Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Flavor: Cocoa Almond|Size: 37 Ounce (Pack of 1)|Change
Price:$6.24 - $85.99

on April 12, 2014
I received my order of Planters Cashew Halves and Pieces and was upset. The foil seal on all 3 cans were bulging out and upon opening I found the cashews to be saturated with oil. The cans were well within their expiration date so it seems to me that the cans were not stored properly and become overheated causing the oils and gases to release from the nuts thus causing the bulging foil seal and saturated nuts. The nuts are still edible but are not as crunchy and leaves you with extremely oily fingers, you'll want to dry the nuts on some paper towels. I have ordered the same nuts from Amazon before and have not had issues until now.
review image review image review image
1515 comments|231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I manage my blood sugar level by keeping my carb count low. These give me the quenching of my sweet tooth desires and are a good source of fiber. I snack on them almost every evening. Thanks Amazon for carrying such a quality
snack product.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
I always purchase these nuts to snack on my daughter and I always end up arguing over them, the only problem I had with my last shipment was that they arrived damaged. Someone had actually stepped on the box and destroyed one of the cans but Amazon was wonderful and gave me full refund and told me to enjoy the other two cans. You gotta love that kind of service.
33 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2015
I love great snacks and particularly cashews. When it comes to nuts, Planters has been a household and well-trusted name for many decades and synonymous with quality and freshness in its nut products. However, over the years, as our food supply and sourcing has changed, so have many U.S. companies in their efforts to sustain supply to meet both U.S. and global demand and to increase revenue.

PROS:

1. Planters remains a consumer-responsive brand and continues to diversify its product line to meet consumer preferences.

CONS:

1. Many "big box" mainstream US manufacturers have again put their ahead of providing consumers with product that uses healthy food-based ingredients and oils. This product most likely is roasted in cottonseed oil-classified as a non-foods crop. What many folks may not know is that this oil is not regulated as stringently by the FDA as those oils which are grown as a food source. The concern here is that cottonseeds are cleaned by bathing them in a solution containing hexane among other toxic chemicals-a known toxin and irritant. Unfortunately, under current FDA regulations, US manufacturers are not required to identify the percentage of each oil used in any particular lot #/batch of their products. This is why you see the statement: "May contain one or more of the following oils.....", or "peanut and/or cottonseed oils". I choose to not spin the roulette wheel of safety or play the "Guess That Oil" game.

2. Planter's oil-"roasted" nuts tend to be excessively oily as other reviewers have suggested. Nuts are by nature, loaded with fat but some manufacturer's use a higher percentage. I much prefer dry-roasted cashews but they are nearly impossible to locate and when you do, they are extremely expensive.

BOTTOM LINE:

1. Purchase product (whether nuts, other snacks or any food) by reading labels carefully and avoid any that list cottonseed oil. Even if the label states peanut oil among others, you are more likely to receive product with cottonseed oil because cottonseed oil is dirt cheap for manufacturers compared to peanut oil which is expensive. A good example of this is the parallel between the use of cane sugar vs. high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Like peanut oil, cane sugar is expensive and high-fructose corn syrup is cheap, plentiful and subsidized in part by the federal government.. The choice is yours to make.

2. For the most part, the U.S. is essentially alone in the world in using oil sourced from non-food crops for their food supply. Even a visit to the dollar stores (that sell products sourced globally and cheap) will reveal that nuts, along with other snacks contain no cottonseed oils. Consider this when making purchases.

3. Consider purchasing cashews roasted exclusively in non-hydrogenated peanut or coconut oil. Years ago, most cashews in the U.S. were roasted in coconut oil-they were absolutely delicious-crunchy and crisp.

4. Contact Planters (owned by Kraft Food Group) (1-877-677-3268) or your favorite domestic manufacturers and let your voice be heard about the use of these questionable and potentially harmful ingredients. They DO listen to us, especially when it begins to compromise their bottom line.....profits.

Happy, safe snacking! Be well snack aficionados!
2828 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2016
I'm nuts about nuts and Planters has been my favorite conventional (not organic) nut brand for over 40 years.

They're yummy, as always. And I've tried many brands of cashews over the years (conventional and organic) and of all the conventional cashews I’ve had these are the absolute best. Some brands taste stale or "off" and I can never figure out why - I just spit them out and never buy them again. But Planters is always consistent in quality and flavor and they’re never too salty. They're great alone or you can use them in recipes, or make your own trail mix. I recommend these cashews when eating them alone, because they're perfect. Or use them in a recipe that calls for basic whole cashews. But if you're going to make trail mix I recommend the lightly salted kind. Here's my trail mix recipe:

1 cup Planters Deluxe Whole Cashews (lightly salted) - Planters Deluxe Whole Cashews Canister, Lightly Salted, 18.25 Ounce
1 cup Planters Cocktail Peanuts (lightly salted) - Planters Cocktail Peanuts, Lightly Salted, 16-Ounce Canisters (Pack of 6)
1 cup Diamond Walnuts - Diamond Walnuts, Shelled, 16 Oz
1 cup sesame sticks - Sincerely Nuts Sesame Sticks - One (1) Lb. Bag - Fiber Rich - Appetizing Golden Color - Delicious & Insanely Fresh - OK Kosher Certified!
2 cups raisins - Sun Maid Natural California Raisins, 20-Ounce

If you want something sweeter in your trail mix, Newman's Own Organics Organic California Raisins, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 3) seem to be a bit sweeter than Sun Maid. And you can also sweeten up your trail mix with honey or caramel coated Planters nuts:

Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts, 12-Ounce Packages (Pack of 3)
Planters Deluxe Whole Cashews Honey Roasted, 8.25 oz. (Count of 3)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 22, 2014
My favorite brand of cashew halves. This can seemed a bit more salty though, more like the regular can and not 'lightly salted' as stated on the packaging. I probably received a bad batch. Flavor is great though. Good to eat on their own or tossed in the skillet when making Asian chicken dishes, or even added into your favorite yogurt with a few raisons.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 19, 2015
Ugh! This pistachio blend was horrible. I took a handful and ate it and could not believe how bland and stale it tasted. It just tasted really expired and old. I checked the sell by date and it is 8 months away (bought in Feb 2015 and expires Oct 2015). Then I checked to see if this was an extra dry roasted variety and it is not.

It tastes like cocktails nuts left out in a dish on a bar for weeks on end, i.e., dry, and old. Even the pistachios are flavorless. I have been eating pistachios all of my life and I have never tasted one this bad that wasn't rotten. I am considering calling the company about it. If you look at the photo I provided you can see how old looking the pistachios look. They really are an off color (they are the three nuts in the middle of the cashew and peanut pile). And, again, the other nuts tasted and look just as old as the pistachios. In other words, avoid, avoid, avoid!
review image
on January 16, 2014
I do love cashews, and this large container easily takes care of the munchies. I've bought this container from Amazon several times, and there's no telling whether you get more halves or more pieces (usually more pieces). I guess it has to do with handling/shipping. These are definitely salty, so be forewarned, but they are oh so good.
VINE VOICEon May 1, 2014
Nuts are pantry staples and pistachios in the shell are an all around favorite here. Our brand of choice hadn't changed in years until I found a three pack of Planters Sea Salt and Pepper Pistachios on sale at a price too low to pass up.

My other half opened the first bag. He cracked and ate a few before saying that he didn't understand "messing with a good thing." He was not at all impressed and said he'd prefer I stick with our tried and true, lightly salted brand regardless of future sales. A day or two later I saw the bag of salt and black pepper pistachios had moved to his desk and noted that it was more than half empty.

I was not surprised. Even though I had had a first reaction similar to his, I learned that these little peppered nuts could become addicting when I almost finished off a whole bag in one sitting. It's the pepper component. It kept drawing me back until my lips became numb.

Going forward, as long as the price is comparable, I'm going to alternate these peppered pistachios with our normal, plain brand to (don't say it!) spice things up a bit :)
on September 3, 2014
Absolutely freakin' fantastic to have big cans of cashews in the house. Especially as a 3pack, so I can keep a can hidden from the rest of the family for myself. They're nice looking, presentable enough to offer to guests and use in snack mixes, but I also cook with them and add them to my veggie stir fry and occasionally fried rice. Plus I appreciate that they're lightly salted because its a good balance with plenty of salt and very flavorful, just not that overpowering amount of salt that normally coats your fingers.