5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated gem...too subtle for some?
'Planet 51' was the last thing showing at our local theatre that I hadn't already seen. The previews and lobby displays (mis)led me to believe it was just another throwaway kids' cartoon, full of forced cuteness, predictable gags, and cardboard characters; but I had time to kill and the ticket was at matinee price, so I finally went in. Am I ever glad I did...
Published on February 7, 2010 by JHD

Published on February 16, 2010 by Z Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated gem...too subtle for some?, February 7, 2010
JHD (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
'Planet 51' was the last thing showing at our local theatre that I hadn't already seen. The previews and lobby displays (mis)led me to believe it was just another throwaway kids' cartoon, full of forced cuteness, predictable gags, and cardboard characters; but I had time to kill and the ticket was at matinee price, so I finally went in. Am I ever glad I did!

The obvious send-up of 1950s American culture is fun, and so is the shoe-on-the-other-foot twist of the human being viewed as the fearful alien menace, but if that's all a viewer takes away, he or she is missing a lot. There was plenty of unexpected satire that had me laughing out loud through much of the film. There is also a profound message that centering one's society around perpetual fear can cause more harm to a culture's core values than the thing being feared; however, the message very carefully doesn't get in the way of the humanity (alienity?) of the story.

The music was well done and really enhanced the fun. Visually, I loved the film. Character design wasn't anything particularly special, but the look of the planet itself was gorgeous. This is a cartoon, after all, not an overblown CGI extravanganza like Avatar, so you shouldn't expect photorealistic rendering of every tiny detail. The beauty of this kind of artwork is in the imaginative forms and colors, the simplicity of shapes and lines that enhance the story, not overwhelm it.

Actually, having brought the subject up, I suppose many comparisons and contrasts could be drawn that make Planet 51 a kind of Anti-Avatar. Here, the humans are neither conquering villains, nor paternalistic hero figures. People--er, beings--from both sides have to do their part on Planet 51 to bridge the misunderstanding of cultures and enable goodwill to prevail. That may not be the kind of dramatic plot it takes to engage some viewers' attention these days, yet it's exactly the sort of solid but gentle storytelling one should expect from the offspring of George Harrison's Handmade Films.

Plus, so far as I can tell, no one has yet suffered depression after viewing Planet 51. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, harmless fun, December 5, 2009
I was a bit surprised to see the chilly reviews of most of the critics (the movie got an average C in the Yahoo critics review). I saw the movie with my 8 years old and we both enjoyed it a lot. It is a fun little movie which includes parody on many sci fi movies as well as on the 50's Americana. It's true that there are many references and puns pointing to other movies but in my eyes this was part of the fun and not 'unoriginal copying' as some critics claimed. I was especially proud when my son identified the scene from Singing in the Rain! My own favorites were a killer, acid-urinating pet formed after the monster in 'Alien', and the paranoid general in sun glasses which reminded me of Jack D. Ripper from 'Dr. Stragelove'.
I saw some complaints about the 'simplicity' of the graphics, it's true they are not in the league of 'Shrek' or 'Bolt' but they do just fine in the context of the movie. Overall I will not claim this is a ground breaking movie in any way, but I enjoyed it more than 'Monsters vs. Aliens' which covers a somewhat similar teritorry and which we saw earlier this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Know Your Films and Music Before Watching :3, January 8, 2010
This film was very enjoyable if you know the references to the 1950s films along with other scifi films; being a cinema major and music junkie I knew majority of the films that were parodied making it extremely funny. However 99% of the people (including critics [Which are usually film school drop outs always bitter]) didn't get the references and made it less enjoyable for them. The reason why the film didn't do good was that it was released during the same weekend as New Moon (UHF did the same with Indiana Jones 3) and was too specific of a market. It's a great film if you've seen all those cheesy films but not for kids. The film was made for them but kids won't get this however mom and dad would find it to their enjoyment. For adults think of it as a kids film but with clean jokes for you. John Cleese from Monty Python is in there along with the "Rock" as the astronaut which both have perfect roles. The music had lots of remade hits from the 1950s. So before you watch it make sure you know lots of the films and music otherwise you may not be able to appreciate the film for what's there. It's definitely a film to kick back with a beer and some of your friends who are into the retro films to get a good laugh from. Highly underrated since most people didn't understand it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought-provoking, and underappreciated, June 3, 2011
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
My six year old son laughed throughout this movie. Tons of song and movie references (everything from Singing in the Rain to Alien) kept the adults interested, too. I was really surprised that a movie rated as having 'minor violence' actually opened with [story-within-a-story] footage of ray guns disintegrating people, but it didn't turn out too violent for us as a whole. I would think twice before showing it to a younger or more sensitive kid, though.

I think this movie is really underappreciated. It didn't have the most spectacular graphics ever, and the love story was admittedly predictable, but the altered perspective - humans as aliens! - was compelling, and the cultural references made for non-stop amusement. The adorable Rover alone would be enough reason to watch it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars More for adults than kids, peppered with pop culture references, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
I had stayed away from this movie because of all the negative reviews, but my husband persuaded me to give it a try since it was playing at the dollar theater. We also brought our 5-year-old daughter along, thinking this was going to be a kids' movie. Well, though our daughter was entertained, I think this movie is best appreciated by adults who can grasp all of the pop culture references, especially those 50s sci-fi flicks. If you fall into this latter category, chances are you'll be entertained, as my husband and I (both movie buffs) were. The visuals are bright and colorful, and serve to keep kids' interest.

The story itself is a kind of twist - instead of human being invaded by aliens (as was so typical of 50s sci-fi flicks), here we have an alien culture who are terrified of a human astronaut who inadvertently lands on their planet. The entire planet is populated by a race of green creatures with antennaes, and they all embrace the music of the 50s, read 50s comics, and generally live out the era. Chuck the astronaut's (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) arrival is greeted with horror as these green guys have come to perceive those not of their planet as humanoids, and it falls upon hapless teenager Lem (Justin Long), his best friend Skiff (Seann William Scott) and the girl of Lem's dreams, Neera (Jessica Biel) to 'rescue' Chuck. The baddies here are played by General Grawl (Gary Oldman) and mad scientist Kipple (a hammy John Cleese). When the story lags, it uses Chuck's cute robot dog Rover for gags. The movie references lots of classic movies such as Star Wars, Singing in the Rain, E.T., etc. which though hardly original makes it fun and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Family Movie Ever, May 19, 2011
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
We love this movie, my 2 year old son has been watching it since we first saw it come on Starz and he absolutely loves Planet 51. From beginning to end it is a clever and entertaining movie for old and young.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Family Fun!!!, January 28, 2010
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
I really liked this movie. It had an awesome storyline. I loved that it was set during the 1950's on Planet 51, but is modern day on Earth, because I really enjoy 50's pop culture. Lem is an 'alien' who thinks that the Galaxy is only 500 miles long. On a typical day, an astronaut named Captain Charles "Chuck" Baker lands on the planet and thinks he's the first, but he was dead wrong. All the residents believe Chuck is an alien who wants to eat their brains and turn them into zombies. Lem befriends Chuck and finds out that he's a good guy. The military take over Chuck's ship so they can dissect it. If Chuck doesn't get back to his ship in time, he will never be able to return to Earth. I highly recommend PLANET 51!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a fantastic planet, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Planet 51 (DVD)
I actually thought Planet 51 was a pretty funny animated film. I don't think the amount of cheesiness is any more or less than typical animated comedies on the market these days, so I don't really understand that complaint.

It's about an astronaut (Dwayne Johnson's character) who visits a planet covered with green alien creatures (who happen to speak perfect english- yeah I know, talk about a totally *weird* coincidence!)

Anyway the storyline is that the astronaut becomes friends with one of the green aliens, and it's the aliens job to hide the astronaut from the rest of the planet who considers the astronaut an alien himself, which would therefore mean being killed against his will.

Of course the objective here is to get the astronaut back to his spaceship and therefore back to his home planet without being caught... yeah, THAT won't happen so easily!

My favorite character (who actually surprised me by getting a fair amount of attention) was Rover, the little machine satellite photographer creature that resembled a dog. Trust me, this little thing was *adorable*, haha! I especially liked the segment where it met up with another dog roaming the neighborhood and they both sniffed each other out like typical dogs, lol. This dog however, had a long attachable tongue of some sorts perfectly illustrating an alien dog.

I didn't realize it until the movie was over, but apparently Dwayne Johnson was going through an outerspace-themed period of his career when you consider this film along with Race to Witch Mountain were released around the same time (another solid adventure movie).

Anyway, Planet 51 is quite the animated spectacle, and the way the humor remains steady throughout is definitely a positive as well. I highly recommend Planet 41 for anyone who appreciates solid animation and quality storytellng.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Hilarious and fun Adventure, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Planet 51 (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
Original, Fun and Hilarious Adventure
Just got finished watching this movie and I REALLY ENJOYED IT. Maybe it's because I went in expecting to watch a
decent movie after all the negative and plain hateful reviews I read before I bought it. The main reason I took a chance on this film was because it had an original story and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. It's full of laughs, a few touching moments and overall it's a great little adventure.

If you pay attention to all the little details of this movie like the hidden tributes, the soundtrack and the voices behind the characters I think you'll really love it. From alien cars designed like a VW Vanagon, to throwbacks to ET and the Alien dog it's a fun adventure. And voices of The ROCK, Stiffler, Gary Oldman, John Cleese make a stellar cast.

As for PQ the details are great, colors are bright and lighting is wonderful. The designers behind this movie are game animators with high attention to detail.

As for the audio it's very well done. The voice levels are balanced throughout the movie, the surrounds are well
utilized (love the helicopters flying around), and the music was a perfect match.

So if you have kids over say 7 and if you like Scifi you should own this movie, screw all the negative reviews;
besides it is a kids movie after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet 51 - fun for everyone, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Planet 51 (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
This movie is a pleasure to watch because the story is laid out very well and has a good flow to it. The story is far from original (quiet similar to "Battle for Terra") but is entertaining. This movie is a keeper.

Planet 51 (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Planet 51 (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) by Marcos Martinez (Blu-ray - 2010)
$19.99 $13.47