4.0 out of 5 stars Good for voice recognition
Published on February 2, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware installs fine with XP, software fails.
The device installs fine with windows XP (SP1). I can use the microphone, and it's OK.
However the software fails to install.
Plantronics support is not very helpful - claiming that my USB chipset is at fault (some install shield problem). They suggested searching the web for some answers!
It's unclear what value the softwar adds - and again Plantronics are...
Published on December 31, 2002 by fosea

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for voice recognition, February 2, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Plantronics DSP-100 Digitally-Enhanced USB Speech Recognition PC Headset with Software (Personal Computers)
Been using this on Win2K machine for over a year. Does pretty good job for voice recognition in Dragon, and it's not the most expensive USB headset. Recognition with this is definitely better than analog (non-USB) headset going thru a soundcard. Only drag is that the Plantronics software is not up to snuff -- fairs poorly in comparison to the headset (which is of pretty good quality). I initially had trouble getting the software to recognize the headset at all, and Plantronics support was unhelpful -- as mentioned elsewhere their knee-jerk response is that "it must be your fault, go away." Have overcome their software problems by ignoring their configuation software and just setting up in target application (e.g., in Dragon).

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware installs fine with XP, software fails., December 31, 2002
fosea "F" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
However the software fails to install.
It's unclear what value the softwar adds - and again Plantronics are not fortcoming with information there either.

2.0 out of 5 stars underengineered product, September 26, 2004
The DSP-100 has limited size adjustment and is poorly designed ergonomically. The headset plastic is flimsy and the set does not sit snugly or securely. The microphone does not extend far enough to clear the face or neck. Sound quality is adequate. Voices are recognizable, tone quality is acceptable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocks on a mac!!!, August 13, 2003
So sorry to hear all the bad reviews from PC users. On a Mac (as usual) you simply plug it in and it's available for whatever software you're using. The DSP-300 ($...) has 2 earpieces which is obviously much better for music, but if you're using this for video conferencing or speech programs this is a great deal for $...

5.0 out of 5 stars USB that's cheep, and clear, January 24, 2005
Brian Dowrick (Hawthorne, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I just pluged it into my Mac, and it worked. i love mac, sometimes. :)

the sound is far better then other headset mics, I've tried.

I use it to recoed voices, for Animation. You can even whisper, and it

sounds clear.

A very good choice for Mac.

I use it only for recording voices. i have a different set I use for gaming.

One that will not fall off. I bought this for recording voices. That is why

i don't care if it only has one Headphone.

My review is for the Mic only.

i love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with ViaVoice on Macintosh, February 17, 2004
By A Customer
I plugged it into the Macintosh. I selected it in the Control Panel. It worked the very first time. I have not loaded any software.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent voice quality, May 7, 2009
I got this free at work, so I can't speak to the "value" of it; so I will just list the pros and cons for my situation: I use a VoIP softphone occasionally on my laptop. I did not receive any software with it so can't evaluate that either.

Pros:
Installed automatically without downloading drivers (on Windows XP SP3)
Works flawlessly
Sound quality is excellent
Mute and volume control on cord

Cons:
The cord is much longer than I need (about 10 feet)
The "USB digital interface module" is rather large

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for several years, May 5, 2008
I've had this headset for about 5 years now, and have been happy with it. audio quality for voice is great, and the mic picks up voice rather well. I don't even know what software was bundled with it, I only bought it to use as a gaming headset. The fact it's a mono headset appealed to me so i could use headset for voice, and speakers for regular game sounds.

The only complaint I'd have about the headset is that it doesn't stay on the best. I find it very comfortable as it rests fairly lightly on my head, but after about 20 minutes of gaming I have to adjust it back into position.

4.0 out of 5 stars I used this headset for many years, but it's time for an upgrade, March 29, 2012
I think I've used this headset for about ten years. Long enough that the stickers on the fob containing the electronics fell off of their own accord, and long enough that the original earpad rotted away and had to be replaced. It worked on a PowerPC Mac, intel Macs, and Windows. It's natively supported by all the operating systems, and it always worked.

However, it has gotten to the point where if you jostle it, the sound dies in windows and you have to unplug it, plug it back in, go to the Sound control panel, fuss with a bunch of things, and sometimes it comes back. Other times it's no good until I reboot. The cord on the headset is extremely long, so I don't like to leave it plugged in because it always looks like a mess. And it's impossible to avoid running over the expanses of extra cable with my chair, causing the disconnection problem discussed above.

If the problem had emerged years ago, I'd have given 2 or 3 stars. Because I got so many good years of use out of the thing, I'm going with 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent voice quality. Other reviews complain about non-advertised features, February 16, 2012
I've had trouble with static when using standard plug mics (aux 3.5mm). I'm assuming some sort of interference. I haven't had static with either of the 2 usb mics I've had (other being Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000. The DSP100 however has much better voice quality than the lifechat. Very good quality. You can listen to a sample of me using it here: [...]
Other reviewers here are very uninformed. One person said someone else claimed it worked with a PS2 game but when they couldn't get it to work they gave it a low rating. Another complains about the lack of speech recognition software. I never even bothered to check to see if it was on the cd because there's free speech recognition software online that this is definitely compatible with (as are all mics).