5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!
great phone! i bought it for my 78 yr old father who is hard of hearing and has low vision. I can actually have phone calls with him now without yelling & repeating myself. it was easy to set up, easy for him to use and the price was right.
Published 11 months ago by Jonathan Gray

Published 17 months ago by F. Wong

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the elderly, people with poor vision, or those with reduced dexterity, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Plantronics 58003.001 na 1-Handset Clarity Ensemble Touch Screen Phone (Office Product)
My mother had already owned the CapTel 840i caption phone which she uses daily. And when she needed a second phone for a different room, I decided to try this new Plantronics model. I love gadgets - my family has owned every iphone model made, as well as several iPads, multiple Amazon kindles, and my media centers use Logitech Harmony touch-screen remotes. But.....this Plantronics has taught me that touch-screen isn't the right interface for everybody. The good news about the Plantronics - it looks nice, its new, its high-tech looking, and it has a touch-screen. The bad-news, its a terrible choice for the elderly. (1) The default text size of this phone is much too small, although you can adjust the font size, it must be done with every single phone call. (2) the text re-size button is difficult to grab and adjust (3) The button which enables captions changes locations depending on the screen. When the phone is ringing, its in the middle, when you pick up the phone it moves to the bottom. (4) the touch-screen lacks any physical feedback and its visual feedback is sluggish. When you push the caption-on button there is a delay before the button highlights (as well as other buttons) (5) The speed-dial buttons are buried menus. (6) touch-screens are just harder to use at night. imagine waking up in the dark and trying to focus and use buttons on a bright touch-screen. The phone works, and it does everything its supposed to do, but the interface is just not intuitive or easy to use.

Old-school buttons, and old-school color LCD displays wins this round. Low-tech is better. The older CapTel model is much easier to use day or night, the buttons provide real-world tactile feedback. Its screen is easier to read, plus it remembers your font settings. In addition, the caption button is in the exact same location 100% of the time - and having a physical button that glows red when its enabled just further enhances its ease-of-use... nice. And the 3 physical speed-dial buttons are always in the same place 100% of the time without digging through menus -- so easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, November 22, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, February 17, 2013
At age 91 it takes time for me to understand the phone,but I can use the basic part.I expect that I will do better in time.It is agreat advancement for the hard of hearing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard for older person to hang handset, February 14, 2014
My mother's hands shake. She could not get the receiver to stay on the hook.
Therefore, we returned the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated review two and a half months later, January 13, 2014
M. Boulden "ivaluevalue" (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
Update 11march 2014: phone consistently goes dead even though it is plugged directly into the wall. Clarity says I need to return phone to their service center for repair or replacement and I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING TO THE SERVICE CENTER since the 30 day Amazon return window has closed. This is not acceptable and Clarity should offer me a refund of my postage when they confirm the issue. I will update the review if they do.

I purchased this phone for an 86 year old hearing-impaired man. He is not very computer-literate but so far is reasonably impressed with the phone. My list of pros and cons might help you make a decision as to whether or not this phone will work for you:
Pros:
1. Easy for me to set up. It connected to my house WiFi almost immediately and the required FCC registration process was simple. I am a senior citizen and fairly computer literate. I don't think the user would have known how to connect it to the internet although the illustrations were straightforward--it was just easier for me to do it for him.
2. Great sound quality and the available Boost, tone and volume adjustments allowed it to be tweaked further to improve the caller's voice.
3. Menu screen seems to be pretty intuitive despite others' reports that it is not
4. The captioning service is adequate and free. It takes several seconds for a captioning operator to connect and the captioning is probably 90% accurate, but I suspect this is a function of the captioning service rather than the phone itself. Ideally you'd see the caption almost simultaneously with the caller's voice but there is a slight delay. Still, it's a huge improvement over no captioning. I love that you can get answering machine calls captioned as well as live calls.
Cons:
1. When a caller leaves a message (e.g., when we're out), there is no visual indication that a message has been left. You have to physically go to the phone and check to see if there are any messages. I'd love it to have a flashing red light to show that there is a message.
2. I couldn't get the voice tag to work even though we have caller ID etc. I can record a name but when that person calls, all you here is a buzzy faint and incomprehensible sound through the talking caller ID. My other phone (non-captioning) did a great job of announcing the name or the number so I can't figure out the problem.
3. I have to remind the user to press the CC captioning button (icon) firmly; it's a touchscreen but it's not as sensitive as the touchscreen on tablets or cellphones.
4. At times, in the middle of the night, the screen lights up. Spooky, or else our dogs are calling their friends...
Overall, the benefits of the phone outweigh the cons and the user is satisfied (not an easy thing to accomplish, trust me!!!) We have had the phone for one week and so far, it's a keeper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Internet connection, May 25, 2013
Did not say in description that Internet connection was needed. Purchased for a senior citizen on fixed income and cannot afford the Internet. Would have been ideal phone otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product that delivers what it promises, January 17, 2014
Gail (Huntsville, Albania) - See all my reviews
Bought this phone for my 84 year old mother who is extremely hard of hearing. We've tried amplified phones but they don't help. This one does.

Setup for me took all of 5 minutes, if that long. Mom has cable-delivered phone and high speed wireless internet service in her apartment via Comcast. I had the internet installed initially for me and the rest of the family, not for her, but it's essential for this phone. If you have a weak internet signal it probably won't work very well. But for me, I plugged in two cords, connected to her internet with her password, got a 5 bar signal, and we were ready to go.

Other reviews note that there is a brief delay while the caption typer comes on the line. This is true. That takes some patience. It also has a touch screen like an iPhone or iPad, so if you aren't able to handle that, you'll have trouble getting used to the phone. When Mom answers, she has to press the "button" on the touch screen that signals the captioning company to come on the line. The captioner signs on, Mom says, "they're on," and then I can begin to talk. There is a learning curve for Mom, and she's not entirely comfortable with it yet, but I think she will be in a few more weeks. She's learned to use an iPad since August, so I expect she'll eventually get the hang of this.

Bottom line:
1. Great product that does what it promises. Certainly state of the art right now!
2. Set up requires a strong wireless internet signal and some basic installation skills. If you have a wireless router in your home and can keep your own devices connected, you can set up this phone in a flash.
3. The person who is going to be using it needs to have a reasonably clear mind. If you think your elderly parents who can't remember what they had for breakfast are going to be able to use this phone, you are probably mistaken.
4. The real heros here are the folks at Clear Captions. I always thank the captioner before I hang up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok with captioning on basic calls, January 15, 2014
Cliegal (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I've found the phone to be good with basic conversations, only if I ask the speaker to slow down. Unfortunately it doesn't help at all in real time work environments. The captioning can be horrendous. The other issue is that the handset falls off the phone too easily and being hearing impaired I don't realize it until I am in front of the phone and see it. I will be off the hook for hours without me being aware.

I find that I get better caption results from an older, simpler Cap-tel phone most of the time. This one is prettier but doesn't work any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves quality of life., January 8, 2014
Excellent phone. It was a gift for my parents who are hard of hearing. The set up was EASY for my tech challenged parents. The graphics on the phone are easy to read. You can adjust the size of the read out to be large text. There is a very slight delay in the relay but, who cares if you know what people are saying! The conversation is slowed down a bit by the delay but, in the long run everyone is happier knowing that they are being heard and do not have to say "say that again please." The phone has made life better!

We tested the phone's accuracy by me whispering into the reciever. The people on my end couldn't even hear me and the phone was sensitive enough to pick up my voice. Sometimes when you speak too fast the phone can't determine if it was one long word or a sentence and can get confused. That doesn't really happen often.

Overall..it has improved the quality of life for everyone involved. It also makes for a better conversation when having to call any type of cutomer support!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold as new, but received item was a pre-owned unit..., February 13, 2014
Also it appears that the system would not work with any Belkin brand wireless routers. After much installation work, their customer service number confirmed that the device does not work with any Belkin wireless router. This is a rip-off. Do not purchase.