5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted... these are better!
As part of my retirement anti-hoarding + organizing goal, I was looking for additional Plano storage boxes when I happened across these. I've used Plano storage boxes for more years than I can remember & they've served me well!

Published on November 3, 2012 by B. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite the usual quality
Published on August 11, 2012 by Rayge

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted... these are better!, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)

When I received these, I was disappointed, as these are "HUGH"! They're deeper, front to back & wider, across the front... not what I thought I'd ordered. These measure 14" (across the front) X 9" (front to back) X 2" (height). This was my ordering error, so I figured I might as well give them a try. To my surprise, the size wasn't bad at all & it gives me additional room to sort out my fasteners. :)

The pros:
+ This 4 pack cost less than the smaller size I thought I was getting & free shipping is included!
+ The lid latches are very tight & secure. They should stay latched if the box is dropped.
+ Compartment dividers are provided... more than I needed.
+ The larger size means more room for parts!

The cons:
- The compartment dividers don't fit real tight, so they can lift when the lid is open, allowing smaller thin parts to mix. This is normal on this type of storage box, so I'm not lowering my product rating.
- Due to size of this storage box, it can get VERY heavy when it's filled with fasteners, or other heavy items!

► Update - February 6, 2013
After using the first 4 & finding I liked this larger size, I ordered another 4 pack. I already used 3 of these! :)

► Update - September 28, 2013
I just ordered my third 4 pack of these! After ordering the first pack by mistake, I'm constantly surprised how handy this size storage box is.

► Update - February 24, 2014
I'm starting to move to these larger storage boxes from the smaller ones I'd been using. I have 2 empty storage boxes left & when they're used, I'll have to order another 4 pack! :)

► Update - November 28, 2014
It's hard to believe, but I used up the last 4, so I had to buy more so I'd have some spare storage boxes on hand. :)

► Update - December 30, 2014
The weather has forced me indoors, so I started sorting my electronic components. This really reduces the time I had to spend looking for parts I knew I had... somewhere!
I again depleted my unused storage boxes, so I ordered another 4 pack! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite the usual quality, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
If I hadn't already owned several other Plano Stowaways of other 3700 series makes, I wouldn't have known how the quality had slipped on these. As usual, you must cut out your own dividers and insert them into the boxes to create compartments. If you want more than are provided, and you purchased them for your own personal use, you can contact Plano at customerservice@planomolding.com to describe why you need more. The dividers with the four pack are uneven, with little blebs and tags of plastic where the molds have clearly leaked. When one of mine fell from the desktop to the floor, only partially loaded with stone beads, the corner compartment shattered, spilling beads across the floor, to the delight of my dog. If you have the money to spend, it might be worth buying these individually and getting the higher quality ones, or getting them from Plano directly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for storing small electronic parts, March 19, 2013
Drew (WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
I'm using these to store electronic components, and they work great for it. Over stand up plastic drawers (such as the Akro-Mils units), these have the advantage of being able to see everything through the lid (or, failing that, opening up the lid) as opposed to having to open every single drawer one at a time. If you're more organized than me, the drawers may work for you. These also have the advantage of being able to be transported easily without losing parts, and there's no risk of the lid jamming from shifted contents. The drawers, on the other hand...

Being able to latch the lid is very handy, as these can be turned in any orientation without worrying about the lid coming open. Also, note that this particular model of Plano storage container does not have any sort of carrying handle, but this is not an issue for me. There are other models by Plano that do have a handle, however, if you need it.

One feature that really attracted me to these drawers are the resizable compartments. Note that the four long horizontal dividers are fixed, but there are dividers that go in between the long ones to make various sized storage compartments.

A con with this feature is that the dividers come attached to each other. I cut the plastic in between them (after snapping them apart) with angle cutters, but the tiny amount of leftover plastic warped the long dividers when inserted. This results in the lid not closing. I had to go through and painstakingly remove every bit of excess plastic with a pocket knife so that the short dividers would not push outward on the long, fixed dividers. This took about 3 hours to do all of them for all four boxes. Luckily, it's a one-time deal.

Another problem I noticed is that the fixed dividers are slightly warped if none of the removable dividers are inserted. This also makes the outside of the container slightly warped, making it difficult to close the lid. As I am using all of the removable dividers provided, this isn't a problem for me, but it's something to note.

Besides these two cons (and the first one is only after first receiving it...after carefully trimming excess plastic from the removable dividers, it's not an issue anymore), these Plano storage boxes are great for storing small items, and the adjustable dividers are very handy for providing various sized storage compartments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just had to get some more of these!, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
Earlier this year, as our grandson's collection of Disney/Pixar Cars here at our house had grown, we'd ordered a few of these to be able to have a compact and convenient place to store them when he wasn't playing with them - they were perfect, so we just had to get some more! The dividers keep them separated so they don't scratch each other, and they're adjustable so they can fit the various car sizes. We do wish that the four horizontal dividers were adjustable as well as the vertical ones, but it's fine for this purpose; the depth allows for both the shorter and taller cars, which is great. The lid latches lock securely, and we like the see-through plastic so he can easily find the items he'd like to play with. When we went to order, we found that we could get this 4 pack for only $21.40, while the individuals were almost $7 a piece, so this was a nice deal. (9/7/13 update: Decided to purchase yet another of these 4 packs to store our grandson's Thomas trains, and got an even BETTER deal this time, since the "singles" were $7.11 each but we could get this 4 pack for just $19.03! That's a terrific savings on what we've found to be a very useful product!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bins, good price, made in the USA!, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
I have bunch of these bins, and they are all holding up great.

They're a bit more expensive than the chinese offerings, but I'm okay with paying a bit more to support a US company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with these organizers., September 1, 2014
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
I've found this to be a valuable set of organizers for small electronic components, and tools. Pulling together some comments from other reviews, and I've seen in my own experience:
1) Each container has 3 immovable dividers running the length of the container dividing it into 4 rows.
2) The first three rows can be divided into 12 smaller compartments (1 1/8"w x 2" x ~1 3/4" h)
3) The fourth row (behind the latches) can be divided into 10 compartments
4) 20 dividers come with each container, but you can get more for free by emailing CustomerService@PlanoMolding.com

There is another similar container (Prolatch Stowaway) Model 3750 which has only 2 immovable rows (configured the same as the 3700), and leaves the rest as open space. It comes with some larger dividers that allow you to configure the open two rows into 5 more spaces measuring roughly 1 1/8"w x 4 1/2" l x 1 3/4" h. I wasn't able to find these on Amazon, but they've got them at Home Depot at about the same price as the 3700.

One nit, that pretty much happens with all of the organizers, is I've found that some of the small wires I'm storing will slip underneath the dividers and get mixed in the next compartment. If it weren't for this small inconvenience, I'd rate these at 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, But..., July 13, 2014
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
I use these boxes for a large number of beads I have collected. I like them because I can change the size of each opening of the space I need. I have two suggestions for using these boxes with beads. Scotch tape the bottom and sides of each compartment so that the beads of one compartment do not "ooze under or around the compartment and make all your beads get mixed. Also, for fishing tackle the number of dividers provided with each box is probably adequate. However, the number of dividers for beading storage is greatly inadequate. I need for box, at least 45-50 dividers especially when I have a small number of many different kinds of beads to keep separated from all the other beads.

4.0 out of 5 stars great unit for a decent price, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
A little pricey for utility boxes... but they are really good quality utility boxes. I'm happy with this purchase (this price is way better than any of the chain stores).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
perfect size -- good description -- would buy again -- fast shipper

4.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise excellent., June 29, 2014
This review is from: Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack) (Sports)
Not enough dividers. Otherwise excellent.

Plano 2-3700 Prolatch Stowaway (four pack)
$49.95 $20.58