5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of hardware, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Plantronics-CS540 Convertible Wireless Headset (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this item as a replacement for my old CS55. My CS55 worked fine in my last two offices but when I came to my new job customers would tell me that they couldn't hear me when I spoke to them. I could hear them, but I would cut in and out and it was quite frustrating.

This product came on time and worked perfectly out of the box (despite the UPS box showing up like it had been mauled by a bear with chainsaws for arms...great job UPS...but I digress).

This was very easy to setup and the base is actually smaller than the old CS55 which is great for the limited space on my desk. It came nearly fully charged and was ready to use in about 20 minutes. I use the headband+earpiece because it is more stable than just the earpiece, and it it sits comfortably over my head. The sound coming through into my ear is clear and crisp.

The volume and mute button is much easier to use than on the old CS55, it protrudes more and is easier to push. The volume button makes a toned noise as you go up and down which is somehow kind of nice and refreshing. There is also a light on the base...green means it's on, flashing green means it's charging, and red means you have it on mute.

I am able to wander further from my desk than with the old CS55. In fact, I could go through a door to our kitchen area which is separated from our office by a central dividing wall and I could still hear the conversation and speak as well. I can now get more coffee while on long calls.

The actual microphone arm is more versatile from an adjustment standpoint, instead of only rotation on an axis it is actually more of a ball and socket type thing which allows for some spherical adjustment (up and down as well as closer and further from your mouth).

The best is that there is zero interference from the 20 other wireless headsets in my new office.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it to any sales professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Headset Really Helps, January 2, 2012
I have used this product for about one month. It was easy to install, and I have found it to be both reliable and functional.

Frequently I am on conference calls that can range up to several hours in length, and I wanted something that would allow me to top off my coffee while I'm still listening to a call. The coffee is about 150 feet from my office, and separated by the building core. This headset works perfectly for the entire distance. Even for the longer calls, the headset has been comfortable, and the sound quality has been excellent.

I definitely recommend this headset.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, June 8, 2012
I bought after having an ergonomic review and was told I would need a wireless hand set.

I use the earpiece setting that hangs on my ear, not over my head.

The sound quality is great, as good or better than any cell phone.

The charging stand looks good and doesn't stand out against my desk.

As for comfort, over all it doesn't feel any heavier than a standard bluetooth set, but I do tend to take it off and give my ear a rest every few hours.

What I don't like is that in order to use the full one button touch answer/disconnect, you need to buy an extra component for another $50. That is the only thing that gives this a 4 start rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headset!, October 19, 2012
We've been using these headsets with our Polycom office phones for the last 3-4 months and the work very well. These are probably the best wireless headsets I've ever used.

Here are the things I like about them:

1) These are light-weight & comfortable. Since I often wear mine for 10-12 hours a day, this is very important.

2) The sound quality is excellent. It really is like talking directly on a wired headset.

3) One major problem I've had with Plantronics headsets in the past is that they aren't very good with eliminating wind noise. Fortunately, these perform very well in this area. I can talk just fine under a ceiling fan or walking outside by the shop with no issues.

4) Having an effective wireless headset really frees me up to get stuff done while on the phone all day.

5) The range is very good. We can walk all over a 3000 square foot space without issues. It does reach the edge of its range when we go out to the outdoor shop; but, that should probably be expected.

Even though I love this headset overall, there are a few issues:

1) By default, the headsets come with a cable that hooks up just fine with Polycom phones - but they don't support the answer/hang-up button on the headset. That basically means you have to be by the phone to either answer or hang up from a call. The best way we found to resolve this is to use the Plantronics 38439-11 EHS Cable, which is a great addition to this phone. The downside is that it's kind of expensive for just a cable...

2) There are multiple people working in a small space, and I'm regretting that everyone else has so much mobility. I mean, come on! It's OK for me to pace all over the office, but not everyone else. :)

Overall, I would highly recommend this headset to anyone who is using an office phone and doesn't want to be tied down to their desk all day - especially if you spend a lot of time on the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars sleek and wireless, July 30, 2012
We just started getting these in and they look sleek, sound good, and have good distance.

They can be used with/without the over the head adapter. Without it they look like a normal bluetooth earpiece with a boom mic.

This PL-CS540 is the version with just the wireless headset. I suggest also getting the APV-63 (electronic hook switch adpater) instead of the HL10 handset lifter. Again, it adds to the sleekness of one-touch answer/hangup without a mechanical device lifting and lowering your handset to answer a call. There's a more expensive CS540 with HL10, but that's not what you want. The versions are the same, so the pictures of the CS540 with it's charging base are the exact same as what you get here with the PL-CS540.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, November 4, 2011
This is a wonderful. It is very lightweight. At my prior company I used the CS55 model which this model apparently replaced. Same good quality but lightweight.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works with Nortel T7316, October 24, 2013
I'd like to give this thing more than 3 stars, but it does leave you wanting for a better design.

Let's start with its chief fault...QUESTIONABLE FIT.

The headset comes with two ways to wear it. The first is an "ear hook" with a soft insert that rests just outside your ear canal. This option had the merit of being more secure on your head, but even with two sizes of inserts and three sizes of hooks, I couldn't find a way to wear the headset for more than an hour without having ear pain. I'm sure satisfaction with this configuration varies from user to user, but the insert should really be more ergonomic to the human ear. Of course, I know in jobs that mandate hearing protection, some places pay big money for custom-molded ear plugs so the workers don't have discomfort from wearing ear plugs all day. I don't doubt the same could be done here, but at a substantially higher cost.

The second option is the monophone headset. Ultimately, this is what I used, but you can't wear it like a standard headset. The ear pad has to rest FLAT against your ear's natural shape or it hurts after an hour or so of wearing. So, I have this thing cocked at a 45-ish degree angle on my head so that it sits painlessly against my ear. More so, the tension on the headset isn't that great, so don't expect it to stay on should you bend over to pick something up off the floor. It might stay on or it might fall off. Depends on the shape of the wearer's head.

HAVING SAID ALL OF THE ABOVE, the product has worked great...so far. For the Nortel T7316, you will need the HL10 Handset Lifter B0006B088W

Without the lifter, you have to manually work the phone to start and end calls. With the lifter, the remote answer/hang up function works from the headset.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok for the money., October 30, 2012
Bought four. About a month into using them, one is already static sounding and one has lost its rubber piece that fits in the ear. They are just ok based on price and features. I will be looking for other products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., February 14, 2012
I have a ton of projects on my desk and have to sit on the phone with developers and vendors for hours each day. This was simple to set up, very clear sound and easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great before it fizzes out, March 11, 2013
I'm on my second one of these. The first one worked great for about 6 months, then began buzzing intermittently, which I could stop by wiggling the volume button on the headset. When it broke, I could hear the caller just fine, but my voice was garbled and echoing - neither the caller nor I could clearly hear my words. I bought a second one because I already have the handset lifter, but if this one fizzes out, I won't buy another from this brand. Too bad, because when it works, it works well.

Plantronics-CS540 Convertible Wireless Headset