt scratching, studying about the Donner Party, and reading Harry Potter. Someone is called a "smarta**." The name of God is found as an interjection. The terms "fricking," which some authorities believe also comes from an obscene background, and "nucking futs" appear. While the book is supposed to be for kids, there is some adult humor, such as the Loveshack Motel with vibrating beds and shopping at Victoria's Secret. And the picture of a family is not that hot. Tad's parents constantly have to bribe him to do what they want, and all of them seem to be arguing and whining a lot. A few things are truly funny, such as the record of Tad's school pictures. However, the book is basically filled with things which are probably well within the experience of most public school kids but which fall into the category of "foolishness bound up in the heart of a child" that those of us who homeschool wish our children to avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers from Canada, September 12, 2014
This review is from: Planet Tad (Hardcover)
Hi Tim! Based on your Twitter accounts, seems like you read your reviews! :) I'm happy you wrote this tweet: [...]

I figured it would be hard to get through to you by email or Twitter so I figured, why not think outside the box and communicate through Amazon.

I was wondering if Last Week Tonight would like to help me out with my quest to a Tesla Roadster. I'm trying to barter my way to the green car of my dreams. I have an e-bike for trade and John Oliver seems like someone who would love one... :)

Check out my blog post on Teslarati: [...]

Cheers from Canada! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and appropriate!, September 6, 2014
This review is from: Planet Tad (Kindle Edition)
Very funny book, my 11 year old devoured it in one sitting. Tim Carvell's characters are more complex than the usual pre-teen book, and Planet Tad is richer for his efforts. He captures the awkward years between elementary and high school with insightful humor, that nearly all parents will appreciate, while avoiding the pitfalls of inappropriateness or obnoxiousness that occasionally go with the middle school territory. Thanks for a great read, Tim!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for reluctant readers, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Planet Tad (Hardcover)
Planet Tad is a great book. It's done in diary/blog format, with lots of great illustrations. This makes a a fairly quick read (in a good way). It's witty and clever, and sure to appeal to fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid or the Dork Diaries series. A+!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncommonly funny, March 1, 2014
A. Cress (Boulder, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Tad (Hardcover)
Middle school "diaries" are common these days but this book stands head and shoulders above the rest. It's age appropriate and still fresh and humorous enough for an adult to enjoy it.

Planet Tad