Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on December 8, 2011
After a couple of days to try out these 2 Peanut butter substitutes I can say I'm a convert. I LOVE peanut butter, for me it's a trigger food. If I eat it, I tend to want to eat half the jar at once and it can lead to wanting to eat other things I know I shouldn't. I've worked damn hard to shed 170lb this past year and half and indulging in PB is something I very rarely do anymore. I'd all but given it up. So actually finding something like this, which will allow me to enjoy the occasional PB&J sandwich without the feelings of guilt and remorse is a godsend!
The reg. version of PB2 does have a roasted peanut taste to it, so it's not quite like regular PB, you don't get the salty sweeter taste of Jiff or Skippy. JUST the roasted peanut taste. But it's quickly adapted to. And the Chocolate version (which I was more skeptical of) was even better! You can eat either one right after you mix them with water, but I think they're best when added to something else.
First of all I like to mix a base of reg PB2 with the chocolate version since I prefer a bit more of the nutty flavor to the chocolate. When just eating the chocolate my first thought was this would be great on whole wheat with a smear of marshmallow creme. And I don't even like marshmallow creme. But I will probably try it out one day to see if I'm right.
Either spread works great on fruit. I've tried apples and bananas so far. I also tried a PB&J with reduced calorie jelly and it worked very well. Good enough to replace the high calorie reg. PB&J sandwiches.

It might sound strange but one combo I REALLY like is to scoop a bit of the powdered PB onto a fat free potato chip (I use Pringles fat free sour cream) and no there wasn't a taste clash or anything. I'm sure you could use the reg Pringles fat free, I just happen to think the sour cream ones taste better. Anyway turn the chip upside down and scoop a bit of powder into the "bowl" of the underside and eat. The salt of the chip is the first thing that hits your tongue and then the PB powered crumbs. And the combo is just....yumm!!!! Like that, it really does taste like any PB you could buy. I tried it with the chocolate version too, and there it's really like eating a peanut butter cup. And surprisingly the salty chip and powered PB isn't dry in the mouth. Quite the opposite actually. Now on the other hand, I tried adding the powdered PB2 as a topping to my skinny cow ice cream as I do on occasion like some melted PB on my ice cream, but there it DID dry out my mouth completely. Very strange. So I decided to try and mix the PB2 with water then heat it up in the microwave to see if it would melt like reg PB. It didn't. It got hot, but ended up dry like the cookie dough for peanut butter cookies where you can basically ball it up in your hands. I guess without all the fat the PB2 can't melt like standard peanut butter. So as for ice cream topping, at least so far, it hasn't worked.
I am looking forward to seeing what else these 2 powdered products would work with and am already planning on ordering the larger sizes as I'd like to try some baking with them too.

All in all, I highly recommend them!

Edit; Okay so it DOES work as a melted peanut butter substitute on ice cream. The key is to start with a base of water and gradually add powder to it until you get a very creamy consistency that will run off a spoon, just like melted pb *then* heat it up in the microwave. My first attempt with this method I used far too much water so be careful there. I kept adding bits of powder including the chocolate version for fear I'd use all my pb2 up. But it was so much water I couldn't thicken it up enough and decided to start over. However, rather than just throw it all out, I decided to try it out as a drink. And you know, heated up, it was like a super rich cup of cocoa....delish! Even with no added sweetener it was sweet enough. And as a plus, since it's just water you can save those calories there. Not to mention, if you're lactose intolerant like me, regular hot chocolate is out anyway.

Now even though this stuff is 85% less than regular peanut butter it does have some calories and fat, so I wouldn't over do it. But as an occasional indulgence, I'm so happy I found this!

PS: I just want to add since purchasing PB2 from Amazon I've found a site called "" and I highly recommend buying food stuffs from them. Amazon is great for pretty much everything else, but they are way over priced on their food.
I bought the large 16oz pack of PB2 from netrition for only 7.99 per bag. the same price Amazon charges for the small 6.5oz size! They don't have free shipping like Amazon, but they only charge $4.95 flat shipping fee no matter how much you buy. So it's not bad. Maybe because I bought so much, or it was my first time ordering but they also sent me a free low cal. quick cook cake mix. They were also way WAY cheaper on PB2 peanut butter crackers and everything else I ordered from them.

So like I said, Amazon is great for most things, but when it comes to food, Netrition is a whole lot better!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2011
I have counting calories and have lost 100 pounds in 13 months. I CRAVE peanut butter and PB2 gives me the PB fix I need and with less than half the calories....tastes great, I love it, healthy, satisfying. Peanut butter lovers who are trying to lose weight, this stuff will definitely help!

Only thing is I wish it was available in a local store and it is a little pricey...
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
I purchased this product after reading a raving review of it in Nutrition Action Health Letter which is a newsletter published by the respectable Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). They recommend it for being tasty and a healthy (low-cal) alternative to regular peanut butter.

(don't let the web address mislead you)

I have eaten peanut butter almost every day for the past many decades--usually for breakfast. The regular version of PB2 actually tastes pretty good. In fact I'd say it tastes better than some cheaper brands of peanut butter--you know, the oily store brands. The chocolate version is okay, but it's not as nutty and it's not chocolaty enough to get your chocolate fix.

However, I take issue with consuming this alternative for health reasons. It definitely does have far less fat and calories than regular peanut butter. However, the fat in quality peanut butter is about half MUFAs or monounsaturated fat. This is some of the healthiest fat you can consume. The American Heart Association notes that MUFAs are associated with reducing of the "bad" LDL cholesterol. A little more than a quarter of the fat is also polyunsaturated fat.

The sugar content of regular PB2 is the same as Jif for an equivalent serving size. The chocolate version actually has a little more sugar and a little less protein. So you give up the healthy fat and keep the refined sugar.

2 TBS of PB2 mixed with one TBS of water actually only yields 1.5 TBS of spreadable product. So while you do save A LOT of calories with PB2 you don't save a lot of calories for very long.

The bottom line is this: Peanut butter can be a very healthy food IF eaten in moderation. If you buy PB2, you WILL eat it in moderation because you get very little for a lot of money. If you are trying to severely restrict your calorie intake to lose weight, there might be a place for PB2 in your meal plan. If you just want to eat healthy, use 2 TBS of normal peanut butter at a time and enjoy it.

Finally, a note about the cost: 3 of these 6.5 oz. jars should give you almost as many prepared servings as one 40 ounce jar of regular peanut butter. So it's roughly 3 times the cost of Jif which is my regular brand in case you hadn't figured that out (crunchy, actually).

Read more: [...]
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2012
I've never liked peanut butter growing up. My parents never had a lot of money and with four kids we lived off PBJ sandwiches. After you eat something over and over you begin to hate it. Now I'm 21 years old and recently starting dieting. I've lost 55 lbs and still losing. So sometimes when I'm going to work I want to grab a snack that will keep me full and be low on calories. I looked into those 100 calories bars and snack bags. Let me tell you the portions in those things is enough to feed a hamster. I spent the night at my friends house. We ate PBJ sandwiches. Surprising it was really good. After eating diet food for 5-6 months you can amazed how good peanut butter taste to someone who hated it for a long time. It taste like the real thing too and I don't need to go off my diet.

If you are a calorie counter here's a way you can spoil your love for PBJ sandwiches.
Two slices of Nature's Own White 40 calorie bread - 80 calories
Two spoonfuls of PB2 - 45 calories
One spoonful of Smuckers Sugar Free Jelly - 10 calories

Total: 135 calories for a whole sandwich

A regular PBJ sandwich would be:
Two slices of white bread - 130+ calories
Two tablespoons of peanut butter - 190 calories
One tablespoon of regular Jelly - 50 calories

Total - 370 calories (ah..)

Tell me is it worth it? Well not to me. I eat it almost everyday, I'm now a proud PBJ lover. I bought the chocolate too. But don't buy these inflated prices. It's $3.99 on the Netrition website or $7.98 for both of them plus shipping.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
This stuff is awesome, but at $7 for a relatively small jar it is very expensive. Also keep in mind that this powder is very fluffy and will lose a lot of volume when reconstituted.

If you take out the entire jar and mix water until it's the consistency of peanut butter, you will wind up with about 1/2 or less the original volume, so 2 jars (at $14) is about the same volume peanut butter as one jar full... ouch.

That being said, looking past the outrageous price, the product is GREAT, my two jars ended up being gobbled down in a matter of days.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
I've used this product before and I love it. I love peanut butter and this allows me to eat it without all the added fat and calories. Great in oatmeal in the morning!
on December 29, 2014
I tried a few different recipes I found online throughout the week and we have really enjoyed using these PB2s!

It has the consistency of powdered sugar so it works perfectly in things like cake icing, and it's a super-concentrated peanut taste so it gives amazing flavor!

Other than that, you can add it to protein shakes, make protein balls, pancakes, add a little water & maple syrup for the best pancake topping ever!

A tip from the company:
Just a hint... sometimes if you start out with using a little less than a tablespoon of water and then gradually adding the water to the PB2 you can get it more to a consistency that you like.
review image review image
on July 16, 2011
If you like peanut butter, but don't want all the fat and calories, you won't be disappointed. I am buying it for my 2 sisters and brother as gifts, since we are all doing WW.
on January 5, 2013
Bell Plantation PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter and PB2 with Premium Chocolate

PB2 is wonderful, and taste just like regular peanut butter. I have purchased this product twice, and plan to keep some in my pantry at all times/
on September 27, 2011
This product is awesome!!! Love it in shakes and on rice cakes. Easy to mix, tastes great, good for you!!! Inexpensive, fast shipping with Amazon. No issues here. Love it!