4.0 out of 5 stars Way more convenient than a conventional microphone!
I purchased this headset for two reasons only: to use with Internet telephony, and to use with my language learning programs. I have been pleased, especially since it wasn't very expensive and I wasn't expecting much. Here are what I consider the pros and cons to be:
Published on May 22, 2000 by Rusty Keele

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, Sounds Good, but not a perfect fit
This is a great stereo mic headset that I purchased for the new version of half-life. I am very happy with them except for the fit. The plastic is too thin, so they don't grip my head very well. Besides that, they are great.
Edit: They broke, and I'm not sure why. The mic stopped working. (yes, its still plugged in).
Published on September 21, 2001 by Sean M. Benton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Way more convenient than a conventional microphone!, May 22, 2000
Rusty Keele (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics LS1 Lightweight Stereo PC Headset (Personal Computers)
THE GOOD: 1) It is lightweight and comfortable. It is easy to adjust the headband and the boom microphone. There have been a few times where I have gone for hours without realizing that they are on my head! 2) Convenience has to be its greatest asset! It is much more convenient to use than a hand held microphone and speakers. I have been using Dialpad.com, and this headset has taken care of the echo that other people hear. It also doesn't pick up as much background noise as my other mic did. As for the language programs, it is much nicer using this headset! Now I can type on the keyboard, or use the mouse, while I am practicing my Spanish! (And my wife doesn't have to listen along with me!)
THE BAD: 1) The cord is a little bit inconvenient. The 3 meters are nice - if you like walking around while you talk. But I am almost always sitting right in front of the computer, and the cord does present itself as quite a bundle. The cord connecting the boom microphone to the headset sometimes pokes me right behind my ear, but I have been trying to tame it so that it will stay down in place, and it is starting to work now. 2) If you want to use your speakers then you have to unplug the microphone and plug the speakers back in. This probably isn't too much of a problem, unless you're like me and you have your computer crammed into a corner!
OVERALL: This was the best headset/microphone combo that we could find for this price - and it has been well worth putting up with all the little inconveniences! Go for it! (Oh, did I mention that it comes with a one-year warranty?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, April 20, 2000
By A Customer
I have to admit I didn't expect too much for the price, but I have been very pleased with the quality of these headphones. The mircophone works well, the inline volume control is handy, the sound is pretty good, and they are actually quite comfortable. I have spent up to two hours wearing the headphones and didn't encounter the discomfort that usually comes with "Walkman" type headphones (this was the biggest surprise). Obviously these aren't going to sound like a $200 set, but for the price they are pretty good. I use the headphones for making calls over the internet and for that they work very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sound, most comfortable headset I've ever used!, November 16, 2000
When I needed a new headset( I wanted to try internet telephony), I wanted more than a simple mono set. I wanted a great pair of headphones that hopefully had a decent mike. The Plantronics LS-1 is quite simply the best headset I've ever had. Overall quality of the h'set is first rate. The sound quality is fantastic. It's on par with any high end h'phones I've tried. Combine this with the "weightless" comfort and you have a winner. I read other reviews and all the accolades on comfort are true. The mike is very good quality, no reverb as on cheaper h'sets. I'd recommend as stereo headphones, even if you never use the mike, just rip it off if ya like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it its worth it, January 26, 2000
By A Customer
This microphone is the best microphone you can buy for the money. Actually I am using this microphone to write this review. This will adjust to your head shape and you can adjust the microphone to any position and it is so comfortabl. This also has stereo sound so you can use it as your speakers or you can listen to loud the music when you're parents are home. So if you have enough money I will get this product faster than could say buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics LS1 Lightweight Stereo PC Headset, September 19, 2000
This is a wonderful headset. It gets the job done. Works very well with dialpad and phonefree. I highly recommend this product to anyone who spends time talking on the computer. For the price you can't beat it. Enjoy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable and cool looking, January 2, 2001
By A Customer
I just compared the LS1 and HS1 side-by-side. I was very surprised that I decided to return the HS1. The HS1 definitely sounds better. The bass on the LS1 is very weak by comparison. It is obvious that the LS1 is designed more for general purpose listening.
However, the LS1 seems to be much better designed. First of all, it looks far better than the HS1. The LS1 is sleek, very light, and has this nice metal look. The HS1 is very bulky in comparison and feels very plasticky. The microphone boom also seems odd on the HS1. I had a hard time adjusting it to put it close enough to my mouth. It seemed like it only adjusted up and down, while the LS1 could be adjusted much more.
Secondly, the LS1 is much more comfortable. I noticed as soon as I put it on, that it was very lightweight and unnoticeable. The HS1 isn't "adjusted" per se to fit your head, it is spring loaded so that you just pull it down on your head. While it generally stayed on my head, I found a nagging pressure on the top of my head. Plus, the right earpiece kept popping to the front for some reason.
In constrast, I made several calls with dialpad.com with the LS1 and barely noticed it was on my head. I also played several games of Unreal Tournament for hours and found it 100% comfortable. It is an open air design which prevents your ears from getting sweaty.
Lastly, because of the spring-loaded mechanism on the HS1, I found it awkward to try to pull the headphones off on one-side (e.g., when your wife is talking to you). The LS1 is much more flexible.
I would definitely recommend this headset if you are going to use it for Internet telephony. I am disappointed that the sound quality isn't good enough for listening to music or really intense games, but I don't really see anything else on the market right now. If Plantronics could combine the sound of the HS1 with the design of the LS1, that would be a really winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most convenient headset out there..., December 20, 2000
By A Customer
Okay, I bought this headset to try to get the echo from dialpad.com free phone service eliminated. I expected the headset to be of very good sound quality and it's better then I expected. This is great for dialpad.com and it's great in listening to internet radio on the web. Good for echo.com and/or radiofreecash.com. So this is a great product, I totally recommened this headset then any other, especially for the cost of price it's great, Oh ya- Also if you hate those earphones from walkmans- This is so comfortable. Sometimes I forget that there even on my head. So like I said- give this a try and you will experience a ultimate, great sound quality product! YA

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, August 3, 2000
Esteban Salinas (Fair Oaks, California United States) - See all my reviews
Works great for dail pad especially in reducing echo and other sounds...great noice cancellation and very light weight. I talk to my girlfriend for hours with this thing on and sometimes forget it is on! The only thing i did not like was that the volume adjustment did not work well and often ruined the sound quality, you have to have it set perfectly in order for it to work, maybe i just got a defective unit or something..but if you tape it in place it works fine. hence i did not give it a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for the price!, May 6, 2000
By A Customer
These headphones are easily the best that you can buy for the price. Not only are they very attractive, but they are comfortable to the point where you forget they are even on your head. The sound is good and the boom mic is very well designed. I love everything about this product, including the fact that it has a 3 meter cord. These headphones are even better than ones I have tried that are more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for a Plantronics headset., March 21, 2001
Cameron (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I just received my shipment of 25 headsets. So far so GREAT! I work in a call center where we use the unit to communicate with customers over the internet, so it is important to have a unit with good sound and lasting durability. We were using the cheaper units from various computer stores and they would "die" after one month. The LS1 is constructed to be far more durable and has better sound quality. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone who needs a headset for their computer applications.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›