4.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics M214C Headset
Published on September 17, 2006 by Mike in Ohio

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not so great anymore (was: Great headset!)
My original review 1/18/2008: The best headset we've had yet. Works perfectly with 2 different phones, one old and one newer. Very comfortable, and has a quality feel to it. The inline volume & mute are very handy. Ordered a couple more because it's hard to find a good headset at such a low price.

UPDATE 3/1/2009: Over a year later, we're still using the...
Published on January 18, 2008 by backwoodsman

4.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics M214C Headset, September 17, 2006
Mike in Ohio "Mike in Ohio" (Bellbrook, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics M214C Headset with Adjustable Volume (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this locally from an office supply. I paid considerably more for mine, because I needed it in a hurry. It comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty. It has two sliding switches and a wheel type volume control on the cord. One switch is a two position sensitivity/volume control for the microphone (high and low), and the other is a sliding microphone mute switch. The microphone is fairly long and wraps around just to the corner of your mouth.

I sent myself a voice mail using the headset to check for voice and sound quality. The microphone records well and is fairly directional, so normal side room noises are not picked up. The sound quality is satisfactory, but certainly not high fidelity. The headband would become annoying if it was worn for long periods. For a very inexpensive headset used occasionally, this one works reasonably well. If you spend long hours on the phone, invest the money to buy professional quality office headset.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not so great anymore (was: Great headset!), January 18, 2008

UPDATE 3/1/2009: Over a year later, we're still using the original headset, it's been used several times a day every day, it still works great and looks new, and we still like it just as well.

UPDATE 8/3/2012: We liked the first one so well, I got 3 or 4 more as spares. I just opened the last one, and every one of them had the cable bent very sharply in the package at the inline volume control. The cable eventually breaks internally at that point, then the headset is useless. They're now outside the warranty period, so Plantronics offered to replace them at the "discounted price" of $15 each (list price is $15.99, and as I write this Amazon sells them for $13.86). They'd have replaced the last one free before I opened it, but it would've cost half the headset's value to send it back -- not such a good deal after all.

I see that this headset has lots of great reviews from past years, but starting this year (2012) there are now lots of bad reviews. So clearly they've changed it for the worse.

So I can no longer recommend it.

UPDATE 8/13/2013: We've switched to standard computer headsets with Headset Buddy adapters to plug them into the cordless phones. It's easy to find inexpensive, good quality computer headsets with noise cancelling mic, and a 2-ear headset is a lot easier to hear in a noisy environment, like when someone else is watching TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no more - this is a great headset for cordless phone, December 11, 2007
Y. Ho "Yifong" (Budd Lake, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
After I did the research and studied many review, I decided to purchase this headset from Amazon. The sound quality is excellent in comparison to several other brand/model that I own. Seriously, this product has exceeded my expactation for a $18 piece. You can control the volume and the mute right from the headset wire. I also like the microphone stick which is not the flexible type that is easily out of shape. The weight of the headset is pretty light and it fits quite well. I used it to talk on the phone and walked around, then I totally forgot that I was wearing a headset. The headset also works on my Motorola cell phone. The padding on the ear feels very confortable. I am happy with the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Headset is A-Okay, October 12, 2008
We purchased two of these plantronics headsets for use of our cordless phones. We have a Motorola, Sony, and Panosonic cordless phones around the house and the M214C Plantronics headsets works relatively well. Since the headsets are not battery operated volume you hear is never real high, but Plantronics headset seem to have the best volume and a voice clarity in the market.

The drawbacks to this model is the over-the-head band is not ajustable and loose for kids. The boom clarity is a little bit tinny, but all words are I speak are understandable.

This is the best value headset I have had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plantronics Comparison M214 & M175, November 4, 2009
With multiple house phones and multiple cell phones I needed some new headsets. Before ordering I was able to do side-by-side comparisons of the Plantronics M214C and the M175C. Tried 4 phones. A Uniden 5.8, Uniden 2.4, Vtech 5.8, and LX9360 cell. Tests were done in a home-office setting.

The older Uniden 2.4 phone sounded rather "mushy" with both headsets.

On all other phones the 214C sounded much better and was the clear winner. More crisp and better fidelity. (it also costs less)

I suspect, but could not test the theory, the M175C has a better noise canceling design and would be a better choice in a noisy environment (e.g., your car). My experience with other microphones leads me to the opinion that "noise canceling" designs typically result in less fidelity.

In any event... my tests also bear out that your overall sound quality for home-wireless or cell phones is a function of the combination of the phone and the headset. The same headset on different phones can sound very different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Bargain, July 5, 2009
My work involves many hours on the phone every day. I have a drawer full of headsets, wired and wireless, ranging from less than $10 to close to $100. The Plantronics M214C is the one I use every day. Sound quality is loud and clear, both incoming and outbound. I love the mute switch on the cord -- invaluable on lenthy conference calls. I use the M214C plugged in to the wireless handset of my (DECT) land-line phone. It's an inexpensive and highly functional set up -- and the total cost for phone + the headset was less than $40! Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out!!! Mute is still audible, March 5, 2010
Watch out! The mute on this still allows some sound to get through. That can be a big problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mic is nearly inaudible to other parties, useless., December 10, 2009
I've had a Plantronics CT12 wireless system for 5 flawless years. The headset finally got a short in the cord (after 5 years of daily use) so I replaced it with this unit.

The first 3 people I called said they could barely hear me, no matter what mic setting I used. I should have paid more attention to the other reviews that mentioned that ;-)

The cord is very thin and seems fragile. The box with the volume control/mic volume/mute button on it rattles if you slightly shake it. The headband is all plastic with lots of twisting play in it, the non-headphone side is bare plastic. The mic boom doesn't adjust, unless you include up and down, and it's way too close to the mouth.

My other Plantronics stuff is so good, I'm amazed they sell this under their name.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality, rigid headband & microphone, April 16, 2009
One of the worst headsets I have ever endured. I had it 2 days before returning it. I could scarcely hear the people at the other end due to static and hissing, while in comparison the new Jensen headset Jensen JTH940 Telephone Headset I purchased the same day had none on the same calls. Also, although the product packaging claimed for the headset to have an adjustable boom microphone, it clearly did not. The arm of the microphone was made of hard plastic that would've broken if I'd attempted to bend it. The headband was by default WAY too small in curvature, meaning when I spread the sides to fit over my head there was a threatening creak/snap of strained plastic-scarey!

The Jensen serves its purpose very well and I am happy with it. This brand will not be considered for purchase again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Volume can be a Little Too Low, February 1, 2007
N. Lim (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Pros: comfortable, adjustable, long cord, clip on, light weight, good price. I found it comfortable enough to speak with someone for over 30 minutes.

Cons: I have the volume on both my AT&T 2.4 GHz cordless telephone (model E2718B) and the headset turned up to maximum. Depending on who is on the other end, it can still be a little hard to hear.

Rate and Discover Movies