4.0 out of 5 stars Get this Night Splint!
Hello,
Published on February 28, 2010 by E. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Design Drawbacks; Questionable Results
Published on August 5, 2010 by K. Dobo-Hoffman

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this Night Splint!, February 28, 2010
Hello,
I've had Plantar Fascitis for over a year now. Finally a few months ago, I read about night splints online and decided to try them. I tried two other night splints before this one, the Futuro Plantar Fascitis Sleep Support and the Strassburg Sock, both of which failed to keep my foot at a 90 degree angle at night and relieve pain the morning. I regret wasting my money on those. Then I decided to try a "boot" like one instead and got this one because it was the cheapest. I've worn it for a week and can feel the difference and its a very good product. It keeps my feet virtually immobilized and once you get it adjusted, putting it on or taking it off is easy, you just undo the buckles. Takes 5 seconds, even in the middle of the night. Also, its pretty comfortable too, but at this point I am used to wearing foot contraptions to bed. I am definitely considering purchasing a second to prevent PF from reoccurring in my other foot.
My only problems with this product are that if I put in the removable wedge (for extra stretching), my foot goes numb and it takes a bit of time to figure out the correct adjustment of the straps that will keep you foot in place but won't cut off circulation. Also, its pretty big, which makes it not so portable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, a few drawbacks, June 9, 2010
I'm struggling with plantar fasciitis (pf). I tried the Futuro soft splint first - the only way to make it work was to adjust it so tightly that your foot and toes went numb and I couldn't sleep the night in it. I also found that the soft splint would never hold my foot in the right position all night which is critical. The splint I'm reviewing here is significantly better. It definitely holds your foot in the right position and I have noticed an improvement after only 3 days of using it - I wake up with little or no pain from the pf. I have found that I can walk in this splint (short trips to the bathroom) and it's not too bad to sleep in. The one drawback is that sometimes it can be uncomfortable and a few times the discomfort has actually woken me up in the night. I don't consider that a showstopper - you're wearing a contraption to bed so I don't expect it to be completely comfortable and I consider it worth it to fight the pf. Overall this is a good product at a good price and I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars it works, April 6, 2010
I agree that this is a hard night splint to get used to sleeping in,
but it WORKS! It's the only one I've found that creates enough pull
on the fascia and it doesn't squeeze your toes like the soft splints
do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly effective, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Plantar Fascitis Night Splint Brace Heel and Foot Pain Size: Large (Health and Beauty)
UPDATE: Two years of use later, I am still very satisfied. After the first two or three months, I started using the boots much less frequently (for an hour or so three times a week; I never sleep in them any more because it isn't necessary), and my foot pain did not return. The boots are finally wearing out, and I am planning to purchase identical replacements. I may even buy two pair.

It is hard to overstate how great these night splints are. After 15 years of gradually worsening foot issues, these almost completely eliminated my pain in a matter of days.

They seem to have cured my plantar fasciitis, and I find they are helpful for ALL of my (many) other foot issues, as well. Because of my short Achilles tendon, I find that shoes and orthotics with a heel are more comfortable, so I was really surprised that the splints, which force my feet to hold a totally flat position, worked. I can only assume that stretching the ACL gently for long intervals while the feet are NOT bearing weight is uniquely helpful. Anyone with tight Achilles tendons and/or painful insteps like I had might find these worth trying. Obviously they won't work for everyone or everything, but given the cost, they are certainly worth a try, even for foot issues other than plantar fasciitis.

Sleeping in them is a challenge, but it is doable if the straps are adjusted carefully. When they are too tight, I wake up with numbness. Meanwhile, I find that even if I take them off halfway through the night, or even sometimes skip a night or two, my foot pain has not returned. One reviewer complained that the sizing was quite loose, but there are two adjustments for each strap - one velcro, one of the sort used on backpack straps. If you adjust carefully, the sizing range is quite broad. Other reviewers were bothered by the lack of symmetry. The boots don't distinguish left and right, but since they are not fitted to the sides of the feet, it really doesn't matter at all. I guess some people may object on aesthetic grounds to the fact that the straps fasten on the right side of both feet, but practically this makes no difference in how the splints work.

And work they do. Before finding these, I tried physical therapy (useless for my pain), three kinds of orthotics (marginally helpful) and various other supportive socks and ankle braces. Nothing else comes close to the results I've seen with these night splints. Especially at the price I paid, these are probably the best purchase I've ever made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Design Drawbacks; Questionable Results, August 5, 2010
K. Dobo-Hoffman (Asheville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
As a newer runner training for long distance triathlons I began having trouble with PF. Last winter after I finished (barely) an Ironman, my doctor recommended I simply stop running for a month. I had no upcoming events, so I did that, and it worked. Up until a month or so ago. I have been building up mileage towards an 18 mile trail run in September and once again the PF has returned. This time I want to treat it before the event, rather than suffer through and rest afterwards. So I bought this night split.

The first thing I found out is that there are some quality and sizing issues:
Quality: The middle strap does not lock tightly.. one side of it pulls loose. It stays put, barely, so I decided not to return it and try it out for awhile. This may just be a minor issue with my particular unit, so I wouldn't say it's a reason not to purchase. The rest of the boot seems to be solidly built.

Sizing: I wear a 9 or 9 1/2 men's shoe, so I am right in the middle of the Men's Medium (8 to 10 1/2). Yet my toes come right up to and my big toe sticks out over the edge of the padding. Anybody with a 10 or 10 1/2 foot would actually need to buy a large. While this part is too short, the straps are too long. I have them strapped down as tightly as they will go and they barely hold my foot in place. Maybe I have really skinny legs? I doubt it.. I have fairly well developed runner's calves and a normal width foot. I suppose I could cut down the padding to get them a little tighter, but this should be designed better.

So far I have only worn the splint for an hour or two at a time. I have not tried to sleep in it overnight. Laying down in it is indeed fairly uncomfortable, but I expected that. Let's face it, if you strap any kind of foreign object to your body and try to sleep, it's going to feel strange and disruptive. The boot does indeed provide some relief, while it is on. Whether I'll be able to use it long enough to actually relieve symptoms is still a big question. I'm still tinkering with how much of a stretch to put on the foot by moving the wedge around. Too much and it causes numbness in the toes. Too little and it doesn't do much at all. I guess it's just a matter of trial and error.

I guess I would say this product is good enough to give a try, but expect your mileage to vary on the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value..., February 20, 2009
I had a night splint I got from a Podiatrist several years back, but seem to have misplaced in a recent move, and ordered this as a replacement. It has all the same straps across calf, ankle and foot, and up the sides. it's easily adjustable and everything attaches with velcro. One surprise - also included is a small white wedge under the toe, which I must have missed in the product description, a nice addition.

The only reason I didn't give a 5 here is that I generally wear a women's size 9 shoe, and my toe comes all the way to the end of the splint. A fit for me, but if you have a wide foot, or normally wear a 9 1/2 you might want to consider the large splint.

3.0 out of 5 stars night splints for PF, February 14, 2011
I have plantar fasciitis pretty bad in both feet for about a year and 1/2 now. I've tried stretches, arch supports, heel cups and now these boots. I'll be totally honest. I bought 2 boots about 2 months ago and I have maybe worn them a total of 7 nights. I wake up in the middle of the night and rip them off. they are not horribly uncomfortable, just not the same though as sleeping barefoot. These have alot of velcro straps you can adjust to make the dorsiflexion tighter or looser. They also have removable wedges that can be placed under the toes for more flexion. I can't totally comment on if they work since I haven't worn them consistently, but I have had some relief with my first steps in the morning after wearing them. I cannot walk far in these. Maybe 10 steps and thats hanging on to the wall the whole time. These are a good buy if you want a boot for plantar fasciitis. You just have to commit to wearing them. Advice: I would wear the splints in a loose dorsi flexion for the first week to gradually loosen the tendon under the foot, otherwise you may experience discomfort from over stretching it.
These boots are worth a try if all else fails-my next step just may be cortisone or surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle, May 4, 2012
I've been suffering from Plantar Fasciitis for many years and this item is actually a miracle! after a few days, I started feeling much better. Waking up in the morning pain free is something I haven't felt for a long while. Thanks to this great item. Buy with confidence. Seller Flexibrace was extremely helpful and shipped very fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the most comfortable item...but it WORKS!, May 18, 2012
This is definitely not the most comfortable thing to try and wear in bed, but if you want something that WORKS...this is it! I had a really bad case of plantar fasciitis that crept up on me from my morning exercises, and nothing seemed to get it well again. My doctor recommended that I purchase the Strassburg sock and give that a try, but the reviews for that item were terrible. Well...I'm not one to spend good money on a bad product so I skipped that option. After further research, I came across this foot brace and decided after reading the reviews here at Amazon to give it a try. So glad that I did!!! After a few days it started feeling better, and after wearing it pretty consistently my plantar fasciitis has almost completely healed now after a month or so. This product really worked!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This solved my Plantar Fascitis, July 2, 2012
I had Plantar Fascitis for about 10 months. I dreaded the first step in the morning because of the pain. First I used this split alone by itself and saw improvement in about 2 weeks. Not 100% pain free but about 70%. Then one day I severe foot pain while at work, so I went to Target looking for BioFreeze that my Podiatrist recommended. The Pharmacist told me they didn't carry Biofreeze, but he said their brand was was just as good if not better. Plus it had extra topical analgesics that BioFreeze did not have. So I bought Target's Up&Up ultra strength pain-relief cream (contains Camphor 4%, Menthol 10% and Menthy salicylate 30%) for about $5. I went back to work and put some cream of my foot. I got immediate relief. Here's where my treatment really began. What I did for 2 months was put the cream on the bottom of my foot at night-time then put on a sock on over it. Next I put on the Night Splint. Within two months I was pain free! I also would put the pain-relief cream on in the morning and put my sock on then work shoes. The night split can be a little weird to sleep in but it worked for me. I am pain free, and I am now doing the Insanity Workout.