5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and concise
This book is one of the best reference books you can own. It's not one of those books that requires reading 20 pages and taking notes to learn how to propagate a plant. It's laid out very simply.

There is a section about the basics of propagation and soil written very simply and to the point. No extra words.

Second
There are all of...
Published on June 15, 2009 by Brett Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars More Comprehensive
OK, I was hoping it would be more comprehensive. The book gives us basically what it advertised but we were hoping it would be a little more plant specific.
Published 18 months ago by Robert Nielsen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and concise, June 15, 2009

Second
There are all of the different propagation techniques with each one only having two pages. On the pages it lays, in pictures with captions, the technique very simply. Then in a box off to the bottom it tells you the potential problems you may experience and their causes. There is another box that lists all of the plants that can be propagated by the technique. Lastly there is a little 1-2 paragraph written section telling more information about the technique should you want to learn a little more.

Third
There is a section classifying each plant by botanical (latin) name that tells the easiest method of propagating that plant along with alternate techniques and potential problems. All of this information is presented in less than 100 words and guides you to the pages containing the propagation technique towards the beginning of the book.

The most concise and simple reference book I have ever seen. I read a lot and have many reference books on different subjects. This is by far the best, even better than the for dummies books. You can go straight to the plant you want and in two pages know when and how to propagate a plant and what can go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier!, September 5, 2007
Kelly "Hoya-Lova" (Corpus Christi, TX.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
As usual, I am always thrilled when I see that AMAZON box waiting for me when I come home, but this is a book that I just could not put down. I am fairly new to gardening (I guess that makes me "green".) I have so many questions about how to help my ever-growing garden along. This book takes you step by step through every kind of plant propagating. The photos carry you through but with the clear and simple instructions your hardly need them. The format is great, the instructions are helpful, the added glossary and plant directory are outstanding. A "must have" for any new gardener as well as those who have been around for a season or two. Thanx again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is a Plant Propagators Bible, April 3, 2008
B. Sanders (WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
I checked this book out at our library several times before I decided I needed to own it. It's the kind of book I want to have on my bookshelf to use and refer to as needed. It is chock full of great information about various aspects of propagating and goes beyond information usually found in such a book. I was particularly interested in the section on Hybridizing and plan to try the technique this summer. It has a great section on starting seeds also, and although I've been starting seeds indoors under lights for over 15 years now, I still found the information helpful and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers everything the home gardener will ever need, April 12, 2009
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
I am a Master Gardener student in southern Wisconsin. I had purchased this book because I was going to be attending a day-long, hands-on seminar on plant propagation at the University of Wisconsin Horticulture center in Madison, WI. When I opened my text book (a huge volume put together by our instructor) and studied that - and then opened this book I was thrilled to find that absolutely everything I would need to know for the seminar and for my studies was also available in this book. As a student of horticulture, I can say with absolute certainty if you are looking for a source book to give you all you'll need to know to propagate plants at home, this is it. A GREAT value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally...A Practical Propagation Guide with Lots of Illustrations & "How-To's", May 27, 2008
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
I loved this book. I have investigated dozens of books on the subject of Propagation and have found this one to be the most useful & informative (without going overboard & into the chemistry lab). Filled with lots of illustrations & practical examples, it covers all aspects of propagation.

Easy to use, you'll be amazed at the results you see within a few days to a few weeks...Highly recommended for the beginners as well as experienced horticulturists...Great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Surprise, February 27, 2012
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
I should have known what a wonderful help this would be when I discovered it had been published by Rodale. The instructions are direct and complete and the diagrams are an enormous help, the best I have seen. It's not quite as complete as the American Horticultrue Book on Propagation, but very helpful none the less.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Comprehensive, May 9, 2013
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice reference for gardeners who want to multiply plants., November 30, 2013
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
Very nice book to use for reference! I am an avid gardener and have been for years. This book provides many new methods and useful ideas for propagating plants. It takes you through growing from seed to cuttings to grafting and layering. The pictures are very nice, high quality. Nothing really exotic but basic reproduction of plants. Recomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number One Propagation Reference, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
This book is so practical and uses clear photographs
and illustrations that show you exactly what to look
for and do. I've read it all from cover to cover, and
I wish more reference books were this easy to use and
understand.

I also like the addendum material in the back that
tells the best methods to propagate the most common plants.
The only immprovement I'd suggest is that instead
of listing the plants by their latin names, (which
is common in the plant world) that the common names be listed too.
It would just be nice to look up "Japanese Maples" and not have to
research to find "Acer Palmatum". This is, however, a minor item when
you consider the excellent value of this work as a whole.

I especially like how each propagation method has an
executive summary style of presentation, and
generally in the space of two pages you know what to do, step
by step with pictures.

With this book as my main reference guide,
I've successfully propagated blueberry plants from seed,
blueberries from cuttings, blackberries from root cuttings,
azaleas using intermittent misting, and now I'm trying
hardwood cuttings over the wintertime. (fingers crossed and
with Miranda's help)

If you want to know all you can about plant propagation in
an easy understandable format, this is an invaluable
reference tool. I try to borrow most books from the library,
but good reference books are something I want to own.
This is a GREAT reference book. You won't regret owning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful!, March 22, 2011
This review is from: The Plant Propagator's Bible (Paperback)
This book combines written and visual instruction to help one understand how to propagate plants. I know I will be looking for plants I never thought about previously in order to try to see if they will grow.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Plant Propagator's Bible
The Plant Propagator's Bible by Miranda Smith (Paperback - March 6, 2007)
$22.99 $17.23