5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Pelican case and for half the cost!
Published on April 25, 2011 by ajchin331

2.0 out of 5 stars Objective review
Slightly misleading from my perspective. Let me share my thoughts on the 2 I bought...

I'm on the fence with this one. I was happy to see a case that would fit 2 scoped rifles and think Plano is pretty good when it comes to quality. I immediately jumped on this and bought 2. Amazon, as always, delivered quickly and the products were on my doorstep in 2...
Published 21 days ago by R.J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Pelican case and for half the cost!, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
I was quite leary about purchasing a Plano case at first. All of the cases I've seen in stores and some of the ones I purchased online (and subsequently returned) were really lightweight, flimsy, and didn't even close properly because the contents would cause the cover to shift. Not only that, but the latches had something to be desired and were NOT reliable. So, enter the Plano Gunguard series of cases, and I was IMPRESSED!

The case walls are much thicker and durable, very similar to the Pelican rifle cases. If you're expecting something light, you're going to be disappointed. This is a heavy duty case that has an aggressive, yet elegant exterior design. Just feeling the weight of the case gives you the utmost confidence that your firearms are well protected.

PROS: Heavy duty, nice looking case, very good construction / engineering. Comes with key locks.

CONS: Heavy when you have two rifles inside. Does not come with "Pick/pull" foam. Carry handle on the short side gets in the way when trying to latch / unlatch.

LATCHES: There are a total of 6 latches, two of them with key locks. They are very robust, and easy to use. They don't just hold in place by tension, but also "Click" into place. Once they latch, you can push down as they apply a positive pressure to keep the case closed and secured. There are also two holes to accomodate padlocks to keep the case secure.

WHEELS: Case has two plastic rolling wheels for easier transportation (I guess that's a plus if you're in the airport...with rifles...NOT!) They seem to roll quite smoothly, and appear to be made of the same material as the case.

INTERIOR: Actual interior measurements were 51.5" by around 12.5". Deptch doesn't reall matter since you're sandwiching your firearms inside. The top cover has the "Eggshell" type foam, and the bottom is made up of 2 separate layers of flat foam. The instructions mentioned the "Pick and pull" type foam, but that's not what it is. I think that's a separate / optional accessory. The lip of the interior overlap, creating a tight seal, but I don't know if it is water tight (although it is claimed to be air/water tight and dust proof). I didn't see any O-ring on the case, but I'm not planning on going to the jungle anytime soon.

FITTING: I was able to fit my SKS equipped with a scope and a Tapco T6 stock (fully extended) and a Mauser 98k without any problems. Nice and snug, albeit a little on the heavy side.

BOTTOM LINE: THIS CASE KICKS BUTT!!!! Unless you have specific needs for a Pelican case, this is a fantastic competitor case that provides a high level of protection when transporting your firearms. There is plenty of space to accomodate two full size rifles, and the overall look of the case is very nice. Very well constructed, and you can't beat it for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good case for airline travel, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
I needed a case to transport a few firearms via plane and after doing a lot of research it seemed that most of the double rifle cases I looked at fell within two categories; those in the $20-$75 price range that seemed too flimsy for airline travel and those in the $200+ price range that would be good for airline travel, but a little out of my price range.

I literally stumbled across this case at a local sporting goods store and it seemed to have much thicker plastic, more padding, and better latches than the $20-$75 range cases, but not priced as high as the other cases I was looking at. Amazon had an even better price. I ordered one from amazon, and it arrived with a huge crack in one end. That didn't instill a lot of confidence in the case, but I went ahead and returned it and ordered a replacement.

I'm glad I did as the case worked great. There are three layers of foam in the case. One on top, one on the bottom, and one in the middle which is designed to be cut into the shape of your gun(s) for secure transport. I took a different route. I placed three pistols on the bottom layer, left the middle foam intact, and placed two rifles on top. I easily came in under the 50 lb restriction for checked bags. It was a snug fit, but nothing moved an inch while inspecting at my destination. The wheels on the case worked great and were a great asset. There were a few scuff marks on the cases from the baggage handlers, but it still looks great.

There are two lockable hinges (out of six) that have TSA locks and two spots for additional padlocks. Make sure you get padlocks with a minimum 7/8" shackle (a very tight fit), but padlocks with a 1" shackle would be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid case, not quite enough room, August 13, 2009
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
Bought this for a pair of Savage 10FP's. I love the ruggedness, and the wheels are a nice touch. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd think it was a Pelican, with the thick shell and dense padding, however I do have a couple of small issues with the case.

It may be a double scoped rifle case if you have exceptionally small rifles with exceptionally small scopes, however for my rifles (And I'll grant you, they're decently sized, with 26" barrels and 6-18x42 scopes) not everything will quite fit and be protected. I have to take the scope off of one of the rifles so that they will both fit in, but then I usually only use this case for taking one rifle at a time out to the range.

But on the sturdyness factor, I give it a definate 5. I would have no problem taking this case through an airline, with the multiple lock tabs, and rigidity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Air Travel!, October 7, 2011
Tommydogge (Evvergreen, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
I paid full price for this case while traveling out of state, dealing with my father's demise, but the case was well worth it at that price. The sales clerk told me this model was approved by TSA (noted by the red latches), and that the lock complies with a TSA master key: Permitting you to lock the case while granting TSA inspection access. I flew home with three carbines, one pistol, a crossbow, a crossbow-pistol, and a hand full of accessories: All inside this one case! The bottom padding is two layers of flat foam which I divided to accommodate six+ items in two tiers (It can easily accommodate two of my big-game rifles.). Although it was well-filled and overweight by the airline's standard, it was still easy to roll it from baggage claim to my car. Very sturdy and well-made. I will certainly buy from Plano again.

Update: After posting this review, I realized that the center layer of foam is indented to be custom cut for specific items or items with similar configurations: a common feature with similar cases. Doing so will provide a moulded effect with snug foam on all sides of the firearm. I haven't done this yet, as I am not willing to commit the case to any specific rifle(s). But it is large enough to easily carry two large-caliber rifles and a few pistols. Still pleased with the case a year later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case Rocks, November 2, 2011
Big Steve (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
This case is great for my AR's. It holds up extremely well. The only issue is two screws that hold the wheel on were missing. It didn't seem to affect the performance. Still gave it five stars because how awesome it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Case, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
This case it exceptionally nice, unfortunately I could only fit one rifle in it. I have a Remington 700 BDL w/ Luepold scope and bi-pod on it, I attempted to fit another scoped rifle next to it. They may have fit, but I did not feel comfortable with how close I had to push them to the edge to make them fit. By doing that it would have left very little cushion between the interior of the case and the rifle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case for the money, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
This case is great for the money and competes favorably with the higher end cases that cost almost twice the money.

pros:
durable...TSA and many baggage 'throwers' have failed to do any harm
latches include built in locks
holes for extra locks
wheels for rolling when it's loaded down

cons:
heavy...you will need the wheels when you have two rifles w/ scopes
included foam needs to be cut with a knife to fit equipment

overall:
Great value when compared to other, much more expensive cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protection for my Zombie Killer, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
I could not be more pleased with this case. It is well designed and solid. I purchased it for my RRA Standard Operator so I already knew that once I added a scope, this would not easily hold a second rifle. It does not come with pluck foam, so I traced everything I wanted to store in there, then cut out the traces with an electric knife. This is exactly what I needed to store and protect my investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality for the Price, October 21, 2009
D. Rosario (Honolulu, Hawaii, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
This case is sturdy. I have confidence that it will not break or accidentally open. The 2 key locks and 2 holes for pad locks are major plusses. It is similar in design to more expensive pelican brand cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars "solid" case worth the buy, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels (Sports)
When I was looking for a case for my Remington 700 sps tact I spent a lot of time looking on amazon and based on the reviews settled on this one.. Just got the foam cut out and the gun set in. If you have two normal sized scoped rifles, pretty much anything bigger then a 22 you're gonna be tight unless you take the scope off the other gun.. Regardless, still high quality stuff with some great features and very strong. Gonna put in a shotgun and other accessories with the rest of the space.

Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels