Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 26, 2009
Recently took a flight and sat near the engines. After 2 hours of that I felt that I'd lost 50% of my hearing for good. I had tried to watch a dvd to no avail. Despite having the volume maxed outI could not hear the DVD well enough to continue to watch it. This was with Sony MDR-150 on the ear headphones which sound pretty good anywhere but on a plane.
When my next flight came up I decided to get better headphones. I ordered the Able Planet True Fidelity headphones and used them on my last trip. Instead of having the system volume set at 16, I had set it to 3!
As these are over the ear headphones, they reduced the sound from the plane a large amount even without the NC turned on, but mostly the upper end noise was reduced and the engine noise was still fairly intrusive. I should say that at that point I could have easily watched the DVD, and my first impression was "wow! these help alot".
Turning NC on dropped the noise level down another 50%. I could still hear noise around me, but it was very subdued. Subdued enough that I could not hear the stewardess ask me what I wanted to drink. This was while just using the NC, not watching a movie or listening to music.

I'm impressed, I wont travel again without a set of NC Headphones again.
on April 30, 2008
The best buy for the price. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my pair of Noise Cancelling Headphones. These had the best reviews from sites like Forbes, PCWorld, MacWorld the Washington Post. There were a few others too, I just don't remember.

They are very comfortable and the music works when the batteries run out. I fly a lot and these have been a life saver. Much better than the Bose Q2's I had, which broke after a year.
on May 19, 2010
I have only owned these for a month, but I dont understand why some reviewers said there's distortion. There is not any distortion AT ALL. These are high-quality headphones for people who want more than just average sound. These headphones blow away similarly priced headphones. The sound is crystal clear even with the white noise switched on.

The only thing I did not like at first is that the padding can feel a little tight and make your ears itch. But this went away after a few days.

I work in a noisy office, where I need to concentrate. After buying and trying about 5 different headphones, I kept these. They practically make it sound like the office is empty (woohoo!). PLUS, the sound quality is so excellent that it makes any type of music sound great. I basically said this already, but dont believe the reviews that said these headphones have distortion. These are top notch in quality of sound.
on September 17, 2012
I've had these about a month, generally used for hours each day. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the headphones for the price. There are definitely better ones out there, but they tend to be at a much higher price point. If you want some decent noise cancelling headphones without spending hundreds, these are well worth considering.

The noise cancelling is acceptable, but not the greatest. By itself, the noise cancelling muffles outside noise, kind of like the noise is in the other room with the door shut. Throw some music on and I'm satisfied with the results. As I said before, there's better noise cancelling out there and if that's your highest priority you may want to look elsewhere, but expect to pay more for it.

I'm no audiophile, so perhaps I'm not too critical on the audio quality, but I'm pleased with the sound. When the noise cancelling is on it produces strong audio that I find to be rich and clear. Interestingly, these headphones also function with the noise cancelling off or the battery dead, something that some other models don't do. In this case, the audio quality is not quite as good, but still solid enough that it's a feature I'm glad is here. Surprisingly, I've found myself listening with the noise cancelling off many times when I wanted to be more aware of what was going on around me - for example, if I'm listening for a phone call or expecting people to start talking to me. It's nice to be able to simply switch off the noise cancelling and continue using my headphones.

The headphones fit over my ears completely - maybe I just have large ears, but I often found other headphones did not fully cover my ears and press against the very top part, causing annoyance and a headache after a while. That's not the case with these headphones (which was one of the big reasons I chose them). I can wear them for hours and not have any soreness or irritation after taking them off.

The headphone cable is detachable from the headphones and comes with a volume knob, which is nice. However, it's a fairly short cable, I believe 3'. That's fine in most cases, but I did find that in some cases it was a little short. Depending on your circumstances, that may or may not be an issue for you. It was easily solved by getting a an extension cable, which are quite cheap, so no biggie.

The carrying case is decent. Not the sturdiest case I've ever seen, but good enough for travel if you're keeping it in your carry-on or close at hand. There's a small zip mesh inside to store your cable and other things (such as adapters). The headphones themselves are held in place with some padding and an elastic band. Nothing amazing but it gets the job done.

Overall, it's hard to beat the headphones for the price they're offered at. I went out to a store and tested these, along with a few others, before purchasing to make sure I liked their fit, sound quality, etc. I'd strongly encourage others to do the same - try them out and see what you like.
on April 21, 2008
These are the type of noise canceling headphones which generate white noise as part of noise reduction. The white noise is about as loud as the heating system noise which I was trying to eliminate. Also, the audio was distorted, kind of like a table radio turned up too loud from across the room.

This is the first time that I have ever turned in a poor report on Amazon, but it's prudent to mention the shortcomings of these headphones.

On a brighter note, Amazon makes returns easy - Thanks Amazon!
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2012
I am once again blown away by these headphones. I bought a pair awhile ago for my son and just bought these for me. The bass response is amazing and the noise canceling feature just makes it even better. I am listening to them as the fireworks are going off for 4th of July and I hear nothing but my music. I Love these I would buy 10 more pairs before I would consider another one. I feel these are far superior in both quality and craftsmanship than the beats headphones.
I'm pleased with these headphones. I once owned a costly pair of Bose over ear noise reducing headphones. I think I left those on a flight somewhere along the way. I had owned them for a couple of years and liked them, especially for my 10 hour non-stop flights. Once lost, however, I have not been willing to plunk down the cash for another pair. Enter Able Planet Noise Canceling Headphones.
I like that battery compartment is easy to reach. (The one of the Bose were a pain.) The on-off switch is too easy to jostle when the earphones are in their case though. So I've gone through a set a batteries when the earphones sat on for days. Now, I remove the batteries before I put away the earphones. There is a little zippered pouch inside this case where I store an extra set of batteries and it's handy enough.
I also like that there is a volume control no the long cord.
These earphones have been comfortable during 4+ hours of wear during a flights plus, a layover. Anything, even those Bose, can start to be a bit irritating after a longer period of time but the sound quality on these and the price are so good, that I'm forgiving.
Worth it for a frequent flier like me.
on August 2, 2014
I was able to pick these up reconditioned for $19. Reading the reviews led me to think that these would offer some of the great Bose QC15 noise canceling at a fraction of the cost. They don't come anywhere close.

I created a test to compare them with my QC15s. I ran the water hose outside which creates a nice steady low frequency noise, much like an airplane engine. The Able Planets were okay in passive noise isolation but the active NC only marginally reduced the noise.

The Bose did a better job of passive noise isolation, but a dramatically better job of NC. The water noise totally disappeared with the Bose whereas it was still quite audible with the Able Planets.

Net: if you want good NC, these don't come anywhere close to the Bose.

That said, they were inexpensive, reasonably comfortable, folded flat and had a sturdy, well-designed case.
on April 26, 2013
I have both these headphones from Able Planet and the newest Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones. My husband also has these same Able Planet headphones. It really depends on your needs, as well as how long you wear the headphones at a time. I think that music sounds great from both headsets and noise cancelling works for both. However, if you really need the best noise cancelling and you wear your headphones for several hours at a time, the Bose is way better. My husband and I work in the same room together and he speaks pretty loud during his conference calls and I don't want to hear him talking, so the Bose works best for me in this regard. But if you do not need to worry about something like this, I found the Able Planet pretty good considering the price. My husband wears his headphones for hours at a time and does not complain about comfort. I have earrings on, so that may play a role in the comfort factor.

One more thing to keep in mind, is the travel case and the location of the on/off switch for travel. The case is very large for travel, large enough to be annoying! Takes up a lot of room in a carry-on... If you purchase these headphones, I would look for smaller case to put these in. Additionally, the on/off switch is in a position where it switches on during travel and runs down the battery. I suggest taking out the battery during travel as well as bringing extras (as you are bound to forget to take out the battery at some point).
on January 27, 2014
Based on the reviews I read, and special price I bought this product. I believe most of these reviewers work for this company.
The product looks great from the outside. I had a 6:30 hours flight to South America, in the first two hours I wanted to take them off. The pressure was too much, you feel the weight of them, and very uncomfortable. Same thing on the returned flight. I would not paid $100 dollars for this headphones. Not for long flights.